Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
After a couple of 12 miles test rides i thought it was time to venture further afield .

Well my Mercian Cycles is really a bike for all rides . Today's 39 miles have been over back lanes ,main roads and a stretch of the Brampton valley cycle route .

IMG_20170422_070616991_HDR.jpg

Route was up and across to Kelmarsh then along to Maidwell where i picked up the Brampton Valley line and stayed on till Station Cottages where i rejoined the tarmac and headed for Brixworth ,Holcot, Moulton,Overstone ,Sywell and home via the mad mile.

IMG_20170422_072900601.jpg
IMG_20170422_071306890.jpg
IMG_20170422_070757783.jpg
IMG_20170422_071243695.jpg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
A lovely sunny Saturday morning, with a chilly wind from the North West, which meant I again came back into the house to put on an extra layer, after getting the bike out of the shed.

Still on the hybrid at the moment, but @Rickshaw Phil is coming over tomorrow morning to help set the remainder of the new racer up for me and so should be using it soon!

I felt a bit lacking in energy when I got up, for some reason and so changed my mind in the ride I was going to do, replacing the steep hills of Kenley with some more gentle climbing.

Began by heading to Betton Abbots and then over the lumps at Chilton, to Atcham, where I crossed the bridge towards the Mytton and Mermaid hotel. I was going to head through the grounds of Attingham Park NT but could see loads of cows on the road (I don't do cows! :surrender:) and there was a lot of traffic heading in there as well, so I stuck to the rat run to Berwick Wharf which was better than usual today.

Turned off onto Pelham Rd, into Upton Magna and there seemed to be a plague of little green caterpillars around, which were landing in places I didn't want them to and were very itchy!!

I was riding into the wind and it was quite tough going down to Withington, where a chap stepped out of his house and crossed the road without looking, straight into my path, meaning a sharp swerve was needed :wacko:. I then arrived at Walcot and took the road around to Rodington Heath. I was thinking to myself that it was a while since I'd used this section of road and when checking Strava I found that it was September 2014!!!!:eek: Where does time go?

Next was the long drag up the mile long hill to Haughmond and it was tough going into the wind as well. I then turned out of the wind and enjoyed the fast descent back to Upton Magna and then to Uffington, where I joined the old canal path. The working party were there, doing some work on the restoration of the Shrewsbury to Newport canal, but at the rate they are going I will have left this planet before it's anywhere near being in use again.

I followed the cycle paths back to Reabrook and then back through the estate home.

22.5 miles and felt much more energised from the ride

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Found out the hard way yesterday that my new Defy 1 does not corner as well as my hybrid - one broken collar bone :sad: and 6 weeks of a sling :sad: to ponder the Defy - currently thinking of some 28mm tyres with a degree of grip rather than the rather slick 25mm it came with and Joes Run Flats as well.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Found out the hard way yesterday that my new Defy 1 does not corner as well as my hybrid - one broken collar bone :sad: and 6 weeks of a sling :sad: to ponder the Defy - currently thinking of some 28" tyres with a degree of grip rather than the rather slick 25" it came with and Joes Run Flats as well.

Postman delivers get well soon message.Cake and coffee helps recovery.

postman

Legendary Member
Ok last night as i sat with George.I had decided not to go out.But i had a good sleep and got up at eight.The weather looked good,i laid out my cycling clothing.Had my cycling brekkie toast and porridge with honey.Had my shave and shower.Then talked myself into going out.Only Otley i am glad i did.It was cool i did get a headache cool wind bald head.Stopped off at my fave cafe,named Cafe,Cafe.Where i sat outside with my MASH 4077th cap on to warm my head.
I sat and watched the world go bye drank three decaffe Lattes,then had a walk about.It was market day.I had not been fast going out,but i rode home better.I also drank two 500ml of my new sports drink High Five,Pink Grapefruit it tastes great.
Finally my Daughter is home from Uni she downloaded my Strava run for me :hyper:.She also showed me how to do it.:wahhey:.Feeling great 24 miles.

bruce1530

Guru
I also drank two 500ml of my new sports drink High Five,Pink Grapefruit it tastes great.

I’ve got some of that too, and quite like the taste.

However, i left half an inch in the bottle one weekend when i put the bike away. When I got the bike back out the next weekend, the bottle was stained bright pink. No amount of water/detergent/scrubbing or even milton fluid will shift it!

I wonder what it does to our insides?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A beautiful day tody. Wall to wall sunshine so I made the most of it. A 10 mille loop. Not too much traffic about. Everything was fine until a bird flew up from my left, startling me. I ended up on the grass having fallen off. My first thought, did anyone see
second, is my bike ok and third ow, my ankle hurts. All in all, had a great time.

WP_20170422_12_35_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_59_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_59_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_33_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_35_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_59_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_59_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20170422_12_33_06_Pro.jpg

galaxy

Veteran
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG
Another weekend of night shift. Up at midday n off for a potter. 12 or so miles from reading to Theale m back again.

bruce1530

Guru
Really good ride today. Out about 8am - fine weather, sunny but still a bit chilly, no wind. Quite soon, the sun had a bit of heat in it....

Followed the main road inland, and as soon as I could got onto the farm roads. After about 15km I was at the bottom of a road that goes to a farm up near the top of a hill close to where I was brought up - never cycled up there, in fact I haven’t actually been up to the top of that hill for about 35 years!

150m climb over about 1.5km. Worth it - the view was good.

fullsizeoutput_2ec.jpeg

Had intended to go back the way I came - the road runs out of tarmac at that point - but after a brief chat with the farmer I pushed on. He told me that the track that headed along the side of the hill would take me to the windfarm road - over the last few years, a cluster of wind turbines have appeared on the top of the moor.

Wasn’t sure - I’m riding 28mm gatorskins - but thought I’d give it a try. The track looked passable at that point.

After about half a mile, the track became much rockier, and muddier. Pushed on, but had to walk for one short section.

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

By this point I’m up at the top of the moor, altitude about 350m, right amongst the windmills. Last time I was up here was hillwalking as a teenager...

IMG_2160.JPG

I spent about an hour exploring the path between the windmills. Not the best surface for that bike - the better paths were gravel, others were like quarries - but it was a great trip. Gentle breeze, fantastic scenery - and completely deserted.

Came back down via the wind farm construction road - which was really designed for tractors and land rovers, just a bit rough for my bike - so a very slow, but quite steep descent.

That took me onto the Fairlie Moor road - headed on to Fairlie, then back home along the coast, with an extra loop along the seafront to make it up to 50km.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After being introduced to explorer square hunting on veloviewer by a few of the CC brigade, I decided to go out and tick off some squares today. 64 miles of sunshine, sleeves rolled up and fingerless gloves on the tan got a bit of a top up as well. Loads of people out today, many more lasses than lads out on bikes.

Rode down some fabulously quiet roads, on one stretch must have been a good 40 minutes without seeing a car. For any locals I can recommend the roads from Tilton on the Hill through Cold Newton and onto Barsby, fantastic scenery.

https://www.strava.com/activities/952611255

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Despite now being the wrong side of 50 I'm determined to try to keep getting faster on the bike. So I've changed my rides a bit. I'm doing similarish miles to previous years, but more frequent shorter rides (lots of 20-30mile rides instead of 50-60s). The idea is that I can ride at a higher intensity for a couple of hours, a four hour ride usually means gritting my teeth and plodding at various times

It seems to be working a bit. I'm as fit now as I've probably ever been and I'm a couple of kg lighter than I have been recently. So I'm feeling confident to take on hard, hilly rides. I'm never going to be a real hill climber but everything is relative

So I plotted a route to take advantage of the good forecast today; bright and quite sunny, very little wind. Glossop - Holme Moss - Honley - Farnely Tyas - Blackmoor Foot - Marsden - Uppermill - Glossop

That's about 46 miles all in so I took it steady over Holme Moss. The temptation is to go all guns blazing at the biggest climb....only to suffer for the effort later. The first 30 miles is climb after climb after climb but I was feeling OK. A couple of close passes (grrrr) but the only thing of note was climbing up a hill near Huddersfield I saw a football coming down the road towards me. Stopped and picked it up, then saw a bunch of kids hanging over their garden fence. Chucked it back to them and saved someone a very long walk (the ball would have rolled at least half a mile had I not stopped it).

Quick stop at the 30 mile mark....I'd brought a cheese sandwich with me (there's self sufficient for you). I also had half a pork pie with me but that seemed just greedy so I saved that.

Felt pretty fresh and the last 10 miles were the flattest of the lot so I got home in reasonable shape. I couldn't resist the pork pie when I got back

46 miles and 5,500ft of climbing.118ft/mile so probably my hilliest longer ride for a long time. Onwards....and upwards

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A little ride out to the Chiltens with the club, made a nice change to go some where different, And so nice to follow rather than lead, Stopped at a nice cafe up in them hills, then a nice steady ride home, Finishing in a different pub for a couple of beers, Great ride good company, the other half is riding really strong, Loved it.
https://www.strava.com/activities/953206467

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A dry, sunny Saturday? Must be time for a ride!

On the Road Comp again partly to test ride after fettling the gears (and the new black bar tape), partly as it's still the one closest the door.
A familiar groove up Coal Road, Red Hall Lane, the A58 onto Whin Moor Lane and into Shadwell, turning left and along to Slaid Hill lights and right onto Wike Ridge Lane for the short plunge through the dip and onto Tarn Lane at the top of the other side.
A bimble along the top to Ling Lane and the steady descent on a shocking surface back down to the A58, before the fast descent into Scarcroft and right onto Thorner Lane for the twisty drop then climb up Scarcroft Hill across the former railway line (that Sustrans were going to turn into a cycle route but seem to have forgotten about...) and onto Milner Lane for the run along the ridge to East Rigton.

By this point I'd established that the indexing was a lot better, but still not quite right. The spring in the derailleur is starting to go, so it might be time to take the plunge and replace the part.

From East Rigton it was onto Bramham Lane for the enjoyable deserted ride through the countryside across Jewitt Lane and all the way to Thorner Lane, where I turned left and headed through the dip, up the other side and down to Bramham, skirting the edges of the village to stop at the start of Paradise Way for a stretch and a photo:
IMG_20170422_090139124_HDR.jpg

Feeling much better than last weekend, I retraced my steps to the top of the hill and headed for Toulston Lane and out into the countryside again, eventually picking up Garnet Lane, across the A659 and on to the bridge over the A64 and the speedy descent down to Stutton. This road must be party central overnight judging by the number of McDonalds bags and wrappers on the verges...:eek:
For once I stuck to the main road through the village, crossing the bridge over Cock Beck and taking the single track road out to the A162.
Here it was right again and up the hill about 100m behind a lad on a blue and white Scott road bike. This can be a busy stretch of road and I feared the worse when I heard an HGV working down through the gears behind me - a Sainsburys truck no less and regular readers might remember that I've had a couple of close passes from their trucks on here. Not today, he passed with loads of room and when he caught the cyclist in front he did the same again. 60 seconds or so later, another Sainsburys truck caught me up and again, an exemplary pass. When he caught the other cyclist up he held well back waiting for a gap in traffic and gave loads of room when he overtook. Maybe the grief they had the other week on social media has resulted in a bit of driver awareness? Whatever the reason it made a pleasant change.:okay:
Eventually reached Raw Lane and turned left for Ulleskelf and started to motor on, slowly reeling the Scott rider in. Didn't quite catch him before the village though and we both went different ways, him sticking to the main road and me looping through the village before emerging back out onto Busk Lane and running on to Church Fenton past the aerodrome. I briefly toyed with doing a loop of the airfield but decided against it today, so straight into the village and then followed the road round to the right, over the railway bridge and the long straight road to Barkston Ash.
From there it's a quick wiggle on the A162 before the run to Saxton and onto Cold Hill Lane, where I stopped at Linda's Bench for some Haribo and a photo:
IMG_20170422_100459625_BURST001.jpg

(If you look closely you might just see the cooling towers of the Lower Aire Valley power stations (Drax and Eggborough), where they no longer burn coal dug out of the ground beneath them, but instead burn wood pellets shipped in from the other side of the world)

Anyhow, it was getting a bit warm now so I took off my windproof jacket and got back on the bike and carried on along Coldhill Lane, heading for Copley Lane and Lotherton Gates.
Here it was right and the lumpy stuff before the descent into Aberford and the inevitable lumpiness of Cattle Lane before crossing Cock Beck again and the climb into Barwick, setting an unexpected PB - another one on the 'winter' bike... :rolleyes:
Though Barwick and the climbing continues nearly all the way to Scholes, where the reward is a quick swooping descent to the Coronation Tree and the slight rise before the run down Leeds Road. Today was a rare treat as there was no headwind on here(!), so good progress was made down the hill and across Cock Beck for the final time today, before getting onto local roads up to home, going just past the door to round the mileage up.

36.0 miles (57.93km) in an acceptable 2h 30m at an average of 14.3mph with 1,660ft climbed. A good days riding, enjoyed it more than the last couple of rides where I've just not been feeling it - and it's another entry in the Half Century challenge. There were a few other cyclists out today, but not as many as might be expected.

And finally a map - after last weeks badly drawn chicken and squiggly ostrich, this one doesn't really seem to resemble anything, unfortunately...
22042017.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom