Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We've decided to escape to Suffolk again.
So we started in a little village called Brome and trundled away in the direction of Hoxne. A few navigation errors, but we soon got there. We rolled past the Swan Inn where we will be eating tonight.

We found our way to Stradbroke and we're following the signs for Framingham. The first sign said Framingham 9 miles. We cycled 3 miles. The next sign said Framingham 8 miles. The next said 4 miles, but we'd only gone on half a mile.
Then we were back up to 8, then 3.
With 3 miles to go we saw Saxtead Mill
IMG_2605.JPG

eventually we got there. I've never been before. In my minds eye I wanted a pretty little market town, and Framingham delivered
IMG_2609.JPG

Food was taken in the sun, chatting to a couple of friendly cyclists from Ipswich.
Then we went and saw the castle
IMG_2611.JPG

From here it would have been nice to go to the coast but that would have meant a lengthy ride back.
Not sure where we went, but it was pretty, quiet and rural.
We stumbled upon a lovely church. Unbeknown to us we were back in Stradbroke
IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

From here we went to Eye for a cup of tea.
This is a view of Eye church from the castle
IMG_2631.JPG

Parts of this ride were a bit cold, but don't you always get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you see a doggy driving a moggy...
IMG_2613.JPG

40 odd miles. ''Twas grand!

https://www.strava.com/activities/953230570

13 rider

Guru
So today was my first big sportive The Rutland Cicle Sportive which I was entered into by my sister for my 50th birthday ( on my directions ) and of course I've gone long 104 miles. Bike in the boot of car drove to the start area . Parked in a nearby village and rode 2.6 miles to the start ( to avoid parking charge :tongue:) Registered and joined the middle of the queue to start I let the fast boys go to the front I not chasing them . Off from the Normanton car park taking nice and steady to start around the scenic roads of Rutland .5 miles from the start and we came across sodden roads we must have just missed that shower . At this point I realised I was at a relaxed pace when a guy on a hybrid with rack and pannier wearing Doc Martin boots passed me . After 10 miles the legs really kicked in and I picked the pace up . First feed station at 30 miles was reached in 1hr 45mins . Nice coffee ,Cake and Jaffa cakes . Refuelled it was of again . Out to the Vale of Belvoir . Quick descent down Stathern hill which I gone up but not down was nice . Then the climb up towards Belvoir Castle about 15% ground up then we dropped down into the Vale again just to climb out again up Harby hill longer but just as bad . Up through Waltham on the wolds and on to Wymondham Windmill where the medium route rejoined us . Straight past the cafe and then I tagged on to a fast group and the next 16 miles to our second feed station I was flying 20 mph for this bit . Took a bit of a break at the second stop,arm warmers off as the sun had come out . Let the fast group go. I riden the next bit on Thursday so I knew what was coming hills and some more hills .So set off at my own pace it was constantly rolling now either up or down . Hit the ramp at Launde Abbey the guy in front just stopped and nearly took me out the only incident of the day really . Past a few others pushing expensive bikes up hill:surrender: . It now just one drag after another with a quick descent inbetween . Then comes Neville Holt a 15% dead straight wall .First time bottom gear was engaged and slowly spun myself up past another few walkers and slower riders after the steep bit it then slowly drags up which hurt the legs . Now I was catching lots of slower riders who'd done the shorter routes . Nice drop down to Dry brook reservoir but then the last big climb at Stoke Dry which the council had thoughfully stone chipped to make it even more draggy . On this climb I past 15 riders :becool:which makes you feel good :rolleyes: then it just 10 miles of undulations to the finish past the 100 mile mark in 5 hr 51mins my quickest ever . Finished in official time of 6hr 49min but moving time was 6hr 13mins giving me an average of 16.9 mph which I am more than happy with but slightly disappointed as it was above 17 until the climb at Stoke Dry . So total 105.2 miles and just the 7447ft of climbing :surrender:
Really enjoyed it riders all behave really well no sillyness weather behaved .Discovered some lovely new areas and lanes to ride The guy in doc martins saw him finish an hour behind me :notworthy:
Just checked the result page I finished 77th out of the 258 who have finished so far . The fastest time was 5hr 1min :eek:thats over 20 mph :surrender:
Edit forget to mention I have a medal ^_^

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
We've decided to escape to Suffolk again.
So we started in a little village called Brome and trundled away in the direction of Hoxne. A few navigation errors, but we soon got there. We rolled past the Swan Inn where we will be eating tonight.

We found our way to Stradbroke and we're following the signs for Framingham. The first sign said Framingham 9 miles. We cycled 3 miles. The next sign said Framingham 8 miles. The next said 4 miles, but we'd only gone on half a mile.
Then we were back up to 8, then 3.
With 3 miles to go we saw Saxtead Mill
View attachment 348803
eventually we got there. I've never been before. In my minds eye I wanted a pretty little market town, and Framingham delivered
View attachment 348804

Food was taken in the sun, chatting to a couple of friendly cyclists from Ipswich.
Then we went and saw the castle
View attachment 348806
From here it would have been nice to go to the coast but that would have meant a lengthy ride back.
Not sure where we went, but it was pretty, quiet and rural.
We stumbled upon a lovely church. Unbeknown to us we were back in Stradbroke
View attachment 348816
View attachment 348818
View attachment 348821

From here we went to Eye for a cup of tea.
This is a view of Eye church from the castle
View attachment 348832

Parts of this ride were a bit cold, but don't you always get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you see a doggy driving a moggy...
View attachment 348834

40 odd miles. ''Twas grand!

https://www.strava.com/activities/953230570
Your pic's are the best :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
So today was my first big sportive The Rutland Cicle Sportive which I was entered into by my sister for my 50th birthday ( on my directions ) and of course I've gone long 104 miles. Bike in the boot of car drove to the start area . Parked in a nearby village and rode 2.6 miles to the start ( to avoid parking charge :tongue:) Registered and joined the middle of the queue to start I let the fast boys go to the front I not chasing them . Off from the Normanton car park taking nice and steady to start around the scenic roads of Rutland .5 miles from the start and we came across sodden roads we must have just missed that shower . At this point I realised I was at a relaxed pace when a guy on a hybrid with rack and pannier wearing Doc Martin boots passed me . After 10 miles the legs really kicked in and I picked the pace up . First feed station at 30 miles was reached in 1hr 45mins . Nice coffee ,Cake and Jaffa cakes . Refuelled it was of again . Out to the Vale of Belvoir . Quick descent down Stathern hill which I gone up but not down was nice . Then the climb up towards Belvoir Castle about 15% ground up then we dropped down into the Vale again just to climb out again up Harby hill longer but just as bad . Up through Waltham on the wolds and on to Wymondham Windmill where the medium route rejoined us . Straight past and then I tagged on to a fast group and the next 16 miles to our second feed station I was flying 20 mph for this bit . Took a bit of a break at the second stop,arm warmers off as the sun had come out . Let the fast group go. I riden the next bit on Thursday so I knew what was coming hills and some more hills .So set off at my own pace it was constantly rolling now either up or down . Hit the ramp at Launde Abbey the guy in front just stopped and nearly took me out the only incident of the day really . Past a few other pushing. expensive bike up hill:surrender: . It now just one drag after another with a quick descent inbetween . Then comes Neville Holt a 15% dead straight wall .First time bottom gear was engaged and slowly spun myself up past another few walkers and slower riders after the steep bit it then slowly drags up which hurt the legs . Now I was catching lots of slower riders who'd done the shorter routes . Nice drop down to Dry brook reservoir but then the last big climb at Stoke Dry which the council had thoughfully stone chipped to make it even more draggy . On this climb I past 15 riders :becool:which makes you feel good :rolleyes: then it just 10 miles of undulations to the finish past the 100 mile mark in 5 hr 51mins my quickest ever . Finished in official time of 6hr 49min but moving time was 6hr 13mins giving me an average of 16.9 mph which I am more than happy with but slightly disappointed as it was above 17 until the climb at Stoke Dry . So total 105.2 miles and just the 7447ft of climbing :surrender:
Really enjoyed it riders all behave really well no sillyness weather behaved .Discovered some lovely new areas and lanes to ride The guy in doc martins saw him finish an hour behind me :notworthy:
Just checked the result page I finished 77th out of the 258 who have finished so far . The fastest time was 5hr 1min :eek:thats over 20 mph :surrender:
Edit forget to mention I have a medal ^_^
I've ridden those Stoke Dry roads... Leg testers, eh?! :ohmy:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
This morning, I was up early. I mean stupid o'clock early!
I'd hoped to be able to wake up, and I actually did! I'd prepped the bike, and MrsPete, just in case my early start actually happened :laugh: (I really don't do 'early' anymore)
Anyways...I was out riding, with a belly full of porage, tyres full of air and a respiratory system full of mucous by 05:00. It was still dark!

I sort of had a route in mind, with anywhere between 60 to 80 miles planned, depending on my mood, and legs.
On my way down Hardwater Road, a lovely descent, I saw movement on the verge on my left. I was being paced by a bounding deer!.. Bloommin' heck, thought I, I hope he doesn't veer to his/her right or I'd have problems at 33 mph. Thankfully, we both held our course and survived the day..

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

First stop, for the obligatory photo, was Bell End, with my Bontrager Flare scorching both my helmet, and the wall. It was still quite dark at this point, hence the weird lighting!

From here, just as dawn proper was breaking, it started to drizzle. Then rain harder. I was glad that I'd chosen the correct riding gear. Skull cap, waterproof jacket, and toe covers. It was still a bit miserable though, especially as, once the rain stopped and I'd wiped my specs, it started again.. Stopped, and started again. I was wondering if the day was going to improve.
Eventually, by Kimbolton, it was slightly warmer and, happily, drier. I headed in the general direction of Oundle via roads I'd ridden before, albeit in the opposite direction.

IMG_1268.JPG

Once there, everything was still closed. There's a new place to eat next to Gorilla Cycles that looks OK, but it was shut. :sad:

I rode through Oundle town, a really ancient and pretty place, only to fine the locals still standing on their doorsteps scratching their gonads and staring at the sky... Such is 'town life'..
Still too early to find a much needed caffeine boost. :sad:
I'd still not seen any other riders out yet, but, on leaving Oundle on the Corby road, I spied a couple of roadies in the distance. At least it wasn't just me in the area :laugh:

I reckoned that if I used the terribly surfaced road past Lyvenden New Bield, the cafe at Fermyn Woods would be open. Nope.. still only 8:50.. opening time 10:30 :sad:

Giving up all hope of caffeine and bacon, I headed homewards via Grafton Underwood and Cranford St John, where I started to see a few more folk out riding, and through Burton Latimer. Blimey, thought I! The Bear & Beignet, in Isham, might be open. I pass it every day on my way to work, and have never called in.

IMG_1272.JPG

Really good coffee with a doorstep bacon sarnie, and they were happy for me to bring the bike in. Who could ask for more :notworthy:
Even though I was nearing home, it more than welcome.
On my final 12 or so miles, I was passing Sywell Aerodrome when a txt popped onto my phone. I was going to ignore it, but then stopped and read it. T'was my future son in law.. "Was that you riding past Sywell?". Phone call back.. "yep, where are you?" "With a couple of grandkids watching the planes!"
Quick U-turn, and a chance meeting and a chat for 10 minutes before my final 3 or 4 miles home. I love it when that happens ^_^

Untitled.png

Back home on 71 miles, on a slightly lumpy route, happy to have managed a long ride with a chesty mucousy thing going on.. (I did check behind before snot rockets were launched!) I'm sure that being wet dry wet dry wet and dry again was good for the constitution... I'm so glad I wore my toe covers :cold:

https://www.strava.com/activities/952650464

:smile:

Last edited:
https://www.relive.cc/view/953242795

I decided to go to Hayling Island today.

IMG_4199.JPG

A few clouds, but mostly warm.

IMG_4202.JPG

Hayling's amusement park.
IMG_4206.JPG

View from Portsdown hill today.

IMG_4209.JPG

A beer at the Churchillian at the top of Portsdown hill.

IMG_4210.JPG

The view towards Southwick, from the top of Portsdown hill.

IMG_4212.JPG

A nice view.

IMG_4216.JPG

A massive pub garden, that I somehow didn't know about, despite having lived round here on and off for about 40 years:blink:

IMG_4214.JPG

A lovely sunny day.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Found out the hard way yesterday that my new Defy 1 does not corner as well as my hybrid - one broken collar bone :sad: and 6 weeks of a sling :sad: to ponder the Defy - currently thinking of some 28mm tyres with a degree of grip rather than the rather slick 25mm it came with and Joes Run Flats as well.
A like for the positive attitude, not for the injury. Keep 'em rolling!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry to read about your off @Mike_P, GWS! :hugs:

Today I did Pedal on Parliament Edinburgh, setting off from Linlithgow, a pictoresque village about 22 miles from the event.
I'm not normally keen on canal riding, but I like that stretch, last time I did it was 2 years ago, when I went with a group to the same event.
That time we found that a good bit of the canal was closed, we had umpteen mechanicals, the weather was wet, it was a disaster, we got there when it was finished.
Today it was lovely and sunny, but chilly: I got there in plenty of time, not without challenges, though!
On alighting from the train I headed through the back of the station on a short but steep uphill to the canal boating hub: the lane was closed half way for works, the hub's cafe opens at 10.30!
One of the boat tinkerers made me a coffee :biggrin:
View from Linlithgow canal hub
IMG_20170422_084940643 (640x360).jpg
Setting off along the canal, thinking, Oh, nice, it has been resurfaced.
Guess what?
IMG_20170422_094137289 (640x360).jpg Had to push the bike in the nettles, either that or getting flattened by the gravel flattening rolling machine, can you see it threatening me in the background?
I was making good progress, but for the forgotten matter of two aqueducts I remembered being before Linlithgow, not after :whistle:
Those, narrow cobbled walkways very near the water, I walk (some ride them), it gives me a good excuse to take some pictures!
IMG_20170422_141536902 (640x360).jpg IMG_20170422_101623789 (640x360).jpg The second picture is of the river Avon, flowing below the aqueduct above.
Anyhow, I got almost to the city centre along the Union Canal, knowing how to get to the event from there, then, shock, horror: the last bit is closed for building works!
Never a dull moment when I ride to Pop: I had to brave the main road not knowing Edinburgh very well, ended up riding up the wrong way on a one way street!
Just as well the drivers in Edinburgh are more understanding than the Glasgow ones.
The event itself consists in riding up and over a cobbled hill, then trying to ride down the other (cobbled) end to the Scottish Parliament in company of a couple of thousand riders, lots of trailers, kids, tag-alongs, recumbent riders.
I run away (back up the cobbled hill, of course) after the first few speeches because I was feeling cold, in need of coffee and restrooms: it was lovely seeing @snorri and @Telemark again, both busy delivering Edinburgh Cycle Festival schedules.
I also made haste as I knew I was going to get lost searching for the canal entrance after the closed off one, in fact I did about a mile detour.
Here are some pictures of PoP and of the route back, 56 miles in total for me today, I'll sleep well tonight!
Tomorrow PoP Glasgow.
How can we PoP in Glasgow when there's no P here?
All will be revealed :biggrin:
IMG_20170422_124857459 (640x360).jpg IMG_20170422_123956832 (360x640).jpg IMG_20170422_123730234 (640x360).jpg IMG_20170422_115017916 (360x640).jpg IMG_20170422_114154907 (640x360).jpg IMG_20170422_113557983 (640x360).jpg

Top Bottom