Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I rode to work again, same as the 3 days before. New M089 SPD's are OK, fine tuning the cleat position a little at a time.
Tomorrow, subject to repairing SWMBO car brakes, finishing madam's (daughter) desk, walking dogs and anything else on the list, I may get out for that 'me' ride I've been waiting for...

D

Deleted member 1258

A bit of an adventure for me today, and my longest ride since being ill in November, a 64 mile ride that was almost straight out and back with a stop in the Harley Equestrian Centre cafe just outside Woodford Halse. Another cool bright and breezy day, I went with summer tights and a winter jacket with a base layer and a short sleeved jersey which was about right, the breeze was cool and I was getting a little chilled pedalling into it on the way back. The ride started out on a regular route out that took me to Birdingbury, in the village I turned right and found myself on familiar roads that I hadn't ridden for a long time, I crossed the A426 rode down the lane that runs alongside the canal and into Napton and Priors Marston. At one point I was tangled up in a time trial, was being passed by a stream of riders until I passed the turn. Rode into Byfield and took the second turn on the first roundabout and then I was on roads that were new to me, rode through West Farndon and onto the Equestrian Centre, a place I wouldn't have found if someone hadn't told me about it, for a well earned sandwich and a coffee. Leaving the centre I turned right into Woodford Halse and and picked up my outward route back into Priors marston where I followed the road left onto the welsh road into Southam, I had a moment of concern in the village, I couldn't remember which turns to take, I found my way through and picked up the Welsh Road again through Offchurch and Cubbington and on to Coventry and home. A hard but enjoyable Sunday bike ride, my legs had started to fade by the time I got to Southam and by the time I got home they were spent.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/14123944

20170423_104017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides today: The first @gavgav has already made mention of where I rode the knockabout bike over to his and set up the new Forme for him (just fitting pedals and adjusting the riding position), which he then took out for its first ride, accompanied by his service barge :laugh: around the nearby estate roads.

All seems well and I could notice a difference in pace despite Gav taking it easy while he got the feel of the bike. I think he'll like when he can rack up some real mileage on this one.:okay: Job done I headed for home again clocking up exactly 9 miles at 12.9 mph average.

Setting up the road bike got me thinking and I realised that I haven't tried the Galaxy on my fast circuit yet, so a little while later I'd swapped bikes and headed out. This loop is out to Condover, Ryton, Longnor, and Acton Burnell then back via Pitchford, Cantlop and Condover again.

There wasn't much traffic out which was good and with a light crosswind I set a good pace to Condover where I got held up by the traffic lights where the bridge is being repaired. Getting going again, the section through Ryton to Longnor is mostly a gentle climb which didn't slow the pace much this time. From here there is a bit of flat then another climb to Frodesley and the nice descent into Acton Burnell on which I overtook a couple of other cyclists.

The section to Pitchford is always good with a long gentle downhill :bicycle:, but just before the dip into the valley by Pitchford Hall something flew into my helmet and buzzed around a bit which meant a stop to get rid. As a result of that I didn't make the most of the dip and only hit 28mph top speed.

I had to stop again to wait for a tractor & machinery coming the other way at Cantlop, then was against the light wind for the last bit to home.

A tad over 17 miles at 17.4mph moving average which is a new personal best :hyper: with room for improvement if I can get a clear run sometime.^_^ (Edit to add: I sat down with a calculator and worked out that the average was actually 17.49mph. A tiny difference but it makes me happy.;))

No photos today as I was enjoying the ride.:addict:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Headed out early again this morning with hopes of going for a 50 , but after 15 miles me tootsies were chilled so thought i would settle for a bit less .

Route was out through town up to Wilby with a climb up to the rugby club then a fast descent down and along hardwater and then onwards towards Grendon , Easton Maudit where i was too slow to catch Mr Red Fox on camera but the sight was enough as he scampered across the fields .

Going into Bozeat and the Sun made an appearance so had to stop to take a picture .

IMG_20170423_060945562_HDR.jpg

After Bozeat it was onwards to Odell where i scalped a chap on an Mtb who put up a good fight but alas he was no match for me and the Mercian which is well and truly dialed in now , next was Harrold and across the bridge where i spotted a Heron , he was the only bird not to move all the rest scarpered at the first sign of a camera phone just a shame i zooomed in to much and ended up with a very pixalated picture .

IMG_20170423_062917736.jpg

Once through Carlton it was a gentle climb and fast decent where i took a right turn to do the West End ,Stevington , Oakley and Pavenham loop and then up out of Pavenham and down into Pavenham then across the bridge and along to Sharnbrook then out on to the A6 and we stretched our legs to pick up the pace and generate some warm blood to warm the toes up .

Just on the outside of Rushden i peeled off to Wymington and then towards Poddington avoiding all the people heading towards Santa Pod then on to Irchester and back through town and home , all before 8.15 am !!

A total of 42 Mercian miles just a shame about the chilly feet .

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Grant Fondo the old head office of the steel works. I refitted the cables in part of the factory in the late 80's (all on my own!)

We left our airb&b in Brome, Suffolk and drove toward the coast. We left the car in Leiston. Of we rode. Within a mile and a half we'd stopped, but it was worth it.
IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

Leiston Abbey.

Soon after we took the back lanes toward Minsmere. On 2.25 miles we stopped again! I needed a wee. It's an age thing!

Through Minsmere, we heard Chiffchaff and Cetti's Warbler. After this we set our sights on Dunwich Heath. The gorse was in full bloom, and the coconutty scent filled the air. It was splendid!

We had a tea stop. (Not even 10 miles done)at the national trust place. I may have had a brownie!
IMG_2639.JPG

In the picture above the white dome contains such volatile matter that when it explodes it's a total bloody disaster, in the background is Sizewell. Much less of a hazard!

On we went to Dunwich beach. We attempted to get to Walberswick but the shingle beat us.

We went to Westleton and out the other side meandering along fairly quiet roads until we stumbled upon this cool fella

IMG_2659.JPG

The bloke on the tandem isn't cool.

In Theberton I spotted the church tower, it was round. Unusual, so we decided to stop. Then we saw the roof! Oh my! Church geek heaven!
IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

A thatched church. That's got to be the all time best!

Back through Leiston and on to Aldeburgh. Fish n chips on the wall. The chips were yuk!
IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

The old old car dudes were having fun in the sun by the Moot Hall.

Then we saw the shell thing, it's a tribute to Barry Manilow or something
IMG_2679.JPG

On our way to Thorpeness we did a bit of overtaking, we had 2 donkey power, he had 1 horse power
IMG_2681.JPG

Back to the car in Leiston. 30 miles done.
We were only away for one night but it feels like a long break.

https://www.strava.com/activities/954703114

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had a chance for a few miles today while MrsPete was otherwise engaged. A friend had txted me first thing that he was up for a pedal, but, just as I was about to set off, he said he couldn't make it due to child and baby issues. So it goes.. Never mind, I was still in the mood to stretch my legs after yesterday's 70 miler.

IMG_1280.JPG

A solid seat by the canal..

Heading along the banks, I then cut through Duston and some lovely quiet lanes until I had to do a few miles on minor 'A' roads to where I hoped to get.

IMG_1284.JPG

This is Bob & Garry Hill, near Teeton.. So called because a bunch of us were out on MTB's in the snow, a few years ago, and two of us got upturned and slid down a lot of it in a tangle of arms, legs and bikes. Luckily, not me! I was at the top, checking if the pub was open :laugh:
The name order was decided in honour of Bob who had the bigger bruises ^_^

Anyway, I had a nearby Trig Point to visit, before coasting down the hill into Hollowell village where I spotted a lovely wall that was covered in movement.

IMG_1309.JPG

Every one of the holes contained bees!!

IMG_1311.JPG

Millions of them :eek:
Still, bees don't hurt you, do they?!

From there, it was a bit of up and down the hills before another 'A' road mile or so to reach my cut through towards home via the top of the town.

A lovely 34 miles in warm weather with all but one car driver giving me plenty of space on the busier parts of the route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/954801247

:smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mercia Medium club ride, the normal group i ride with most of the rider were in majorca on a cycling holiday as as i get lost at the bottom of our garden i opted for the slower ride rather than jumping into the elites and getting dropped in about 5 miles.
3 new riders , one of whom should have gone for the slow group as we had to stop all the time and he got to the cake stop and phoned home.At least he had a go !
73 miles , 4500 feet of climbing and 1 10th position on strava, i am happy enough as i need to work on my base fitness .
https://www.strava.com/activities/955085046

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
This morning, I was up early. I mean stupid o'clock early!
I'd hoped to be able to wake up, and I actually did! I'd prepped the bike, and MrsPete, just in case my early start actually happened :laugh: (I really don't do 'early' anymore)
Anyways...I was out riding, with a belly full of porage, tyres full of air and a respiratory system full of mucous by 05:00. It was still dark!

I sort of had a route in mind, with anywhere between 60 to 80 miles planned, depending on my mood, and legs.
On my way down Hardwater Road, a lovely descent, I saw movement on the verge on my left. I was being paced by a bounding deer!.. Bloommin' heck, thought I, I hope he doesn't veer to his/her right or I'd have problems at 33 mph. Thankfully, we both held our course and survived the day..

View attachment 348863

First stop, for the obligatory photo, was Bell End, with my Bontrager Flare scorching both my helmet, and the wall. It was still quite dark at this point, hence the weird lighting!

From here, just as dawn proper was breaking, it started to drizzle. Then rain harder. I was glad that I'd chosen the correct riding gear. Skull cap, waterproof jacket, and toe covers. It was still a bit miserable though, especially as, once the rain stopped and I'd wiped my specs, it started again.. Stopped, and started again. I was wondering if the day was going to improve.
Eventually, by Kimbolton, it was slightly warmer and, happily, drier. I headed in the general direction of Oundle via roads I'd ridden before, albeit in the opposite direction.

View attachment 348865

Once there, everything was still closed. There's a new place to eat next to Gorilla Cycles that looks OK, but it was shut. :sad:

I rode through Oundle town, a really ancient and pretty place, only to fine the locals still standing on their doorsteps scratching their gonads and staring at the sky... Such is 'town life'..
Still too early to find a much needed caffeine boost. :sad:
I'd still not seen any other riders out yet, but, on leaving Oundle on the Corby road, I spied a couple of roadies in the distance. At least it wasn't just me in the area :laugh:

I reckoned that if I used the terribly surfaced road past Lyvenden New Bield, the cafe at Fermyn Woods would be open. Nope.. still only 8:50.. opening time 10:30 :sad:

Giving up all hope of caffeine and bacon, I headed homewards via Grafton Underwood and Cranford St John, where I started to see a few more folk out riding, and through Burton Latimer. Blimey, thought I! The Bear & Beignet, in Isham, might be open. I pass it every day on my way to work, and have never called in.

View attachment 348864

Really good coffee with a doorstep bacon sarnie, and they were happy for me to bring the bike in. Who could ask for more :notworthy:
Even though I was nearing home, it more than welcome.
On my final 12 or so miles, I was passing Sywell Aerodrome when a txt popped onto my phone. I was going to ignore it, but then stopped and read it. T'was my future son in law.. "Was that you riding past Sywell?". Phone call back.. "yep, where are you?" "With a couple of grandkids watching the planes!"
Quick U-turn, and a chance meeting and a chat for 10 minutes before my final 3 or 4 miles home. I love it when that happens ^_^

View attachment 348862

Back home on 71 miles, on a slightly lumpy route, happy to have managed a long ride with a chesty mucousy thing going on.. (I did check behind before snot rockets were launched!) I'm sure that being wet dry wet dry wet and dry again was good for the constitution... I'm so glad I wore my toe covers :cold:

https://www.strava.com/activities/952650464

:smile:

No scrotes ever going to bolt crop your security chain. You do need to thread it through the frame though for full protection.

348865.jpg

Last edited:
Club run with the HDW
We went to Cranleigh
Outward leg was via Pyrford, Ripley, Shere and Albury.

Refreshments were taken in a garden centre.
At some poin point in the return, our leader, who was navigating by Garmin had his Garmin turn off

The route then was by guesswork, and we went through Guildford and Woking.

Never warm but we kept up a good pace on a hilly course.

63.4 miles @ 15.6 mph

2270 feet climbed
https://www.strava.com/activities/954620245

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I needed to do a proper test today with my gorgeous newly-acquired Raleigh Pioneer Tourer. I'd been trying very hard this year to make every ride a century, and had kept to it so far. Trouble is, like everyone else I've done a few rides to the end of the road to make sure I've put a bike back together properly. They're not on Strava, so they didn't happen, right? It doesn't really wash, does it? So today I broke the sequence before it could become a serious burden.

A ride of 33 miles up the A38 to Tewkesbury and back through the lanes to the west of the river Severn, some of which were new to me. One of the best photo opportunities in the area is Highleadon Mill:

Upleadon.JPG

Beautiful, isn't it?

The butterfly bars, not something I'd ever considered until I spotted the ad for this bike, are an acquired taste, but I'm finding they work quite well. With drop bars I spend neary all the time on the tops and the shoulders, only moving to then hoods and the drops when I absolutely have to. I quickly found today that the outstretched position is very comfortable, a little more relaxed than the hoods on drop bars.

The one adjusment I do need to make is to rotate the bars a little so that they sit a little flatter. I've moved them as far as I can, but the cables, particularly the front brake cable housing, are a restriction, so I'll have to look into that. I'd like to be able to lay my outstretched hands comfortably on the bars with fingertips resting on the front curves. I can do this, but my wrists are bent backwards a bit too much. I hope that makes sense.

For the test, used an old pair of 700x28s I had lying around in place of the rather horrible tyres the bike came with. I'd discarded the 700x28s when they started to puncture. Sure enough, today I had a rear flat about half a mile from home. I couldn't get any useful pressure into it, and there was no point fixing it, so the ride ended there. That one was my fault and the tyres will head for the dump asap.

I'm going to have some fun with this bike.

Top Bottom