Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Grant Fondo the old head office of the steel works. I refitted the cables in part of the factory in the late 80's (all on my own!)

We left our airb&b in Brome, Suffolk and drove toward the coast. We left the car in Leiston. Of we rode. Within a mile and a half we'd stopped, but it was worth it.
View attachment 349072
View attachment 349073
Leiston Abbey.

Soon after we took the back lanes toward Minsmere. On 2.25 miles we stopped again! I needed a wee. It's an age thing!

Through Minsmere, we heard Chiffchaff and Cetti's Warbler. After this we set our sights on Dunwich Heath. The gorse was in full bloom, and the coconutty scent filled the air. It was splendid!

We had a tea stop. (Not even 10 miles done)at the national trust place. I may have had a brownie!
View attachment 349074
In the picture above the white dome contains such volatile matter that when it explodes it's a total bloody disaster, in the background is Sizewell. Much less of a hazard!

On we went to Dunwich beach. We attempted to get to Walberswick but the shingle beat us.

We went to Westleton and out the other side meandering along fairly quiet roads until we stumbled upon this cool fella

View attachment 349078
The bloke on the tandem isn't cool.

In Theberton I spotted the church tower, it was round. Unusual, so we decided to stop. Then we saw the roof! Oh my! Church geek heaven!
View attachment 349088
View attachment 349089

A thatched church. That's got to be the all time best!

Back through Leiston and on to Aldeburgh. Fish n chips on the wall. The chips were yuk!
View attachment 349090
View attachment 349091
The old old car dudes were having fun in the sun by the Moot Hall.

Then we saw the shell thing, it's a tribute to Barry Manilow or something
View attachment 349096

On our way to Thorpeness we did a bit of overtaking, we had 2 donkey power, he had 1 horse power
View attachment 349097
Back to the car in Leiston. 30 miles done.
We were only away for one night but it feels like a long break.

https://www.strava.com/activities/954703114
Thanks @Dave123! Now I know. Cracking church at Theberton btw, I shall look up in my Pevsner.

Katherine

Guru
3 rides to total 130 miles in 7 days!

Last BH Monday, I had a much needed lazy morning and 11.30 when I finally set off for my first longer ride on the new bike. One of the reasons for getting a lighter road bike was to do better on the hills so I copied a ride one of the club members had posted on the fb page and set off further north than I'd been before up to the hills north of Bolton. The furthest I'd cycled that way before was Belmont but I carried on up and down the A675 to Abbey Village then west to Wheelton before turning south through White Coppice and back down to Rivington and familiar terrority. The views as I passed the Anglezark and Rivington reservoirs were stunning despite the dark clouds. I don't normally do stats, but on this occasion....

45.0mi Distance 3:29:19 Moving Time 2,348ft Elevation Avg MaxSpeed 12.9mi/h 31.1mi/h Elapsed Time 4:29:34

View media item 9498
View media item 9499
View media item 9500
View media item 9501
View media item 9502

View media item 9503
View media item 9504
View media item 9509

Yesterday, I had the chance to get another longer ride in but this time I was after distance and speed so I chose to ride just about one of my favourite routes, south into Cheshire as far as the Anderton Boat Lift. However, this time I didn't even turn in, let alone stop for a coffee. In fact that was the first time I'd ever done anything like that kind of distance without stopping.
I found ride was harder than I expected so I suppose a lighter bike might be easier up hill but not when battling the wind!

53.8mi Distance 3:50:46 Moving Time 828ft Elevation Avg Max Speed 14.0mi/h 33.3mi/h Elapsed Time 4:05:45

I did stop for two irresistible pictures, the first was some beautiful blossam trees I saw as I was coming through High Legh. I completly resisted all photo opportunities through Great Budworth and I was still trying to ride home as fast as I could when I came upon a steam road roller trundling down into Lymm which I sped past with a cheery toot from them, stopped at a side road a bit further on for the must have picture where I got another cheery toot, then another when I overtook them again ( and all the traffic built up behind them).

View media item 9510
View media item 9511

Today was almost easy in comparison. A relaxed club ride to our favourite cafe, The Bowling Green at Rivington. No pictures today.

32.0mi Distance 2:27:02 Moving Time 831ft Elevation Avg Max Speed 13.1mi/h 27.7mi/h Elapsed Time 3:07:18

I am enjoying the new B Twin and comparing it to the Galaxy. I am missing storage though and am being forced to travel light in every sense. I have collected scores of pb times over the last 2 weeks and am definately finding keeping up a good pace easier on the flats and ascents but I am also finding that I am being more cautious on the descents, braking a lot more than I would on the Galaxy. I expect that there will be more obvious differences if the means and modes were used instead of a general average. I always found that I was faster than a lot of people on descents which brought up my average speed but didn't help me to keep up in a group.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today we did the Glasgow Pedal on Parliament, the first one after Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness had theirs for a few years now.
Well, we actually pedaled from Glasgow Green to the city chambers in George Square, seeing as the Scottish Parliament is in Edinburgh ^_^
It was awesome to see this event in my city!
A big crowd of cyclists turned up, many more than I expected, from all areas of Glasgow and beyond. I lead a feeder ride from my area, Rutherglen.
Many cycle chatters were present @Slick with Mrs. Slick (lovely to meet you!), @snorri, @phantasmagoriana, @Telemark's hubby (forgot his username!), @magnatom who is one of the organizers and main speaker.
CC won't allow me to upload more albums, apparently I exceeded my quota :whistle: so I'll post some pictures here and leave you with a couple of links for more.
Fantastic day for Glasgow's cycling history!
IMG_20170423_135610197 (1024x531).jpg IMG_20170423_134908553 (576x1024).jpg IMG_20170423_134719697 (1024x576).jpg IMG_20170423_134343634 (1024x563).jpg IMG_20170423_130049939 (1024x572).jpg IMG_20170423_125140388 (1024x541).jpg IMG_20170423_124745006 (1024x576).jpg IMG_20170423_124726454.jpg IMG_20170423_124604644 (1024x576).jpg IMG_20170423_124448433 (1024x899).jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154675135482956.1073741847.747127955&type=1&l=1a796c133b

http://pedalonparliament.org/pop-goes-large-in-glasgow/

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
8 miles this day, great warmth after a freezing cold start to the day. Seeking a benchmark. I will try again, as I'm using photo enhancement on the map now, as well as the Geological survey diaries. It may be lost, but I may keep on looking. Other cyclists out today in force. Nearly optimum weather for giving the old Dawes a test.
71F
Winds NE 13
Relative humidity 19% (!)
Barometer 30.05 1020.2mb
Fair skies, Some road and some trail biking.

3 rides to total 130 miles in 7 days!

Last BH Monday, I had a much needed lazy morning and 11.30 when I finally set off for my first longer ride on the new bike. One of the reasons for getting a lighter road bike was to do better on the hills so I copied a ride one of the club members had posted on the fb page and set off further north than I'd been before up to the hills north of Bolton. The furthest I'd cycled that way before was Belmont but I carried on up and down the A675 to Abbey Village then west to Wheelton before turning south through White Coppice and back down to Rivington and familiar terrority. The views as I passed the Anglezark and Rivington reservoirs were stunning despite the dark clouds. I don't normally do stats, but on this occasion....

45.0mi Distance 3:29:19 Moving Time 2,348ft Elevation Avg MaxSpeed 12.9mi/h 31.1mi/h Elapsed Time 4:29:34

View media item 9498
View media item 9499
View media item 9500
View media item 9501
View media item 9502

View media item 9503
View media item 9504
View media item 9509

Yesterday, I had the chance to get another longer ride in but this time I was after distance and speed so I chose to ride just about one of my favourite routes, south into Cheshire as far as the Anderton Boat Lift. However, this time I didn't even turn in, let alone stop for a coffee. In fact that was the first time I'd ever done anything like that kind of distance without stopping.

53.8mi Distance 3:50:46 Moving Time 828ft Elevation Avg Max Speed 14.0mi/h 33.3mi/h Elapsed Time 4:05:45

I did stop for two irresistible pictures, the first was some beautiful blossam trees I saw as I was coming through High Legh. I completly resisted all photo opportunities through Great Budworth and I was still trying to ride home as fast as I could when I came upon a steam road roller trundling down into Lymm which I sped past with a cheery toot from them, stopped at a side road a bit further on for the must have picture where I got another cheery toot, then another when I overtook them again ( and all the traffic built up behind them).

View media item 9510
View media item 9511
Today was almost easy in comparison. A relaxed club ride to our favourite cafe, The Bowling Green at Rivington. No pictures today.

32.0mi Distance 2:27:02 Moving Time 831ft Elevation Avg Max Speed 13.1mi/h 27.7mi/h Elapsed Time 3:07:18

I am enjoying the new B Twin and comparing it to the Galaxy. I am missing storage though and am being forced to travel light in every sense. I have collected scores of pb times over the last 2 weeks and am definately finding keeping up a good pace easier on the flats and ascents but I am also finding that I am being more cautious on the descents, braking a lot more than I would on the Galaxy. I expect that there will be more obvious differences if the means and modes were used instaed of a general average. I always found that I was faster than a lot of people on descents which brought up my average speed but didn't help me to keep up in a group.

Like the bike as well, mine's still going strong.:thumbsup:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What's a Pevsner?

It's like a hemorrhoid, only more comfortable to sit on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pevsner_Architectural_Guides

Katherine

Guru
8 miles this day, great warmth after a freezing cold start to the day. Seeking a benchmark. I will try again, as I'm using photo enhancement on the map now, as well as the Geological survey diaries. It may be lost, but I may keep on looking. Other cyclists out today in force. Nearly optimum weather for giving the old Dawes a test.
71F
Winds NE 13
Relative humidity 19% (!)
Barometer 30.05 1020.2mb
Fair skies, Some road and some trail biking.

What are you actually looking for? I thought a benchmark was a standard of quality?

Katherine

Guru
Today we did the Glasgow Pedal on Parliament, the first one after Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness had theirs for a few years now.
Well, we actually pedaled from Glasgow Green to the city chambers in George Square, seeing as the Scottish Parliament is in Edinburgh ^_^
It was awesome to see this event in my city!
A big crowd of cyclists turned up, many more than I expected, from all areas of Glasgow and beyond. I lead a feeder ride from my area, Rutherglen.
Many cycle chatters were present @Slick with Mrs. Slick (lovely to meet you!), @snorri, @phantasmagoriana, @Telemark's hubby (forgot his username!), @magnatom who is one of the organizers and main speaker.
CC won't allow me to upload more albums, apparently I exceeded my quota :whistle: so I'll post some pictures here and leave you with a couple of links for more.
Fantastic day for Glasgow's cycling history!
View attachment 349162 View attachment 349161 View attachment 349160 View attachment 349159 View attachment 349158 View attachment 349157 View attachment 349156 View attachment 349155 View attachment 349154 View attachment 349153

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154675135482956.1073741847.747127955&type=1&l=1a796c133b

http://pedalonparliament.org/pop-goes-large-in-glasgow/
Looks amazing!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
@dan_bo @Hacienda71
I had some spare time this morning and as I was passing decided to have a go at riding up Hacienda hill out of Top Mossley.
Conditions were almost perfect with some light rain during the early morning which just took off the dustiness of the dried clay after the recent warm dry spell.
On my 1st attempt I got about halfway up before I lost traction at the back wheel when I reached the grassy section between the two steeper rutted sections. No chance to get going again from here, it's definitely a 'nail it in one' type of climb, so I pushed my bike to the top before riding down for a second go.
Second attempt was looking a lot more promising, I didn't get bounced around on the rocks and ruts at the lower end and did get a few feet further before the slightly wet grass defeated me again :angry: The problem was definitely not one of gearing or strength, purely lack of grip.
I reckon if I go back on the MTB and try it I should just sail up. GT Grade, on what are essentially slick tyres, just can't get the grip.....

upload_2017-4-24_14-1-50.png

Top Bottom