Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
At last, a day off work. Desk painted, yep. Car brakes fixed, nope (parts needed). Out on the bike later than usual at about 1045, just as the rain started:rain:Not to worry, waterproof on and off I go. Todays plan was the metric 50 for the month, plus an extra few to gain another Eddington number. All going swimmingly until Lightwater where the legs started to tighten up a bit. Took it easy and figured it would go, but by South Ascot it was clear that wasn't happening, so paused for a leg pill. Unfortunately it hasn't worked well, and the last few miles home were agony:sad:.
1 positive, I got to 32.8 miles, so keeping the challenge alive.
Sitting here with the dogs looking at me wondering when they're getting walked. When I can, they will....

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A like for the miles, not the travails. GWS.

Old jon

Guru
Fooled again! The view from indoors was bright and breezy, and the fixed has not had an outing for a while, so off we went. It is quite a while since I have ridden through Hunslet, and I am probably the better for it. This morning was one of those ‘what the heck’ mornings, evidently.

It was a good bright morning, no strength to the breeze and the roads were quiet enough. Up the hill to John o’ Gaunts, left turn for the speedy down past Woodlesford station, twenty six and a lump mph, about the fastest I have pedalled the fixed. Swillington is still a hill, the hard work side of the hill which delivers the drop down to Garforth roundabout and the right turn to follow the A 63 all the way past Peckfield Bar and to the next roundabout along. The rain had started properly by now, so it was an easy choice to make. Micklefield to the left. It is still a quiet place on a weekday, and it does not take long to ride through to the B1217 and the right turn for Lotherton Gates, and left onto Lotherton Lane.

All the rest of the ride, well, it was still raining and hiding the grooves my tyres have made in the tarmac, I have ridden the roads this way so often. All the old familiar potholes, that is almost a line from a song. Aberford, I wonder, the roads were quiet still, has no one thought to tell me something? Barwick in Elmet, Scholes and the bit of A 64. Thorner Lane and brother Skeltons. By the Coal Road the rain stopped and blue skies appeared. By the time I reached the end of Red Hall Lane at the A 58 it was persisting again. Big Wheee! down the hill of boot and then! The rain did stop. Across central Leeds, a corner of Hunslet and home. 17.8 yards short of thirty miles and the weather took my mind off the effort of pedalling. Rather good.
Wet squiggles on a pretend map

24042017.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
@dan_bo @Hacienda71
I had some spare time this morning and as I was passing decided to have a go at riding up Hacienda hill out of Top Mossley.
Conditions were almost perfect with some light rain during the early morning which just took off the dustiness of the dried clay after the recent warm dry spell.
On my 1st attempt I got about halfway up before I lost traction at the back wheel when I reached the grassy section between the two steeper rutted sections. No chance to get going again from here, it's definitely a 'nail it in one' type of climb, so I pushed my bike to the top before riding down for a second go.
Second attempt was looking a lot more promising, I didn't get bounced around on the rocks and ruts at the lower end and did get a few feet further before the slightly wet grass defeated me again :angry: The problem was definitely not one of gearing or strength, purely lack of grip.
I reckon if I go back on the MTB and try it I should just sail up. GT Grade, on what are essentially slick tyres, just can't get the grip.....

View attachment 349219

Hacienda hill? Behind the Billy goat?

Osprey

Guru
Saturdays ride, a little late posting but here it is anyway. Early start, promises to be a sunny day so perfect day for my Aprils metric century and Strava Gran Fondo. I'm in training for the Tour of Pembrokeshire sportive in May which has 6000ft climbing in the 60 miles. To some of you, that intensity of hills is a normal day out but my normal riding is nearer 500ft per 10 miles. Decided to head for the Black Mountain which is the western edge of the Brecon Beacons national Park. Rode up the Amman Valley through the towns of Ammanford and Bryn Amman before the ascent up the Black Mountain. It averages around 8% for three miles which sounds quite easy but into a 10mph headwind made it a challenge. Loads of motorcyclists racing up it but the traffic was generally light and the views helped take my mind of he effort. Cold at the top but the return downhill was great and passed lots of weary looking cylists making the climb up. Followed the river Tawe back along the NCN 34. An enjoyable 103 km but disappointingly only 300ft of climbing. I like the strava elevation profile below which makes t look like the Matterhorn, but sadly its just a giant grassy mound.

upload_2017-4-24_17-28-36.png

IMG_0504[1].JPG

View West from Black Mountain

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi @Osprey
Did the wild ponies attack you when you stopped up on the black mountain road, Stopped in the layby there once and had to hold my bike up to prevent one standing on it. People feed them so they come nuzzling your pockets looking for sweets or whatever.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Aye, that's the one. Just got back from a rematch on the MTB and still couldn't quite do it, but is was chuffin close!
Ooooooh I have a hill named after me. :biggrin: Suspect I might do better going up it on the cx bike than I did rolling down it on the mtb:whistle:

This morning, I was up early. I mean stupid o'clock early!
I'd hoped to be able to wake up, and I actually did! I'd prepped the bike, and MrsPete, just in case my early start actually happened :laugh: (I really don't do 'early' anymore)
Anyways...I was out riding, with a belly full of porage, tyres full of air and a respiratory system full of mucous by 05:00. It was still dark!

I sort of had a route in mind, with anywhere between 60 to 80 miles planned, depending on my mood, and legs.
On my way down Hardwater Road, a lovely descent, I saw movement on the verge on my left. I was being paced by a bounding deer!.. Bloommin' heck, thought I, I hope he doesn't veer to his/her right or I'd have problems at 33 mph. Thankfully, we both held our course and survived the day..

View attachment 348863

First stop, for the obligatory photo, was Bell End, with my Bontrager Flare scorching both my helmet, and the wall. It was still quite dark at this point, hence the weird lighting!

From here, just as dawn proper was breaking, it started to drizzle. Then rain harder. I was glad that I'd chosen the correct riding gear. Skull cap, waterproof jacket, and toe covers. It was still a bit miserable though, especially as, once the rain stopped and I'd wiped my specs, it started again.. Stopped, and started again. I was wondering if the day was going to improve.
Eventually, by Kimbolton, it was slightly warmer and, happily, drier. I headed in the general direction of Oundle via roads I'd ridden before, albeit in the opposite direction.

View attachment 348865

Once there, everything was still closed. There's a new place to eat next to Gorilla Cycles that looks OK, but it was shut. :sad:

I rode through Oundle town, a really ancient and pretty place, only to fine the locals still standing on their doorsteps scratching their gonads and staring at the sky... Such is 'town life'..
Still too early to find a much needed caffeine boost. :sad:
I'd still not seen any other riders out yet, but, on leaving Oundle on the Corby road, I spied a couple of roadies in the distance. At least it wasn't just me in the area :laugh:

I reckoned that if I used the terribly surfaced road past Lyvenden New Bield, the cafe at Fermyn Woods would be open. Nope.. still only 8:50.. opening time 10:30 :sad:

Giving up all hope of caffeine and bacon, I headed homewards via Grafton Underwood and Cranford St John, where I started to see a few more folk out riding, and through Burton Latimer. Blimey, thought I! The Bear & Beignet, in Isham, might be open. I pass it every day on my way to work, and have never called in.

View attachment 348864

Really good coffee with a doorstep bacon sarnie, and they were happy for me to bring the bike in. Who could ask for more :notworthy:
Even though I was nearing home, it more than welcome.
On my final 12 or so miles, I was passing Sywell Aerodrome when a txt popped onto my phone. I was going to ignore it, but then stopped and read it. T'was my future son in law.. "Was that you riding past Sywell?". Phone call back.. "yep, where are you?" "With a couple of grandkids watching the planes!"
Quick U-turn, and a chance meeting and a chat for 10 minutes before my final 3 or 4 miles home. I love it when that happens ^_^

View attachment 348862

Back home on 71 miles, on a slightly lumpy route, happy to have managed a long ride with a chesty mucousy thing going on.. (I did check behind before snot rockets were launched!) I'm sure that being wet dry wet dry wet and dry again was good for the constitution... I'm so glad I wore my toe covers :cold:

https://www.strava.com/activities/952650464

:smile:
Blimey Pete I too like to get out that early when I can as its a great time of day with no one around but I am blowed if I could do the mileage you did. Well done.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Blimey Pete I too like to get out that early when I can as its a great time of day with no one around but I am blowed if I could do the mileage you did. Well done.
Cheers.. Sometimes I have to grab the opportunity for a longer ride, and still leave a bit of family time in the day as well, especially at weekends.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
;)More sunny weather yesterday..woohoo. I decided to combine bits of a couple of my favourite rides and after heading through Cunsey and over Le Col de Graythwaite (nice climb up through the woods with all the new leaves on the trees), I headed up past Graythwaite Hall and Green How Tarn towards Crosslands. It's an easier climb from the east side, but you do get better views if you tackle it from the west. After Satterthwaite and Grizedale, another steady climb up towards Moor Top and Hawkshead followed. For reasons known only to themselves, the driver of a BMW estate decided to stop dead in the middle of the road just after a hairpin bend-vorsprung durch technik mein herr!
After Hawksvegas, instead of my usual road from Outgate, I turned off towards Knipe Fold and then right towards the Drunken Duck (a bit longer with a bit more climbing but nice views). The road from the Drunken Duck towards Coniston and Skelwith Bridge has been resurfaced and now has more gravel than a duet between Tom Waits and Keith Richards, so take it easy with the brakes if you go that way.
Bog Lane from Skelwith Fold to Brathay is always a pleasure to ride, as the B road through Great Langdale can get insanely busy (schools are back now though:wahhey:)., then I skirted round Ambleside on the Under Loughrigg road, out onto the A591 at Rydal, then right at White Moss onto the back way to Grasmere. The views are better than the A591 and the risks to life and limb are much smaller too:dance:. Past the Forest Side Hotel (hi Mr Tickle!:highfive:) and then the long slog over Dunmail Raise-I had a headwind plus the odd hail shower, but all good things come to an end hehehe. You know a headwind is strong when you have to pedal hard going downhill! It was typical April weather really....sunny with lots of fluffy white clouds but Baltic. I was glad to turn off the A591 and onto the quiet lane round the west side of Thirlmere (nobody doing Tai Chi in the middle of the road this time). It's worth putting up with the A591 to ride this stretch and enjoy the views of the Helvellyn fells. After a brief uphill grunt to the summit of Dunmail Raise (fyi white Kia driver, stopping in the middle of a busy road is a bad idea:wacko:), I zipped down the hill I'd slogged up earlier and turned off down a nice lane that took me into the centre of Grasmere and Tweedies Bar...cheers!:cheers:The Detroit Sour City from Twisted Barrel and the Ekuanot from Fell Brewery were particularly good. I'd earned it after all:angel: and besides a couple of ex colleagues were leaving for Japan, so obvs I had to have a few farewell drinks with them;) (I did pretty much stick to halves though). I timed my stop at Tweedies well, because minutes after I commenced quaffing my schooner of Sour City, a full on whiteout was kicking off outside:cold:. It had finished when I left to be replaced with a nice starry sky for the ride back to Far Sawrey (Under Loughrigg rather than Red Bank this time) via Brathay. If any CCers fancy a Lakes real ale wobble let me know!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterdays pain, I opted to walk the dogs first, then go out on the bike. No issues walking, so off on a drug fuelled pedal:laugh: Nice easy ride today, just headed up to Windsor Great Park and did a few loops. Quite a few in fact, enough to make it another metric 50. Downside of the drugs is they make it difficult to tense your muscles, so going uphill was challenging. The ride home from the park was notably faster, since it's pretty much downhill all the way. Still, 31.4 pain free miles, happy days:smile: Mind you, it was chilly, the windproof gilet and arm warmers never came off, and I've got cold toes.
I did, for a change, stop for a photo. A view of Royalty, in the Royal back garden, with the Royal (OK, castle)in the distance.
25 Apr 2017 WGP.jpg

Top Bottom