Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another slow spin on the trike this morning, with the added company of my husband on his birthday. He cheered up no end as the sun came out, then the sun went in again and .... well we are usually on holiday for his birthday. In fact this is the first year we have not been and he's down as a result of that and everything else going on.

So it was just the usual. Little to report other than 2 horses not liking bikes, but tbh I think it was more the riders giving the horses the spook than us. The riders got edgy the moment they saw us long before the horses decided to raise an ear! Further on there was a flash of yellow in a bush, then another one, followed by 2 red faces - Goldfinches. Nice to see. Otherwise not much to report and very little in the way of nice light or even sunshine really!

IMG_2191.JPG

11.9km, a touch higher average than yesterday, but still too slow to bother posting.
https://www.strava.com/activities/268410726

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well 13 miles of pushing semi gas pipe around with big chunky flat pedals so no cages or clips , wider spongey smp saddle rather than my normal rock hard narrow one and non index gearing so hit and shift changes , last 2 and a bit miles into a head wind and damp road conditions so as any "tour de france" rider will say couldnt get tyres up to temperature , i left at 6.45 and returned at 7.37 ........... so all in all about the same and i suppose it might have been a bit quicker had i not had the headwind .

It was still an enjoyable ride no matter what , and just goes to show you dont need to spend loads of money to enjoy your cyling

Simontm

Veteran
32 miler this morn. Sort-of did the last 15m of Ride London (going up Copse lane rather than head into Raynes Park) into a closed Pall Mall and Constitution Hill which was nice if a tad precarious with all the pedestrians. Then picked up the A4 and did the out of London to Hampton Court section. Lots of organised runs today.

theloafer

Legendary Member
^_^^_^^_^ well after 8 months off the bike (eye probs) see loafers operation ... ,I was sat watching all the cyclists going by my window :sad:...I thought I was feeling fine and decided to go for it . had planned a route I thought should be ok 10 mile ...dam was I over optimistic :laugh: after about a 1 I/2 miles legs were screaming at me to stop:ohmy:...so change of plan and I just rode for the fun of it, and suddenly felt not so bad ... lasted for 5 miles and a bit :ohmy: guess I should be in the beginners section now :laugh::laugh::laugh:... but hey it sure feels great to be back out there :wahhey:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/720209495

^_^^_^^_^ well after 8 months off the bike (eye probs) see loafers operation ... ,I was sat watching all the cyclists going by my window :sad:...I thought I was feeling fine and decided to go for it . had planned a route I thought should be ok 10 mile ...dam was I over optimistic :laugh: after about a 1 I/2 miles legs were screaming at me to stop:ohmy:...so change of plan and I just rode for the fun of it, and suddenly felt not so bad ... lasted for 5 miles and a bit :ohmy: guess I should be in the beginners section now :laugh::laugh::laugh:... but hey it sure feels great to be back out there :wahhey:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/720209495
you can join me & my club... the slowbies.... think I may need to work on that nickname! :laugh:. my first few rides were not even that far!

I am struggling to average 6mph at the moment - and that is 6 miles taking me an hour as well! :laugh: still just being out again is great. I know my distance won't be increasing until at least Wednesday... want to be able to get to the bridge that is out by the weekend (this is roughly 7-8 miles round trip) so that my OH can join me and see if I can get through the barrier on each side that "they" decided to put up - recumbent trikes have slightly different width requirements and I can't get through all of the barriers on my route... this one will be the challenge because if I can't I have to be able to get back up a steep incline to rejoin the old railway... and if I can I have to be able to get up an even steeper incline :whistle: so may need my OH's assistance either way :dry:

t

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Longest ride since hernia op 6 weeks ago.
Wanted some hills in my legs so Warrington - Billinge then up the easy side of the hill at Crank before an exhilarating 38mph decent down the steep side.
Note to self replace brake blocks. Current ones must be made of cheese as the rears were rubbish by the bottom of the hill.
Then a nice climb back up the road I had just descended, before wending my way over to Standish and down the lumps and bumps of the A49 through Wigan, to home.
Chilly feet by the end, but happy with 42 miles.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
A nice steady metric century this morning (105km) with just over 1300m of climbing. Headed up to EK then up over the Ardochrig and out past Louden Hill then back to Strathaven followed by another loop out to Kirkmuirhill before dropping down into the Clyde valley for a bit then up the Tilletudlem climb (I'd forgotten how steep it is!!) before heading home via Ashgill and Larkhall. Pretty dull and overcast with a cold easterly breeze but the roads were dry so a bonus of no bike to be cleaned

davdandy

42 miles this morning and much improved on last weeks 46 miler where i struggled,due to doing sod all over Winter.I felt the last few miles but i know that will be overcome and the fitness will soon return.Nice day today though i wish i had worn my over shoes as my tootsies were cold.I thought i wouldnt need them but got that one wrong.

13 rider

Guru
Problematic ride this morning. Set off from Anstey at 0830. Plan was to meet up with mates and hour and half ride with them then push on to get a 50 miler in . on first downhill gears would not go into big ring on the front gears couple off attempts but it would go on the big ring.pushed on to mate number one at Mountsorrell via Cropston and Rothley then on to mate number two at sileby .A quick fettle and the three of us not knowing much .We set off again realising gears were no better plans for the 50 quickly abandoned.entering ragdale soon got dropped by mates on a downhill I said I meet them at the top of the next climb.at the bottom of the climb dropped into the bottom ring and much gear nashing and rubbing sound quick unclip before clipless moment .pulled to the side of the road to investigate and quickly realise the front mech had moved and was rubbing the tyre.multi tool out to adjust front mech as it has seem to have slipped round.just finished when another cyclist pulled up to see if I was OK( if that was you thank you) said I was and set of again to find mates waiting for me at the top .for a mile gears were fine and I was flying but then after a couple of gear changes problem returned . So a slow ride home via Hoby ,Thrussington,Radcliffe on wreake and Cossington trying to keep up with mates with no big ring .at Cossington we went are separate ways and I headed home via Rothley and Cropston.still managed 27 miles. A quick look at gears and I realised I know nothing. So bike in car and off to halfords( I now but Leicester halfords have been good for me) mechanic not busy so 20 mins later and front mech adjusted and all working ok^_^ while killing time in halfords went through bargain rail and got a lightweight gillet for a fiver^_^ thanks to bike plan free repair as well. So back home for lunch and an afternoon test ride called for. Set of for some hills Through Newton linford to Sharply hill where a passed a youngish girl in a recumbent hand cycle attempting sharply hill ! good on her .had a very quick chat with her and I presume her mum on a road bike would have chatted longer but I can't talk and climb after sharply turn left at Old John then left up priory lane 2 more climbs and then down Polly Botts lane and back home .9 miles done and bike working brilliantly better than it had for a couple of weeks so I presume the front mech may have been loose for some time. I must learn more about bike maintenance.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We went out for a quickie this afternoon. I'm shattered and Hubster is not a lot better.
We rode around the block, so to speak and covered 4.75 miles in 22 minutes or so. Better than last time we rode the same route and it took 27 minutes. Hubster's legs were spinning along today.

It was just starting to rain when we got in so we timed it just right.

gavgav

Guru
My 1st ride for a full month today. I moved into my new house 3 weeks ago, and it feels great to be in, but it's just been manic sorting things out and I don't have my bike at the house yet, as the shed base has been in the process of being built, ready for shed to hopefully go up next weekend. No internet connection yet (B.T are chuffing useless!) and so very limited visits to Cycle Chat recently as well.

I drove over to my brothers and had a quick chat to him, before wrapping up against the bitter easterly breeze and heading out. I took the cycle paths to Bayston Hill, sliding through the muddy underpass where the river has been out of its banks again, before climbing up Lyth Hill and dropping down to Exfords Green. The wind had been behind me until now, but I turned into it here and boy was it strong and freezing cold! Not sure I'd been that cold on a ride all winter!

I turned right, up Long Lane and through Longden, towards Pulverbatch. It's quite hilly here and my stupid knee started to hurt already. It's plainly obvious that rest is not helping it and nor are small saddle adjustments. It has only hurt since I had my new saddle and so I am going to put my old saddle back on the bike for next ride and see if it still hurts. That way I will know for sure if it's damaged the knee or just the change in position that is doing it.

I decided to cut the corner off before Pulverbatch and take a road I hadn't been down (or should that be up!!) before. It turned out to be a very steep climb, by far the steepest on my ride, ending up by the church in Church Pulverbatch! Won't be using it again!!

I then had the normally nice downhill section all the way to Stapleton, but today it was a real slog into the wind. This pretty much summed up the rest of the ride to Ryton, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, for starters, where normally I cruise at 20 mph avg, but today it was 12mph into the bitter wind!!

Next i headed to Atcham, into Attingham Park, where on the driveway I had my only close pass by a stupid Mini driver who couldn't wait 5 seconds.

It was then out onto the dreaded rat run, where luckily all the idiots we're going in the opposite direction, including 1 chap who must have been touching 80 in a 40 zone.

I then diverted off to Upton Magna and finally had the wind behind me for the last stint back to my brothers.

36.2 miles at a snail place of 10.5mph avg speed.

Top Bottom