Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterdays ride 29.02 miles in total. 22.46 of it from and too Lancaster station. Nearly chickened out when I seen the weather at 05:30 but I rode to Carlisle and managed to get over the M6 with out been blown off the bike. At Lancaster it was tossing it down. I faffed around, visited the toilet, checked the brakes etc. Then got on my way down to and over the Millennium bridge and headed straight for Morecambe. Pleasantly surprised at the sign posting on the trail and the friendliness of the cyclists on it. It was still tossing it down at Morecambe. In fact it was worse than ever. I was slightly disappointed that I did not see the Morecam and Wise statue but under the circumstances!! Rode up too Hest Bank and took to the canal back towards Lancaster. (after two miles and not seeing any body I had a run off behind a bridge abutment, Just got the waterproofs 3/4 back up when a jogger in bright orange passed me). After crossing the Lune Aqueduct I dropped down to the river Lune path and followed it to the A683. Where I turned back. On the way out I had stopped at the snack bar above the Crook of Lune for a bacon buttie and a coffee. I recommend this to any one and the view must be fantastic on a good day.At the A683 I retraced my steps (wheels) and with a couple of diversions finished back at Lancaster station. Strangely on the way back to Lancaster the rain had stopped and I dried out a bit but it came back on again when i reached the Millennium bridge and welcomed me again as I stepped out of Carlisle station. I enjoyed this ride and the people I met on it, both cyclists and pedestrians. Next trip in that area Lancaster to Kendal via Heysham and Morecambe. Hopefully in better weather.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yesterdays ride 29.02 miles in total. 22.46 of it from and too Lancaster station. Nearly chickened out when I seen the weather at 05:30 but I rode to Carlisle and managed to get over the M6 with out been blown off the bike. At Lancaster it was tossing it down. I faffed around, visited the toilet, checked the brakes etc. Then got on my way down to and over the Millennium bridge and headed straight for Morecambe. Pleasantly surprised at the sign posting on the trail and the friendliness of the cyclists on it. It was still tossing it down at Morecambe. In fact it was worse than ever. I was slightly disappointed that I did not see the Morecam and Wise statue but under the circumstances!! Rode up too Hest Bank and took to the canal back towards Lancaster. (after two miles and not seeing any body I had a run off behind a bridge abutment, Just got the waterproofs 3/4 back up when a jogger in bright orange passed me). After crossing the Lune Aqueduct I dropped down to the river Lune path and followed it to the A683. Where I turned back. On the way out I had stopped at the snack bar above the Crook of Lune for a bacon buttie and a coffee. I recommend this to any one and the view must be fantastic on a good day.At the A683 I retraced my steps (wheels) and with a couple of diversions finished back at Lancaster station. Strangely on the way back to Lancaster the rain had stopped and I dried out a bit but it came back on again when i reached the Millennium bridge and welcomed me again as I stepped out of Carlisle station. I enjoyed this ride and the people I met on it, both cyclists and pedestrians. Next trip in that area Lancaster to Kendal via Heysham and Morecambe. Hopefully in better weather.
Well done for making the effort. I postponed my forum ride to Glasson Dock near Lancaster because I didn't fancy the look of the weather yesterday, and I will not be riding for the next couple of days either for the same reason!

contadino

Veteran
I have a question after today's ride...

Imagine, if you will, cycling along on one of your regular routes on a lovely sunny, if a little windy, day. You haven't been out for nearly a week due to inclement weather, so you're trying to blow a few cobwebs away. As you approach a junction where the little lane joins a slightly bigger road, someone in a dayglo jacket tells you to hurry up as the traffic has been stopped. So you join the road and find you've inadvertently joined the town's annual cycle race.

Never having been in a cycle race before. let alone been cheered along at anything, I must say it was quite an odd experience.

So my question is, should I have turned around before joining the race and found another route, or are we all one big happy cycling family? Admittedly I didn't pay the EUR 28 entry fee, but neither did I charge the race organisers anything for using my regular route.

Sadly the marshal on the turning where I decided to leave the race wasn't quite as laid-back as the one who invited me to join and sent a torrent of abuse after me.

http://jeremy.contadini.co.uk/press-ganged/

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
And then there were three ....... Two lads and a lass. One of Kingsway CCs smallest ever turnouts this morning. No doubt partly because of the hour change and partly down to the vile weather. Last night's forecast mentioned 40mph gusts and a "100% chance of rain". Bernie suggested a 30 miler as she didn't fancy a 40 in this weather, so I suggested a loop via Stroud (to pick up a tail wind) and up the Slad Valley and back through Buckholt Woods (to get as much shelter from the wind as possible).

Went well, except for the occasional vicious side winds - two of us were nearly blown from our bikes on the way down Nut Hill. The return journey past Gloucester was just horrible. Into the wind all the way. Depressing, energy sapping stuff. When we arrived back at Kingsway, Ian and Bernie looked like they had just ridden the Grand National ... mud splattered and filthy. Even Bernie's pony tail was muddy. I had a rush of blood to the head and decided to add another 8 or so miles to turn it into a 40 miler by heading out down the lanes to Longney and back via Elmore. Regretted it immediately, as the headwind was getting really wild. The builders' flags on the Kingsway estate were flying horizontally today. Down to 6mph on the flat at times. Grim.

Once I got to Longney and turned the corner it was like I'd suddenly turned on the afterburners, and I positively shot home, mostly at speeds of over 20mph. 41.6 miles in all today. Loved the bit in the Slad valley and Buckholt Woods (except for the sad sight of a dead deer in the road). Glad I got the miles in. Take care out there though, everyone. It's pretty wild right now,
Cheers, Donger.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

So my question is, should I have turned around before joining the race and found another route, or are we all one big happy cycling family? Admittedly I didn't pay the EUR 28 entry fee, but neither did I charge the race organisers anything for using my regular route.

Sadly the marshal on the turning where I decided to leave the race wasn't quite as laid-back as the one who invited me to join and sent a torrent of abuse after me.

Were there road closed signs? If not why not carry on?

As to the abuse, he needs to get a life & see the funny side.

Rustybucket

Veteran
https://www.strava.com/activities/275848623

Surprisingly didn't get taken out by a cross-wind. 2nd hardest ride of the year.
At one point was cycling next to an owl in flight for about 5 mins, made the ride worthwhile. Didn't enjoy my garmin crashing and sending me down a dirt track, you can see where I got lost after box hill. Was trying to keep an average mph of 15 but had no chance with the wind and rain.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

You were unfortunate not to see the Eric Morecambe statue as you must have cycled past it on the promenade on the ride up to Hest Bank. You'll enjoy your next ride too; make sure you route via Silverdale and Arnside as that area is lovely and comes out at Milnthorpe. After that there are loads of little lanes to get to Kendal. I'm originally from Carnforth and lived in Kendal so if you want any route advice just let me know

Imagine, if you will, cycling along on one of your regular routes on a lovely sunny, if a little windy, day. You haven't been out for nearly a week due to inclement weather, so you're trying to blow a few cobwebs away. As you approach a junction where the little lane joins a slightly bigger road, someone in a dayglo jacket tells you to hurry up as the traffic has been stopped. So you join the road and find you've inadvertently joined the town's annual cycle race.

Never having been in a cycle race before. let alone been cheered along at anything, I must say it was quite an odd experience.

Brilliant story . This kind of thing really tickles me. You lap up all the cheering and enjoy a "different" experience on your normal route. Very funny.

Top Bottom