Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out early today, to try and avoid the rain that was forecast from midmorning.Was considering taking the road bike, but decided to use the hybrid in case the rain came early.
Up to Scholes, then the Manston Mile down Bog Lane and out onto Manston Lane and the bridleway at Nanny Goat Lane and up past the stables. Left on Barwick Rd like yesterday, but then up Parlington Lane through the woods on NCN R66. The weather was glorious which possibly explains the number if people about early doors on a Sunday.
On reaching Aberford, I turned right and headed South along Main Street. Stopped by the Almshouses for a drink and a photo and to give the bike a once over
IMG_20150726_083402367_HDR.jpg

http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures.lasso?process=3&subProcess=struct13

I debated following the road into Garforth, but decided not to - it would mean traversing a motorway junction, it's not a particularly Cycle friendly road and I was on a bike for having fun. So I turned round and reversed my ride along Route 66. Still more people out now, enjoying the sun on the bridleway.
Then across onto Ellis Lane and the bridleway over the golf course. I wasn't ready for home yet, so on reaching Manston Lane retraced my route back to Garforth on Nanny Goat Lane, passing yet more cyclists and joggers.
Then right at the end and into Barrowby Lane to head back via Thorpe Park.
Down the big hill and over the railway line, a quick ride up Manston Lane and then over Pendas Fields to home.
18.79 miles in 1h 33m at an average 12.1 mph with 742ft of climbing, plus 2 PBs. And no sign of any rain. I'll take that any day. :okay:
As an aside, I passed lots of dog walkers and their hounds - collies, collie crosses, labs, GSDs, various assorted terriers even a Rottweiler - all of which were well behaved / controlled and not a moments problem. But when I passed a little Shih Tzu it went bananas and started chasing me! :rofl:

PS - the midmorning rain finally arrived at about 1pm, so I could have had that lie in...

Missed yesterdays club ride but got out this morning(but still missed the Sunday club ride:rolleyes:).

A tough 70kms but some good results although I am paying for it now.Hard going out with the head wind but nicer on the return leg although it did rain on the way back;only really started chucking it down when I got back to Ely and did a warm down around the city(with a stop in Waitress for provisions).

https://www.strava.com/activities/354446703

Got the 200k done for the weeks goal and hopefully should get 1000kms done for the month.

Spike on a bike

Über Member
Strang how yesterday I woke up at 6am and it was bucketing down so didn't go out.
Today woke at almost 9am and it was fine so quick shower and cup of tea and out.

Up the B1113 towards Norwich met several cyclists most of whom said hello or grunted a hello back .

As I passed the jolly farmers at Tacolneston a club group (I assume) flashed across the crossroads in their bright orange kit but no idea what club .

Into Wrenningham an at the bottom of the hill traffic lights on red so waited in the queue as another group came thru most of whom said hello :-)

Onwards towards Norwich and heading up the hill towards the bird in hand last nights Chinese was trying to make an appearance so I slowed to a plod as a lone cyclist whizzed past with a cheery good morning ( sorry for the grunt as a reply but by that time I daren't open my mouth ) .

Turned towards Wymondham thru Hethel intending to go look in the LBS on back lane but completely forgot until I got to Attleborough and the rain started .

Quick coffee stop at mums and then another 1/2 mile down the road at my mates as he supplies fags too.

Rode back from Attleborough via Quidenham past the hospice and home

Total miles 20 dry
9.9 wet

Time taken 2hrs 6 mins not sure that's right tho

Numpty count 1 ( assume when you can feel the heat from the radiator on your legs their fairly close to the rear wheel ? )

D

Deleted member 1258

Newtown Linford the destination, 66 miles the journey. Not the nicest ride I've done, far to big a dollop of Rule 9, 1'm trying to figure out is does it make me a badass or a daft sod. A cold grey windy day and a ride of two halves, all complicated by a slow puncture on the back, I pumped the back tyre up three times on the way out.The ride out was cold and grey but dry and followed my usual route out to Desford through Shilton, Withybrook, Monks Kirby and Claybrook Pava, at Desford I had to decide do I head for the Parrot sanctuary or turn for Newtown Linford, I turned through Newtown Unthank, Ratby and Groby and onto Newtown Linford, as I pulled up outside the Jade Tea Rooms the rain started. Leaving the cafe I walked across the road and took shelter under a big tree so I could change the rear tube in the dry, after that was sorted I followed my wheel tracks back to Desford then followed the main road and turned for Kirby Mallory then turned and crossed the main road then headed for Sutton Cheney and passed the Bosworth Battle Field and onto Shenton where I picked up my usual route home, it rained all the way home, even the ducks at Atterton looked p***** off, and I arrived home looking like a drowned rat, I'm sure the weather gods have spotted that I'm still working out how to get mudguards on my Eastway, thats the forth ride I've done on it and two of those have been wet.

13 rider

Guru
Newtown Linford the destination, 66 miles the journey. Not the nicest ride I've done, far to big a dollop of Rule 9, 1'm trying to figure out is does it make me a badass or a daft sod. A cold grey windy day and a ride of two halves, all complicated by a slow puncture on the back, I pumped the back tyre up three times on the way out.The ride out was cold and grey but dry and followed my usual route out to Desford through Shilton, Withybrook, Monks Kirby and Claybrook Pava, at Desford I had to decide do I head for the Parrot sanctuary or turn for Newtown Linford, I turned through Newtown Unthank, Ratby and Groby and onto Newtown Linford, as I pulled up outside the Jade Tea Rooms the rain started. Leaving the cafe I walked across the road and took shelter under a big tree so I could change the rear tube in the dry, after that was sorted I followed my wheel tracks back to Desford then followed the main road and turned for Kirby Mallory then turned and crossed the main road then headed for Sutton Cheney and passed the Bosworth Battle Field and onto Shenton where I picked up my usual route home, it rained all the way home, even the ducks at Atterton looked p***** off, and I arrived home looking like a drowned rat, I'm sure the weather gods have spotted that I'm still working out how to get mudguards on my Eastway, thats the forth ride I've done on it and two of those have been wet.
You got within a mile of my house next village to Newtown Linford ,Anstey if you knew you could have had use of bike workshop (shed) to sort the bike

Dark46

Veteran
Having switched tyres on my bikes due to recent amount of punctures, I was interested to see how the Orro reacted to 700x28 tyres.

Today's ride wad supposed to be 100km to celebrate the end of the TdF.
Well I met Dean and Chris at KFC to the ride to the pub for the start. Yes you've guessed it. It was raining! I had felt put my wet weather coat and long leggings on for the worst conditions.

The bike seemed to be running fine and the grip from the Schwalbe Duranos seemed to be great as expected.

We arrived to find we were one of this first there and others had arrived with their bikes in vans or on top of cars. Whimps lol.

Sods law as I'm typing this the bloody sun is out!!!!!!

As it got setting off time and there was no sign of the weather letting off the 100km was cancelled, to do what you want and turn around when you had had enough.

We followed the planned route out of Gloucester to Maisemore and Hartpury then to Tewkesbury. It was here that we decided to head for home but not straight down the A38. I suggested to turn off the A38 and head through Tredington and Stoke Orchard. From here we cut across the Knightsbridge
and then towards Churchdown and back into Gloucester.

Back at the pub a swift pint of Cider was drunk before the again wet trip home.

All in all for me it was 40.7 miles, and a good ride with great bunch of lads.

Looking forward to KCC ride next week as long as the weather is fine.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My forum ride yesterday ...

Details of the route are included in that thread so I won't repeat them here.

The ride was based on the forum ride I organised from Settle in 2011, but I made a few changes with help from local rider @Sea of vapours (Mike) who also did the ride. We were joined by @doughnut (Doug), @busdennis (Robert) and my pal Bill. 5 riders was a nice number - enough to make it fell like a group ride, but easy to keep an eye on everyone.

Bill and I were lucky because Robert kindly drove 20 miles out of his way to pick us up from Bramley station, near Leeds. (We bought return tickets but while we were on the train to the pick-up, we worked out that it would be quicker to be dropped off at Keighley on the way back and ride home over the big hill to the Calder Valley. More about that later.)

We got picked up at the station as planned. The bike transport was ideal - Robert was driving his van and had fixed his bike on his turbo trainer in the middle, with cardboard bike boxes lashed to either side of the inside of the van with bungee cords. So Bill's bike was attached to one bike box, and mine to the other.

We got slightly confused by the roads between Bramley and Keighley and ended up doing a detour through Cullingworth and Haworth Brow, but we were not too late getting to Settle, where Mike and Doug were waiting for us.

We finally set off at about 10:25.

The weather was kind to us - Mike said that it has been pretty damp around the Dales for the past couple of weeks but the sun came out for us yesterday. We all felt that it was a lot warmer than the forecast 15-17 degrees.

We set off into limestone country
Limestone country.jpg

When we did the Settle ride in 2011 we had to do a few hundred metres on the A65. The problem is, that involves a double crossing of a road which has a poor safety record. It is very narrow, twisty, and turny, and often very busy; not ideal for cyclists ... That problem has been fixed! A short strip of the fields at the side of the A65 has been turned into a cycle path and the dry stone wall moved back a couple of metres to the other side of it. No need now to fight the traffic.

We got deeper and deeper into the beautiful Dales countryside. It is fabulous cycling territory on a sunny day. We commented a couple of times though that you would not want to be out there in bad weather!

We winched our way up a big hill to get this view, and wanted to share it with you ...

View down Deepdale to Dentdale
Deepdale to Dentdale.jpg

There is a scary descent from that point - the photo doesn't quite show how steep the road is. Here's a warning to be taken very seriously - There are gates across that road and it is steep, narrow, with tight bends, sheep wandering about etc. Take it very easy if you ever ride down there.

On the previous Settle ride we climbed up past Dent station and over the 'Coal Road' to Garsdale Head. This time we took an alternative route via Newby Head Moss and the B6255. That involves a steep climb up under the viaduct over which passes the Settle-Carlisle railway. [If you ever get the chance to travel on that line - DO! It is a wonderfully scenic line which cost the lives of scores of men to build and had been threatened by closure in the 1980s until a protest campaign and the support of Michael Portillo persuaded the tory government to save it But be warned ... if you decide to have a weekend break in the charming Dales village of Dent, make sure that you arrange transport from Dent station - it is 7 km from the village and up a very steep hill 200 metres higher up!]

Where was I ...? Oh yes, up on the B6255! If anybody had wanted a shortcut back, they could have turned right and descended to Ribblehead then turned left onto the B6249 for an easy ride back down to Settle, but the Gang of Five were up for the challenges which were to come. We turned left instead ...

We descended for 8 km (with a couple of small uphill blips on the way down) and then left the B6255 for one of my typical quiet road detours, down a little lane to Appersett. There were a few potholes and patches of gravel to catch out the unwary, but we all got down ok. After that, it was a right turn onto the A684 for a quick 2 km blast to our cafe stop at Hawes.

I say 'cafe stop' ... Actually, Hawes was heaving with tourists in the sunshine. We didn't really fancy sitting indoors and queuing to be served, so we found a Spar instead and bought refreshments there which we ate out in the street. (We did actually buy takeout coffees from a cafe in the end though.)

Eventually, it was time to get back on the bikes and head off for the biggest challenge of the day - the tough climb of Fleet Moss, as featured on a recent edition of the Cycle Show on ITV4. You may be able to still catch that on ITVPlayer if you are quick.

Mike went ahead on the steepest part of the climb, followed by Robert and Bill. Doug and I brought up the rear. Bill looked overgeared and I saw him stop at least 3 times ahead of me before setting off again. He still managed to get up the climb without walking, and he got up there quicker than me. I climbed like Chris Froome. No, not at warp speed leaving everybody except Quintana in my wake - I mean that I was staring down at my handlebar stem! Every time I looked up the hill it scared me so I thought it better not to look! :laugh:

I was just able to get up there sitting down, unlike in 2011, when my grovelling ended before the summit, in a world of pain.

Now then - I have a complaint! How come when one is on a CC forum ride, 4.5 stone overweight, drenched in sweat, and walking up a steep hill with one's bike, there always seem to be 5 or 6 vindictive b*st*rds gathered at the top with cameras poised to document one's suffering, whereas when one has slimmed down and developed a modicum of fitness, the faster riders on the climb shoot on ahead to enjoy the scenery a km down the road rather than taking pictures of one's glorious triumph! :whistle:

Anyway, Doug and I eventually found the others lurking at the summit beyond the killer part of the climb. I took a picture of them standing with the bikes. You can see Ingleborough, one of Yorkshire's '3 peaks' in the distance. (Apologies for the road apparently growing out of Bill's head - I didn't notice that at the time or I would have moved round a bit to take the picture!)

Lads atop Fleet Moss (L-R Sea of vapours, busdennis, Bill, Doughnut)
Lads atop Fleet Moss.jpg

The next part of the route is absolutely cracking! Initially, there is a steep descent which almost caught me out. I did what several riders did on a recent Tour de France descent - I went into a bend too fast and almost overshot it. That distracted me so I failed to look ahead and see the huge pothole that I was about to hit at 50 kph, and that distracted me from noticing quite how quickly that black car was coming up towards me .. My swerve round the pothole had me unwisely close to the car! Definitely my mistake that time, rather than that of a stupid driver.

The sun was by now hidden behind cloud cover. It's a pity because Langstrothdale Chase is gorgeous on a sunny day. It was still very pretty, just not as vivid as it can be.

We continued to slowly descend as we entered Wharfedale, proceeding through Buckden, Starbotton and Wharfedale before our right turn into Littondale.

And then it started raining! Oh drat ... The forecast had suggested sun all day, but no such luck. Mike reckoned that it would all blow over, and I could see gaps in the clouds roughly where the wind was coming from, so I thought so too. And so it came to pass. A soggy start to Littondale, but by the time we got beyond Arncliffe, it had already stopped, the sun was shining again and the roads were beginning to dry.

We had our first (only) d*ckhead driver of the day as we headed towards Halton Gill at the end of the dale. Evidently we had not thrown ourselves off the road fast enough to suit his highness! So, the usual aggro from him. I pitied him really - it must be awful having one's 4 cm penis crushed by such a massive dangling beer belly! ^_^

Mike had told me that the climb up from Halton Gill was much easier than the monster from Arncliffe halfway down the dale. He was right, but it still felt tough at that stage of the ride. I could swear that we actually got a hint of a tailwind up there though, which was nice.

Last photos of the day ...

'Please drive carefull lambs ont road'!
Please drive carefull lambs ont road.jpg

Sea of vapours (left) and Doughnut
Sea of vapours and Doughnut on CycleChat forum ride.jpg

That is a wonderfully scenic undulating road, which finishes in a quick descent to Stainforth, just a few kms up the road from Settle. It wasn't long before we were back in the car park and saying our goodbyes.

There were no problems with fitness. It was a tough hilly 116 km (72 mile) loop but we all got round ok. I was probably the slowest rider but at least I did not have to walk up any of the climbs this time!

It was nice meeting and chatting with you, Robert, Mike and Doug. Bill can sometimes get a bit ratty if rides are too slow for him but he declared himself very happy with his day out.

Thanks very much for the lifts Robert, and especially for taking us up the congested climb out of Keighley - that left us with a fun 7 km descent to Hebden Bridge without having to do the hard bit first!

I remembered that I had to go and water plants for a friend who is away, so by the time I got home I had done 131 km (82 miles).

A great day out, only slightly marred by 30 minutes of showers, one plonker in a car, and nagging transmission problems on my bike which I really must sort out.

I will do this ride again next summer, so start your training NOW if you like the look of it but think it looks too hard for you! :okay:

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I had the rain due at 11, so it was a bit disappointing getting wet at 8:30.

Drenched, stopped for cappuccinos, went back out in the pouring rain.

Felt like a real cyclist (fool for going out in the rain).

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Looking forward to KCC ride next week as long as the weather is fine.
Dear me.... where has the Dunkirk Spirit gone?
It wasn't a KCC ride today, due to the weather and various absences.:whistle:... but the Kingsway Popular Front had its first outing... (That's Big Jim and me). For a moment, when I first turned up at The Barn Owl, it looked like I was the only one stupid enough to go out in that weather:rain:. Then it turned out there were two of us. Big Jim never misses a ride just because of the weather, and actually turned out in lycra shorts throughout the Winter, so I should have known he'd be there.

I suggested a nice flat ride, so that Jim wasn't left waiting for me at the tops of hills, and we headed off for Stroud in the pouring rain with no real plan other than that I'd promised Mrs Donger faithfully that I'd be back home by 12:00 so we could go out for Sunday lunch with her sister.

Ended up riding through Stroud and making a spur of the moment decision to take a side road we had never ridden before, uphill to Thrupp, Brimscombe and Bisley. As we entered Thrupp Lane, I distinctly remember saying "how bad could it be?". We soon found out. Thrupp Lane runs parallel to the main A road that leads to Cirencester, but undulates considerably, affording fantastic views across the valley. Unfortunately it varies from 12% to 17% (according to Jim's Garmin), and is then followed by at least a mile of constant climbing varying between 14 and 18%. Despite being only about 15 miles from home, neither of us knew where the hell we were, As it was about 10:50 by then, we decided to take the very next turn for Stroud, from where I felt certain I could get home in less than an hour. Turned out to be a bit like a TT from then on, but with us taking turns at the front. Was very glad to see the road start to head downhill, and surprised to see views of the distant Severn even from the NE of Stroud. Scarily steep descent of Stroud Hill felt like an olympic ski jump, and my hands hurt from braking so hard all the way down.
Ended up heading for home via the most direct route - straight over yet another big hill (Horsepools Hill) at Pitchcombe. On the way down the other side (at my 31 mile mark) we saw our one and only other cyclist of the day. It was still raining. Got home with 10 minutes to spare. Never doubted we would. :whistle:
One of the best "club" ride routes ever. Shame about the weather though. 35.8 miles in all, and my kit is still all soaking wet.
Donger.

D

Deleted member 23692

I'm trying to get my road bike mojo back as I've been ignoring it of late. Until today it's been out 4 times this year and, only clocked up 130ish miles. So this morning I was out the house at 8:00 to give the old gal a whirl following the high ground up the western side of the Eden Valley.

Out of Carlisle via Cumwhinton, Cotehill and Aiketgate before dropping down to Armathwaite, after which is the long uphill slog through Salkeld Dykes to Bowscar before the dropping down to cross the A6 and M6 at J41. The Lakes was looking particularly good from Bowscar so I stopped for a piccy...

WP_20150726_09_36_38_Pro_zpstpmtfhsz.jpg

After the the motorway the terrain became more undulating (AKA easier for these parts) as I headed through, Laithes, Skelton and Lamonby to eventually reach Raughton Head, where I cut across to the Crown Inn for the long gradual descent back to Carlisle via the Racecourse.

A very nippy, but dry and not too windy 42miles and 2600ft ascent

5852490.png

Legend of Gelert audax for me today. 132k, 4200ft, moving av 12.0, total time 8:25 - or 30mins more than last year. Flapjack, wine gums and SIS drink for fuel. Bit disappointing that time, but the weather was mostly horrible. Never ridden for so long inside a washing machine before. My formerly immaculate Defy now looks a wreck. Endura jacket kept me dry, as did the BBB overshoes. Warm feet all day. Bibshorts and leg warmers. I was concerned about exposure and hypothermia in the wind and rain around the back of Snowdon - hence well wrapped up.

Llandudno, round the Great Orme (2 stinker climbs in the first 10 miles!), Conwy, NCR5 along the N Wales coast to Penrhyn Castle (horrible traffic noise and spray all the way, but the engineering works done to thread the cycle way through some very difficult terrain is well worth the trip). Then up behind Caernarfon (lots of short and sharp ups and downs) and down the main road through Beddgelert, and then up the 600ft climb to the Pen y Gwryd hotel, and on to Capel Curig, Betws y Coed, Conwy (with the steep little tinker at Tyn y Groes a couple of miles before the town) and back to the start at Rhos on Sea.

Solid rain from the start to Penhryn, then again into Beddgelert and through to Betws - where a tea and cake stop seemed to abate the rain to drizzle. Then the sun came out a couple of miles before Conwy, but not enough to dry up the road and the diesel on a steep downhill bend on coming into the town. No real damage other than a bit of road rash - not sure what the boss will say when she sees that.

Cracking run in the rain down the hills into both Beddgelert and Betws.

My thanks to 84 yo Fearless Fred on his titanium audax bike and Paul from Macclesfield Wheelers for your company all day. See you next year.

Bed calls.....

U

User19783

Your hardcore going up that three times in this weather. I've been up that hill a few time myself, (last time on Monday) but only in the dry.

Not hard core at all,

Just that I've been watching the tdf , and I thought I needed a challenge,
The ride from Abingdon though Wallingford up to Streatly was a good warm up, and a good cool down.

The loop around was only 4 miles, so time plenty of time to recover,

I think I shall do this route more often, as I made out on my heart rate, which is not a bad thing,

I shall keep my eye out for you, next time.
All the best.

Top Bottom