Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I set out at 6.45 this morning and instead of heading north-west to work in Coventry, I headed south-east. Traces of mist hung over the fields still but it was quickly lifting as sunrise approached, and it was a crisp 5°C.

There was just a red glow on the horizon as I passed Napton-on-the-Hill, then topping a hill at Priors Marston I suddenly rode into blinding golden light, and I continued riding towards the sun down into Buckinghamshire. At Silverstone I passed the huge grounds of the racing circuit, and then did a loop south via Dadford and Chackmore, within a whisker of Buckingham and passing en route the vast landscaped grounds of Stowe House. I met another cyclist near Leckhampstead who was on the way to a group ride starting in Stoney Stratford, so he led me down the best route to get there, and I finished with a couple more miles to Wolverton station where I was in time for my 9.58 train back to Coventry and work. It was a beautiful morning to be out riding in, and was only slightly spoilt at the end by a clunking from the rear wheel that developed on the final stretch, and will give me something to look at this weekend.

Photos : Telecoms tower near Priors Marston, and the Corinthian Arch at Stowe.
View attachment 105397 View attachment 105398

The route
View attachment 105396
Did you ride over the cattle grids towards the arch? Probably the most vicious bumps you'll come across!!

28 odd miles (once corrected for Stravanisimis)

https://www.strava.com/activities/405356551

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

:thumbsup:

Old jon

Guru
Going “cross”

After spending far too much time on my mountain bike, I decided it was time to get some cross bike action in. A circumnavigation of Blencathra and Skidaw in the Lake District seemed to fit the bill – plenty of quiet roads, some mine tracks on the north side, and plenty of beautiful scenery.

Finding the coast-to-coast route in Keswick was the first hurdle of the day, but eventually a narrow gap in a fence was found, and the route was started.

wp_20151002_10_46_09_pro.jpg

wp_20151002_10_55_01_pro.jpg

The ride along the railway track was beautiful, but the section along the A66 wasn’t. Once leaving Scales, however, the route gradually made distance from the A66 and became nicer and nicer (though there were a lot of gates).

wp_20151002_11_30_46_pro.jpg

wp_20151002_11_36_59_pro.jpg
More gates

wp_20151002_12_03_07_pro.jpg
Amazing views into the hills from Mosedale

wp_20151002_12_21_19_pro.jpg
A strange invention, bracken bales

wp_20151002_12_22_04_pro.jpg
The view south

Once around the Caldbeck fells, the route leaves the tarmac and works its way west along old mine tracks.

wp_20151002_12_43_03_pro.jpg
Onto the mine tracks

wp_20151002_13_00_19_pro.jpg
The view east from the mine track

wp_20151002_13_04_01_pro.jpg
Just before descending off the hillside

One off the hill there is some really remote roads, gently undulating, before back off-road at Green Head.

wp_20151002_13_32_57_pro.jpg
On the track from Green Head to Longlands

From Longlands there are more undulating narrow and deserted roads, before a wonderful descent through the Park Wood into Bassenthwaite. I was expecting a pub stop here, but it was closed :-( Never mind, cycle on.

wp_20151002_14_20_54_pro.jpg
Nice wooded road on the way back to Keswick

Eventually the A591 must be joined for a high speed 6km run into Keswick. Bike packed away, and off to the Little Chamonix café for a quick snack.

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/404847030

screen-shot-2015-10-02-at-19-46-30.png

I am only a little jealous. Blencathra is probably my favourite hill in England, for the walking of that is. Brilliant stuff.

My ride today was much tamer. Armley, Viaduct Road via the towpath, Cardigan Road to North Lane to Otley Road, to Otley itself via Pool for the
WHEEEEEEEEEEEE !!! factor of descending Pool Bank. Back via Leeds road. A bit busier than I usually find it. 29.1 miles, weather brightening as the miles mounted. Otley must be one of the few towns around which still has tobacco advertising, albeit for defunct brands . . . IMG_0881.jpg

postman

Legendary Member
First of all,where was the sun.It came out around 14-30 near Keighley.Trouble was i was on the train coming back.The ride just short of 30 miles,was good,the surface got rubbish after Bingley Five Rise Locks.But i got to Skipton at 13-00.Had a break of one hour fifteen mins in Skipton.Decided as the weather was misty to get the train back..All in all a good day out.I feel fantastic and full of energy,wonderful.I don't think i need to do that ride again.I will go on my road bike next time via Bolton Abbey and Embsay.Loved the day out today.

Gareth C

Veteran
I am only a little jealous. Blencathra is probably my favourite hill in England, for the walking of that is. Brilliant stuff.

There were a bunch of guys who held a gate open for me who were heading up Sharp Edge. I wished them luck, as I've never been up there.

Before I got the cycling bug I used to do a lot of climbing, and Sharp Edge was working it's way up the list for a full winter conditions ascent. Looks like now I ought to get around to selling my climbing gear and investing it in bike stuff...

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
A slightly shorter weekend ride for me today as I'm at the Arsenal tomorrow & had to fit my usual Sunday elderly Mother visit in this morning.

Heading out just after lunch on a pleasant but slightly chillier day than of late I decided to keep it local & just have a ride around the forest on some regular & some not so regular roads taking in Furzley, Stoney Cross & Linwood before heading down to Bransgore & the half way point, Burley. The return leg was across the even more open parts of the forest via Brockenhurst, where a postal van had found its way into a ditch (I didn't photograph it in case anybody was injured although it didn't look like it) & then onto Beaulieu & Colbury for a 51 mile round trip.

Disappointingly, given that the New Forest is a national park with speed limits between 20 & 40 mph, it is about the worse place locally for bad driving with instances today (not including postman Pat in a ditch) where a 4x4 towing a caravan decided to overtake me on a bend whilst I was doing 20mph on a downhill only to pull over sharply in front but seemingly forget that he had a caravan behind him, :eek: & this was closely followed by a Renault Cleo passing a family on mountain bikes coming from the opposite direction & heading towards me on my side of the road!!

Thankfully I live to ride another day!

https://www.strava.com/activities/405405518

008.JPG

The contrasting environments of riding in the New Forest, from tree lined roads as above to miles of openness as below. (not good on windy days!)
007.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With the beautiful weather of last week extending into the weekend it looked ideal for getting in the October Imperial Century Challenge ride.

Unfortunately, at this time of year light winds always means the possibility of fog, and so it proved when I looked out first thing.:sad: I decided to go for it anyway and chose to do one of my "easy" routes going south to Cardington initially, then heading back north through Cressage, Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Shawbury, Wem and Ellesmere before heading across to Oswestry and south again through Melverley, Westbury, Lea Cross and over to Condover before making for home.

The fog was thick and cold. I had two fleeces on at the start and was very glad of them. Lights were obviously wanted and I also made use of a tip I picked up on here to put a bit of washing up liquid on my glasses to help prevent them fogging up. This works (for a while at least) and was most helpful.

It never ceases to amaze me the people who drive in dense fog without lights on, and today was no exception.:headshake: Oh, and to all those who think that side lights are fine in fog, here is a tip.... THEY AREN'T - put your headlights on! :rolleyes: (Almost all of the cyclists who loomed out of the gloom were without any lights too.:thumbsdown:)

Not much to report on the ride really - An audiot tried a MGIF pass on me in Wem only to meet another vehicle nose to nose. (Seriously, how on earth did you think you were going to fit through that gap?:scratch::laugh:) I had a brief chat with another rider in Wem and found the road to Ellesmere unexpectedly closed. Fortunately I was planning a route that skirted round the closed bit anyway so that wasn't a major issue and gave me some very nice quite roads to ride on.:thumbsup:

The fog did start to lift and the sun peeked through after Oswestry which lifted the mood but couldn't do much for the legs which felt more than usually fatigued meaning that the last 20 miles or so were a bit of a slog. I made it though, so the October century is in the bag with 103.15 miles at 13.2 mph moving average.^_^

DSC0002912.jpg

Climbing up Lyth Hill - I suspect there won't be much of a view today.:whistle:

DSC0002914.jpg

My usual drink stop at the top of Folly Bank

DSC0002915.jpg

Cardington looks pretty regardless of the weather.

DSC0002920.jpg

The ruins of Viroconium are there somewhere

DSC0002921.jpg

Believe it or not, this lane with grass down the middle is actually the B4394 :laugh:

DSC0002922.jpg

Some slightly more recent ruins: Moreton Corbet Castle looks moody in the mist.

DSC0002923.jpg

Ellesmere for a lunch stop

DSC0002927.jpg

Much later and I'm crossing over the River Severn into Wales.

DSC0002928.jpg

Turning into a pleasant afternoon by the time I get to Westbury.

DSC0002930.jpg

Looking across the fields to Lyth Hill. A wee bit better than when I last saw it.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My second ride of the day was with Mrs Dave on the tandem. By the time we got ourselves into gear the sun was just coming out.
We decided to go into town to Aromi for an ice cream, but Jo wanted to know the route first so she knew what was coming. Down Madingley Hill I'd usually stick to the cycle path, but this means a sharp right angle pavement turn at the base of the hill.... I'm not quite sure of the braking capabilities of me and the tandem as yet so we took the road option.

As we were flying down the hill on the road a familiar figure was riding down the cycle path- David, who'd retired from working with me 18 months ago, we flew by "DAAAAAVIIIID!"
He gave us a wave and tried to keep up, but the pavement bend came into play for him!
Into town via the university campus and along Silver Street. Ice cream wise I had stracciatella and Jo had tiramisu, consumed on Kings wall. The town was heaving as its freshers weekend. Worried parents and wet behind the ears teens armed with new kettles. There'll be a few hangovers this coming week. That will be followed by the "I've never cycled before but now I'm a Cambridge student" brigade. More wobbly than me!
Back out of town and along Grange Road, then up Storeys Way where we bumped into David coming the other way! He'd assumed we had gone up the busway, so he had gone to Longstanton looking for us. Last time I'd seen him, back in the summer I had mentioned maybe getting a tandem. He is a total bike addict and was chuffed for us.
Along Huntingdon Road and we had another old lady scalp!
The lights were in our favour for the turn to Girton, the cars were stopped at the crossing and we sailed through, nice!
In Oakington a solo rider came through the lights in front of us.? "DAAAVIIIID!" We yelled. He stopped. "Thought it might be you two" said David who is Jo's boss, so we stopped for another chat with a David.
From Dry Drayton we took the back lanes to Madingley and filled up 2 boxes with blackberries that will make a crumble.
20 miles of fun filled riding. I'm loving this tandem lark!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Damn it was foggy at 6.45am this morning when I looked out of the bedroom window. Oh well.. let's get on with it. The weather report was for a nice sunny day today. Like a couple of mornings on the commute, I expected the fog to clear quite quickly. So out of the door at 7.30am and straight down the A21 heading for Sevenoaks to meet @Trickedem. I live at the top of a hill so the fog wasn't really that bad, but in the dips it was quite thick. Better switch the lights on. Rear one - check, Front one - not check. Balls.. I had forgotten to attach the light. Never mind. the fog will soon clear. Sevenoaks doesn't take long to get to and the fog seemed to be clearing. I turned up at the meeting place and minutes later Tim turned up. Got lights I said? Nope.. he had forgotten his also. Never mind, I said, the fog will soon clear, you stay in front and I'll cover the rear.
It's a fair old drag up to Sevenoaks Knowle, followed by a very nice, long descent down into Tonbridge. Well usually it's nice except I was having trouble with my cycling glasses continually misting up - no doubt to the fog that was soon to disperse.
A few A-roads leading on to B roads and we were soon into the country. Hitting more pockets of fog which meant more of my glasses misting up. I tried peering over the top of the glasses but there's no point - I'm as blind as a bat. And anyway, the fog was soon to clear as we could see the sun trying to peer through the clouds.
With no wind to talk of and a fair flattish route. We were soon rolling into Rye on the south coast. Well it would be the south coast if you could see it. The fog (that was to soon clear) was doing it's best to hide the sea (and the sky and everything else).
A breakfast for Tim and a dinner for me, was had on Camber Sands beach front..and finally... the fog cleared. We could actually see the sea... well if you had your binoculars with you.
031015 1.jpg

Fueled up, it was time for the return ride. Along the coast to Lydd, made all that much better for the wonderful driving that one get's in these here parts :rolleyes::cursing:
Once again, the route was flat, flatter then a flat thing from planet flat. Not surprising seeing as we were traversing the Kent marshes to Appledore. It did mean for a nice and fast ride but both of us started to wish for a hill, any hill, one that goes up, just to change the cadence, work different muscles and get out of the saddle.
The sun was now out and the lovely Kent countryside rolled by and finding ourselves heading through the village of Frittenden it would have been rude not to visit a pub for a swift pint at the lovely named Bell & Jorrocks (Also the village post office).

031015 2.jpg

From Frittenden it was more country lanes, this time a bit more rolling. Through various Kent villages, it didn't take long to get to Plaxtol where we got what we had wished for, some nice and long and some short and steep hills to contend with. At the top of the downs it was a lovely descent back down to Sevenoaks. A cheerio to Tim and I had a further biggish climb up and over the ridge back to home.

So, 119 quick miles for the day, fog assisted..
Octobers qualifying ride for the 100 mile a month challenge done.

031015map.jpg

Lovely day & lovely riding. The legs are feeling it and the bottle of Spitfire is going down very nicely.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just time for a shortish off-road ride this morning. .
The front tyre was looking a bit soft, so I pumped it up before heading out, and it stayed up throughout the loupe so it must have been from lack of use. I'll check it tomorrow just to be sure.
My first stop was at No1 daughters house to drop a food parcel in. The grandkids were there so I played with them for a while before heading off to a local bridleway or two.

DSC_2455.JPG

I gave up on this stretch of Nene riverbank as I was getting lashed by some particularly virulent nettles!
Once over the old packhorse bridge the path was much better though

DSC_2459.JPG
. I did want to head through the ford at Whiston to Brayfield but didn't have the time, sadly.. Still, the ride back up Cogenhoe Hill and across the fields to Ecton was quite pleasant anyway.

DSC_2460.JPG

Half way up the hill are a couple of fairy gates, leading to somewhere magical, I suppose, but I had to be heading home via a more conventional method to get ready for w*rk...
Back home on 11 miles, feeling refreshed and ready for the days labours..

http://www.strava.com/activities/405226310

:smile:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i was up and out and on the pedals before 5.45 am today just in time for all the mist , headed out of the borough on the old A4500 and through Wilby and then left towards the Rugby club 1st climb of the day then a slow descent due to the mist down Hardwater and along till the Grendon turn and carried on up and through Grendon .

Then down toward the lakes and the old Dunkleys site stopped on top of the A45 bridge going to Earls Barton and watched the traffic flowing , and off again up the hill to Earls Barton and the cross roads straight across towards Mears Ashby with a left towards Sywell village .

The village of Sywell was still asleep as i rode through it , decision time at the T junction either left for another 10 miles or right and 4.5 miles and an earlier dive back into bed , guess which way i went ?

Top Bottom