Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Haven't been out on either bike since the Friday before last - that's 8 days, making today my first December ride...however, the forecast for today looked OK(ish), mainly dry, wind down to a sensible low teens (gusting to low 20's), so up early this morning and out just after 8am on the road bike thinking that this would give me the best shot at avoiding the potential rain.

Started out towards Thorner (traffic lights on Coal Road are still not detecting cyclists!!! So I stopped, got off and pushed the bike round :whistle:), Onto Skeltons Lane and the side wind was 'interesting' so I made a mental note to try and keep to roads with hedges along the side.
Down the lumpy bumpy hill to Thorner and out of the village on Milner Lane. lots of bits of tree in the road due to the recent high winds, but otherwise all good.
Remembering the mudfest that is Jewitt Lane, I took a left onto Holme Farm Lane and went through East Rigton, then took a right at the green and enjoyed a very pleasant ride along Compton Lane, before picking up Jewitt lane where it starts to descent into Collingham - and after the muddy farm bit :smile:
In Collingham I took a left onto School Lane, which runs parallel to the A58 and is much quieter. Unfortunately I now had the wind right in my face and it was like putting the brakes on!:bicycle:Persevered to the end, across the A58 by Tesco and then a quick left right and then across a very full River Wharf into Linton.
Through Linton and then a right towards Wetherby, almost getting taking out by a WVM on the roundabout on the A661, but he discovered his brakes were working just in time...:dry:
Through Wetherby and out on Walton Road, then Thorp Arch and the bridge back over the Wharfe which was in full on flood mode, so i stopped for a couple of pics:
My photos show the river this morning, the others are Street View on a 'normal' day.
IMG_20151206_0923462892.jpg
TABP_O_U.jpg
IMG_20151206_092409847_HDR2.jpg
TABP_O_D.jpg

As you can see the river is a bit full (notice the 'missing' weir in the upstream photos)
Back on the bike and up into Boston Spa, then a left and on to Clifford the long way round via Bar Lane past some very flooded fields.
In Clifford I thought I'd have a change and took Old Mill Lane and then Windmill Road(unsuitable for HGVs) towards Bramham.
"What a lovely road", I thought. "Very pleasant, sheltered from the wind so why haven't I ridden this way before?" before I rounded a corner and realised that I had what I'd later discover was the Cat 5 "Windmill Climb" in front of me - straight into a howling headwind... ah well, you live and learn don't you? :heat:
Anyhow, eventually topped the hill and through the fringes of Bramham before picking up NCN R66 for the run down to Aberford via Bramham Crossroads on the delightfully (but inaccurately) named Paradise Way.
This was just a bit exposed to the wind and although I normally ride this section on the road, today I stuck to the separate cycle path well out of the way of any traffic as I was getting buffeted this way and that by the wind.
Past Bramham Crossroads and getting ready for the quick run down to Aberford when the dark cloud that had been looming on the horizon for a few miles arrived and unleashed a torrent of rain. By heck, those rain drops were like tiny daggers - knowing that there was an underpass below the A1(M) I pushed on to try and take shelter.
Into the underpass pursued by the rain, which the wind was now sending horizontally through the tunnel - honestly I was half way through and was still getting hit by rain.:rain:
IMG_20151206_1004251732.jpg

Off the bike and I wrestled with my waterproof jacket in the gale, eventually getting it on while simultaneously stopping the bike getting blown away (seriously!). After a couple of minutes i decided that I might as well press on as all that was happening here was that I was getting cold - I wasn't staying noticeably drier.
Down the hill into Aberford, then a right towards Barwick, back into the headwind again although at least the rain had all but stopped.
As I approached Barwick i was caught up by another cyclist, who pulled alongside for a chat - he was on his way from Tadcaster to meet his brother in Barwick for a ride. We both bemoaned the lack of opportunities for rides recently and agreed it was good to get out, even if we'd both got caught in the recent downpour (him out by Lotherton).
I left him by the New inn to wait for his bro and pushed on up Leeds Road towards Scholes, enjoying the extra workout the headwind was giving me ;)
Past the Coronation Tree and pedaled down the hill before a loop round to home.

06122015.jpg

27.74 miles in 2hrs 2 mins at an average of 13.6mph, so not quite the metric half I'd been thinking about when I set off, but I'd managed to get a ride in and enjoyed most of it. :okay:
Checking MapMyRide, it seems that the auto-pause didn't kick in when I'd stopped to shelter from the rain, so I lost a few minutes there, but I doubt it would have made that much difference in the grand scheme of things with the headwinds being the main thing slowing me down.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Haven't been out on either bike since the Friday before last - that's 8 days, making today my first December ride...however, the forecast for today looked OK(ish), mainly dry, wind down to a sensible low teens (gusting to low 20's), so up early this morning and out just after 8am on the road bike thinking that this would give me the best shot at avoiding the potential rain.

Started out towards Thorner (traffic lights on Coal Road are still not detecting cyclists!!! So I stopped, got off and pushed the bike round :whistle:), Onto Skeltons Lane and the side wind was 'interesting' so I made a mental note to try and keep to roads with hedges along the side.
Down the lumpy bumpy hill to Thorner and out of the village on Milner Lane. lots of bits of tree in the road due to the recent high winds, but otherwise all good.
Remembering the mudfest that is Jewitt Lane, I took a left onto Holme Farm Lane and went through East Rigton, then took a right at the green and enjoyed a very pleasant ride along Compton Lane, before picking up Jewitt lane where it starts to descent into Collingham - and after the muddy farm bit :smile:
In Collingham I took a left onto School Lane, which runs parallel to the A58 and is much quieter. Unfortunately I now had the wind right in my face and it was like putting the brakes on!:bicycle:Persevered to the end, across the A58 by Tesco and then a quick left right and across a very full River Wharf into Linton.
Through Linton and then a right towards Wetherby, almost getting taking out by a WVM on the roundabout on the A661, but he discovered his brakes were working just in time...:dry:
Through Wetherby and out on Walton Road, the Thorp arch and the bridge back over the Wharfe which was in full on flood mode, so i stopped for a couple of pics:
My photos show the river this morning, the others are Street View on a 'normal' day.
View attachment 111974 View attachment 111975 View attachment 111976 View attachment 111977
As you can see the river is a bit full (notice the 'missing' weir in the upstream photos)
Back on the bike and up into Boston Spa, then a left and on to Clifford the long way round via Bar Lane past some very flooded fields.
In Clifford I thought I'd have a change and took Old Mill Lane and then Windmill Road(unsuitable for HGVs) towards Bramham.
"What a lovely road", I thought. "Very pleasant, sheltered from the wind so why haven't I ridden this way before?" before I rounded a corner and realised that I had what I'd later discover was the Cat 5 "Windmill Climb" in front of me - straight into a howling headwind... ah well, you live and learn don't you? :heat:
Anyhow, eventually topped the hill and through the fringes of Bramham before picking up NCN R66 for the run down to Aberford via Bramham Crossroads on the delightfully (but inaccurately) named Paradise Way.
This was just a bit exposed to the wind and although I normally ride this section on the road, today I stuck to the separate cycle path well out of the way of any traffic as I was getting buffeted this way and that by the wind.
Past Bramham Crossroads and getting ready for the quick run down to Aberford when the dark cloud that had been looming on the horizon for a few miles arrived and unleashed a torrent of rain. By heck, those rain drops were like tiny daggers - knowing that there was an underpass below the A1(M) I pushed on to try and take shelter.
Into the underpass pursued by the rain, which the wind was now sending horizontally through the tunnel - honestly I was half way through and was still getting hit by rain.:rain:
View attachment 111979
Off the bike and I wrestled with my waterproof jacket in the gale, eventually getting it on while simultaneously stopping the bike getting blown away (seriously!). After a couple of minutes i decided that I might as well press on as all that was happening here was that I was getting cold - I wasn't staying noticeably drier.
Down the hill into Aberford, then a right towards Barwick, back into the headwind again although at least the rain had all but stopped.
As I approached Barwick i was caught up by another cyclist, who pulled alongside for a chat - he was on his way from Tadcaster to meet his brother in Barwick for a ride. We both bemoaned the lack of opportunities for rides recently and agreed it was good to get out, even if we'd both got caught in the recent downpour (him out by Lotherton).
I left him by the New inn to wait for his bro and pushed on up Leeds Road towards Scholes, enjoying the extra workout the headwind was giving me ;)
Past the Coronation Tree and pedaled down the hill before a loop round to home.

View attachment 111980
27.74 miles in 2hrs 2 mins at an average of 13.6mph, so not quite the metric half I'd been thinking about when I set off, but I'd managed to get a ride in and enjoyed most of it. :okay:
Checking MapMyRide, it seems that the auto-pause didn't kick in when I'd stopped to shelter from the rain, so I lost a few minutes there, but I doubt it would have made that much difference in the grand scheme of things with the headwinds being the main thing slowing me down.
Aren't bridges wonderful places to shelter that photo could have been me on today's ride did exactly the same it started raining 400 MTS from bridge so quick sprint for shelter

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
https://www.strava.com/activities/445493400/segments/10710961841

New 18 mile loop for me today. Seems most of it is a Strava Segment of it's own so, a regular route for the locals. I'm 3rd amongst the ladies. Might pop around there soon, on my roadie, to see if I can improve the time. Roadie being faster than the CX and all.

Took Hubster with me today so an average of 12.7 is not too shoddy.

Looks like we passed each other according to Strava Flyby (Trimley roundabout) - sorry I didn't recognise you from your avatar^_^

Today was the first decent ride out in nearly 3 weeks and it turns out that today's 40 miles was my longest single ride since mid October!. There was no plan, just take the Kona and ride some of the rougher local back roads in any order that took my fancy and keep going until I'd had enough. It didn't help when the first one was closed for drainage work.

Still a bit breezy and cloudy, but it was great just to be out with nowhere in particular to go and no set time or distance limit. Unfortunately it was spoiled by a slow puncture on the way home - the type where you loose more time changing the tube than stopping a couple of times to pump the tyre up again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/445479577

Last edited:

Diggs

Veteran
Another late post I'm afraid but a couple of shots from yesterday's very windy ride. For some reason I'm struggling to upload pics. Route planned to avoid as much open land as we could.
From Billericay, we headed out to Blackmore, then looping round via Margaretting and Fryerning and back home via Mountnessing. Not the longest ride in the world but really glad I resisted the urge to stay tucked up in bed

yj7 open road.jpg

yj3.jpg

route.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With December weather being what it is I wanted to go for the Imperial Century as soon as there was a suitable day and from the forecast, today looked very promising with a strong wind dying down through the day and no rain. That was what it said yesterday - the update this morning looked much less promising with showers thrown in but as I'd already prepared lunch and got up at six specially I decided to go for it anyway.

The route was a small issue due to local flooding but I thought I had it sussed with a loop north through Shrewsbury then out to the east via Atcham and south to Cressage and via various lanes to Ludlow, west to Leintwardine then Bishops Castle and Montgomery, and north via Pontesbury to home.

I was out on the road before 7 and the wind helped for the first section but I felt the full force of it when doubling back to Atcham. This is the first serious ride out with the new light fitted to this bike so I had a couple of stops to play with the adjustment. I do like this Ixon lamp.:okay: The new saddle also had a tweak.

Through Cressage and onwards the ride was pretty uneventful apart from seeing a few other riders out early too. The wind was slightly hard work to ride against and there were a few showers so I got damp.

I took a new (to me) route through Longville and over Wenlock Edge on the road past Wilderhope Manor. This is I think the easiest route over the Edge that I've ridden so far and I'll go this way again. The downside was that the rough road surface coupled with water ingress from the showers earlier meant the lamp bracket for the new light came loose and wouldn't fit properly again. I removed the lamp and decided to sort it out later

After a few new lanes I was back on more familiar roads to Ludlow where I had my elevenses stop and could sort that bracket with a couple of offcuts of inner tube (useful stuff - I always carry a couple of bits).

Next up was the big climb of the day into the Mortimer Forest and over to Leintwardine. After working hard against the headwind earlier I didn't seem to have any energy left in my legs so was very slow here - a situation which didn't improve for the rest of the ride.

After Leintwardine the showers rolled in again and I seemed to still have a headwind despite making the turn northwards. Looking at the Met Office site afterwards I find that the wind had swung round from a south-south-westerly to a north-north-westerly (not forecast) timed just perfectly to always be against me.:cursing:

Struggling on I got the metric century at Bishop's Castle where I also had my lunch stop in the rain by the church. This was the low point of the ride. I came the closest since May to actually abandoning, and looking longingly at the pub across the road from where I was stood I knew if I gave in to temptation and went in for a pint I would not restart the ride.

Lunch helped and I struggled up the hill and onwards to Montgomery wondering as I went why I was so slow on this road with a nice lot of downhill sections (well I know now). I was up to 72 miles by this point and there was no way I could face not finishing having come so far, so stubbornness carried me northwards through Chirbury and Brockton with more frequent stops as I went.

On this stretch I started to have doubts about my route planning. I'd added a good loop at the beginning to make up for not going through flooded Melverley but it was looking like it wasn't going to be enough. By Pontesbury I was certain - I was going to miss the century by five miles :cry:. It was the last thing I felt like doing at this point but it had to be corrected so I headed into Shrewsbury again and down to The Quarry park for a tour along the riverside (only slightly flooded) before heading out of town again for home. This was just enough to do the job and I now have the full set of centuries for 2015.:wahhey:

100.76 miles at a very slow 11.9 mph average and the Raleigh needs another good clean.

Apologies in advance for the photos. My phone camera had the cloudy setting on for most of the ride which has given the pictures a nice rose tint.:wub:

DSC0003019.jpg

At Atcham before dawn - yup, it's still wet here.

DSC0003024.jpg

Getting light now and looking at the Wrekin on the way to Cressage.

DSC0003029.jpg

After Wenlock Edge I passed this fortified manor house on the way to Ludlow.

DSC0003031.jpg

The well known Feathers Hotel in Ludlow

DSC0003040.jpg

Ludlow Castle, the River Teme and Mr Underhills (Michelin starred restaurant)

DSC0003046.jpg

A slightly less glamorous establishment - The Sun Inn in Leintwardine - one of the few remaining examples of a "parlour pub".

DSC0003048.jpg

Rainy and windy. Why am I out in this instead of being in the pub???

DSC0003050.jpg

This one would do.:cheers: The Six Bells at Bishop's Castle and the point where I was sorely tempted to abandon the ride.

DSC0003054.jpg

Temptation resisted, I got to Montgomery.
DSC0003055.jpg

Adding that final extra mileage with a loop through The Quarry...... oooh, look, another pub.:hyper:

Last edited:

Postmanhat

What an ephemeral thing fitness is. Injury, work and weather have meant only four rides in 7 weeks, barely 150 miles. Caught up with me today as the first 20 miles had 2000ft of climbing. Was suffering like a dog, pouring with sweat, but beginning to get the hunger back again. At this point, remembered there was a Sainsburys delivery coming so turned round and coasted home. Lots of wind and rain, but seem to becoming inured to all but the biblical variety. After not seeing anyone last Sunday, was great to see quite a few out today, including three ladies with helmet antlers (profanosaurus entry?). 44 miles/2500ft.

Day off on Tuesday so more miles, hills and suffering - wonderful

gavgav

Guru
With December weather being what it is I wanted to go for the Imperial Century as soon as there was a suitable day and from the forecast, today looked very promising with a strong wind dying down through the day and no rain. That was what it said yesterday - the update this morning looked much less promising with showers thrown in but as I'd already prepared lunch and got up at six specially I decided to go for it anyway.

The route was a small issue due to local flooding but I thought I had it sussed with a loop north through Shrewsbury then out to the west via Atcham and south to Cressage and via various lanes to Ludlow, west to Leintwardine then Bishops Castle and Montgomery, and north via Pontesbury to home.

I was out on the road before 7 and the wind helped for the first section but I felt the full force of it when doubling back to Atcham. This is the first serious ride out with the new light fitted to this bike so I had a couple of stops to play with the adjustment. I do like this Ixon lamp.:okay: The new saddle also had a tweak.

Through Cressage and onwards the ride was pretty uneventful apart from seeing a few other riders out early too. The wind was slightly hard work to ride against and there were a few showers so I got damp.

I took a new (to me) route through Longville and over Wenlock Edge on the road past Wilderhope Manor. This is I think the easiest route over the Edge that I've ridden so far and I'll go this way again. The downside was that the rough road surface coupled with water ingress from the showers earlier meant the lamp bracket for the new light came loose and wouldn't fit properly again. I removed the lamp and decided to sort it out later

After a few new lanes I was back on more familiar roads to Ludlow where I had my elevenses stop and could sort that bracket with a couple of offcuts of inner tube (useful stuff - I always carry a couple of bits).

Next up was the big climb of the day into the Mortimer Forest and over to Leintwardine. After working hard against the headwind earlier I didn't seem to have any energy left in my legs so was very slow here - a situation which didn't improve for the rest of the ride.

After Leintwardine the showers rolled in again and I seemed to still have a headwind despite making the turn northwards. Looking at the Met Office site afterwards I find that the wind had swung round from a south-south-westerly to a north-north-westerly (not forecast) timed just perfectly to always be against me.:cursing:

Struggling on I got the metric century at Bishop's Castle where I also had my lunch stop in the rain by the church. This was the low point of the ride. I came the closest since May to actually abandoning, and looking longingly at the pub across the road from where I was stood I knew if I gave in to temptation and went in for a pint I would not restart the ride.

Lunch helped and I struggled up the hill and onwards to Montgomery wondering as I went why I was so slow on this road with a nice lot of downhill sections (well I know now). I was up to 72 miles by this point and there was no way I could face not finishing having come so far, so stubbornness carried me northwards through Chirbury and Brockton with more frequent stops as I went.

On this stretch I started to have doubts about my route planning. I'd added a good loop at the beginning to make up for not going through flooded Melverley but it was looking like it wasn't going to be enough. By Pontesbury I was certain - I was going to miss the century by five miles :cry:. It was the last thing I felt like doing at this point but it had to be corrected so I headed into Shrewsbury again and down to The Quarry park for a tour along the riverside (only slightly flooded) before heading out of town again for home. This was just enough to do the job and I now have the full set of centuries for 2015.:wahhey:

100.76 miles at a very slow 11.9 mph average and the Raleigh needs another good clean.

Apologies in advance for the photos. My phone camera had the cloudy setting on for most of the ride which has given the pictures a nice rose tint.:wub:

View attachment 112013
At Atcham before dawn - yup, it's still wet here.

View attachment 112014
Getting light now and looking at the Wrekin on the way to Cressage.

View attachment 112015
After Wenlock Edge I passed this fortified manor house on the way to Ludlow.

View attachment 112016
The well known Feathers Hotel in Ludlow

View attachment 112017
Ludlow Castle, the River Teme and Mr Underhills (Michelin starred restaurant)

View attachment 112018
A slightly less glamorous establishment - The Sun Inn in Leintwardine - one of the few remaining examples of a "parlour pub".

View attachment 112019
Rainy and windy. Why am I out in this instead of being in the pub???

View attachment 112020
This one would do.:cheers: The Six Bells at Bishop's Castle and the point where I was sorely tempted to abandon the ride.

View attachment 112021
Temptation resisted, I got to Montgomery. View attachment 112022
Adding that final extra mileage with a loop through The Quarry...... oooh, look, another pub.:hyper:
:notworthy: Fair play to you for battling in that weather. If it was anything like the torrents that came down in Town at 1pm and forced me to abandon my ride then you deserve a medal!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Rickshaw Phil -Fantastic!!!

Couple of rides to report.

Firstly went out with the better half yesterday after chickening out of Saturdays club ride(although to be fair there was some stuff I had to do as well:whistle:).

Only a short one as she hadn't been out for a while and unfortunately she had her first stuck in pedals fall;we were pondering wich turning to make(ie longer or shorter) and she had slowed down enough that the wind pushed her sideways so down she went in to the verge(no I didn't laugh honest).

Picked her and the bike up and after a bit of lever re-positioning we went off again via the short route,her bike was a bit glitchy changing up so we made slowish progress until we caught the tail wind and turned for home.

Caught a glimpse of the Sunday club run in the distance and one of it's group came past us(saw it was Alan but don't think he recognised me) but the rest were long gone making the most of the tail wind.

Got home and spent a few hours setting up the rear mech and had to give the hanger a bit of a tweak to get it to shift ok.

https://www.strava.com/activities/445344923

Today was another A10 commute but pleased with keeping a good tempo especially after tweaking my back at the week-end;hard work gardening^_^.

Had to watch it on the last bit in as the batteries in the front lights were going down;enough juice left though to get me to Cambridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/445842156

That's 8,999.2 kms for the year now:smile:,if this weather holds maybe the 10,000k for the year might still be on:bicycle:.

Old jon

Guru
Thirty two miles in easy weather today sings rather small after @Rickshaw Phil and his epic ride. Well done that man indeed.
It was misty this morning, but not cold. Mist means no or little wind around here so off I went, Wetherby by the scenic route, well, once I have passed the Ring Road it sort of becomes scenic, in that there are fields each side of the road, with occasional large houses, and animals destined for dinner tables . . .

Usual route to Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road, St Peter's Street ( all yuck ) Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock, the ( still a slog ) Boot Hill to the pub of that name and turn left to Shadwell, left along the High Street to Slaid Hill then right to Wike Ridge Road. Wike itself, East Keswick, a slice of Collingham, Linton and Wetherby. Did not stop, just back on the A58, stopped at a layby just the Leeds side of Collingham to eat a bit and then the mist lifted. Blue skies !!
Spoilt I am. Other stuff to do, so off I pedalled home like a good lad.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Thirty two miles in easy weather today sings rather small after @Rickshaw Phil and his epic ride. Well done that man indeed.
It was misty this morning, but not cold. Mist means no or little wind around here so off I went, Wetherby by the scenic route, well, once I have passed the Ring Road it sort of becomes scenic, in that there are fields each side of the road, with occasional large houses, and animals destined for dinner tables . . .

Usual route to Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road, St Peter's Street ( all yuck ) Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock, the ( still a slog ) Boot Hill to the pub of that name and turn left to Shadwell, left along the High Street to Slaid Hill then right to Wike Ridge Road. Wike itself, East Keswick, a slice of Collingham, Linton and Wetherby. Did not stop, just back on the A58, stopped at a layby just the Leeds side of Collingham to eat a bit and then the mist lifted. Blue skies !!
Spoilt I am. Other stuff to do, so off I pedalled home like a good lad.
Can I be the latest to report a close encounter of the @Old jon kind? Saw you at the lights by Costco. Recognised you from your profile picture and the bike. I was the gormless one in the ASL wearing a red jersey and riding a Cannondale. I was on my way to work. A belated :hello:.

Old jon

Guru
Can I be the latest to report a close encounter of the @Old jon kind? Saw you at the lights by Costco. Recognised you from your profile picture and the bike. I was the gormless one in the ASL wearing a red jersey and riding a Cannondale. I was on my way to work. A belated :hello:.

An even more belated "Hiya !" and thank you too. I remember seeing a cyclist, I think in the nearside lane. Which would make sense, I think you work on Thwaite Gate or thereabouts. By 'eck, just found out how to do this :hello:
Learnt something, thank you.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Popped over to the hospital to visit Dad.

6yr old Nephew took him a cuddly bear to look after yesterday, which has made the nurses smile :laugh:, but the roads (or rather the only roads open) are total gridlock. Why the hell are so many trying to drive through the centre??

Felt like a proper ninja warrior carving past the endless lines of cars going nowhere:training::boxing:

https://www.strava.com/activities/446057559

Top Bottom