Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OK, three days late but I had a bit of trouble being motivated.

Second ride of the year, what is becoming my standard ride with the hill challenge about halfway round. I recently discovered a friend rides the hill in the opposite direction.

This is the point at which I join the canal, after a short ride from my home. All mod cons here and the surface isn't bad.

1.JPG

Ah, the wide open spaces. this part has vehicular access, and deep puddles. It's quite fun to ride along because you get to swerve around the puddles. The surface is pretty bad though. Very occasionally I've encountered a car along here. To the left are the old, disused, watercress beds. It really was a pleasant day, although there was a bit of ice on the puddles to crunch through.

2.JPG

The swing bridge from the other side. I don't often see it opened but judging by the number of boats on the canal it must happen.

3.JPG

So last time I'd ridden this way the road had been flooded, not here but nearby, so I thought I'd check so I could change my route if it still was. It wasn't and on my way back to the canal I took some photos from a different angle.

4.JPG

From a distance I could see something sitting on top of the lock gate but couldn't work out what it was. Anyone lost a trainer?

5.JPG

And I thought, I'm sure the name of this lock will amuse the denizens of CC, so here it is.

6.JPG

Well it was muddy in parts, with ice on the puddles, as you can see.

7.JPG

Just about to go for my hill climb and, since I was trying for some different photos, this view attracted my attention.

8.JPG

Moderately pleased with myself on the climb, I got to 51°45.673N 0°31.915"W and this time recorded it on the Garmin. I am not, however, fit and there was a fair bit of walking involved. It depends on the weather when I'll try again. With my OH it's a nono, she doesn't do hills.

And of course, a benefit of the climb is the views.

9.JPG

Continuing the them of different angles, the Fishery Inn from the other side.

10.JPG

Hopefully the pictures of pubs have satisfied certain persons.

10.6 miles max 18 avg 6.2 mph. Year to date, 14.1 miles, Target 400 miles.

I'll be glad when the mud dries, it'll save brushing the bike down.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Stevec047 hope the boy mends soon!

https://www.strava.com/activities/493338938

A Skyride social today. One of my more friendly routes. I did have 5 others signed up, but they all welched, except for one guy who I've had along before. Unfortunately he hit a raised kerb and fell off his bike, he's not badly damaged fortunately, but he did damage his thumb a bit, so had to bail at Winchester, and got a train back to Southampton. Oh well, just me left at the end then.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Weather was nice though:thumbsup:.

john59

Guru
The sun was shining so I had to make the most of the morning/early afternoon. So I set off for Mickle Trafford, looking out for any icy patches, the average ride temp was 3c.

The start of the Greenway, Mickle Trafford.
20160214_113050.jpg

Bridge over Welsh Road
20160214_120140.jpg

Boardwalk Across Burton Point Marshes
20160214_121811.jpg

Panorama
20160214_121811-PANO.jpg

71 km covered.
https://www.strava.com/activities/493295132

Attachments

• 20160214_121811.jpg
    20160214_121811.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm running a Manchester - Llandudno CC ride on April 23 (go and have a look at the rides subforum). There is a 20 mile stretch I've not ridden before so, in the spirit of being a good organiser, I'm obliged to ride it at least once before the big day.

Trouble is this 20 mile stretch is 65 miles from Glossop so it takes a fair old day out to do it. The route is E to W so it makes sense to wait for a nice Easterly, make a day of it and then train back home. Yesterday was the day. It was bloomin' cold, 2 degrees on average but it was dry and there was a tailwind the whole way

So, get togged up, porridge eaten and I was out by 0830. Through Marple, Wilmslow, Knutsford, Great Budworth.....no problems, bowling along at about 17mph avg. Stopped in Weaverham for a cuppa. I'd had a huge bowl of porridge so I wasn't ready to eat despite being 35 miles in. Around the top of Chester and stopped for lunch at the 55 mile mark. Cheese on Toast, Pot of tea, Scone with cream and jam. The problem with the stops is how freezing it feels for the first 10 minutes after setting off again.

Along the A548 through Connah's Quay then off left and up we go. 20 or so hilly, lumpy miles as an alternative to 15 flat but boring and busy miles on the A548 to Prestatyn. Got to Prestatyn, official end of the ride and got my train tickets home. But it was only 1445 and my train wasn't until 1615 so I went for a ride on the seafront. It was.....bracing

20160213_145846.jpg

You can just about make out the Little Orme at Llandudno in the far distance

Up and down the seafront then finally back to Prestatyn. I was at 99 miles by then so pottered around the town and even Tesco car park to just tick over to the Imperial Century. Nice warm train home. Massive Chinese, couple of beers, bed

https://www.strava.com/activities/492742281

Stevec047

Über Member
@Stevec047 hope the boy mends soon!
Nothing wrong with him in the end head wise but they decided that they wanted to check him over for aliments that we would never of taken him in for one of which was an ear infection he was just getting over. Good old NHS stretched to the max but having to tick all the boxes. Really feel for them over worked and underpaid.

Osprey

Guru
Yesterdays ride, 9.30am start, 4 degrees, and an unusual north easterly direction wind around 18mph made it difficult to warm up. In fact all the outward leg of the route out was either into the wind or with a side head wind. Throw in a 15% and 20% hill and it was all pretty energy sapping. The planned route was to follow the river Loughor from the estuary up through the Amman Valley. I haven't ridden this way for years but despite the weather I really enjoyed it plus there is plenty of scope for extending the ride or making it into a hilly loop when the warmer weather comes. The return leg home was great with the tail wind and back in plenty of time to watch the rugby internationals. ( ... and Wales won but made a bit of a meal of it.). Really enjoyed the ride and the fitness is coming. A 32 miler with 1500ft of climbing.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-14_14-31-23.png
    upload_2016-2-14_14-31-23.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20160213_110216.jpg
    IMG_20160213_110216.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 55
    IMG_20160213_110216.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20160213_110918.jpg
    IMG_20160213_110918.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 55
    IMG_20160213_110216.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 59

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today was my first opportunity to get the February Metric Century in so I was up and about early and on the road shortly before 8. It was frosty when I set out but felt even colder in the bitterly cold northerly wind so that I could feel the chill even through several layers.:cold::cold:

Not wanting to be out in this longer than needed I went for an easy route this time and headed out of town through Montford Bridge and up to Great Ness then north west through Pentre, Kinnerley and Knockin to Oswestry. This last bit was quite a slog as it's slightly uphill to Oswestry and the wind was against me.

After a break by the hill fort (where my hands got quite chilled in the short time the gloves were off to eat a sandwich) I headed for Gobowen then along the NCN route to Ellesmere. Here I decided to vary my route as I've been this way so often lately and headed past Whitemere and Colemere to Lyneal, then along the lanes to Loppington and onto new ground for me to Noneley and Tilley where I missed a turn and ended up on the outskirts of Wem which I'd intended to bypass.:whistle: This seemed like a good point to have another food stop so I had my lunch with a view of a plant hire comany, a petrol station and a railway embankment. Not where I'd have chosen ideally but it had the great advantage of the embankment giving good shelter from the wind.:okay:

Feeling refreshed, it was onwards to Shawbury with a tail wind. It didn't seem to give much assistance at first but the speed gradually built as I went along this road. I had a quick photo stop at Moreton Corbet Castle then carried on enjoying the easy cruising to Roden, Rodington Heath, Upton Magna and Atcham.

Like @gavgav I used Chilton Farm Lane which is still officially closed after the recent flooding but is almost clear now so didn't present a problem.

I could feel the miles in the legs on the three little climbs on the way to Condover, then turned into the wind again for the last bit which dropped the speed back down.

Quite a few hardy cyclists out and about today which was good to see.

69.06 miles for the trip at 13.2 mph average - very pleased with this as I was using the knockabout bike ^_^

DSC0003187.jpg

Looking towards the Breiddens and the flood plain at Melverley. I would have gone that way but the area has been flooded for much for the last three months.:ohmy:

DSC0003189.jpg

Just outside Knockin.

DSC0003190.jpg

Quiet by The Mere at Ellesmere.

DSC0003192.jpg

In honour of the day I had to go this way.:laugh:

DSC0003194.jpg

Some activity on the canal at Ellesmere

DSC0003196.jpg

Colemere. Nobody from the club out sailing today..... come to think of it there has never been anyone sailing whenever I've visited the place.:scratch:

DSC0003197.jpg

Loppington.

DSC0003201.jpg

Moreton Corbet Castle.

Mrs M

Guru
So after not getting home until 3.30am this morning as littlest boy decided getting ready for bed last night he would try out for the GB Olympic gymnast team and fall straight onto the back of his head so a trip to A&E was in order.

Needless to say I wasn't really feeling the idea of jumping on the bike but having looked out the window and saw beautiful sunshine I decided to jump on the bike.

A nice simple 9.2 miles starting off from Sible Hedingham up towards Halstead no goals in mind just to put some more miles on the bike and feel better.

So heading out of Sible Heading basically you have no choice but to climb a hill or as some of you more hardy cyclists may say a very slight incline. Needless to say the lack of sleep and nutrition meant this was hard work but I persisted with my chosen route knowing there were still a fair few hills to contend with. After a short break just before entering Halstead sat on a bench watching the world go by I jumped back on and headed for the downhill stretch of Halstead highs tree which was great fun as hardly any traffic. I stopped of at the petrol station to refuel with my caffeine drink (I know it's not good but it helps and the last thing I can think of drinking is a hot cup of coffee mid ride) and a flapjack.

Bearing in mind I am fully kitted up and walking in sounding like a tap dancer due to the clipless pedals and cleats now fitted to the base of my shoes the assistant asked what pump number. Looking at her in a very confused lack of sleep way the sarcastic side got the better of me and I just held up said caffeine drink and flapjack and stated this is the only fuel I need much to the delight of the lady and guy just behind me in the cue.

Refuelled with super unleaded I hit the climb up toward Gosfield and the long sweeping downhill section which I hit a staggering 37mph - it's amazing what a new track pump and the correct pressures 110psi can do if not a little sketchy in places.

The final slog was the long ride from Gosfield to headingham which seems to be a bit of an issue for me as I just can't increase my overall speed down here but practice makes perfect as they say. One last steep descent into Hedingham and then the slow grind back to home.

Wasn't really feeling it today but feel great I got out and put another 9 miles under the belt. That's over 100 miles since October when I first started riding.

No pics today hands were too cold and didn't want to look at the phone and see the strava app running - but increase my average speed up to 9.7 from the 8.3 I have been running at since October so pleased with that.

Check out my 9.2 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/493345986
Aw, hope wee chap is ok :B).

13 rider

Guru
Today was my first opportunity to get the February Metric Century in so I was up and about early and on the road shortly before 8. It was frosty when I set out but felt even colder in the bitterly cold northerly wind so that I could feel the chill even through several layers.:cold::cold:

Not wanting to be out in this longer than needed I went for an easy route this time and headed out of town through Montford Bridge and up to Great Ness then north west through Pentre, Kinnerley and Knockin to Oswestry. This last bit was quite a slog as it's slightly uphill to Oswestry and the wind was against me.

After a break by the hill fort (where my hands got quite chilled in the short time the gloves were off to eat a sandwich) I headed for Gobowen then along the NCN route to Ellesmere. Here I decided to vary my route as I've been this way so often lately and headed past Whitemere and Colemere to Lyneal, then along the lanes to Loppington and onto new ground for me to Noneley and Tilley where I missed a turn and ended up on the outskirts of Wem which I'd intended to bypass.:whistle: This seemed like a good point to have another food stop so I had my lunch with a view of a plant hire comany, a petrol station and a railway embankment. Not where I'd have chosen ideally but it had the great advantage of the embankment giving good shelter from the wind.:okay:

Feeling refreshed, it was onwards to Shawbury with a tail wind. It didn't seem to give much assistance at first but the speed gradually built as I went along this road. I has a quick photo stop at Moreton Corbet Castle then carried on enjoying the easy cruising to Roden, Rodington Heath, Upton Magna and Atcham.

Like @gavgav I used Chilton Farm Lane which is still officially closed after the flooding but is almost clear so didn't present a problem.

I could feel the miles in the legs on the three little climbs on the way to Condover, then turned into the wind again for the last bit which dropped the speed back down.

Quite a few hardy cyclists out and about today which was good to see.

69.06 miles for the trip at 13.2 mph average - very pleased with this as I was using the knockabout bike ^_^

View attachment 118997
Looking towards the Breiddens and the flood plain at Melverley. I would have gone that way but the area has been flooded for much for the last three months.:ohmy:

View attachment 118998
Just outside Knockin.

View attachment 118999
Quiet by The Mere at Ellesmere.

View attachment 119000
In honour of the day I had to go this way.:laugh:

View attachment 119001
Some activity on the canal at Ellesmere

View attachment 119002
Colemere. Nobody from the club out sailing today..... come to think of it there has never been anyone sailing whenever I've visited the place.:scratch:

View attachment 119003
Loppington.

View attachment 119004
Moreton Corbet Castle.
Did you visit the shop in Knockin :rolleyes: you know the one :okay:
It made me smile when I drove though it last easter

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A very nice, if not a little bit chilly, Sunday London Cycle Chat ride today.
67 pootling miles in the glorious company of rb58 , Trickedem , ttcycle , Mr Td1nka, arallsopp , RoubaixCube (Welcome to the Sunday London rides dear chap), martint235 , Mice and topcat1 .

The Olympic Velodrome
20160214_122824 (2).jpg

Fatboy's Diner, Trinity Wharf.
20160214_104109 (2).jpg

Thames towards the Docklands
20160214_103711 (2).jpg

The London Cable Car over the Thames
20160214_103653 (2).jpg

The Dome
20160214_103642 (2).jpg

The Tower of London and Tower Bridge
20160214_101036 (2).jpg

The Cavalry have arrived.
20160214_094016 (2).jpg

A group of Cycle Chatters
20160214_093954 (2).jpg

Cycle Chatters.
20160214_093720 (2).jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Very nice ride today, 2nd time out with cycling buddy, really enjoying riding with company. Started at Thorpe Park before heading out towards Foxhills via St Annes Hill. We must have been just in front of your HDW group @Stonechat , can't get Strava Flyby to work here ATM but will look later. On into Chobham, and then to Sunningdale where we stopped for coffee in 'The Tablespoon'. Very busy with people having breakfast so took a while to get served, but the coffee was ok. Felt lots colder when we got back on the bikes, and headed over the A30 then around the back of Sunningdale, bottom end of Ascot and into WGP via Ascot Gate. Park got busy as we came round the Copper Horse, and a herd of deer, all young males, got spooked by some fool thinking walking into the middle of them was a good idea. Set them into a charge across the road in front of us, silly man...
Parted company after a thoroughly enjoyable 27 miles, and I headed home via Egham to make the 2nd metric half of the month.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sunday is fun day, so it was out on the hybrid this morning for a leg turner down to Garforth and back, mainly off road.
I spent a chunk of yesterday afternoon setting my new Garmin 810 up with maps and had planned todays bike ride in as a course. However, I managed to stop recording the ride shortly after leaving home and only noticed when I was about a mile away on the way back...:rolleyes: D'oh!
Fortunately I'd started Map My Ride on my phone out of habit.
Out to Cross Gates, then up to Austhorpe and Barrowby Lane to Thorp Park. Through there on NCN R66 and it was feeling a bit like hard work - probably due to long (for me) rides on the road bike on Friday and Saturday, but the sun was out, and I'd got the layering just about right so I plodded on.
Up onto the bridleway and the ascent to the motorway bridge, then the descent on the other side through the woods towards Garforth.
Stopped for a drink and a couple of photos:
Panorama 5.JPG
Panorama 1.JPG

IMG_20160214_095717633.jpg

Back in the saddle as two 'proper' MTB'ers flew past, possibly explaining why the pedestrian I met a few hundred yards further on nearly jumped out of his skin when I rang my bell to warn him of my approach.
Down the hill through the puddles :okay: onto the resumption of Barrowby Lane, where some thoughtful moton had parked their car right in the middle of the way off the bridleway...
Up the incline to Garforth, then left under the railway bridge and left again onto Nanny Goat Lane where I stopped to let a couple of young ladies past walking a very skittish horse.:angel: Up the hill to the stables and back onto the (very muddy) bridleway on the run down to the tunnel under the M1.
Out the other side and down to the farm, again feeling a bit slow. Onto Manston Lane, then through Pendas Fields and up to home where I noticed that the back tyre looked a bit under inflated - maybe that was why it felt slow...? I've pumped it up and it seems to be holding pressure, so we'll see how that goes.:pump:

Quick drink then back out on the road bike to take it to the shop for fixing after yesterdays shenanigans.
Down the truly horrid £29 million Cycle Super Highway, which is still being used as car parking outside the shops on Barwick Road, unsurprisingly.
On to the shop and left the bike with them, probably ready for Tuesday.
I had initially thought I'd walk back up home, but there is a bus stop right outside and one was due so I got that :whistle: although after being charged the equivalent of the national debt of a small African country to travel a mile and a half I think it might be the last bus ride I have for a while. I did feel slightly over dressed in my cycling gear, but what can you do? :laugh:

So, in total 11.23 miles in 1hr 1min at an average of 11.1mph with 375ft climbed. That'll do me for a Sunday morning.:okay:
14022016.jpg

Top Bottom