Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Arranged to meet with my occasional cycling buddy Ian for a ride today. Looking at the forecast we figured on heading out at 9 and back by 11 when the rain was due. The forecast was correct, and at 9 o'clock it wasn't raining. As we headed into Staines it became apparent that we had a bit of a headwind, it also started raining:rain:
From Staines it was a slog through Wraysbury, Horton and Datchet, where it stopped raining and there was even a hint of sunshine. From there it was into Eton don't you know, and new territory as I figured we'd go to the Olympic rowing lake at Dorney. Very nice to pedal alongside the lake, even if it did start raining again in earnest. Watched a bit of the triathlon which was on as we cycled along, they seemed to be going a bit quicker than us...
The plan had been a coffee stop at the café which I'm told was around there somewhere, but given we were both wet and didn't want to get cold we continued on, returning to Eton High Street before crossing the Thames into Windsor.
Up past the Castle, I had to stop for a photo while Ian continued on to the top. Is it a boat, or a bus? Nope, it's a Duck!
16 April 2016 Windsor Duck.jpg

Just missed the changing of the guard, and had a nice pedal up to Rangers Gate, putting us into WGP. From there it's familiar territory home through the Park, Virginia Water and Lyne. By the time we got back to Ians door he'd done 30miles, and onarrival home I'd done 35.6 miles, longest for a long time.
Fantastic ride even of the weather wasn't in our favour, and rather pleasingly means I've completed 50% of my annual mileage target already.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
7 out today including little me and Peter T. making a return after a 3 year layoff. It was cold today with a light dusting of snow on the hills and lots of water on the roads from last night's deluge. As we rode the sun took charge but the north wind kept the temps down a tad.

The call was Ledbury on the standard route out. All good although Rich began to tire as the ride progressed. Peter's return was going well. Jules seems to be on form at the moment. He's got his mojo back for sure. DeLilah's didn't have enough room for 7 so we ended up in Mrs Muffin's where the courtyard was sheltered and the sun shone so sitting out was indeed a pleasure.

Some wanted a shorter route back whilst others were up for a few more miles. So 4 of us headed off before the Wyche Cutting climb. Jules suggested we visit a friend's new house build in Cradley. Merv was actually there when we rolled up so we got the guided tour. Still lots of work to do but the layout was enough to reveal that this house would be superb when finished. Bit of a Kevin McLeod moment I suppose. We carried on the northern route around the Hills to notch up a good few (50) miles for a Saturday crew outing.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Metric century day today. I know there is the forum ride to Llandudno coming up which will cover this and more but I wanted something in the bank just in case so planned to get out today.

Things didn't start off quite as planned, getting up to see a covering of snow outside :blink: followed by the gritter going round (right, not taking the Raleigh out in that) so I procrastinated for a bit and had sort of resigned myself to doing it tomorrow instead. However, by 9am the snow had all but gone and although the wind was still pretty cold there was lovely :sun: so I threw my stuff together, grabbed the knockabout bike and went out anyway.

With a northerly wind I wanted to ride against that first then have it helping on the way back so I was heading to Baschurch and Ellesmere, then across to Gobowen and Oswestry before heading south to Melverley, Westbury and back home.

The direct route to the northwest of Shrewsbury isn't that interesting so I took a more scenic way via The Quarry and along the riverside before rejoining the road through Montford Bridge to Baschurch. I was quite slow against the wind and the speedo was only showing an average of 12.2 mph by the time I got to Ellesmere where there was a pause for a bite to eat.

Turning west down the lanes to Gobowen the wind wasn't a problem any more but an unexpected road closure made up for that :rolleyes:. Shropshire Council usually ensure there is cycle access through roadworks but this being quite a narrow lane and potentially a long way to come back to go round I decided to take a detour and rode some new-to-me lanes through Ebnal and Rhewl where I met a terribly indecisive driver who held me up while they decided "left or right?". I then took the wrong exit at the island in the centre of Gobowen and ended up going a longer way round town than intended.:laugh:

Reaching Oswestry I had my lunch in my usual spot by the ancient hill fort (enjoy it while it lasts folks - if the developers get their way it'll have houses built right up to the foot of it. :sad:)

This was the bit I'd been waiting for - wind behind me and slightly downhill for the next five miles. A friendly BMW driver let me out into traffic in the centre of Oswestry then after negotiating slow traffic and a set of lights I was off at quite a respectable speed and leaving town at around 27mph. On the way through Maesbury Marsh the speed didn't drop below 20 then after the short climb up Woolston Bank it settled to around 15-16mph the rest of the way to Melverley. The big climb of the day between Prince's Oak and Halfway House didn't seem too bad with a little wind assistance.

Just outside Yockleton I passed a group of riders dealing with a snapped chain. I did ask if they were okay and they were so I pressed on again. The rest of the way was quite pleasant and as I had enough mileage in hand I finished by climbing over Lyth Hill rather than going to Condover as initially planned.

63.8 miles for the day at 13.2 mph average. Not as quick as some of you but I'm quite pleased with that as it was the knockabout bike.:okay:

DSC0003328.jpg

Cold but nice down in The Quarry. Looking at Shrewsbury School up on the ridge.

DSC0003331.jpg

Baschurch is still sleepy this morning.

DSC0003333.jpg

En-route to Ellesmere......

DSC0003336.jpg

....Which also isn't overly busy today.

DSC0003337.jpg

On the way to Gobowen this tree caught my eye as it's in full leaf when most of its neighbours are still quite bare.

DSC0003338.jpg

Drat! Wasn't expecting that! I decided to explore a bit.

DSC0003339.jpg

Lunch stop at the foot of Oswestry Hill Fort.

DSC0003340.jpg

Crossing the Severn into Wales for a short stretch.

DSC0003341.jpg

I had to stop and take a phone call otherwise I'd have just scooted past some early Mayflower (common Hawthorn) blossom.

DSC0003342.jpg

Not far from home now and a nice view of the Stretton Hills.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I got the road bike down from the wall where it had been hanging since the 31st January to give it a fettle but ended up giving a thorough clean and lube, then I did some cleat adjusting on some new shoes that I have had for about three years but never worn, then I went for a test ride round the village a couple of times, my god that bike flies compared the Hybrid, the Shopper and the MTB, light as a feather! If it's dry tomorrow I'll go for a proper ride on it.

No photos of the ride today so here's a photo of Nettiethedog after having finished off my cup of tea.
image.jpeg

Simple plan - chuck the bike into the back of the car, take my daughter to her trampolining lesson and go for a nice ride in the couple of hours I had to fill. Pity the weather did not want to play ball. Expected the rain, put up with the wind, it is cycling after all ... but sleet ? That's not fair ! Cut short the ride by 30 mins when I lost feeling in my toes. The upside was that I found a nice loop around the edge of Northampton and felt good on the bike, even the short sharp climbs that are typical of the area. 56 mile Spires and Squires in a couple of weeks. I think I've got the legs but not expecting an impressive time.

Have to echo the comments about the state of the roads. Pretty appalling for most of the ride, could not take your eye of the road for a second.
Unlucky mate at least you had good intentions....bloody weather.

A better day than forecast so out with the bike . Up through Newtown Linford and left up Ulverscoft lane and left up Polly Botts lane my favourite climb Left at the crossroads and into the rear of Markfield and round the into Thornton down past the reservoir and back to Markfield .On the downhill to Newtown I caught up a tractor on a bend so had to slow up before he turned off. In Newtown I went right to Groby instead of the short way home . Into Groby and back into Anstey and Home 16.9 miles done in an hour and 3 mins .Got home with cold feet was a bit chilly than expected .First ride I can remember not seeing another rider where is everyone ?
Shivering ?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I got out the Trek 600 and gave it a test ride, after changing from the Look clip in pedals to flats. This bike is a complete time capsule of 1985, right down to the hand built wheels with DT Swiss spokes as Trek supplied from the factory. A great machine. It still has a Stronglight Hinault headset, and I think the Look pedals were a period addition. Tricolor Shimano 600, Reynolds 531.I haven't fired it up yet, but this bicycle also came with a Cateye Micro bike computer complete with cadence sensor. I plied my usual testing and short range run for 7 miles to see about performance, and I had great weather for it today, highs around 80F and quite a few people on the road, including a fellow on a recumbent tricycle who had about 16 miles to go, and a few riders around I've seen before. Good to see everyone out and enjoying cycling in the (finally) warm weather.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I got out the Trek 600 and gave it a test ride, after changing from the Look clip in pedals to flats. This bike is a complete time capsule of 1985, right down to the hand built wheels with DT Swiss spokes as Trek supplied from the factory. A great machine. It still has a Stronglight Hinault headset, and I think the Look pedals were a period addition. Tricolor Shimano 600, Reynolds 531.I haven't fired it up yet, but this bicycle also came with a Cateye Micro bike computer complete with cadence sensor. I plied my usual testing and short range run for 7 miles to see about performance, and I had great weather for it today, highs around 80F and quite a few people on the road, including a fellow on a recumbent tricycle who had about 16 miles to go, and a few riders around I've seen before. Good to see everyone out and enjoying cycling in the (finally) warm weather.

Any chance of pictures of the Trek?

gavgav

Guru
A lovely sunny morning, but still cold, so layers needed for a short ride before my first cricket match of the season, this afternoon.

Headed out on a familiar road, but in a direction I rarely travel it in (because it's uphill most of the way ^_^) through Betton, Cantlop, Pitchford and as far as Acton Burnell, where I turned off and passed Concord College.

I enjoyed the fast descent towards Evenwood and then there is a short steep climb onto Coundmoor, before a flatter section on one of the straightest roads there is.

Saw loads of cyclists in this section, including a couple of group rides with about 20 to 30 riders in, all passing pleasantries and simply enjoying being out in the lovely sun.

I then branched off through Harnage and down to Cound, before the hilly section back home, via Eaton Mascott and Berrington.

Cows enjoying the sun at Eaton Mascott
image.jpeg

A nice 18.1 miles :okay:

Top Bottom