Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
I tried to do a metric half century yesterday and gave up on 29.8 mile. I should have made sure of the distance earlier in the ride rather than adding loops nearer home when I was getting slower, wetter and tired.
It seems that too much rain is much worse than too much wind as I did less miles in June than May but more rides. Only one long ride in the whole month.
I set off before the rain and mostly got drizzled on until I was nearer home. I was so glad to get out for a bike ride and still enjoy the A580 East Lancs Road cycle path though I have lots of variations, loops and extensions to choose from now. I managed to chase a few commuters who'd overtaken me, but I couldn't keep up with any of them for long.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just back from a nice early 28 miles on the Pollard, took the following route up the mad mile and headed into the wind towards Sywell,Holcot,Scaldwell,Lamport .

WP_20160702_001.jpg

Foxwell was next followed by Loddington ,Broughton,Pytchley , Orlingbury and home against the wind.

WP_20160702_002.jpg

Nice ride surprised by the wind but still kept a good average up so pleased really.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Like @biggs682 I got out early and boy was it windy. One of those winds were it didn't matter the direction you were heading, it was in your face.

Despite that had one of my fastest rides in a while, a tad over 32 miles at 17.8mph. Sun was shining but was a bit chilly in the shade and a fair few other cyclists out already as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/627181239

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Last nights ride- a late one out on the fen around Wicken to look for glow worms. As I got my bike out of the shed, a barn owl flew over the field behind and my wife said - you see, you don't need to go to
Wicken to see wildlife!

This was my second night ride to see glow worms of the 'summer'. Last time I saw none on a cold wet night. Last night was just cold, so I had high hopes.

I knew it would be a good night when I saw one right away, and in a new location too. Then one right in the middle of the path (they do that quite a bit) that I lifted gently into the grass a foot or so away.
image.jpeg

Further along, they were more numerous, little pin pricks of green light all along the track. Magical.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

All slightly blurry sadly but you get the drift. Saw 41 glow worms in total. A terrific ride of 15.4 miles. Switched the lights off on the way home and rode by starlight alone until I got to the road. Home on the stroke of midnight - a happy glow worm spotter.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
On a trip to Hong Kong. Not taken any exercise in several days and Saturday was free so I decided to take a ferry out to Lantau (one of the islands) and hire a bike and have a spin.

The favourite way to cook fish here in HK is steamed. That is exactly how I felt on the ride too. It was about 32 degrees and extremely humid.

First is to take the Star Ferry (for the princely sum of about 20p) across the Bay to Hong Kong Island. Then the ferry (the fast one is all of £2) to Lantau. takes about 45 minutes all in. Lantau is almost traffic free and all the locals ride proper BSOs. I managed to find a guy renting decent MTBs. £3.50 for the day. No way was I going to manage the day, I was dripping sweat just walking off the ferry.

Here's the mean machine. It isn't the fanciest of bikes but it was fine for a bit of fun. In the far distance, just visible, is Hong Kong itself
20160702_131158 (002).jpg

One of the most pleasant rides you can do is go into the hills behind the village to the waterfall. Probably about 300ft of ascent to get to it so I was boiling when I arrived. It said no swimming but I regard that as advisory. Down to the shorts and in I went. My god, it was heaven!

Here I am before I went in

20160702_123634 (002).jpg

Finally back to the village and the customary lunch shot. Not coffee and cake this time though

20160702_133102 (002).jpg

Clams with chilli, fried vegetables with garlic, boiled rice. And a cold beer

Completely stupid idea to go cycling in that heat but it was a laugh, I got out and I enjoyed myself

Club ride today so went with the easy group for a ride out to Old Hurst via Earith to Johnsons tea rooms for the stop.

After the strong wind the espresso and lemon drizzle cake was welcome before off back with now a nice tailwind to push us along.

Decided that I was feeling better than I thought I would(have had a bit of a head cold)and needing to get back I did the last stretch solo at my usual pace.

https://www.strava.com/activities/627384934

So that's 314km for the week(with a bit more possibly tomorrow with the better half)and now 5,700 for the year;slowly catching up for the 12,000 yearly total goal.

L2XE

Regular
I did my first 50 mile ride. I've only been cycling seriously for about a month so this was a major milestone for me. My place just outside Littlehampton to Rottingdean and back 50.4 miles. The first half was fantastic on the way back 20mph + winds knocked the fun and the average speed down. It was my first time out in proper bib shorts and the only time I've been comfortable for a whole ride.

smiler1207

First proper ride out today that didn't involve me getting to work or getting home from work! Much smoother with my new Schwalbe Marathons on, leisurely pace as I wasn't sure where I was going, may head out into the country next time:
https://www.strava.com/activities/627409037

Attachments

• 20160702_123548.jpg
    20160702_123548.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 64

Mrs M

Guru
:smile:
:bicycle:We local toddle today, thunder forecast, not here yet.
Stopped 5 mins from home to say hello to some were calves. Mum's not happy so "on yer bike Mrs M" before you start a stampede.
Did a hilly run today, saw a pensioner on a very nice bike in full BMC kit, couldn't catch him!
Not in a hurry today, a few stops to take in the views and some pics. Cycling is the best stress buster, considering some alternatives, happy riding.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 61

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With yet another day of unsettled weather forecast I didn't want to go to far from home so decided to do a reverse of a Test Valley route I enjoyed a few weeks ago, something which in theory should be as good but somehow doesn't always seem that way.

There was more like a March wind than a July breeze blowing as I headed out through Landford & Lockerley to East Tytherley where the first few spots of rain began to fall. Fortunately I was on a tree lined lane at the time so took shelter under a tree & decided to have an early lunch & by the time I'd eaten the shower had passed & without the need for my jacket I continued on through the market town of Stockbridge.

Similar to last week, it looked as though I had again dodged the worst of the rain as the roads suggested some meaty downpours as I headed back & up a couple of gentle cat 4 climbs to Little Somborne, Kings Somborne & Braishfield where it was a case of heading onto a headwind for the journey back to the forest & home.

62.3 miles, metric ton number 19 for the year & a route which was as enjoyable in reverse as it was t'other way round.

NB: 30 minutes after I arrived home thunder, lightning & torrential rain so perfect timing!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/627454553

013.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

rugby bloke

Veteran
"Every year its the same, as soon as the Tour de France starts, out come the bloody cyclists ..."

To celebrate the start of the race I headed out into the wind for a gentle morning spin. The first 3rd seemed like a non stop battle into the wind and the legs were really feeling it, but amazingly as soon as I turned away I recovered ! Quite a few other cyclist out and plenty of sun to enjoy, happy days.

upload_2016-7-2_15-52-25.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/627282531

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's a new month and time for the latest challenge ride. Once again I had in mind to do an imperial century but with the forecast showing winds gusting into the 30s didn't think that would be much fun. My siblings persuaded me to head for Ludlow again as they are attending another market so south I went.

I didn't want to do exactly the same route as last month so after starting off going the same way to Cardington I headed further east to Longville and climbed over Wenlock Edge from there which is one of the easier climbs. Dropping down the other side to Broadstone I took the more direct and not too hilly way through Tugford and Peaton then followed my nose the rest of the way to Ludlow. It was quite difficult judging the wind direction on this stretch. It seemed to be mostly against me but every now and again it seemed to drop and my speed would suddenly shoot up.

Ludlow was quite busy and needed a bit of care to ride through due to the number of people in the road. I found and chatted to my brother and sister who had made a few sales but it seemed the better part of the crowd hadn't worked their way down to the castle end of the square yet.

I left town via Dinham Bridge and while pausing here to take a photo was accosted by a collie who seemed to think I was his best mate and acted like he'd never been so happy to see anyone else. The owner was quite apologetic.:laugh:

I followed the rode then bridleway through the Oakly Park estate then after the race course and golf club had wind assistance up the B-road passing Stanton Lacy and Culmington to Seifton Batch for my second crossing of Wenlock Edge. This is another easy way over, being a long but gentle climb.

Over the other side the wind made the riding very easy for a while and I was wafted along to Wall then at speed to Longville where I made the most of it by continuing north-east as long as I could.

Only the bit from Cantlop down to Condover presented difficulty this time as I had to go down a couple of gears to get 13mph down hill. Unlike last time I didn't add any mileage on at the end as the wind was picking up and there were shower clouds rolling in.

Edit to add: It was quite cold out and I needed a fleece on for the first half of the ride. This isn't the summer weather I ordered! :dry:

63.7 miles for the trip at a surprisingly reasonable 13.1 mph average.

DSC0003606.jpg

Caer Caradoc from the Folly Bank climb

DSC0003607.jpg

At the top of the climb I liked the light coming through the trees.

DSC0003616.jpg

DSC0003622.jpg

DSC0003624.jpg

A few views of Ludlow

DSC0003626.jpg

Dinham Bridge and the Castle

DSC0003628.jpg

Lunch stop

DSC0003630.jpg

A bit of decoration at Condover Church.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Saturday crew gathered in Malvern and Upton. 4 today, Steve E., Margaret P-R., Julian H. and little me. Still tired after the GV Tour I was looking for a nice easy one today. Steve called the Trioscape so that would fit nicely. The wind was an issue today so we took the sheltered route on the way out. All good as we chatted our way southwards.

We were fortunate that we were in the cafe when the shower hit. All nice and dry when we headed out for the Hams. The wind was hindering at times but our strategy had worked as we didn't get the worst of it. A pub call meant we returned to Upton and the Swan for a pint. Steve and I returned swiftly enough after that although the last 2 or 3 miles were wind hindered. Good little ride to get tired legs and body going again. 52 miles today

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
First ride of July and I'd a plan to get a banker in for the Half Century Challenge.

Looking out of the window at the sun shining down, I put some sunblock on before heading out in bib-shorts and a short sleeved jersey.
This may have been slightly optimistic.
Yes it was sunny, but where had that wind come from? "Light breeze" said my weather app...:cold:

Resisting the temptation to turn round and get another few layers, I decided to get going and the cycling itself would warm me up, wouldn't it? Local roads and then up Leeds Rd to Scholes and the Coronation Tree, then straight up the hill before the downhill run to Barwick, taking a right onto Long lane for the mainly downhill run to Garforth, with a heck of a cross wind on the exposed bits. By the time I'd reached Garforth the wind had conspired to make me think today was probably going to be 50km rather than 50 miles...
From there up the A642 across the M1 and out to Aberford, through the village then up the hill to Lotherton Gates, then Copley Lane out to the Saxton turning and left through the fields and into the village. Straight on and up the hill and onto the B1217 past the Towton Battlefield site and into the village itself.
Big dark clouds were gathering and it was pretty obvious that rain was coming, so I tried upping the pace to keep in front of it, but shortly after turning onto Raw Lane for the run to Ulleskelf it caught me and I pulled into the Kirkby Wharfe turning to put my 'waterproof' lightweight jacket on (more on this later).
Back underway and up into Ulleskelf and through the village, taking Boggart Lane and stopping by a field of poppies for a drink and 5 minutes:
IMG_20160702_090635785_HDR_2.jpg
IMG_20160702_090649150_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160702_090701670.jpg

The scene seemed particularly poignant this week.

Back on the bike and through Ozendyke being quite pleased to be maintaining a speed in the high teens, only to get passed by a solo racing snake who made it seem like I was stood still :eek: and into Ryther, taking a right onto Mill Lane to loop around the southern side of the airport towards Church Fenton. Passed a group of 4 or so cyclists stopped atop the bridge over the railway line, who all said hello, and then on to Moor lane between the open fields and with nowhere to hide from the headwind.
Into Church Fenton, passing a guy on a hybrid and over the railway bridge and then the long straight run down to Barkston Ash with still a threat (or more) of rain in the air.
A quick right / left on the main road and back towards Saxton, still into the wind, then retraced my earlier route back past Lotherton Hall and into Aberford.
From there it was @Old jon 's favourite route into Barwick and on to Scholes, still into the blooming headwind. As I reached the descent down to the Coronation Tree the wind and rain really picked up and I was forced to pedal downhill to keep a decent speed up.
Abandoning plans to go the "long way" round to home, I took Leeds Rd straight into the weather. It got vaguely ridiculous at this point as it's only a slight rise through the village before the descent down to Cock Beck, but the wind meant I had to drop onto the small cog at the front to maintain progress. Where on earth had this come from???:bicycle:
Down the hill, pedaling all the way :dry: and as I turned onto local roads for the last mile or so to home the heavens really opened, reminding me that my lightweight coat really is only showerproof...:rain:
Having quickly reached a state of maximum moistness there was no point taking shelter so close to home, so I just pushed on and got the ride finished.

34.29 miles (55.18km) in 2hr 26m at an average of 14.1 mph, with 1,571ft climbed. Not quite the ride I'd planned on setting off, but at least that's a metric half century in the bag for this month. ^_^
02072016.jpg

In keeping with true cycling tradition, within 10 minutes of getting home, the sun was back out and the sky was blue...
Tomorrow looks a much better prospect from a meteorological point of view :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom