Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a quick 8 mile round trip to Littleport to pick up mum's prescription. The ladies in the dispensary don't even ask me who it's for anymore - there's not many who turn up there in lycra on a roadie. :blush:

Lots of spring flowers out now, plus trees / shrubs like cherry plum, blackthorn and forsythia are in full bloom. Plenty of pussy willow by the roadside on Black Bank too. And saw a barn owl hunting in broad daylight - guess with yesterday's rain it wouldn't have been able to.

Downside - almost got wiped out three times within the space of half a mile. Once in Parson's Lane. It's never easy there with all the parked cars. Pulled out to ride past a parked up lorry, and a car overtakes me at the same time, horn blaring, and squeezes me in towards the lorry. Just managed to stay upright and not hit either the car or the lorry. Definitely squeaky bum time. :cursing: Second time was pulling into the surgery car park only to come face to face with a numpty in a large 4x4 who had just pulled out of a space close to the entrance and had decided to leave that way rather than drive the right way round the car park (all of 50 metres) and leave by the exit. :cursing: Third time was another numpty reversing out of a disabled bay by the surgery entrance without checking to see what was behind them. Nearly flattened me along with a couple of pedestrians. :cursing:

I'm thinking of mounting a kalashnikov on my handlebars... :gun:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Just a quick hour on the hybrid, over brick pits, some path riding and back via the pits.
No biggie, but for the first time in several years, I saw something I used to see quite regularly, a Lockheed C130, flying East to west, low ( maybe 500ft) just beyond the pits. I always thought it was a strange low flightpath, headed Northants way.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Lovely weather today, and a shame that I was on nights tonight or my ride would have been much longer. As it was, a very enjoyable 23 miles largely skirting around the outside of Windsor Great Park before cutting through it to home. Followed up by strangely enjoyable 9 mile commute to work. I've adjusted my route after over a year having found a nice alternative to the big roundabout at Stanwell.

Trickedem

Guru
I had my annual medical test today. Probably not a good idea to arrive with 5 minutes to spare as one of the tests was blood pressure and resting pulse. But fortunately all ok. I then had the most fantastic descent of nearly 5.5 miles in beautiful weather. Very annoying that a hospital with parking for 100s of cars doesn't have any bike parking facilities
downhill all the way.jpg
bupa.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Severn Loop today for the first time this year. Clockwise, this involves crossing the Severn Bridge to Chepstow, up the A48 to the A40, through the edge of Gloucester (not the nicest bit of the ride), then back home via the A38 and country lanes. It's one of my standard 'get the miles in' rides, the advantage (or disadvantage!) being that once you've gone a certain distance up the other side of the river there is no way to cut the ride short (not having mastered walking/riding on water!).
So, today's effort was in aid of the only sunny day forecast this week, will have to put nose to grindstone for the rest of the week to make up for today's missed work!

Relive link
Strava link

This garden is by one of the country lanes near Itchington. I've passed it many times, but today was the first time that all three conditions were met: a) it was sunny, b) the daffs and primroses were out, c) I had a reasonable camera with me!
DSC00652small.JPG
DSC00653small.JPG

Then my favourite bridge... (and being the geek that I am, I noticed the fact that the shadow of the top railing was almost exactly on the white line marking the edge of the cycle path - pity the shadows of the vertical bars didn't line up with the diagonal hatchings on the tarmac!)
DSC00656small.JPG

Through Chepstow and on up the A48, which although an A road is not too busy (and is a lot flatter than going north through the Forest of Dean). Stopped at a garage to fuel up - the cheery chap behind the till looked at my sandwich, flapjack and huge 'Snickers duo' and asked me if I was sure that was enough chocolate. Then if I had enough water - good sales technique, and all with a lovely smile.

Stopped at my usual spot at the embankment at Newnham and ate my sandwiches. As usual there were a collection of branches and even the odd log being taken out towards the sea, some of which looked remarkably like sea serpents and river monsters... Had a nice chat with a couple sitting on the next bench who were also admiring the view.
DSC00657small.JPG

On again, through the edge of Gloucester - the cycle path along the A40 and round past Gloucester docks is one of the few that I regularly use. This isn't the nicest part of the route, but is the next bridge over the Severn so there isn't much choice. Once out of Gloucester I was feeling quite tired - this is the longest ride so far this year. Came across a roadside burger van so had a sit down, a mug of tea and a chip butty, and a nice chat with the van man. The last 15 miles to home were a bit of a struggle, but it was a great day out (being even better as it is a Monday when most folks are back at work after the weekend!), and hopefully my legs (and bum!) will be a bit better next time!

Branch Bank is passable by bike, roadworks notwithstanding - well it was when I went down that way last week, blithely ignoring the "Road Closed" signs. :whistle: As did several cars. In both directions... The roadworks, when I got there, consisted of about 20 meters of muddy road with some new concrete blocks laid down in the verge. :wacko:

I did think about going on but as I was on the 'posh' bike didn't want to risk it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With a relatively early start, for me, planned for today, I set out at about 09:00 hoping to get 100km done as the weather was lovely.
Bit of a chilly start though, but all was looking good.
Foxton Locks was my destination, along the old railway line, Sustrans route 6, and canal banks, but to add enough miles, I set off round the south of the town to add the extra distance I'd need.

IMG_0972.JPG

The entrance to Kelmarsh tunnel, with the light at the other end! This is the first, and drier of the two tunnels, both unlit.

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

By the swingbridge, close to Foxton. It was at this point my planned day changed.
All was going well until I got a call from my daughter ,asking if I could pick my granddaughter up from school, as she wasn't feeling well. No probs, I still had time to get back with an hour to spare for a shower and jump into the car.
That's when I got a visit from the p*ncture fairy.
Quick change of tube, thought I, and carry on. The next tube, that had a repair on it, leaked like a sieve. The patch had unstuck itself. Oh well, I'll repair the first one with my kit. Quick sanding and solution applied. Patch wouldn't stick to the tube! Half an hour later, I managed to keep some air in the tyre for a mile of so. Then the patch failed. I did a rear wheel wobble, and just avoided a dunk in the canal :surrender:
The shame was, a passing canal boat had asked if I had all the stuff I needed. If I'd had known the hassle I was going to have, I could have hitched a lift into Harborough. As it was, I walked and trotted several miles into town to Geo Halls LBS and purchased a couple of tubes (a spare, just in case!!) and the chap asked if I wanted to use the sky hooks and Joeblow to make life easier. What a kind offer, and most welcome. (I've left a thank you on their Twitter page appreciation :okay:

Eventually, I was on my way, with a slight possibility of being back in time.Sadly, after 15 miles or so, I didn't think I'd have time. New plans were drawn up and I continued at a more leisurely pace.
I then thought, as I didn't have to be home by 3 o'clock, I could get my 100km done after all, so I returned home by a similar route round the south of the town rather than the more direct roads.
I'd missed my coffee stop, and with only a few quid left from my tenner, I grabbed a bottle of lucozade and a Mars Bar from a corner shop to top up my energy levels.
Back home after a fairly eventful ride, on 103 km in warm and sunny weather :sun:
I think I rode 98km and walked/jogged t'other 5!

P.S. My puncture kit is going in the bin, and a new one will be purchased (and tested properly) before my next ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/898793977

:smile:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
:okay:You can wait for a lifetime...to spend your days in the sunshine:sun:.After grabbing some red stickered lemon & white chocolate muffins from the CoOp in Hawkshead, I headed south towards Newby Bridge, all pretty gentle apart from one climb near Graythwaite. After that nice easy warmup, it was time for the toughest climb of the day, from the A592 up towards Gummer's How:sweat:-six chevrons in just over one square on the landranger ! Some cracking views over the south Lakes from the top though, and a nice fast downhill towards Bowland Bridge (phew, I had done a good job adjusting my brakes:dance:), passing the Mason's Arms and the Hare & Hounds on the way, followed by Crosthwaite and lots more ups and downs on the way to Crook and Staveley.There's some fantastic riding country in between Kendal and Windermere and I'm glad I spent plenty of time working out possible routes on the map. After a thankfully short hop on the cyclepath alongside my old friend the A591, I escaped onto a lovely lane with great views of the eastern fells which took me to the A592 just south of Troutbeck church-fantastic display of daffodils in the churchyard. Then another wicked little climb towards Troutbeck, before turning off down Holbeck Lane towards the lovely A591. I could see nearly all the way down Windermere and got a sense of just how far I'd come. Just under an hour after leaving Troutbeck Church, I was back in Far Sawrey (via Ambleside, Brathay, Bog Lane, Skelwith Fold, Outgates and Hawkshead). While passing the Drunken Duck, I noted numerous bags of Malt and Hops waiting to be turned into fine ales by the Barngates Brewery...I'll be back:cheers:!BTW, if anyone fancies a South Lakes pub crawl, let me know!;)

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've been green with envy at anyone who was able to get out at the weekend. I had a better opportunity today, and a promising forecast...

I set off at about 8:15 in glorious sunshine, shorts, three very improper shirts, my 30-year-old arm warmers, gloves and a tea-cosy styled hat - my preferred one because it sits comfortably over the ears. Everything remained in place throughout the ride apart from the hat. I went past the magnificent abbey churches at Tewkesbury and Pershore, over Eckington bridge on the Avon and into unfamiliar roads through to Droitwich. All the time the majestic ridge of the Malverns, lit up by the morning sun, was daring me to climb it.

From Droitwich I did a loop to the north including three contrasting crossings of the Severn at Holt Fleet, Bewdley and Stourport. A ride which barely rose above 250 feet can hardly be called hilly, but this section, which I didn't know at all, managed to be extremely choppy (easy to see on the diagram below).

Several times in the last couple of years I've headed south from Worcester fully intending to climb the high road around the top of the Malverns. I've ridden over the lower southern bit a few times, but I've yet to hit the high road - somehow by the time I get there I prefer the thought of getting home. But they are still nice to look at:

Mar13b.jpg

The magnificent Malverns, once again a step too far.

Towards the end I picked out a road new to me near Newent, yet another Golden Valley. With the wild daffodils blooming in great profusion, it's an appropriate name.

Mar13pic.jpg

I finished with 111.68 miles,.a clean bike and a very dirty face.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Day off work today and the car was being serviced - I'd dropped it off on Saturday as there was no way I was doing battle with the Ipswich rush hour traffic. The dealer had said they'd call in the afternoon when it was ready for colection, so, after a decent lie in an a few domestics out came the best bike for a quick blast in the late morning and early afternooon sunshine.

Just over 30 miles on the back roads out to Waldringfield and across to Westerfield via Rushmere then skirting Ipswich to Bucklesham and home. It seems that quite a few people had taken advantage of the beautiful weather as I don't normally see that many cyclists out on a weekday.
https://www.strava.com/activities/898828354

Much slower ride later in the afternoon back to Ipswich via the Levington & Nacton back road to collect the car
Levington small.jpg

I had my annual medical test today. Probably not a good idea to arrive with 5 minutes to spare as one of the tests was blood pressure and resting pulse. But fortunately all ok. I then had the most fantastic descent of nearly 5.5 miles in beautiful weather. Very annoying that a hospital with parking for 100s of cars doesn't have any bike parking facilities
View attachment 342378 View attachment 342379 .
At least you can console yourself that you avoided the usually extortionate parking charges.
£3 is often a minimum even if you are only 25 minutes

Top Bottom