Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1009550473

I got a little ride completed before today's rain arrived.

IMG_4420.JPG

Cows at the top of Old Winchester Hill.

IMG_4422.JPG

Lovely view.

IMG_4423.JPG

Sheep at the top of the hill.

IMG_4427.JPG

Out to the sustainability centre.

IMG_4428.JPG

Carrot cake and Coffee.

IMG_4429.JPG

Top of Butser hill.

IMG_4432.JPG

That's a very steep descent ( a lot steeper than it looks in the photo).

IMG_4434.JPG

Halfway down the hill.

IMG_4435.JPG

Church on a hill.

A nice day out, and I got back in time for the Monaco GP, and I missed the rain.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A tandem day out for us. We trudged up Chapel Hill from Haslingfield and then let rip down to Barrington. My garmin said 39.9 mph, Strava has it at 39.8, must try harder!

Over the A10 and the A505 and in to pretty, quiet countryside. There were fields of blue flax , wheat and barley swaying in the light breeze
IMG_3274.JPG

We stopped for a breather at the church in Great Chishill, it was here that I realised that my phone was about to conk out...
IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

On through the pretty lanes, hedgerows full of dog roses
IMG_3255.JPG

We stopped in Saffron Walden at Bicicletta con velo for a drink and a bacon butty. They even charged my phone, now that's service!

Through Little Walden and Hadstock where we broke the 30mph speed limit on purpose, bloody cyclists!

In Linton we stopped at the Co-op for an ice cream.

We took the quiet back road for Balsham, there were lovely wild flowers up there
IMG_3263.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3266.JPG
IMG_3268.JPG

Not long after we had our wildlife sighting of the day. A large bird of prey was hunting low over the pea and wheat fields. We stopped and watched for a couple of minutes as the Hen Harrier put on a great display for us!
IMG_3270.JPG

From Fulbourn we went up and over to Shelford and in to Grantchester. We stopped for a shandy, it hit the spot!
IMG_3278.JPG

56 miles once home, a big ride for the tandem.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1009908083

TigerT

Veteran
Lovely sunny day in Zurich. I had no plans to go out, but having been outside and found the perfect combination of warmth with a light cool breeze, I decided on my favourite trip over Baden for coffee and back. Took the hybrid, just because I wasn't in a hurry and I haven't ridden it for a while.

I Don't normally ride with a Go Pro, but wish I had today. Got passed by a convoy of classic MG's heading somewhere. All immaculate. All had local registrations but surprisingly, I think only 2 were Left Hand Drive. There seems to be quite a following for British Classics out here and due to a very tough MOT test they are nearly always in excellent condition. Being a big fan of british sports cars, That was a highlight.

So on to Baden, parked up and went for Coffee and cake in the sunshine followed by an equally nice ride home.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles in the bright sunshine, a lovely day for it, about three other cyclists on the roads at noon, I'm sure many other faiths still in church until mid afternoon, very little traffic
Temperature 75F, 24C
Winds NW 13
Relative humidity 62%
Barometer 29.80 in, 1010.4mb.
Clouds moving in, chance of thunderstorms. The Trek 600 performing flawlessly, the rider, somewhat less so.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I joined in the Glos Velo outing today. 10 of us lead by Ken P. We picked Fred C up at Quedgeley and Steve P on the outskirts of Gloucester. We were heading south on that horrid A38 with the pace being held fairly high until we turned into the lanes for Berkeley ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Castle ) and on to Thornbury where Andrew J. was waiting. We paused in Thornbury for a brief snack before heading for the Severn Bridge ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Bridge ). The guys showed me a knew way through Chepstow which avoids the trafficked main road. Then the climbing started. You young guns had their leash removed by Ken so that 4 of us stuck it out together. Andrew, Ken, Spencer T and me. My legs were well cooked by the time I returned to the car. Nevertheless a good testing ride in good company and at a bit of a pace at times. 69 smiles (with no tea and cake :sad:).

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
The weathermen predicted yesterday's thunderstorm almost to the minute, which was when my brother was about to light the barbecue. I took this to be a sign that their wind prediction today might also be accurate. Northwesterly backing/veering (I never remember which is which) to northerly then northeasterly. Yay, they were right with this too. 65 miles with a tailwind most of the way.:hyper:
I headed down the Berwickshire coast by Pease Bay and Coldingham, then inland now heading south over Ayton Hill. Then decision time. Left into England
IMG_20170528_151906.jpg

Or right into Scotland?

IMG_20170528_151921.jpg

I did neither and went straight on, a minor road which runs right along the border for a mile before turning east into occupied territory. After turning West again I made it back safely to civilisation but the lack of patrols or border guards inspired me into a raid on Northumberland proper via the union chain bridge.

Quick sprint past Norham Castle, back across the Tweed, a quick stop for cake in Leitholm and back home for tea.
Route partly inspired by @User's post the other day about tweed bib shorts, I crossed the Tweed in bib shorts four times.

Last edited:

Bryony

Veteran
My ride today was a sponsored ride for our local Hospice. A couple of my work buddies and I were invited to join a group from the neighbouring doctors surgery (they arranged it all).

Anyway the surgery gang set off and left us from the start so we ended up riding it as a trio. We set off towards Minnis bay and quite quickly caught the others up, but when we got to Minnis my buddy Tash had a mechanical so we stopped to try and fix it and again the others just left us behind and that was last we saw of them til the end!!

We eventually fixed Tash's mechanical and set off again. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, until we got to Ramsgate where we bumped into Danny MacAskill! He's in Ramsgate with his Drop and Roll tour and doing a show tomorrow, he was having a wander about in the promenade, and we stopped and had a chat with him and had a couple of pics with him, he's a very nice guy!!

We finished at the pharmacy/surgery only a few minutes behind the others to a very patronising applause and a "yay you made it!" So I was very quick to point out that we had a few problems which took a while to sort and that none of them made any effort to contact us to see if we were ok, which they said they would do if we all got separated!! Anyway enough of the ranting!! We raised a nice little amount for the Hospice and that's what the day was about.
IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice slow saunter across the fen here today along familiar tracks and lanes.

IMG_1982.JPG

Tubney Fen near Reach with a few pals to manoeuvre past.

IMG_1979.JPG

Reach Lode from the bridge.

IMG_1980.JPG

The long and not very winding road home. It's the kind of road I like. Having endured a few more altercations with the Great ($hite) British driving public than I care to think about recently, this is my kind of territory.

IMG_1981.JPG

Another quiet fenland waterway as the clouds thickened. Luckily no rain yet.

As I reached my village a couple I know were heading for the pub and it would have been rude not to have joined them. Then a few others turned up and a bit of a session commenced. My nice healthy day soon went tits up. Good fun though.

Soz I've been away for so long folks - life gets in the way sometimes. Kept fit-ish by walking, but it's not the same as being out on a bike.

Anyways, just went out for a tootle round my usual 14 mile Downham - Way Head - Coveney - Ely loop in between the end of the Monaco GP and the start of the Indy 500.

Rather quiet out on the road, saw more bikes leant up on gate posts for sale than I did cyclists. I reckon they were all having barbecues instead judging by the aromas wafting on the light breeze.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A rather wet ride in to work last night. I suppose once your shoes are full of water you can't get much wetter. Sitting here at work, all clothes dry and just waiting for the shoes. Thankfully we have a drying room so at worst they'll be damp when home time comes.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual..
A mate and I decided to head out on a longish route 'veI wanted to do as I've not done many miles on the Defy2 recently. I'm on the Norwich 100 next Sunday so needed to get some road riding done..
There were plenty of ups and downs to test the legs, and, as a lot of it is on the Women's Tour next week, lovely scenery and villages to ride through.

IMG_1739.JPG

One of the challenges of the ride, and a reason for the route, was to find a Trig Point near Arthingworth.

From there, we did a mile of so up the A508 to check out the access to the Waterloo Cafe, then back the way we came to find a reasonable back lane to the Buddhist Centre for a coffee.

IMG_1753.png

Sadly, it was closed for a spiritual holiday...
Not to be deterred from our quest, we headed for the Vicarage tea rooms in Naseby.

IMG_1754.JPG

Freshly baked, still warm, scones, proper cream and home made raspberry jam! :mrpig:

From there, we headed homewards via some back lanes, avoiding the busy places. Bob finished the ride on 50 miles, but I had a bit more time left to play out, so added another 12 or 13 miles.

Untitled.png

A smashing day out on the bike, on a fairly hilly route. Warm and quite humid weather with not much breeze to cool us down.

My first metric century this month!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1009816253

:smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterdays ride: It's the last weekend of the month so I needed a century ride to keep me in the challenge.

After some rearrangements I got out yesterday and repeated one of my favourite routes; to Lake Vyrnwy, heading out through Shrewsbury to Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Kinnerley, Knockin, Llynclys and up the Tanat Vallet to Penybontfawr then via Cwm Hirnant to Abertridwr and up to do a lap of the lake.

I used the Galaxy this time for the first really long ride I've done on it and enjoyed the way it eats up the miles without much effort and how it seems to smooth out the rough roads. Traffic was light this early in the morning and everyone I did meet was well behaved.

Getting up to the lake there was a notable difference in the humidity and the road was still wet from the rain the day before. On the very flat road (and sheltered from the headwind I'd been riding against) 16/17mph was a comfortable cruising speed and I was soon back round to the dam and heading for a stop at The Old Barn cafe.

Having enjoyed my hot chocolate I headed round the lake the opposite way. There were more cyclists out by now and I overtook several groups enjoying a leisurely bimble.

Having passed the metric century mark it was back into the hills to retrace my steps towards home. By this point I could feel the lack of riding this month. For various reasons my mileage has been well down over the last few weeks and I really knew about it on the climb away from Abertridwr. I toyed with the idea of trying an alternative route to Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant but looking at the contours on the map thought I'd leave that one for another time.:whistle:

Normally I love the ride back down the Tanat Valley as although it's got the odd climb, the trend is slightly downhill all the way to Llynclys. Today though the forecast was correct and while I was up at Vyrnwy the wind had swung round so as to be a headwind both ways.:sad: What should have been a fun blast down the valley therefore was a pretty ordinary pace as I did the best I could.

There was more traffic on the way back too. My lunch stop at a crossroads by Llanhraeadr had some entertainment thrown in as a few lost tourists tried to work out where they were going next. One car came past the junction three times while I was there.:laugh:

Once past Llynclys the wind became less of an issue (due to not being funnelled up a valley) but the drivers were impolite :dry: so I was glad to head onto quieter roads heading for Melverley. I was flagging by now so used a chat with a couple on a tandem as a good excuse to stop for a rest. (Hope that back tyre held up for the rest of the trip.:okay:)

Another stop for a bite to eat near to Prince's Oak was within earshot of the Loton Park speed hillclimb so I enjoyed a sandwich with the sound of screaming engines, screeching tyres and the burble of the commentator in the background.

Stopping to eat helped and the rest of the trip went pretty well. Nearing home the A49 was very busy so I went over Lyth Hill rather than the flat route through Condover this time.

107.89 miles at 14.2 mph moving average (9 hours and 15 minutes with the stops included).

I've really enjoyed using the Dawes for this one but the little finger on my left hand went numb (handlebar adjustment needed?) and there was a certain amount of chafing as this saddle is definitely too wide for me.

DSC0004549.jpg

My usual first drink stop near to Pentre. Looking summery at last.

DSC0004551.jpg

I don't usually go in for selfies (and I'm sure you can see why) but I wanted to show off the CycleChat top on its first outing.

DSC0004556.jpg

The view from my second breakfast stop at Llangedwyn.
DSC0004558.jpg

Penybontfawr.

DSC0004560.jpg

A change of scenery at the top of the climb of Cwm Hirnant (not to be confused with the nearby Hirnant Pass).

DSC0004564.jpg

Llyn Efyrnwy.

DSC0004565.jpg

The hills at the head of the lake.

DSC0004566.jpg

The view from the terrace at the Old Barn Cafe.

DSC0004570.jpg

Heading through the wooded shoreline on my second lap of the lake.

DSC0004573.jpg

Heading for home and the view from my last food stop near Prince's Oak.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Test ride number 2 on the team carbon, the fit is getting close now but found out the low stop was set wrong and couldnt get 1st gear , also i found out sausage sarnies = not good ride food as i had acid indigestion all the way around tasting bile every time i burped
:sad:
test ride number 3 and i think the new set up is very close.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1010287800

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Pure beefcake @Rickshaw Phil !

There was some procrastination this morning. Eventually Mrs Dave decided on a road bike ride. I went to move her bike and the headset was all over the place! Once that was tightened and tyres pumped we were off. She only wanted to go to the Gransdens, but I pointed out that 2 miles further meant tea at Waresley GC. She didn't argue!
We'd forgotten it was bank holiday. At Bourn airfield they have a bank holiday market, so the first 10 minutes were more traffic heavy than usual.
Once past the airfield we were back to quiet lanes, still damp from last nights rain.
There were plenty of goldfinches and kestrels about and a few sheep here and there among the large arable fields
IMG_3282.JPG

She was giving it some welly today. At points I had to give it some to catch up!

We reached the garden centre and had tea plus a little custard tart treat
IMG_3284.JPG

Nice crispy pastry on the bottom too!

Back past Waresley woods, and at the crest of the hill we had to stop for a little bit of horse shenanigans
IMG_3286.JPG

The light brown pony to the left was new to the young girl. It had seen a puddle and thought the world would end! They were ever so apologetic. It was all fine by us.

Once home strava informed me that her average speed was 14mph. Not bad eh?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1011154915

Top Bottom