Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Lo all. Been a while. Got me self a carbon so today was the first time out.

View attachment 355348
Coupled with a lack of riding for a couple of months thought I'd do an easy 12 miler to get a feel for the Cube Agree.
Okay, that's faster and skitterish than I'm used to great fun. And the legs haven't complained!
A mate has bought his first road bike so out with him tomorrow. Doubt it'll be a fast as today but who knows
Lovely bike :okay:

Simontm

Veteran
Lovely bike :okay:
Ta. Very pretty. I'll post some pics tomorrow in the proper place rather than hijack here

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles today, 6 miles with air in the rear tire, 4 miles with grass in the rear tire, after I couldn't find the leak in the tube by roadside, I took advantage of mown but not raked grass by the roadside to fill up my tire and get home. Finely milled, it was, after 4 miles.
89F 31.6C
Winds SW8
Relative humidity 39%
Barometer 30.00 1016.8mb
Now cloudy, with a chance of new tires.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: After the big ride last weekend and 100+ commuting miles this week I hadn't really planned to get out, however an iffy forecast for next weekend, then commitments later in the month made me realise I could really do with getting in a banker ride for the Imperial Century Challenge.

I was up and out on the road a few minutes after seven and heading to do an "easy" 100 miler round the north of Shropshire by heading to Condover intitially then to Pontesbury & Minsterley, Westbury, Melverley, Oswestry, Gobowen and Ellesmere. Very well known roads so far, but after Welshampton I planned to deviate from my norm by heading to Prees, Calverhall, Market Drayton, High Ercall, Upton Magna, Atcham and back to Condover before heading home.

It was a little on the cool side when I set out and there was a brisk westerley wind which wasn't overly helpful for the first 30 miles or so. From Gobowen it changed into a tailwind that was to help me along for the next 30 miles. Unfortunately around this area there had been quite a few movements of cattle down the lanes which were rather messy in places. It made me very glad that I run mudguards all year round.

I couldn't pass Ellesmere without a detour to The Mere, then pressed on towards Welshampton. On the way there was a group of cyclists stopped to sort out a puncture. I did the usual and asked whether they had everything they needed and got the response "Better still, I've got someone to do it for me!":laugh:

After a very brief chat I moved on again along more mucky roads. About a mile further on I noticed something stuck to my front tyre. I made the mistake of stopping to flick it off and instantly heard the hiss of escaping air.:angry: So about 15 minutes were lost doing my own repair - the first I've done at the roadside in a couple of years.

The next few miles are very flat and with that wind behind me I made very good progress to Prees where there was a long hold up at the level crossing. The train was stopping at the station anyway so I'm not quite sure why the barriers needed to be down as long as they were.

After Prees I was onto roads that were either completely new to me or that I'd only used once or twice before. I had a chat with a passer by in Ightfield who told me a couple of interesting snippets of local history, then managed to take the wrong junction shortly after and ended up doing an unplanned detour while I got my bearings again and found the way into Market Drayton.

Here I was back onto roads I know but was starting to feel the recent miles. I knew I'd soon have to turn back into the wind, which had picked up a bit and there were threatening clouds rolling in. The first shower rolled through at High Ercall and the next when I got to Upton Magna but neither was heavy or lasted very long. A third on the road to Condover was a different matter as the rain was torrential and very cold. I got my waterproofs on but had already been soaked to the skin by the deluge. A hot chocolate and a shower were very welcome by the time I got home.

102.1 miles for the day at 14.2 mph average which I'm quite happy with. (9 hours with all the stops included)

DSC0004581.jpg

Lovely conditions to start with. Descending to Prince's Oak you come round this corner to find the plain unveiled before you.

DSC0004582.jpg

Melverley Church

DSC0004584.jpg

Crossing the Montgomery Canal at Maesbury Marsh.

DSC0004585.jpg

Mudguards! Because it ain't always mud.;)

DSC0004589.jpg

A pause by The Mere at Ellesmere.

DSC0004592.jpg

Getting delayed at Welshampton.

DSC0004594.jpg

Some good place names round this part of Shropshire.

DSC0004597.jpg

Prees.

DSC0004601.jpg

Temporarily unsure of my position.

DSC0004604.jpg

Market Drayton.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A little ride with the girls, i wanted to do the chain gang route, but the girls wanted to go to Shenley for a coffee. so i got out voted:sad: anyway of to Shenley we go nice steady ride in the sunshine, nice country lanes, had an iced coffee and a jam and cream scone, As the girls had no idea where we were, i sais we would go a different way back, so of we went heading for the chain gang route, a couple of miles in they sust me out, to late head down and of we go, both of them sucking my wheel all the way home,:laugh: A nice ride we all got what we wanted.:okay: Ended up with a nice beer. :rolleyes:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1020583976

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
75 miler
Increasing the distance week by week. Four of us headed out on a fairly hilly ride, taking in Wendover woods, the highest point in the Chilterns. The doc has put me on a new medication for my lungs and it seems to be working, the hills are getting (a little) easier. Starting to loose a bit of weight must help too!
After 35 miles two peeled off in the direction of home leaving myself & Dave to crack on. A few more hills & quiet country lanes found us at a cafe stop with 60 miles on the Garmin. Coffee and a chocolate bar went down a treat & after resting the legs for 15 minutes it was an hours ride back home.

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 15.37.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 15.37.53.png

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

Last edited:

Simontm

Veteran
So went out with my mate for a 15 miler this morning round Kingston, Twickenham then this afternoon I went out again for 16 miles: Kingston, Bushy Park. Up to Walton Bridge then back home via Molesey.
The bike is definitely faster, I'm shaving a good few seconds of segments so next is to see how it goes with distances!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up bright and early, and off on the Pro Carbon to meet up with the three triathletes to do the ITU World cycling segment around the streets of north Leeds.

Expecting a challenge, I set off earlier than needed to get warmed up with a few miles under my belt, so it was the long way round to Roundhay Park - Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and the A58 onto Whin Moor Lane, which took me all the way to Shadwell. Then up the hill, down the other side and the climb up to Slaid Hill lights - all pretty standard stuff so far!

But then I took a left down the hill on Roundhay Park Lane, which had recently been surface dressed :dry:
Fortunately most of the chippings were now in the gutter, so I took primary down the hill and went as fast as I dared. Coming the other way were a lot of cyclists - many wearing the same top. I'd seen arrow signs dotted about but not quite been able to make out the logo - now I could see it was the Yorkshire Mafia Sportive heading out and by 'eck there were a lot of 'em! If you were amongst them, you had a great day for it.

Across the Ring Road and climbed up Park Lane past the golf course and out onto Street Lane and down the hill past Canal Gardens onto Princes Avenue, passing yet more Mafiosos(?) as I approached Oakwood Clock and turned onto Park Avenue for the run into the park itself and to the meeting point.
As I was a bit early, I took a bimble along the Carriage Drive alongside the lake and took a few pics - I didn't think I'd have chance for more photos later..!:laugh:
IMG_20170604_082159415_HDR.jpg

By the spillway wall - next Sunday morning the lake will be full of swimmers trying to avoid the monster pike that reputedly lives in the depth of Waterloo Lake...

IMG_20170604_082625677_HDR.jpg

The pontoons will be going in here for the ITU World triathlon here - and the hill behind will be filled with cheering crowds
IMG_20170604_083518814.jpg

Anyhow, back to the car park just as the three amigos arrived, so gave them a hand getting the bikes off the roof and themselves sorted out, and before I knew it, we were off up the hill towards the Mansion House where the cycling stage will officially start.
Down Mansion Lane and a right onto Street Lane, steadily climbing (and mixing in for a few hundred yards with more sportive stragglers) before heading west along the road. There were a lot of council workers out today, pruning trees, snipping verges and generally tidying up - we'll have to have more major sporting events in town if this is what happens!^_^
Across Harrogate Road and the road started to dip down towards Scott Hall Road (A61), where we turned left onto the dual carriageway for the mainly downhill run that was to come. At the Stainbeck Lane roundabout more council workers were busy filling the potholes, so we scooted round them and as the map of the route supplied is a bit vague (roads will be closed and properly signed next week - hopefully!), decided to push on to the next roundabout (Potternewton Lane), just to make sure we'd covered the whole route!
Round the roundabout and back up the other side of the dual carriageway, mainly climbing now as we headed back for Street Lane, timing it just right for the lights as we turned left onto it for the climb up to the roundabout and onto Stonegate Lane, where we paused for a minute to wait for a straggler to catch up and to assess the route so far.

All sorted it was off down the hill for what was to be nearly two miles of almost constant descending :hyper:so it was every man for himself :rolleyes:
Unfortunately there are several sets of traffic lights and unlike the triathletes next week we had to stop at them!
Still, good time was made down the hill and I was at the front through Meanwood and almost before I knew it, it was time for the tight right at the lights onto Grove Lane heading for Headingley. Tim unfortunately missed the turn and headed straight on, so several shouts were needed to get him back on track before we headed back on course. After an initial drop, Grove Lane soon starts to climb so I was quite pleased to see the roadside sign flash up that I was still doing 17mph up the hill past the church before we bore left round towards Otley Road where the turning point will be next week.
A quick stop to regroup and we were off again, retracing our route initially downhill (where one or more of our group might have triggered the sad face on the speed activated sign :whistle: ) and then the nearly two miles of downhill we'd just completed was now reversed to nearly two miles of climbing! :sweat:
Most of it was a fairly steady incline, apart from the section from Meanwood up to the Stainbeck Lane junction which was steep enough to string us out a bit and get the blood pumping.
Stopped at the lights again :rolleyes: before the climb continued all the way up to the roundabout where we turned right back onto Street Lane. Our route now was straight back to the Mansion House and with the wind at our backs we made good time, stopping only for traffic lights.
Now, next week the route will then be repeated, so we were off again. I won't re-run the whole course again here, other the following highlights - first, thanks to the Golf driver who looked straight at me on one roundabout and then pulled out in front of me :dry: secondly, I averaged over 20mph for the segment covering the descent of Stonegate Lane this time (I hit the lights at red again) and I'm ranked 510th! :eek: The fastest time averages over 36mph so I've got a way to go yet :rolleyes: and finally, thanks to the young lady on the dutch style bike who looked straight at me as I was climbing Grove Lane and rode straight through a give way and across in front of me at about 3mph :dry:.
Anyway, on with the report...
On the return leg along Street Lane I somehow managed to find myself on the front again, so I got the hammer down and kept it above 20mph for the final mile back to the turning onto Mansion Lane, meaning that I was first back :wahhey: :laugh:
There were loads of people out on sighting runs today, including some big groups from a couple of tri clubs, and we had a chat with a few other cyclists about the course, before a slow and steady descent down the shared space of the Carriage Drive back through the park to the Lakeside car park, where I said my farewells and continued alongside the lake and out onto Wetherby Road.
Sensing I'd need a couple of extra kms to get a metric half, I turned onto the Wyke Beck Way cycle route through the woods and out across Easterly Road, before the long steady climb up North Parkway and onto the CSH extension under the Ring Road and then local roads to home, with a final little loop to push the mileage on.

35.15 miles (56.56km) in a surprisingly steady 2h 45m at an average of just 12.7mph, with 2,047ft climbed - and a maximum temperature of 23.0°C (although it felt a lot warmer in the sun).

Lots of positives to take from todays ride though - firstly even though I'm still not firing on all cylinders I more than held my own today so that's a great start, plus it was a fun ride with a good group of lads. The route is pretty good and while it's clearly all on urban roads, I'd forgotten just how green and pleasant parts of this great city can be - something to think about before taking the default option of heading out into the countryside in future, perhaps. And it's this months entry in the half century challenge sorted AND it takes me over 1,000 miles for the year, which given the dreadful cycling start to the year I've had is a real boost. Yep, today it's definitely all good in cycling terms ^_^

And finally, a map that has little artistic merit but shows where I've been:
04062017.JPG

PS - I'll be tuning in next week to see how the Brownlees get on...;):laugh:

TVC

Up bright and early, and off on the Pro Carbon to meet up with the three triathletes to do the ITU World cycling segment around the streets of north Leeds.

Expecting a challenge, I set off earlier than needed to get warmed up with a few miles under my belt, so it was the long way round to Roundhay Park - Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and the A58 onto Whin Moor Lane, which took me all the way to Shadwell. Then up the hill, down the other side and the climb up to Slaid Hill lights - all pretty standard stuff so far!

But then I took a left down the hill on Roundhay Park Lane, which had recently been surface dressed :dry:
Fortunately most of the chippings were now in the gutter, so I took primary down the hill and went as fast as I dared. Coming the other way were a lot of cyclists - many wearing the same top. I'd seen arrow signs dotted about but not quite been able to make out the logo - now I could see it was the Yorkshire Mafia Sportive heading out and by 'eck there were a lot of 'em! If you were amongst them, you had a great day for it.

Across the Ring Road and climbed up Park Lane past the golf course and out onto Street Lane and down the hill past Canal Gardens onto Princes Avenue, passing yet more Mafiosos(?) as I approached Oakwood Clock and turned onto Park Avenue for the run into the park itself and to the meeting point.
As I was a bit early, I took a bimble along the Carriage Drive alongside the lake and took a few pics - I didn't think I'd have chance for more photos later..!:laugh: View attachment 355429
By the spillway wall - next Sunday morning the lake will be full of swimmers trying to avoid the monster pike that reputedly lives in the depth of Waterloo Lake...

View attachment 355430
The pontoons will be going in here for the ITU World triathlon here - and the hill behind will be filled with cheering crowds
View attachment 355431

Anyhow, back to the car park just as the three amigos arrived, so gave them a hand getting the bikes off the roof and themselves sorted out, and before I knew it, we were off up the hill towards the Mansion House where the cycling stage will officially start.
Down Mansion Lane and a right onto Street Lane, steadily climbing (and mixing in for a few hundred yards with more sportive stragglers) before heading west along the road. There were a lot of council workers out today, pruning trees, snipping verges and generally tidying up - we'll have to have more major sporting events in town if this is what happens!^_^
Across Harrogate Road and the road started to dip down towards Scott Hall Road (A61), where we turned left onto the dual carriageway for the mainly downhill run that was to come. At the Stainbeck Lane roundabout more council workers were busy filling the potholes, so we scooted round them and as the map of the route supplied is a bit vague (roads will be closed and properly signed next week - hopefully!), decided to push on to the next roundabout (Potternewton Lane), just to make sure we'd covered the whole route!
Round the roundabout and back up the other side of the dual carriageway, mainly climbing now as we headed back for Street Lane, timing it just right for the lights as we turned left onto it for the climb up to the roundabout and onto Stonegate Lane, where we paused for a minute to wait for a straggler to catch up and to assess the route so far.

All sorted it was off down the hill for what was to be nearly two miles of almost constant descending :hyper:so it was every man for himself :rolleyes:
Unfortunately there are several sets of traffic lights and unlike the triathletes next week we had to stop at them!
Still, good time was made down the hill and I was at the front through Meanwood and almost before I knew it, it was time for the tight right at the lights onto Grove Lane heading for Headingley. Tim unfortunately missed the turn and headed straight on, so several shouts were needed to get him back on track before we headed back on course. After an initial drop, Grove Lane soon starts to climb so I was quite pleased to see the roadside sign flash up that I was still doing 17mph up the hill past the church before we bore left round towards Otley Road where the turning point will be next week.
A quick stop to regroup and we were off again, retracing our route initially downhill (where one or more of our group might have triggered the sad face on the speed activated sign :whistle: ) and then the nearly two miles of downhill we'd just completed was now reversed to nearly two miles of climbing! :sweat:
Most of it was a fairly steady incline, apart from the section from Meanwood up to the Stainbeck Lane junction which was steep enough to string us out a bit and get the blood pumping.
Stopped at the lights again :rolleyes: before the climb continued all the way up to the roundabout where we turned right back onto Street Lane. Our route now was straight back to the Mansion House and with the wind at our backs we made good time, stopping only for traffic lights.
Now, next week the route will then be repeated, so we were off again. I won't re-run the whole course again here, other the following highlights - first, thanks to the Golf driver who looked straight at me on one roundabout and then pulled out in front of me :dry: secondly, I averaged over 20mph for the segment covering the descent of Stonegate Lane this time (I hit the lights at red again) and I'm ranked 510th! :eek: The fastest time averages over 36mph so I've got a way to go yet :rolleyes: and finally, thanks to the young lady on the dutch style bike who looked straight at me as I was climbing Grove Lane and rode straight through a give way and across in front of me at about 3mph :dry:.
Anyway, on with the report...
On the return leg along Street Lane I somehow managed to find myself on the front again, so I got the hammer down and kept it above 20mph for the final mile back to the turning onto Mansion Lane, meaning that I was first back :wahhey: :laugh:
There were loads of people out on sighting runs today, including some big groups from a couple of tri clubs, and we had a chat with a few other cyclists about the course, before a slow and steady descent down the shared space of the Carriage Drive back through the park to the Lakeside car park, where I said my farewells and continued alongside the lake and out onto Wetherby Road.
Sensing I'd need a couple of extra kms to get a metric half, I turned onto the Wyke Beck Way cycle route through the woods and out across Easterly Road, before the long steady climb up North Parkway and onto the CSH extension under the Ring Road and then local roads to home, with a final little loop to push the mileage on.

35.15 miles (56.56km) in a surprisingly steady 2h 45m at an average of just 12.7mph, with 2,047ft climbed - and a maximum temperature of 23.0°C (although it felt a lot warmer in the sun).

Lots of positives to take from todays ride though - firstly even though I'm still not firing on all cylinders I more than held my own today so that's a great start, plus it was a fun ride with a good group of lads. The route is pretty good and while it's clearly all on urban roads, I'd forgotten just how green and pleasant parts of this great city can be - something to think about before taking the default option of heading out into the countryside in future, perhaps. And it's this months entry in the half century challenge sorted AND it takes me over 1,000 miles for the year, which given the dreadful cycling start to the year I've had is a real boost. Yep, today it's definitely all good in cycling terms ^_^

And finally, a map that has little artistic merit but shows where I've been:
View attachment 355458

PS - I'll be tuning in next week to see how the Brownlees get on...;):laugh:
Oh look, you cycled past my brother's house, did you wave?

I know Waterloo lake very well, and the fried breakfast at the boathouse is now a family tradition during our Christmas visits.

Top Bottom