Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's ride (too late back to post last night)

Driving Margaret PR to the meet with Andy G in Rhayader brain nav went down. So out came sat nav to get us back on route. That cost us 15 mins. Andy was almost ready for the off when we rolled up. But my back tyre had gone down in the night. I couldn't actually find the problem so in went a tube anyway and off we went. Straight out onto the climb out of town. Llanidloes arrived and my rear tyre went down again. This time I found a tiny flake of glass so it was lucky I'd put two spare tubes in my bag for today. We climbed out of Llanidloes. Andy had given clearance for the 3 mile longer ride around the reservoir. It climbs more around there too but the climbing is easier not to mention the nicer scenery. As we rode around the reservoir I could see some rain over the way. But the forecast was for fine weather! We took to the climb on the Machynlleth mountain road and at the top it was time for rain jackets. What is going on? Forecast had been good. The drop off the mountain was very iffy with wet roads and a strong gusting wind which was blowing us about all over the road. We made it to Machynlleth safely for the lunchtime rush. Our food did arrive swiftly except for Margaret's soup. The rain came on even heavier. Margaret was looking for ways to avoid riding in it. There weren't any really.

Eventually we hatched a plan. Continue with the original plan with a possible rescue mission for me to go back for Margaret. I set a nice steady pace along a very busy main road for Talybont where we turned back into the quiet stuff. We climbed for 6 miles up and over the Nant Y Moch. It's a lovely steady one so it was tick over in the correct gear time. Being first up (Andy had stopped for a natural break) I stopped to wait. That was a mistake as I got rather cold and suffered all the way to Devil's Bridge.

Thank goodness for the lovely lady in the cafe at Devil's Bridge. "Hot Soup please" got an instant response. Tea and cake too. Margaret managed to buy a tea shirt and the cafe lady found some coats customers' had forgotten. She even offered to take Margaret to her home for some warmth as it would be at least a two hour wait. Andy and I headed off up onto the Rhayader mountain road with twenty odd miles to complete. Today we didn't take the scenic run around the Elan Valley as that would have added another half hour to the ride. That meant a final climb up and over before a sketchy descent off the mountain. Arriving into Rhayader it was dry. No rain here all day! Getting changed out of our wet things the rain caught us up. I headed back over the mountain road in dire conditions now with torrents of rain lashing down. Margaret was waiting patiently so we stowed the bike and returned the borrowed coats. Just a small matter of the drive home after an epic that shouldn't have been. Stern letter to the Met Office forecasters now. 83 smiles which I did enjoy despite the weather although that section of being cold wasn't so wonderful.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Twenty three miles today, the ride was slightly shortened due to real life intruding earlier on. It’s a guilt thing really, other things to do after one. Which would never sell as a chocolate coated terrible tasting after dinner morsel, would it?

So, out on the fixed today with the vague idea of a ride through Barwick in the downhill direction, and not taking more than a couple of hours to do it. A bit of history, I lived in Seacroft until I left school. Barwick in Elmet was no distance away at all, distinctly scruffier in those days and the road through it led nowhere interesting. Time moves on. So, this morning I lurched around Holbeck until the bike was pointing across the river, rode up to the Oakwood Clock and more up to cross the Ring Road. Turn right on Red Hall Lane, all very much like my previous ride but this time I turned right at the end of Skeltons Lane to ride a short stretch of the A 64 to the turn off for Scholes. No matter which way the village is ridden, it is up and then down, from the north as today it is up to cross the defunct railway line. The rise starts again once through the village, and then downhill through Barwick to the maypole, and the church where I turned left to approach Potterton.

It really is a nice road, despite the surface being a bit less than perfect. A reasonably bright sky this morning, a kind breeze and very little traffic made the journey pleasant indeed. All good things do end, this at the junction with the A 64. Has to be done, ride west back to Thorner Lane and then return home on the reverse of the route out. All the way around this morning there were sundry signs scattered around the roads warning of road closures for Leeds Festival in Bramham Park. I think I will arrange a suitable hibernation for that week, riding a bike might be a little stressful. Or maybe restrict the rides to north of the Wharfe. That is a much better idea. Grin improvement therapy, let’s see if it works.

For the very patient, a map.

07082017.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Only 1 more day off before I have to return to work post holiday, so figured I'd best get my metric century in for the month. I did the metric half last week, and that was hard enough having had a rather low bike mileage 2 weeks away, so it came as no surprise to find the century ride was also tough, though I did opt for a rather lumpy route. Out just after 0800hrs, I headed out through Lyne, taking the Trys Hill - Accommodation Road route round to Stonehills before heading out onto a new road for me leading out to Lightwater. From there is was Red Road with it's lumps and bumps before heading towards Deepcut where some fantastic riding roads awaited. Back home via Pirbright and a few laps of WGP to make up the miles an get some climbing metres in. 106.4km done with 811metres of climbing. After lunch I was allowed to do some decorating, which also included the need to pedal into town, so 71 miles for me today all told:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not today's ride but a report from Friday night - Saturday.

5 of us, Myself, @rb58 , @mark st1 , @sagefly and Sandra (Not of this parish). Jumped on the 9.30pm Friday night train to Norwich. Bikes safely stored in the guards compartment, we spent the next 2 hours on the noisiest quiet coach known to man. Populated by tv watching numpties and 2 chattering Uni students who didn't shut up the whole journey. Even the TV watching numpties got peeved with them and buggered off to another carriage. As one of our party said, 'Are we in a Dom Jolly sketch'.

Anyway, the train pulled into Norwich at 11.30 at night. The plan was simple... ride home.. first heading east towards Great Yarmouth and the coast and following the coast round and down to Essex.

Fuzzy photo of the gang in Norwich Station
20616766_10155051645165958_3607156063471662526_o.jpg

The first leg of the journey was quite easy and good going. We were troubled by a little headwind and the roads were rolling rather then hilly. But the 38 miles to Lowestoft, our first port of call was relatively easy going. Managing a fair 17mph average.

Once at Lowestoft we hit the 24hr Asda, no coffee machines here which was a disappointment.. boo to that. Never mind, other fun was to be had anyhow.
20526044_468953843476820_7460807634549538756_n.jpg

At 2.30am in the morning, Lowestoft seemed to be having one big party... It seemed the whole town was out getting the beers in and having a bloody good time. There was party people out everywhere. One inebriated young chap pointing at us shouting 'Why are there cyclists out at this time of morning?'. He's probably still wondering... or not.

On to the next leg to Martlesham just north east of Ipswich, a leg of 40 miles taking in such darkened delights such as Southwold, Theberton, Snape and Sutton Hoo. Ending up at the 24hr Tesco. This time managing to find a coffee machine in the garage. It was much needed as we all seemed to agree that this leg proved to be very hard work, the night riding dozies hitting all of us.

By the time we left the weather had turned and it had started to drizzle, but it was now light so made for easier riding. It's amazing the difference a coffee and daylight can make when long distance cycling.

We got to Ipswich and for half an hour the heaven's decided to throw more rain down on us. Not heavy rain but rain never the less. But at least it wasn't cold.
Ipswich passed by fairly quickly, stopping only to take a picture of the Orwell Bridge.

20170805_070702.jpg

20170805_102001.jpg

The third leg was even more thigh sapping rolling roads and even more drizzle. A classic case of jackets going on, coming off, going on, coming off and so forth. A right pain in the butt. Either get wet or boil in the bag. This leg was down to Tiptree, passing through towns such as Holbrook, Brantham, Cattawade, Manningtree, Bromley and the delights of Colchester.
Once at Tiptree 9.30am at 118 miles in, we decamped to the very excellent and very friendly Exchange Cafe, where we were fed full English brekkies.
Scuze rain soaked camera pic.

20545604_10155052717900958_2263015729461994465_o.jpg

So after a leisurely brekkie, it was time to hit the road for the leg into London. Roads that myself and Ross have done a fair few times before. No need to follow a gps for this part of the ride. We were all tired by now and the long night and morning had started to take it's toll. This little part of Essex is also quite rolling. But we kept at it. Camaraderie helping us along. By now the average speed had dropped and we were managing 15 and a halves. Still fairly decent.

After the short, sharp shock climbing delight of Maldon, Ross and Sandra decided they had done enough miles, just under 160. So the decided to get to the nearest train station and let the train take the strain. That left myself, Mark and Gregster to do the run in to London. So it was south west through Billericay and Satanford Le Hope to the urban wastelands. Not the greatest or most scenic part of the ride it must be said. We hit the town of delightful Grays in brilliant warm sunshine. So there was only one thing to do. Refreshment time. Hitting a pub that seemed to be stuck in the 70's. One where when you walk in the music stops and everyone stares at you. Lycra is not a good look in a Grays pub.

20615704_10155053011810958_5899020010110507909_o.jpg

Things were looking up. Were near to home and the sun is shining. Everyone is happy. Yeah right. Just after Dartford we hit Purfleet. And that's when the weather Gods decided to get most angry with everyone and threw their toys out of their prams by chucking everything that it had down out of the sky. Thunder, lightning, Hail, stair rod rain. It was weather mayhem for 20 minutes. There was nothing we could do except shelter under some trees and sit out and watch it pass.

1501937102059.jpg

It stopped and we were once again on our way, weaving through roads full of standing water and huge puddles. I think we all got a bit wet. Good thing I (and only I) decided to stick a raceblade on my bike, so less of the cold, rain botty crack drizzle for me.

As per usual in this part of East London, the traffic started to build up and block up. So a quick diversion down and around London City Airport was order of the day. Following the higgledy piggledy CS3 through the back streets all the way into town.

Once at Tower Bridge I said my good byes to both mark and Greg. It was only 15 miles from home now with 186 on the clock. Easy riding. It's almost my commute. But it wasn't going to be that easy. Oh no. Half an hour from home, the heaven's opened again and decided to throw more rain down. I couldn't be bothered to stop and put my jacket it on. It wasn't cold and I was pretty damp through anyway.

So. Home with 201 miles on the clock. It was a fair old ride. Tough in places, not helped by the rain, but jolly good fun never the less.
Thanks to my riding buddies. Ross the organiser of the route and ride, Mark, Greg and Sandra. Really great cycling companions. When you are a little downhearted on a long ride like this, these are the people to cycle with. Everyone was helping each other when hitting a low.

So here's a map and the scores on the doors. I was a little tired when I got home.
Map.jpg

And for me and Ross, that's the August qualifying ride for the Imperial Century Challenge done.

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc

5 of us, Myself, @rb58 , @mark st1 , @sagefly and Sandra (Not of this parish). Jumped on the 9.30pm Friday night train to Norwich. Bikes safely stored in the guards compartment, we spent the next 2 hours on the noisiest quiet coach known to man. Populated by tv watching numpties and 2 chattering Uni students who didn't shut up the whole journey. Even the TV watching numpties got peeved with them and buggered off to another carriage. As one of our part said, 'Are we in a Dom Jolly sketch'.

Anyway, the train pulled into Norwich at 11.30 at night. The plan was simple... ride home.. first heading east towards Great Yarmouth and the coast and following the coast round and down to Essex.

View attachment 366727

The first leg of the journey was quite easy and good going. We were troubled by a little headwind and the roads were rolling rather then hilly. But the 38 miles to Lowestoft, our first port of call was relatively easy going. Managing a fair 17mph average.

Once at Lowestoft we hit the 24hr Asda, no coffee machines here which was a disappointment.. boo to that. Never mind, other fun was to be had anyhow.
View attachment 366729
At 2.30am in the morning, Lowestoft seemed to be having one big party... It seemed the whole town was out getting the beers in and having a bloody good time. There was party people out everywhere. One inebriated young chap pointing at us shouting 'Why are there cyclists out at this time of morning?'. He's probably still wondering... or not.

On to the next leg to Martlesham just north east of Ipswich, a leg of 40 miles taking in such darkened delights such as Southwold, Theberton, Snape and Sutton Hoo. Ending up at the 24hr Tesco. This time managing to find a coffee machine in the garage. It was much needed as we all seemed to agree that this leg proved to be very hard work, the night riding dozies hitting all of us.

By the time we left the weather had turned and it had started to drizzle, but it was now light so made for easier riding. It's amazing the difference a coffee and daylight can make when long distance cycling.

We got to Ipswich and for half an hour the heaven's decided to throw more rain down on us. Not heavy rain but rain never the less. And at least it wasn't cold.
Ipswich passed by fairly quickly, stopping only to take a picture of the Orwell Bridge.

View attachment 366732

View attachment 366735

The third leg was even more thigh sapping rolling roads and even more drizzle. A classic case of jackets going on, coming off, going on, coming off and so forth. A right pain in the butt. Either get wet or boil in the bag. This leg was down to Tiptree, passing through towns such as Holbrook, Brantham, Cattawade, Manningtree, Bromley and the delights of Colchester.
Once at Tiptree 9.30am at 118 miles in, we decamped to the very excellent and very friendly Exchange Cafe, where we were fed full English brekkies.

View attachment 366736

So after a leisurely brekkie, it was time to hit the road for the leg into London. Roads that myself and Ross have done a fair few times before. No need to follow a gps for this part of the ride. We were all tired by now and the long night and morning had started to take it's toll. This little part of Essex is also quite rolling. But we kept at it. Camaraderie helping us along. By now the average speed had dropped and we were managing 15 and a halves. Still fairly decent.

After the short, sharp shock climbing delight of Maldon, Ross and Sandra decided they had done enough miles, just under 160. So the decided to get to the nearest train station and let the train take the strain. That left myself, Mark and Gregster to do the run in to London. So it was south east through Billericay and Satanford Le Hope to the urban wastelands. Not the greatest or most scenic part of the ride it must be said. We hit the town of delightful Grays in brilliant warm sunshine. So there was only one thing to do. Refreshment time. Hitting a pub that seemed to be stuck in the 70's. One where when you walk in the music stops and everyone stares at you. Lycra is not a good look in a Grays pub.

View attachment 366743

Things were looking up. Were near to home and the sun is shining. Everyone is happy. Yeah right. Just after Dartford we hit Purfleet. And that's when the weather Gods decided to get most angry with everyone and threw their toys out of their prams by chucking everything that it had down out of the sky. Thunder, lightning, Hail, stair rod rain. It was weather mayhem for 20 minutes. There was nothing we could do except shelter under some trees and sit out and watch it pass.

View attachment 366745

It stopped and we were once again on our way, weaving through roads full of standing water and huge puddles. I think we all got a bit wet. Good thing I (and only I) decided to stick a raceblade on my bike, so less of the cold, rain botty crack drizzle for me.

As per usual in this part of East London, the traffic started to build up and block up. So a quick diversion down and around London City Airport was order of the day. Following the higgledy piggledy CS3 through the back streets all the way into town.

Once at Tower Bridge I said my good byes to both mark and Greg. It was only 15 miles from home now with 186 on the clock. Easy riding. It's almost my commute. But it wasn't going to be that easy. Oh no. Half an hour from home, the heaven's opened again and decided to throw more rain down. I couldn't be bothered to stop and put my jacket it on. It wasn't cold and I was pretty damp through anyway.

So. Home with 201 miles on the clock. It was a fair old ride. Tough in places, not helped by the rain, but jolly good fun never the less.
Thanks to my riding buddies. Ross the organiser of the route and ride, Mark, Greg and Sandra. Really great cycling companions. When you are a little downhearted on a long ride like this, these are the people to cycle with. Everyone was helping each other when hitting a low.

So here's a map and the scores on the doors. I was a little tired when I got home.
View attachment 366750

And for me and Ross, that's the August qualifying ride for the Imperial Century Challenge done.

Well said sir ! Although walking into a rough tough London boozer dressed in soggy Lycra one an Aussie,one ordering a camp looking cider and one stinking out the bogs we were never gonna fit in from the off.

5 of us, Myself, @rb58 , @mark st1 , @sagefly and Sandra (Not of this parish). Jumped on the 9.30pm Friday night train to Norwich. Bikes safely stored in the guards compartment, we spent the next 2 hours on the noisiest quiet coach known to man. Populated by tv watching numpties and 2 chattering Uni students who didn't shut up the whole journey. Even the TV watching numpties got peeved with them and buggered off to another carriage. As one of our party said, 'Are we in a Dom Jolly sketch'.

View attachment 366727

View attachment 366729

We got to Ipswich and for half an hour the heaven's decided to throw more rain down on us. Not heavy rain but rain never the less. And at least it wasn't cold.

View attachment 366732

View attachment 366735

View attachment 366736

After the short, sharp shock climbing delight of Maldon, Ross and Sandra decided they had done enough miles, just under 160. So the decided to get to the nearest train station and let the train take the strain. That left myself, Mark and Gregster to do the run in to London. So it was south east through Billericay and Satanford Le Hope to the urban wastelands. Not the greatest or most scenic part of the ride it must be said. We hit the town of delightful Grays in brilliant warm sunshine. So there was only one thing to do. Refreshment time. Hitting a pub that seemed to be stuck in the 70's. One where when you walk in the music stops and everyone stares at you. Lycra is not a good look in a Grays pub.

View attachment 366743

View attachment 366745

View attachment 366750
Well done everyone, I need a lay down just after reading it.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday - 108km - taking in Great glen - Houghton on the hill - Cold Newton - - somehow missing the turn to Marefield :sad: - Tilton on the hill - Loddington - alexton - eyebrooke reservoir (pictured) - Great Easton - Nevill Holt (nice climb!) - Medbourne - Foxton - Gumley - Saddington - Arnesby Countesthorpe - home. Lovely ride - didn't expect to go so far so only took 750ml of water with me. Was starving when I got home - but had a lovely ride nonetheless :smile:

Attachments

• eyebrooke august.jpg
    eyebrooke august.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 62

13 rider

Guru
My ride yesterday - 108km - taking in Great glen - Houghton on the hill - Cold Newton - - somehow missing the turn to Marefield :sad: - Tilton on the hill - Loddington - alexton - eyebrooke reservoir (pictured) - Great Easton - Nevill Holt (nice climb!) - Medbourne - Foxton - Gumley - Saddington - Arnesby Countesthorpe - home. Lovely ride - didn't expect to go so far so only took 750ml of water with me. Was starving when I got home - but had a lovely ride nonetheless :smile:
I rode the lanes around Cold Newton and Marefield on Sunday for the first time and loved it . Never heard Nevill Holt called a nice climb ! . Did you do the steep bit I did it on a sportive at 90 miles and it was hard people were walking that one

@Racing roadkill you seem to use relive a fair bit. Have you had any rides not upload at all in particular the longer ones ?
Yes, if I use a swear word in the title, they don't upload. Other than that, I don't think I've had any not upload.

Glow worm

Legendary Member

View attachment 366727

View attachment 366729

View attachment 366732

View attachment 366735

View attachment 366736

View attachment 366743

View attachment 366745

View attachment 366750

The kind of ride and write up that deserves 2 'likes' - Chapeau!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I rode the lanes around Cold Newton and Marefield on Sunday for the first time and loved it . Never heard Nevill Holt called a nice climb ! . Did you do the steep bit I did it on a sportive at 90 miles and it was hard people were walking that one
think so, only the second time I've done it in that direction....a few nice climbs....the one up from Cold Newton is always fun!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well for the first 30 seconds of my ride today it wasn't raining, then it went downhill all the way after that. I went to Llanbrynmair today, which is somewhere i havn't been for well over a year now. Turned down onto the Pandy road which is basically just a one car lane that goes all the way up to the brigands Inn at Malwyd going towards Dollgelau. There isn't much traffic wise, people, or houses, and certainly no shops or cafes. The heavens opened up for the whole of my ride, but 10 miles done anyway. A tad chilly as well.
20170808_112715.jpg
20170808_110808.jpg
20170808_110443.jpg
20170808_105138.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ride report: London-Edinburgh-London 2017 https://www.strava.com/activities/1116993799

Now I’ve caught up on sleep and had a chance to stop it is probably time for a brief report. Thanks to everyone who commented, followed my updates and tracked me: it was appreciated.

The London-Edinburgh-London is the biggest UK event with up to 1500 riders this time taking a route from Loughton in north London through the east coast, across the Pennines at Thirsk to near Carlisle (Brampton) and back north-east to Edinburgh, returning to England via a slightly different route in places. It runs every four years. Why? Because this sort of organisation takes time and it was incredibly well organised. Apart from the weather, which was why a number didn’t bother registering despite paying their entry fee. The fee included all meals at controls plus beds where available and mechanic support at some controls: https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

20621901_10159188389535437_80761877594153380_n.jpg

Having registered on Saturday, collected and filled my two drop bags for Brampton (north) and Thirsk (south), my brevet card and lunch – all of which were a simple process – my things were prepared. Only a few people knew that I wasn’t well: not only did I have my hip injury but I’d also hurt both Achilles a fortnight earlier so wasn’t anticipating completing the event. A session with my local physio to work on them beforehand had helped though. As a result I’d not ordered a jersey, now bought, but was planning to see how far I got then stay and volunteer. The target point at this time was Barnard Castle in Co. Durham.

20621999_10159188389210437_737014138603088518_n.jpg

Photo by Dean Clementson

At the start I look around my start group and I’m with a large group of Indian and Thai riders but very few on what I’d term ‘a decent road bike’. One rider, who finished, just left on a knobbly-tyred mountain bike. We’ve Bromptons, flat bar hybrids but not much else. Unbeknown to me at the back there’s 2 or 3 but that’s it. Hence the photo where I’m thinking “I’m on my own …”. We’ve just had our brevet cards stamped and scanned so are good to go. My Ridgeback Platinum, built from spare parts, had ridden a fast Paris-Brest-Paris and was OK for this with new wheels, crankset and a frame bag being the only changes.

20664824_10159188389630437_764547204862257744_n.jpg

The start time came and went: a car was blocking the driveway refusing to move. Eventually we were sent on our way and I did my usual setting off at a steady pace. Or rather I thought it was steady – after 100 metres I was on my own! The route turns uphill fast and after a couple of km a pair of riders joined me; Giorgio who finished and a French rider who simply sat on our wheels saying nothing.

The route meanders through Hertfordshire to St Ives in Cambridgeshire for the first control point at nearly 100km. An audax has a series of ‘controls’ to prove passage on the ride where a rider needs to obtain a stamp or purchase receipt on their brevet card. My card was in my back pocket being kept safe: as it was sunny this rapidly got re-located to the giant seat bag I have. Riding with Giorgio we chatted in half-English half bits-and-pieces with him proud of riding an English cross bike with 35mm tyres. At this point I recalled being warned about wider tyres being needed when considering 23mm or 25mm – this became evident when riding from Moffatt. The hope was that better road-rolling tyres would help whilst moving through the flat-lands of Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire.

Into St Ives, a brief meal and the all-important brevet card stamp and bar code scan. The Achilles was now starting to hurt … Food was fine with the control quiet and I stuck with Giorgio on and off through the flat part of Lincolnshire to Spalding until Horncastle when I’d planned a few detours off the route. The first saved me five minutes by going near the RAF base at Coningsby but going a different route into Louth from Horncastle didn’t work. An ice cream contemplating how daft I was for attempting this helped a little. Louth was the next stop, again a school which most controls were. Food, brevet card stamp, water, Facebook update and back on the road: here I was going via Grimsby to avoid some hills and again it didn’t work, losing 90 minutes on my planned times. Meandering through north Lincolnshire in the dark was good though and there’s some very pretty areas. By now the tail-wind had died and was replaced by showers, getting much cooler. I avoided one big shower by resting in a bus shelter and worked on a right Achilles that was now becoming painful.

Over the Humber Bridge and again my own route to Pocklington: the planned route was very hilly so I was going via South Cave and onto the A-road from Market Weighton. As long as a rider goes through the controls they’re free to design their own route. However, there was no support and unlikely to be anyone else with you if you are off-route.

The Pocklington control was getting busier, but still quieter than expected by the organisers. I kept being told that the ‘bulge’ being the majority of riders was further behind than expected. A tailwind should have helped initially but this was gone, to be replaced by showers. Again the routine of brevet card, food, water bottles and back onto the road. By now it was 2am and I’m getting sleepier: I’d not slept the night before due to noise in the hotel which meant I was facing two nights in a row without sleep. Also I was in pain from the right leg and anything hilly was difficult. Plans needed to change …

Official maps show the Howardian Hills as the route. I’d recce’d these in May on a ride from Thirsk so took my own route through Stamford Bridge and Easingwold. Lots of pretty north Yorkshire villages in the dark and onto the A19 for an 8 mile dash in the dawn. It did mean I missed the optional Coxwold control, which apparently was quiet but lovely, with a decent number of riders taking the same diversion as I did. Hitting Thirsk I decided to sleep for an hour, where at least I rested if not slept. This helped and it was onwards, and upwards, to Barnard Castle including a diversion to the official route that saw some riders heading onto the A1 by accident! Here I found Mauro, an Italian physio who had volunteered to help for the whole event. He took one look at the leg and went “is not good. I work on it”. An hour later the response was “is now OK. Come see me on the way back”. Brevet card, food, water bottles and back on the way feeling much more refreshed but with all the major climbs to come.

Out from Barnard Castle towards Alston there is Yad Moss and this is where my lack of decent gearing began to show. I rode Paris-Brest-Paris on 53:39 front with 11-28 rear. This time I’d gone with a 52:36 front and the same 11-28 rear but a lighter set of wheels due to my rear wheel breaking a spoke the week before. Basically I’d pinched my son’s new training wheels for the event, which he wasn’t happy with.

Much of the climb was taken slow and steady in first gear. Not stopping but going slowly – looking round and there are a few dots ahead and behind going equally slowly. That was fine but it would’ve helped to have a compact or wider cassette (or a triple) on a bike that weighed 18kg fully loaded. Slow, slow, slow and eventually, far later than anticipated, Alston came into view. Another optional control was here but it didn’t open until 8pm and this was only 2pm on Tuesday. I could wait in the showers or keep going. Time to push on …

My routing showed a left and right here. I took the right and it dumped me on the mountain bike track between Alston and Kirkhaugh – very pretty but slow and rough. Back onto the correct road and mostly down to Brampton, my first bag drop at 550km and scheduled sleep stop. Andy Callaghan was volunteering there (Calder Clarion and ex-Ravensthorpe CC) so we had a chat. Steve McCall (same club as me) was still riding, now behind me but catching up. Brevet card, food, water, re-stock the frame snack pack, new batteries, shower, change of clothes plus an attempt to sleep for 4 hours. No sleep came so after 90 minutes it was up and out again, heading to Scotland.

Possessing a Geography degree I should be able to find my way. But anyone who’s ever ridden with me knows I’ve the directional abilities of a blind snail. As a result coming out of Longtown I was more fascinated by the Scottish border sign than the turn for Gretna. It may have been the wagon lights in my eyes, but probably was my own stupidity. The road picked up, and up and I thought “Gretna’s on the flat”. About 5km of going up and I realise that my Garmin was telling me I’m off-route – but the head-torch was only lighting up the line. Oops! Back I went.

Onto the correct path and this rides through Gretna, onto Ecclefechan (no cakes as it’s 11pm) and along-side the M74/A74. Now that goes to Glasgow and was initially disconcerting but was the correct route. Given the rain there weren’t many other riders about: a couple of Italians who didn’t speak English and one other is all I saw on the leg to Moffatt. This leg was apparently very boring in the daylight, so I’m glad I saw it in the dark!

Moffatt was quiet at 2am with very few bikes in the racks. Usual routine and back out, despite offers of a bed: they had 200+ but only 20 filled. Soloing out into the night there was the climb of Glenbreck to do. My Garmin couldn’t tell me how far this was. Nor could my bike computer which had decided it didn’t want to work between St Ives and Brampton so any calculation needed me to detract 340 from the total: that’s fine if you’re awake but sleepy, no chance. All I could see on the climb was the small bit of tarmac in front of me as I went up, and up, and up. Over an hour in first gear and the top was a relief. The decision to go with battery-powered lights instead of a dynamo showed in places and this was one; the rate of failure for dynamo-powered light riders was higher however due to the heavy rain at times. There was a pair of rear lights ahead though, absolutely symmetrical – maybe a velomobile? There were several of these taking part but I’d not seen any to date. I caught them and no, it was another pair of Italian riders who managed to keep exactly 18” apart no matter what speed or direction. I don’t have those sort of skills!

Downhill and I’m tired. Very tired. I spot a lovely bus shelter in Broughton … taken! Eventually there’s a memorial garden near Halmyre Mains with a big bench: mine and I didn’t care about midges. 10, possibly 30, minutes later, an Achilles stretch and I’m feeling better. Back on the road to Edinburgh. I’d like to say this bit was lovely, but it wasn’t. Heavy rain and early traffic with close passes on a main road was concerning. What was worse was the cycle track – finding it I then hit a massive pothole in the rain with both wheels hitting hard. It won’t brake straight … is my wheel gone? There was only 3km to the control and I gingerly road the Ridgeback in. The mechanic, seeing a soaked rider, took over and sent me into the hall to dry out. Brevet card, food, water, etc. and I’m fine. The rain jacket, a newly-purchased Galibier Tourmalet, had again kept my upper half completely dry. Luminous yellow Gore overshoes meant I also had dry feet. Broken wheel? Nope. Bent wheel? No. Just the brake pad knocked out of place by the impact. Superstar Components wheels do tend to be tough despite the low spoke count and light weight. Brakes working and I’m all OK to continue. Needing sleep however I grabbed 90 minutes in a dormitory: this was the first time I’d slept since Friday with 3 days of no actual sleep.

The next stretch, from Edinburgh to Innerleithen, was lovely except for one thing. Great big climbs on quiet roads, the sun was out with only the odd rider around me. The problem? Headwind. It had changed and there was a strong headwind, which was to be facing me all the way back to Brampton. However, the road down to Innerleithen was amazing; it snakes down the mountain, through a golf course into a very pretty Scottish town. The control was great and had involved themselves – food, etc. later and I’m back out, refreshed and ready to go on.

Through to Eskdalemuir it was similiarly pretty and windy. An odd sight just before the control is a Tibetan Buddhist monastery – awaiting unexpecting riders. The control was staffed by local villages and was great: many of these have a local flavour and this was just the same. However, mustn’t tarry …

Over the next set of hills, Achilles now really hurting, through to Brampton. Gels needed, bars needed, more food and just keep going. Into England and things suddenly felt better: I’d done the Scottish leg of the trip. 900km done and only 550km to go. I’m convinced that much of long-distance riding is about mental attitude. Brampton was through in a flash (sorry!) and I set out for Alston, this time on the correct roads. The original plan was to sleep at Thirsk but I was about 5 hours behind an overly-ambitious schedule so was planning to use the Alston control instead. No more headwinds meant riding was easier and I picked up a group from Audax Hackney and hit Alston around 9.30pm. They were splitting up – two staying and two riding on – so I joined the riders ahead after a gel for the climb up Yad Moss into the dark. The reason? The road would be quieter at night.

A long trail of lights showed be the decision to be correct. There were about 30 riders all the way up the hill with an unexpected treat at the top: Drew Buck, of PBP legend, had parked his camper van and was handing out coffee and cake. Apparently he’d decided to give something back after the French had done likewise on PBP. I could’ve kissed him! Refreshed but now with a weird saddle squeak accompanying the bike it was the final bit of Yad Moss to climb and the long downhill to Barnard Castle and bed. Arriving around 3am I saw Mauro again to work on the Achilles “is OK now, go to the finish”, who appeared to have had less sleep than me, food and 3 hours sleep.

Onto Thirsk and I’m back with the Audax Hackney riders, who are a group of 4 again, until I call into friends near Newby Wiske for 30 minutes. Thirsk control, brevet, food and my second drop bag – shower and clean clothes and back out. Then disaster strikes: I rip my shorts on a wall avoiding a wagon. Do I continue? Buy a new pair? Or return to Thirsk? In the end I went back and changed into used 430km shorts for the final 400km leg.

Rain hits hard and the wind is picking up. It’s a strong headwind and I’m concerned: if this continues will the Humber Bridge be open? Will it get worse? Getting to Pocklington I hardly stop, just checking the weather, and head fast to the Humber Bridge. There’s riders also taking the South Cave route, although I stop for a cake in Market Weighton, with a steady stream heading over in the rain and a strong headwind on the Humber Bridge. I don’t like heights at the best of times – this wasn’t and I was on the road-side at a crawl! At this point I decided not to use my Grimsby detour but didn’t have a route, only directions and my memory from 2 weeks earlier. It needn’t have mattered: some kind soul has signposted the route through Barton-upon-Humber all the way to Louth. At this point I came along-side a rider weaving across the road – concerned I stayed with him but he got slower and weavier. I suggested he stopped, ate something, and I rode onto Louth, letting them know he needed sleep.

Mustn’t stop: the wind’s picking up and I don’t want a strong headwind across the fens. Dashing out of Louth I picked up a group of riders, only for them to take a different route. I’m now with 4 Thai riders who are mostly simply following my wheel. Then they weren’t. It was dark and windy, but dry. However the Achilles is now hurting and I need a stretch … along come a group of riders with the Thai’s following them. I jump on: there’s 60km to Spalding and it’s all headwind. The pace was quick, with only 3 of us arriving together into Spalding. They’re German (wondered why calls weren’t made) and were relieved to have someone help the pair of them on the front, rather than simply sitting on. However, one has broken a spoke and they were surviving on tablets to stay awake: I pass on my regards and head out solo leaving an almost-empty control with the main bulge well behind schedule. At this point I realised there was a chance for a sub-100 hour time, rather than just the 116 hour deadline I had.

Spalding south was windy, but less so than later on. The roads were silent so for the fourth night in a row I ride over-night across the dark fens lit by moonlight. There’s hardly anyone around: the only others I see are 3 riders from VC167 who are moving steadily. Good pace and a problem-free stretch meant I rolled into St Ives tired but happy with progress: it’s 7am Thursday and I’ve 24 hours left to ride the last 110km. Time for a short sleep; eschewing the offer of a bed (“I’d sleep for 10 hours” was my response) I had 20 minutes with my head down on the table.

Along the St Ives cycle-way, which follows the guided busway to and from Cambridge, pace is fast and the sun is out with the wind now gone. I’m aware it’s hitting riders further north and I’m glad I took the decision to ride on. Weaving through Cambridge rush-hour at 8am, more cyclists than cars, isn’t easy on a fully-loaded touring bike but it was on to the additional Great Easton control. 8km from here and I have a problem – my first flat. Getting the tube out was OK but I was clearly tired: I sat looking at the pump thinking “I know what this does, but I can’t remember how to use it”. Eventually, 15 minutes later, I’ve a bit of air in and limp to the control where they were happy to be busy: it was apparently very, very quiet. Fed with the sausage sandwich I’d be dreaming about since Thirsk (I’m easily pleased!) it was the final 38km leg to London. Now I know from PBP and my previous events I’ll try to do this fast; this was no exception and it was great fun. Only a short distance to go with lots of time I could’ve walked it, so at this point I could hurl the Ridgeback around. Faster, faster, faster … it didn’t matter that there was over 1400km in my legs.

20664714_10159188389910437_9163509458722598485_n.jpg

Flying into the start/finish point I got back in an official time of 99 hours and 31 seconds, although my GPS showed 98 hours, 59 minutes and 58 seconds. It didn’t matter: despite having a duff hip and sore Achilles I’d made it. The bike had got round another major event. And I needed sleep …

20638035_10159188390030437_4033669240466117576_n.jpg

Sadly the other riders I’d known to be starting struggled; they tried and whilst I feel sorry they couldn’t complete at least they started. The event had a 34% drop-out rate with only 55% apparently completing in their allocated time: it was brutal. And there’s always Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019.

For me the abiding memory will be that of the volunteers. Every single one, no matter which control point, was brilliant: ever helpful and cheery no matter how tired. Thank you to you all.

Last edited:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If I could get the strava flyby to play along, I'd be able to see which bits of the road we shared, @DCLane. I suspect we were fairly close together the whole time. If you set off with Andrew Wills' VC167s, we traded places at least once, because I've a good feeling you got back ahead of me.

Bloody uprights. You all look the same ;)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If I could get the strava flyby to play along, I'd be able to see which bits of the road we shared, @DCLane. I suspect we were fairly close together the whole time. If you set off with Andrew Wills' VC167s, we traded places at least once, because I've a good feeling you got back ahead of me.

Bloody uprights. You all look the same ;)

We almost certainly did pass each other, although you were further ahead most of the time; you passed me at Louth, I passed you at Pocklington, you re-passed at Brampton and I passed you at Moffatt. Both of us were at Edinburgh and Brampton at the same time as well. Oh, and you didn't stop at Drew Buck's camper van whilst I was there! I could've told you off for inspiring me to ride LEL.

We also shared a bedroom (hall) at Barnard Castle where I left you gently snoring!! Both at Thirsk, Pocklington and Great Easton at the same time and I finished just before you. I think you'd stopped shortly after Great Easton with another rider on an upright and I rode past.

I finished at 1.30pm on the Thursday in 99 hours wearing a green/white Ravensthorpe CC jersey - which was probably too high up for you to notice :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom