Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Nice ride today , light wind much appreciated.
Tree I always pass and think at Christmas how good that would look
Now crashed on the settee , what Sunday's are made for

IMG_2202.jpg
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2200.jpg
IMG_2198.JPG

Did you get your squares ? I'm begining to struggle now 23 miles to first square this morning!!

No, absolutely none!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I don’t get this convalescence stuff. 2 week’s off the bike with a chest infection and laryngitis. I’ve missed out on a 200 and a 100 Audax I was going to do too. I decided to break the stretch of inertia and get out in the sun today. Apart from an average of 4.7 to 5 miles walking (gardening) a day I’ve done nowt. So imagine my surprise when I smashed 21 Strava PBs. I didn’t feel I was trying, so I’m at a loss. Maybe it’s my new skooners (Sidi Buvel)

05534A8F-9791-47DD-88BA-6CDE28954FD7.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The 6 of us rode again today, this time Keith and Joyce were on their road bikes.
The first chilly 7 miles were the last 7 miles of yesterday's ride.
We crossed above the A14 and in to Fenstanton. After not very long at all we crossed the old bridge into St Ives

IMG_4854.JPG

We then had tea at The Riverside Tea Room
IMG_4856.JPG

It was great sat in the sunshine.

Down the guided busway and in to Cambridge via Jesus Lane and Trinity Street, Japanese tourists taking our picture!

Out of town via Trumpington, then into Grantchester where we stopped at The Green Man for a drink and a loo stop before heading back via Coton and Madingley Hill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1220808462

36 miles in the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_4857.JPG
    IMG_4857.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 64

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Only had an hour or so this morning, so just a local loop.

Stuck with the Road Comp and it's mudguards, as although it was dry I anticipated the roads where I was heading being filthy...

Coal Road (again), but then onto Skeltons Lane and down Sandhills into Thorner - a mile of downhill is never a bad thing, but if only the tarmac wasn't quite so lumpy...:hyper:
Through the village on Main Street and onto Milner Lane for the sharp climb up onto the ridge and then between the hedgerows all the way to East Rigton, through the dip and up onto Compton Lane, staying on the ridgeline, where I stopped for a couple of pics:

IMG_20171008_092638447_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171008_092710307_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171008_092742080_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and up the slight rise and although the roads were covered in mud it was all dry which was a surprise after the rain yesterday.
The road meanders about a bit and then dips quickly to the Jewitt Lane junction, where a bloke on a hybrid was just huffing up the hill from Collingham. Sadly I didn't have time for that diversion, so turned right up the hill and then between the fields as it levels out past the piggeries (smelling extra ripe today).
Eventually this drops down onto Bramham Lane before climbing up to Thorner Lane where it was right again towards Holme Farm Lane and then onto Milner Lane heading back to Thorner.

Down the hill, then to climb back into the village where the church bells were ringing before turning right again at the Mexborough Arms onto Carr Lane for the run to the A58.
It felt like hard work on the initial climb out of the village, but I soon got into a rhythm and crested the hill, dropping down through the S-bends passing a club run in tight formation, resplendent in red and black kit, heading the other way. It then starts to climb again, pretty much all the way to Wetherby Road and although it didn't feel like anything special today I found I'd set a PB along there when I got home.
So, three PB's in two days on the "second" bike :okay:

Along the A58 for a few hundred yards and up onto Coal Road, before dropping down onto local roads to home.

15.27 miles (24.57km) in 1h 4m at an average of 14.3 mph with 692ft climbed

A good ride and an hour well spent. Surprised how mild it felt after yesterday and the dry roads were an unexpected bonus, plus it puts me through 1,900 miles for the year so that revised target of 2,000 miles is getting closer ^_^

And to end, the map:
08102017.JPG

Last edited:
100km ride to Windsor and back.

3 of us set off at 9 this morning. I had plotted the route to Windsor, trying to keep it as cycle friendly as possible but being Windsor and looping around Slough we had some built up/urban cycling as well as country lanes & B roads which did make for a great ride. Nice to cycle through Old Windsor & see the castle as well as a proper river!
We had a few hills there & back as we cycled through Buckinghamshire & back into Hertfordshire, and I enjoyed cycling to somewhere new.

So, 64 miles non stop at 16.4 average speed

View attachment 377658

View attachment 377655
Well done, good ride
I was born in old Windsor! You woul've gone right past it if you went up Crimp Hill!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Marches Grimpeur Audax

My legs didn't want to get going as we rode away from the start in Abergavenny. It didn't help that it was uphill too. Nevertheless it was a super autumn morning with blue skies, sunshine and hardly any wind. The group began to thin out as we all set our own pace on the ups. By the time we started climbing Campston Hill riders were well spaced out. The first checkpoint was "manned" by a lovely lady and her son. That signalled a descent to Skenfrith which cooled me a bit and meant a few miles in England before returning to Wales at Monmouth. So now there was a long climb to Trellech. With that complete the descent into the Wye valley at Tintern was rather stunning through the lovely woodland. The cafe in Tintern had been invaded by Sunday Clubs. Nice to see all those riders but it did mean our refreshments were significantly delayed. They arrived eventually and were worth the wait.

Departing from the Valley meant another climb way up through Devauden. Topping it all off was a very steep pull to Shirenewton. The following climb from Llanvair Discoed took us to the highest point of the ride. But - no it wasn't all downhill from there. At the bottom in Usk I was gasping for fluids so popped into The Nag's Head where they happily filled my bottle. Now the route followed the Usk but took in some hills as it cut off some meanders. Legs were tiring but there was a final sting in the tail as it was necessary to climb again quite steeply in places before sweeping down into Abergavenny and the Arrivee, cups of tea and bikkies. Where was the cake?

This was a nice but challenging ride with climbing totaling 6385 feet. The views were stunning of the Welsh mountains and of the Severn Estuary. We rode mostly in quiet lanes in beautiful countryside and woodland and through some historic and picturesque villages. What's not to like? 65 smiles

Mike_P

Guru
The sun decided to lurk behind a big brooding black cloud which thankfully had obviously dispensed of a quantity of its contents elsewhere and was just floating in the sky without intent. Go Pro seemed to go in sympathy with the cloud - no video, no freeze frames as a result but heres a shot of the Defy
defy comp.jpg

16.7 miles on a well worn route, west along Penny Pot Lane, south and uphill past the Sun Inn, east along Watson Lane looping onto Broad Dubb Road for the climb to Little Almscliffe then downhill on Norwood Lane to Beckwithshaw and a looping route through the western suburbs of Harrogate, incidentally passing the location of the accident which caused my broken collarbone (and the writing off of the Defys original front wheel).
1050 (Strava) feet climbed bringing the years measly total to the equivalent of four times up Snowdon.
8 Oct route.jpg

8 Oct elev.jpg

Last edited:
We crossed above the A14 and in to Fenstanton. After not very long at all we crossed the old bridge into St Ives
View attachment 377682
A very interesting view of the rear, with the door, & railed Balcony
'Our' Chantry Chapel doesn't have those, but the bridge has been widened twice (note differing arches)
It's still in use, for some services, with christenings/weddings by special arrangement
Chantry Chapel. 2.jpg Chantry Chapel. 6.JPG Chantry Chapel. 8.JPG

Only had an hour or so this morning, so just a local loop.

Stuck with the Road Comp and it's mudguards, as although it was dry I anticipated the roads where I was heading being filthy...

Coal Road (again), but then onto Skeltons Lane and down Sandhills into Thorner - a mile of downhill is never a bad thing, but if only the tarmac wasn't quite so lumpy...:hyper:
Through the village on Main Street and onto Milner Lane for the sharp climb up onto the ridge and then between the hedgerows all the way to East Rigton, through the dip and up onto Compton Lane, staying on the ridgeline, where I stopped for a couple of pics:

View attachment 377702 View attachment 377703 View attachment 377704

Back on the bike and up the slight rise and although the roads were covered in mud it was all dry which was a surprise after the rain yesterday.
The road meanders about a bit and then dips quickly to the Jewitt Lane junction, where a bloke on a hybrid was just huffing up the hill from Collingham. Sadly I didn't have time for that diversion, so turned right up the hill and then between the fields as it levels out past the piggeries (smelling extra ripe today).
Eventually this drops down onto Bramham Lane before climbing up to Thorner Lane where it was right again towards Holme Farm Lane and then onto Milner Lane heading back to Thorner.

Down the hill, then to climb back into the village where the church bells were ringing before turning right again at the Mexborough Arms onto Carr Lane for the run to the A58.
It felt like hard work on the initial climb out of the village, but I soon got into a rhythm and crested the hill, dropping down through the S-bends passing a club run in tight formation, resplendent in red and black kit, heading the other way. It then starts to climb again, pretty much all the way to Wetherby Road and although it didn't feel like anything special today I found I'd set a PB along there when I got home.
So, three PB's in two days on the "second" bike :okay:

Along the A58 for a few hundred yards and up onto Coal Road, before dropping down onto local roads to home.

15.27 miles (24.57km) in 1h 4m at an average of 14.3 mph with 692ft climbed

A good ride and an hour well spent. Surprised how mild it felt after yesterday and the dry roads were an unexpected bonus, plus it puts me through 1,900 miles for the year so that revised target of 2,000 miles is getting closer ^_^

And to end, the map:
View attachment 377714
A damned fine ride!!

When I was driving home from the 'Withins' this afternoon, I passed someone on of those, it looked rather bright, on the overcast day, between Haworth & Bradford
It was a member of Drighlington BC, on the A629, at Denholme

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After a little bit of a slow start to the month today was challenge ride time.:hyper:

The forecast looked pretty much perfect with light winds, sunshine and even a little bit of warmth expected. I wanted to do something that needed little in the way of planning so was up and out on the road for 7am and headed to do the anti-clockwise version of my South Shropshire loop.

From past experience, this route isn't the required 100 miles unless I add on a bit of extra riding at some point. I prefer to get it in at the start of the ride where ever possible so headed for Condover to start with before turning north to Atcham and Uffington then swinging west along the old canal path, avoiding the rough section by cutting across to Sundorne Road (quiet at this time on a sunday) and heading towards the riverside and The Quarry. Here the marquees and everything were set up for the OktoberFest which @gavgav attended yesterday. I didn't stop but carried on out of town on my way to Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Pentre and Melverley.

Having done this route in some quite ropey conditions it was very nice and easy today and I made good progress. At Westbury I headed southwards for Montgomery and found an unexpected headwind (probably the way the air flows around the Long Mountain) and a surprising number of drivers who seemed to think they were Colin McRae.:wacko:

Things were a little better once off that road and onto the one through Chirbury to Montgomery. I had a break for a bite to eat in my usual spot in Montgomery (a few cyclists about in the town including one who was walking and felt the need to tell me the hill had beaten him). Onwards again and after past experiences I took the road to Bishop's Castle easy this time having been caught out by how deceptively difficult it is in this direction (love it going the other way :okay:) There were signs up warning of a cycle event as I was leaving the town but nothing in evidence.

After the initial bit of gentle climbing the road to Lydbury North is brilliant with the gradient either level or slightly in our favour. I got on at a good pace and was soon in the village where I overtook a pony and trap. Should have stopped to get a photo of that really but was enjoying myself too much.

Following a drink stop at Kempton I finally started to see riders from the cycle event around the Purslow area (edit to add that it appears this was the Storm The Fort duathlon) and was greeting groups for a few miles before I turned away from their route to head for Leintwardine. Lunch stop here on the green opposite The Lion (Still 40 miles to go and I might not have made it it if I'd succumbed to the temptation of a pint :laugh: )

This route includes a couple of reasonably challenging climbs and the downside of doing it in this direction is that they are towards the end of the ride. The first off was the Mortimer Forest which is a climb of over 500 feet but rewarded with some good views at the top. After descending into Ludlow I had a good 12 miles of relatively flat riding to Peaton, Broncroft and Broadstone where the gradient ramps up again for the climb over Wenlock Edge which by this route isn't as high (210 feet of climbing) but is steeper and coming at about 95 miles was quite a test on the legs.

I made it though and enjoyed the descent to Wall under Heywood where I was onto very familiar roads to home. The hills by this point were a drag no matter how steep they were but there were some good long downhill sections to make up for that.

I was flagging a bit by the end and abandoned my idea of going round the village to round up the mileage.

108.87 miles at 13.6 mph average. My thighs ache now and the stairs are a problem.:laugh:

DSC0005198.jpg

At Atcham. The moon and some early mist over the flood plain.

DSC0005204.jpg

The Royal Hill near Pentre. Too early for a pint still.

DSC0005206.jpg
Brockton

DSC0005210.jpg

Bunner's at Montgomery

DSC0005216.jpg

Bishop's Castle

DSC0005220.jpg

Leintwardine

DSC0005221.jpg

Some fabulous Herefordshire countryside.

DSC0005222.jpg

The farmhouse at Pipe Aston with the hills of the Mortimer Forest behind. This is where the climbing starts.

DSC0005225.jpg

Ludlow

DSC0005227.jpg

Near to Broadstone and looking at Wenlock Edge which I have to get over next.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Mappleborough Green the destination, 57 miles the journey. A ride I spoilt slightly with a newby error a fella of my experience shouldn't be making, basicly I went off too fast at the start, an average over the first hour a smidge over 15mph is too fast for me these days and by the time I got to the cafe it was becoming obvious I'd burnt my legs out a bit. My route out took me through Balsall Common and onto the A4177 and through Shrewley before a right turn onto a lane I remembered from an Audax, and onto the A4189 for a short stretch before turning through Wootton Wawen and onto pennyford lane before turning through Little Alne then turning through Wawensmere and then back on the A4189 and onto the cafe. On the way back I turned left out of the garden centre then left on the little lane to come back on the A4189 the left through Ullenhall and on to Gentlemans lane and onto danzey Green then right onto Pig trot lane, at the top of the lane I turned right then left heading towards Hockley Heath then turned right to cross the A3400 and onto Wharf Lane then right and left and onto Vicarage road, at the end of the road I turned right though the grounds of Packwood house the left to go past Baddesley Clinton then left into netherwood Lane and onto Balsall Common. From there I followed on of my regular routes into and across Coventry home. By the time I got to Balsall Common my legs were fading fast, but it was a lovely morning for a bike ride and I enjoyed my ride.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/18265917

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After my usual late finish from w*rk, I set the alarm for 05:45... and 06:00. Sure enough, on the dot of just after 07:00, I woke up and got ready for my ride :whistle:

The day was as planned as I like to plan it, ie, sort of organised, but not quite.
Initially, I headed around the south of the town and onto the Brampton Valley Way, dodging the Sunday morning dog walkers, who were all in a good mood today, and even said hello as I rode past!

IMG_3758.JPG

This container is by the road crossing near the Windhover pub.
On the way to Market Harborough, 12 or 13 miles to the north, I rode through the two old railway tunnels.

IMG_3759.JPG

I'd fitted my lights, so it was no problem I've ridden them without lights a few times. It's amusing attempting to not bounce off the walls :laugh:

Once into Harborough, my plan was to find a few new roads to ride. Sustrans 64 through Little Bowden was really nice, with a couple of cafe stops in the village (that I didn't stop at as it was too soon, but filed them away for future coffee drinking!)

Sadly, along one part of the road, I was warned by a passing rider that there was a cyclist down further up the road. When I reached the spot, a local club were gathered around an ambulance that was taking one of their group to hospital. I stopped for a minute, but didn't enquire exactly what the injuries were. They didn't seem to be too worried, apart from the obvious concern of what had happened their friend, so, with luck, it wasn't very serious. Hopefully, a full and speedy recovery will ensue.

IMG_3770.JPG

My first stop was in Medbourne, where the village PO and shop does hot drinks, cakes, rolls etc. plus scotch eggs! (Open 7 days a week, if you're passing)
And free bird sh*t on the benches ^_^

Just by here, there's a couple of routes to my half way destination. The Cat 4 hill up to Neville Holt school is quite scenic, & quite long and steep. As I had Rockingham Hill in my sights a few miles later, I skirted around it this time :whistle:

After Great Eastern, it's only a short pedal to Cottingham, where the 'A' road to Corby heads up the hill. Last time I rode up, I was on 70 miles. This time, on 40 miles, it was a tad 'easier', and I was pleased to get a PB.
I had to use a couple of busier bits of road to get back into the villages, but apart from passing a smallish fast food/retail complex that was quite busy, all went well..
On towards Deene, then half a mile on the busy A43 to turn right into Bulwick and back on quieter roads to Southwick, where the World Conker Championships were taking place.

IMG_3777.JPG

Nearly at my destination!

IMG_3779.JPG

The Holy Grail of conkers :becool:

IMG_3781.JPG

With added Morris Dancers :okay:

IMG_3784.JPG

And a Chelsea Pensioner or three in the competition... Watched by giant leprechauns :laugh:

IMG_3789.JPG

Plus a New Zealand fencing champion trying his hand at conkers.

Anyway... Back to the ride. After spending a while there, but without a bite to eat or drink due to the queues!, I headed homewards on a more straightforward route via Benefield and Brigstock. I'd passed an older couple out on their bikes as I left Southwick, and saw them again near Benefield. I rode alongside fora chat for a while, as you do, and then left them to tootle back home to Brigstock.
There's a few ups and downs on the road to Cranford, my most direct route home, but nothing too major though my legs were tiring a bit, I must confess. Still, only 20 or so miles home from there.
Nothing of great interest on the last miles apart from having to pass quite close to my place of work... I did think of popping in to grab a sandwich for 70p, but thought.....:stop::laugh:

Back home on 80 miles, my longest ride since the summer, in chilly but nice weather initially, followed by a few spots of rain, then clear and dry for the rest of the day.
My legs wish I'd have chosen the Defy 2 to ride instead of the CX, but... Hey Ho...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1221029055

:smile:

13 rider

Guru
After my usual late finish from w*rk, I set the alarm for 05:45... and 06:00. Sure enough, on the dot of just after 07:00, I woke up and got ready for my ride :whistle:

The day was as planned as I like to plan it, ie, sort of organised, but not quite.
Initially, I headed around the south of the town and onto the Brampton Valley Way, dodging the Sunday morning dog walkers, who were all in a good mood today, and even said hello as I rode past!

View attachment 377776

This container is by the road crossing near the Windhover pub.
On the way to Market Harborough, 12 or 13 miles to the north, I rode through the two old railway tunnels.

View attachment 377777

I'd fitted my lights, so it was no problem I've ridden them without lights a few times. It's amusing attempting to not bounce off the walls :laugh:

Once into Harborough, my plan was to find a few new roads to ride. Sustrans 64 through Little Bowden was really nice, with a couple of cafe stops in the village (that I didn't stop at as it was too soon, but filed them away for future coffee drinking!)

Sadly, along one part of the road, I was warned by a passing rider that there was a cyclist down further up the road. When I reached the spot, a local club were gathered around an ambulance that was taking one of their group to hospital. I stopped for a minute, but didn't enquire exactly what the injuries were. They didn't seem to be too worried, apart from the obvious concern of what had happened their friend, so, with luck, it wasn't very serious. Hopefully, a full and speedy recovery will ensue.

View attachment 377778

My first stop was in Medbourne, where the village PO and shop does hot drinks, cakes, rolls etc. plus scotch eggs! (Open 7 days a week, if you're passing)
And free bird sh*t on the benches ^_^

Just by here, there's a couple of routes to my half way destination. The Cat 4 hill up to Neville Holt school is quite scenic, & quite long and steep. As I had Rockingham Hill in my sights a few miles later, I skirted around it this time :whistle:

After Great Eastern, it's only a short pedal to Cottingham, where the 'A' road to Corby heads up the hill. Last time I rode up, I was on 70 miles. This time, on 40 miles, it was a tad 'easier', and I was pleased to get a PB.
I had to use a couple of busier bits of road to get back into the villages, but apart from passing a smallish fast food/retail complex that was quite busy, all went well..
On towards Deene, then half a mile on the busy A43 to turn right into Bulwick and back on quieter roads to Southwick, where the World Conker Championships were taking place.

View attachment 377779

Nearly at my destination!

View attachment 377780

The Holy Grail of conkers :becool:

View attachment 377781

With added Morris Dancers :okay:

View attachment 377785

And a Chelsea Pensioner or three in the competition... Watched by giant leprechauns :laugh:

View attachment 377782

Plus a New Zealand fencing champion trying his hand at conkers.

Anyway... Back to the ride. After spending a while there, but without a bite to eat or drink due to the queues!, I headed homewards on a more straightforward route via Benefield and Brigstock. I'd passed an older couple out on their bikes as I left Southwick, and saw them again near Benefield. I rode alongside fora chat for a while, as you do, and then left them to tootle back home to Brigstock.
There's a few ups and downs on the road to Cranford, my most direct route home, but nothing too major though my legs were tiring a bit, I must confess. Still, only 20 or so miles home from there.
Nothing of great interest on the last miles apart from having to pass quite close to my place of work... I did think of popping in to grab a sandwich for 70p, but thought.....:stop::laugh:

Back home on 80 miles, my longest ride since the summer, in chilly but nice weather initially, followed by a few spots of rain, then clear and dry for the rest of the day.
My legs wish I'd have chosen the Defy 2 to ride instead of the CX, but... Hey Ho...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1221029055

:smile:
If don't fancy the long steep climb up Nevill Holt you can do the shorter even steeper way from Draycott

Top Bottom