Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The plan was to get the half century ride done today. The reality was different. 3 miles in the legs decided they weren't happy, 5 miles was magic pill territory and turn for home. 8 miles:sad: Sore, but hopefully a gentle high street ride tomorrow will see it good as I hope to get the imperial century ride done Sunday....

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Day off today, but with lots to do a ride seemed unlikely, despite the glorious weather.

But then an hour came free this afternoon, so a quick change and out on the Giant.

Similar route to my last ride, Coal Road, Skeltons Lane and the long descent down Sandhills into Thorner.
Through the village which was as busy as I've seen it outside a Leeds Festival weekend and onto Milner Lane for the climb onto the ridge and between the hedges past Hetchell Woods.
I must have been going a bit quicker today, as I headed on past the Holme Farm junction and stopped just shy of East Rigton for a couple of quick photos as the Red Kites headed home overhead:
IMG_20181102_142559534_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181102_142621793_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20181102_142715921_BURST000_COVERg.jpg

Back on the bike and then reversed my outbound route all the way back home - I don't often do that, but despite the similarities the view is still different.
The climb up Sandhills was considerably slower than the earlier descent, but it's no longer the forbidding hill that it used to be.

A couple of motorised numpties apart, all good fun.

12.01 miles (19.33km) in 55m at an average of 12.9 mph with 466ft climbed and an almost tropical temperature of 8.9°C

You really wouldn't have known it was November today, absolutely glorious and a shame I only had an hour but glad I got out and squeezed a few miles in - today would have ben a grand day to get the half century challenge ride in, but what can you do? :rolleyes:
Tomorrow looks promising, if a bit breezy, so fingers crossed as I've got more time for a ride then.
Quite a few cyclists out and about too, which is always good.

And to end, the map:
02112018.JPG

A cheeky 20 miler in and around Littleport for me this morning - similar ride to Wednesday with the addition of a couple of extra loops.

Lovely out in the :sun: but the wind was a tad :cold: and kept on switching direction. Which meant that I was riding with a crosswind or headwind whichever way I went. :cry: You know it's going to be a tough one when you're going downhill (well, what passes for hills here) and you're on the small chain ring... :blush: After the overnight frosts, the roads were a bit slippy in places, especially in the shade. And Parson's Lane had been gritted (primary school and quack's surgery down there) so not only was the road wet, it was salty as well...

There were several narrow boats moored up at Sandhill, and quite a few people fishing from the bank. One chap was pulling them out, one after another... :ohmy: Plenty of cyclists out and about today, most on hybrids / city bikes doing shopping and stuff. I was the only one on a roadie, but down Station Road, encountered cheerful chap riding a recumbent that had a bright orange aerodynamic fairing. Never seen one of those before... :scratch:

Was so good to be out on the bike, and nice to take advantage of the reasonably clement conditions while they last. :smile:

P.S. Cleaned and lubed Wiggy after lunch on account of the salt down on the road.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Time for the November imperial century attempt (where has this year gone to?) and I got out yesterday to tackle it. I was in two minds about which bike to use and planned a flattish route on the assumption of using the knockabout bike but had the Raleigh ready as well in case of the roads being dry. The decider in the end was being woken at 5am by the gritter going round as I don't want to take the Raleigh out on freshly gritted roads.

I was on the road by 7am and headed out to Condover on quiet roads as the sun rose, before swinging round to Exfords Green on my way to Pontesbury, Minsterley, Westbury, Crew Green and Melverley. At this time of the morning in the week I often find that the main roads are quiet and the lanes are busy and today was no exception to that but those drivers I encountered were mostly pretty laid back and friendly.

After Melverley I was heading for Oswestry via Maesbury. I haven't ridden this way since early in the year as the road was closed for most of the spring and early summer for a new traffic light controlled junction to be built where it joins the A483. This all seems fine and makes it less nerve-wracking to cross on a cycle.

In Oswestry I briefly stopped at Cae Glas park to have a look at the new Wilfred Owen statue then pressed on through town which was quite busy. Got hooted at on Willow Street for being in the way. :rolleyes: Up by the hill fort there was a tractor doing hedge cutting so I got past that as soon as I could and worried about having picked up a thorn over the rest of the ride ( I got away with it for the rest of the ride at least).

I thought the wasps had finally gone for the season but after Gobowen they did seem to be putting up a good last stand against the elements and I needed to dodge a few of them. The NCN signs at the Iron Mills junction had been vandalised to point the wrong way. I thought I'd do a good deed and turn them back again but the one came off in my hand so I hung it back up and left well alone after that.:blush: I thought I'd take an alternative route to Crickett and enjoyed the change of scenery but took a wrong turning at the one junction and went half a mile the wrong way and downhill before realising.

Arrival at Ellesmere was timed just right for an elevenses stop on the promenade at The Mere then I carried on to Coptiveney and Welshampton along lanes that were a bit muddy in places but nowhere near as bad as I've seen them. I decided to take the direct route to Northwood where I turned for Whixall and Prees. The road to Prees had signs up saying the road was closed. I decided to risk it to see if I'd be allowed through the works but there turned out not to be any which suits me fine.:okay:

The lanes to Ightfield, Calverhall and Longslow were pretty quiet mostly. Lunch was eaten in a gateway with a bit of a view between Longslow and Longford. While there I couldn't help noticing the field gates were embossed with: "Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd. Not for sale/hire/loan." :whistle:

I took the long way through Market Drayton so as to see more than just housing estates, then left town past the golf club and south to Stoke Heath, Stoke-on-Tern, Ollerton, Eaton upon Tern then turned off to cross the A442 and head for Ellerdine Heath and High Ercall. Another short pause for some crisps and a banana on the way to Rodington Heath then I got slightly sidetracked by seeing signs saying "Model Railway" so I followed them to see what that was about (a model exhibition in the village hall today) which led to me riding a lane I've never been down before.

By this time I was feeling the miles in the legs so was slow to get going again after any stop. Being on familiar ground helped though as I headed through Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover and knowing that the roads woud be getting busy at this point on a Friday I decided to finish off over Lyth Hill so as to spend as little time as possible on the A49.

103.6 miles at 13 mph moving average (9.5 hours with stops included) on as nice a day as you could reasonably want in November (aside from the chilly start).^_^

PB020078.JPG

Near the start, the view to the Stretton Hills just before sunrise.

PB020079.JPG

Taking a break at Westbury.

PB020081.JPG

Near Melverley, looking towards the Breidden hills.

PB020085.JPG

As per the sign, the new Wilfred Owen memorial in his home town, unveiled to mark the centenary of his death a few days before the war ended.

PB020087.JPG

Nice at The Mere.

PB020090.JPG

Prees.

PB020091.JPG

Ightfield.

PB020097.JPG

Market Drayton.

PB020098.JPG

A rather incongruously named lane in Ellerdine Heath.

PB020099.JPG

Towards the end of the ride a bank of cloud rolled in giving this effect at Atcham.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride on my mountain bike. My legs felt fresh after last nights circuit training too.

Over the fields to Caldecote, thursdays rain has made the going soft. The clay clinging to everything on my bike. Up to Kingston and along the Wimpole way, then through the woods.

I was in 2 minds which way to go and at the last minute I decided to see if I could get the fastest strata time down to Eversden. I stood on the pedals in the biggest gear and gave it all I had. I was flying, but then a bloke and a loose dog came into view, so I had to ease off. Never mind!

Back up to the ridge on the Mares way
3A747470-C055-45C6-932F-A728FE4AAF7C.jpeg

Near Eversden church they were loading sugar beet onto a waiting lorry.

I slithered and slipped my way to the top of the hill, tyres getting wider by the minute. At the top I had to clean the clay from the brakes.

This view is at the top, looking NW to Hardwick and Camborne
77A1C43A-E305-4550-B2FE-19FED2B3CB75.jpeg

Down into Eversden and across the A603 then onto a byway up over the ridge between Orwell and Barrington, it was blowing at the top!
E9165E7B-3B92-4E06-8919-807501841448.jpeg

Down and around into Barrington and I took a new bridleway to me, but it only took me behind some houses.

On the way up Barrington hill I saw a red kite and a buzzard, the other birds of the ride were fieldfare and redwing.
8A98AE49-3DA1-45EA-BD14-A75DF9B5AD29.jpeg

Barrington church.

From Haslingfield toward Barton, but then I took another bridleway that was new to me. It was well looked after and in tip top condition. It went close to one of the telescopes at the Mullard observatory
FF106C1E-7E71-4551-A159-34D304DDB450.jpeg

Unfortunately the bridle way spat me out on to the A603, and into a screaming headwind for a bit. The cars were well behaved though.

Into Comberton. I was just rolling by the school when my front tyre deflated. I’ve had too many punctures lately.
Off with the wheel and I found 4 thorns in there. I’d ridden along a recently trimmed hedge up the Mares way about 5 miles back. Maybe they’d worked their way through eventually. My love for farmers decreased a bit!

Then it was back up the road from Toft to Hardwick
9E820026-F670-4D3B-A28B-210587E4B0EF.jpeg

23 and a bit miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1943034641

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E and me in the Green. Rob A, John G, Pete M and Jules H at the Pot. Steve called The Trioscape and with a strong breeze coming up from the south the plan was to take the sheltered route out. All good with catch up chat oiling the wheels until Pete unshipped his chain at the rear on the climb to Redmarley. Easily sorted it was just the drop away to Highleadon and our refreshments to complete.

The Trioscape staff were a bit shell shocked as they had just dealt with 90 riders from Cheltenham. But morale was still OK. We soon settled to our coffees and food choices as service hadn't been damaged. Heading back we took to Woolridge after Pete expressed a desire to see the views. Then we took a different route at Ashleworth as John and Rob were expected to turn off. They didn't so with a good tail wind we rode the Hams and on up through the school. Some confusion at The Hyde meant Jules vanished and despite my looking for him at Brotheridge Green he remained lost to us. The others carried on while I was doing this so I ended up on my own. I saw a rider heading over Tyre Hill and eventually I caught up at the Guarlford Road. It was John, so I was able to chat with him via The White House before parting to head for our respective homes. Quite a pleasant outing in good company today despite the confusion on the run in. 55 smiles

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Today seemed a good chance to get the November ride in for the Half Century Challenge, so out just after 9 on the Giant.
A touch warmer than yesterday, but a lot windier and within a mile of home I was trying to figure out a route that wasn't going to involve too much battling into it.
Coal Road, Skeltons Lane and the A58, the Whin Moor Lane to Shadwell where I stopped to try and locate an annoying click. I couldn't find owt so got on my way, but it reappeared at random through the rest of the ride.
Up to Slaid Hill lights, then a quick squirt through the dip on Wike Ridge Lane, before turning onto Tarn Lane along the top to Scarcroft.
Down Ling Lane, then the long descent on the A58 through Bardsey and into Collingham giving it full beans as I was being assisted by the wind.
Left in Collingham and round to the bridge over the Wharf into Linton, which was as lumpy as ever but my mind was distracted by three separate close passes by 4x4 drivers :dry:
Into Wetherby and a loop around the town centre with yet more motorised morons and kamikaze pedestrians to the point that I abandoned plans to stop at the Wilderness for a break and carried on straight up Walton Road over the A1(M) and past the racecourse.
I'd been largely wind assisted by this point, but as I turned for Thorpe Arch past the prison I got my first real push back from the wind. Blimey, it was a bit blowier than I'd thought but fortunately this bit is mostly downhill.
A bit of road rage was unfolding at the Dowkell Lane junction where a van driver was stopped in the middle of the road giving his expert opinion to a sports car driver. I slowed down wondering how up to speed my diplomacy skills were, but on seeing me he drove off.
Up the ramp to the church, then down into the village and down again over the bridge getting a clear run across and up the other side into a rather busy Boston Spa, where a dogleg on Main Street saw me onto Clifford Road and then Clifford.
Up through the village and down the other side into Bramham, then the climb back out again, before stopping for a Snickers and a stretch at the bench by the A1(M) bridge. It was busy here today, lots of cyclists and motorcyclists out, no doubt making the most of the dry day.
I was starting to feel it a bit now and that wind wasn't letting up so I started thinking of the shortest route that would bag a metric half and avoid too much more fighting the weather. I had initially thought about taking Paradise way due south to Bramham Crossroads, but that would have been straight into the wind, so elected to head over the bridge and head for the Thorner, taking the long way round.
It gently climbs up along the boundary wall of the Bramham Park estate and at every gate I was buffeted by a stinker of a crosswind, so I was glad to reach the relative shelter of the wooded area.
Across onto Thorner Lane and powered through the lesser of the Wothersome dips, before the steady incline to Jewitt Lane where I turned right, got a good lick up dropping down to the junction then had to scrub off all that lovely speed as there were a couple of horses approaching. I slowly passed them and slowly climbed up the other side, but at least I was now enjoying a push in the back from the wind.
Left onto Compton Lane, mainly sheltered from the weather by the hedges and just before Rigton Green realised that I hadn't taken any pics today, so stopped at the bench:
IMG_20181103_105940126_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20181103_105958152_BURST000_COVER-ANIMATION.gif
IMG_20181103_110035335_BURST000_COVER.jpg

It would have been a lovely day if it wasn't for that pesky wind!

Anyway, back on the bike and down to the junction, then an almost U turn onto Bramham Lane and what is one of my favourite normally deserted lanes all the way back to Jewitt Lane, where another right turn saw me climb up onto Holme Farm Lane, then onto Milner Lane and down off the ridge into Thorner.
Through the village and staying on the Main Street to the foot of Sandhills where there is no option but to grind your way back up the hill.
Skeltons Lane again, slightly helped by a 3/4 wind from behind, then back into it for Coal Road and local roads down to home.
As I turned into my street I saw I was just short of a metric half, so a long loop around the block sorted that.

31.40 miles (51.53km) in 2h 33m at an average of 12.3mph with 1,627ft climbed and an average temperature of 9.9°C

All good, although I'd argue that the forecast wind speed of "13mph" was sorely underestimated :rolleyes:
Really glad to get the November ride in for the Half Century Challenge too, as you never know what the weather has in store at this time of year.

An to end, the map:
03112018.JPG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterdays disaster I wanted to check the legs this morning, so off to ALDI it was with my lad in tow. No leg issues, and by the time we'd stocked up on cheese and gotten home it was time for the usual high street bread run plus a visit to the plumbers. 12 miles this morning. A bit of bathroom DIY and I need more bits, so back to the plumbers. Noted that I was only 5.9miles short of last years total mileage, so the extended route into town and home saw 6.2 miles done, and brings this year to 6,734.4 miles:smile:
Fingers crossed for good legs and weather tomorrow, long ride time

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
72.5 miles today, with Paul, Jem and Jez. We entered the Theo Nelson audax from Tewkesbury that went over to the heart of the Forest of Dean, taking in 1,200 metres of proper climbing on the way, returning via Ledbury in Herefordshire and a little bit of Worcestershire at Hollybush.
322 With Paul, Jem and Jez at Parkend.JPG

After the above control point at Parkend, I realised I was getting a saddle sore. With 35 miles and most of the climbing still to come, I desperately tried to shift my weight and find a comfortable riding position ... but ended up just having to grin and bear it, as every new position I took up caused me to cramp somewhere or other in my legs. I struggled a bit from then on, and appreciated all the encouragement and patience from my fellow riders. By the time I'd managed to climb up out of Lydbrook to Joys Green, the others had taken on refreshments and had a good rest .....
323 Near Ruardean.JPG

...... and made a new friend:
324 Donkey.jpg

Tired, aching, sore and weary now .... but still in the Metric Century a Month Challenge.
Cheers, Donger.

Yesterday had the annual Family Hisotry Society Open day which I help at.
I let Strava help me plan the outward route, between it and the garmin, they made a hash of it

It was windier than I expected
The fair is in Woking, and somehow ti made it 20 miles by the time I got there.
Return journey later I dreamed up a rout e of my own about 14 miles, avoiding some of the busier roads

34.78 miles in total, only 15.1 mph average 945 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1943570852

Top Bottom