Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
E5122E09-2856-4233-913E-B15342A410ED.jpeg
0B47C155-DADE-44CB-8718-4A2C0D815C51.jpeg
0CDAF6F4-6DF8-4807-A880-9F253E6ADCC1.jpeg
3E2D1064-B3BD-49D1-A7DC-93EF8F5AB256.jpeg

I’ve not ridden my old Trek for over a year now so a quick dust off and lube up for a lunchtime ride. 30 miles with an average of 16.3 mph. Still a fab bike to ride.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Due to problems on two of my more preferred bikes, I was 'forced' to ride an auld Bianchi today. It's the only one I've got equipped with a 53/39 - 11/26 groupset so I chose the flattest route I could and was pleased I did.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3730531130

Here's my collection of bikes...

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 20

AndreaJ

Veteran
Had plenty of time today, the rain had finally stopped, the sun was shining and the wind had died down so thought I would try to do a 50km route after being just short last time. I planned 2 detours in the middle which should do it. I set off towards Whixall and through to Fenns Bankback over the canal to Alkington, Hollinswood,Lower Houses, Coton then first detour to Coton Wood, back into Whixall where I found the reason for all the road closed signs, any nice smooth roads with new tarmac and no potholes have been surface dressed so were all covered in loose chippings! the council seem to ignore the fact that the adjoining roads have no road surface though, then onto Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank, Highfields over The Lowe towards Wem, through Wem and taking the 2nd detour over the railway crossing to Aston, Barkers Green, Palms Hill back towards Wem but turning for Tilley, Nonely, Loppington, English Frankton towards Colemere past the sailing club where I found the only numpty of the ride pulling out of the car park for Colemere she looked at me then still pulled out in front of me luckily I had seen her and expected her to do it. Carried on to Lyneal, Northwood and back home just as it was starting to rain. 33.25 miles, average speed 16mph so was just over the planned 50km, not bad for another guess at the distance . Lots of cyclists out this morning..Glad I went this morning as monsoon weather has returned to Shropshire this afternoon.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A beautiful day to be in the saddle here today. I planned a 50 mile loop into deepest Suffolk. With a mini-tour coming up in a couple of weeks I need to up my game fitness wise!

First through Dullingham, Woodditton, Saxon St eventually through Ousden and Whepstead then a Cafe stop at the Maglia Rosso cyclists cafe in Hawstead.
IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

The country hereabouts is rolling and at times fairly challenging on a fully loaded hybrid. For me anyway.

More rolling Suffolk countryside and cotton wool clouds.

IMG_3741.JPG

I headed home through Hartest and Hawkedon. Hawkedon is probably one of my favourite villages, so pretty and not a streetlight in sight- always high on my checklist for best places to live.

Hawkedon church
IMG_3747.JPG

And looking back

IMG_3748.JPG

After that I put my foot down a bit, although still time for a quiet bridleway near Dullingham

IMG_3749.JPG

Down the hill from Dullingham on the home straight.

IMG_3750.JPG

51 miles over 5 hours or so. Not too tired at the end of it. My longest ride in a day will be 72 miles on my tour. I now feel more confident I may be able to do it than I did this morning!

Attachments

• IMG_3746.JPG
    IMG_3746.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Out on the Defy this afternoon, morning sun had disappeared and it was cold in the rear yard so back to three quarter shorts, full gloves and a long sleeve jersey with base layer. Back in the yard with helmet on the sun had reappeared and it was too hot for a base layer so off that came (helmet taken off) and off I set towards Penny Pot Lane via Oaker Bank only to realise I had forgotten to put the helmet back on:banghead: False start over, and the sun disappeared, did a looping circuit over an undulating terrain
Bedlam ln-Spinksburn Ln.jpg

down to Swinty Reservoir and the climb of Smithsons Lane, now nicely resurfaced and no signs of any one having cycled through it whilst the tarmac was setting:whistle:
Smithsons Lane.jpg

Needless to say the smooth surface led to a Strava PR. More downs and mainly ups to the A59 where a nicely located lay by gave breathing space from the Trans Pennine traffic awaiting a suitable gap to undertake the right turn into Meagill Lane.
A59 nr Meagill.jpg

Thereafter east along Menwith Hill Road and Back Road , the hills on the far side of the Vale of York could clearly be seen along with other less attractive features in the Vale itself. The decent to Hampsthwaite was a touch chilly, baselayer would have been useful, so I warmed up on the climb of Hollings Lane with another PR. Just started to rain as I neared home, not as bad as Thursdays commute home when I thought with the forecast possible light shower I could get away without a helmet cover or shoe covers, heavy rain / hail:angry: 24.79 miles 1684ft climbed Avg 13.1 mph
0906 route.jpg
0906 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time for another visit to Shropshire to ride the Highland Challenge. The route was quite flat over the first half and quite a bit was fairly well known. There were 275 riders today and I kept meeting up with familiar faces. The almond cakes at the first control were amazing. After the lunch stop we got some proper hills. One was very steep and most got off to walk. My 24x28 gear made it rideable but the mud caused a lack of grip and over I went. Just pride damaged. The climb away from Knighton wasn't very pleasant but when we turned into the lanes we got some proper Shropshire highlands. I was tempted by the almond cakes again at the 3rd control. Then it was a fairly easy run to the final climb through Mortimer's Forest and down to Ludlow. Now I have another medal to add to my collection. 68 smiles

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride to Cambridge and back today, Had a bite to eat in the Copper Kettle, then a pint in the Chequers pub on the way home, Bumped into an old ciub member there, had a nice chat, the rest of the ride was good, a bit of a head wind but we got back to our local for a beer or two, The locals were really chatty today, wanting to know where we had been, how long it took us, Was nice as we normally get strange looks,^_^ Great ride with the girls, they did suck my wheel for the whole ride, but they did buy me a couple of beers at the end.:cheers:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2436820001
IMG-20190609-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I couldn't ride last weekend, as my brother was visiting, so my legs were itching for some pedalling. Today daughter 2 had a karate competition starting at ten, which meant I needed to be back by quarter to nine or so. I decided I would go for an easy route without any climbing, to make sure I would be back on time.

Forecast was for clear skies, not particularly cold, and no wind, so shorts, short sleeves and fingerless. Out at six thirty, felt a slight chill, but soon warmed up. Out through town, towards Droitwich along the back lanes by the canal, still full of debris.

Got to Droitwich in good time, and then headed for Hanbury Wharf, and then a right towards Crawle. Normally I stop at Hanbury Wharf for a bit of a breather, but I was feeling quite energetic, so carried on, and didn't stop until I got to the turn for Grafton.

Once refreshed I set off for Grafton, over the A422, past North Piddle, Naunton Beauchamp, and a brief stop by the ford. Then the final stretch through Pinvin, Drakes Broughton via the ford road, which is now open, Wadborough and home through Littleworth. My fastest metric half so far.

The map
IMG_20190609_164923.jpg

I was back on time for the competition, and my daughter got first place in the team kata competition of her category.

I couldn't ride last weekend, as my brother was visiting, so my legs were itching for some pedalling. Today daughter 2 had a karate competition starting at ten, which meant I needed to be back by quarter to nine or so. I decided I would go for an easy route without any climbing, to make sure I would be back on time.

Forecast was for clear skies, not particularly cold, and no wind, so shorts, short sleeves and fingerless. Out at six thirty, felt a slight chill, but soon warmed up. Out through town, towards Droitwich along the back lanes by the canal, still full of debris.

Got to Droitwich in good time, and then headed for Hanbury Wharf, and then a right towards Crawle. Normally I stop at Hanbury Wharf for a bit of a breather, but I was feeling quite energetic, so carried on, and didn't stop until I got to the turn for Grafton.

Once refreshed I set off for Grafton, over the A422, past North Piddle, Naunton Beauchamp, and a brief stop by the ford. Then the final stretch through Pinvin, Drakes Broughton via the ford road, which is now open, Wadborough and home through Littleworth. My fastest metric half so far.

The map
View attachment 470175
I was back on time for the competition, and my daughter got first place in the team kata competition of her category.

That's a nice display, what system / software (whatever the modern parlance is) is that please?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Out on the Defy this afternoon, morning sun had disappeared and it was cold in the rear yard so back to three quarter shorts, full gloves and a long sleeve jersey with base layer. Back in the yard with helmet on the sun had reappeared and it was too hot for a base layer so off that came (helmet taken off) and off I set towards Penny Pot Lane via Oaker Bank only to realise I had forgotten to put the helmet back on:banghead: False start over, and the sun disappeared, did a looping circuit over an undulating terrain
View attachment 470126
down to Swinty Reservoir and the climb of Smithsons Lane, now nicely resurfaced and no signs of any one having cycled through it whilst the tarmac was setting:whistle:
View attachment 470127
Needless to say the smooth surface led to a Strava PR. More downs and mainly ups to the A59 where a nicely located lay by gave breathing space from the Trans Pennine traffic awaiting a suitable gap to undertake the right turn into Meagill Lane.
View attachment 470128
Thereafter east along Menwith Hill Road and Back Road , the hills on the far side of the Vale of York could clearly be seen along with other less attractive features in the Vale itself. The decent to Hampsthwaite was a touch chilly, baselayer would have been useful, so I warmed up on the climb of Hollings Lane with another PR. Just started to rain as I neared home, not as bad as Thursdays commute home when I thought with the forecast possible light shower I could get away without a helmet cover or shoe covers, heavy rain / hail:angry: 24.79 miles 1684ft climbed Avg 13.1 mph
View attachment 470129 View attachment 470130
I like it round there. Some great rides.

Butchersbike

Time for another visit to Shropshire to ride the Highland Challenge. The route was quite flat over the first half and quite a bit was fairly well known. There were 275 riders today and I kept meeting up with familiar faces. The almond cakes at the first control were amazing. After the lunch stop we got some proper hills. One was very steep and most got off to walk. My 24x28 gear made it rideable but the mud caused a lack of grip and over I went. Just pride damaged. The climb away from Knighton wasn't very pleasant but when we turned into the lanes we got some proper Shropshire highlands. I was tempted by the almond cakes again at the 3rd control. Then it was a fairly easy run to the final climb through Mortimer's Forest and down to Ludlow. Now I have another medal to add to my collection. 68 smiles
Saw lots of cyclists going through Ludlow whilst stood on my pie stall yesterday, I presume it was the same event.

Top Bottom