Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
It started off as a routine Thursday run to Glasgow Green for a few hours at the Free Wheel North track.
Decided to take the scenic route ..Kelvin and Clyde .
Kelvingrove park had loads of pipers out practicing , different tunes all mingling.
World pipe band championship is at the Green this weekend.
Enjoyable few hours, then a shout to go out leading someone 1 to 1 on a trip along the Clyde to Cambuslang and back .
Work done and heading home when my Mrs phoned to say she was in Clydebank, so I had a pleasant detour along the Clyde , before taking the canal path home.
36 miles in total.

I went to Göppingen: I can't explain it.

I had an appointment with the Employment Agency which finished early, and my plan was to follow the Neckar river for a bit, then explore up the river Fils. I'd not followed this route before because on the map it looked like a line of semi-industrial towns with busy roads and a Landesstrasse (dual carriageway) filling half the valley, but as I was already in the Neckar valley I decided to give it a try.

It turned out to be a line of semi-industrial towns with busy roads and a dual carriageway filling half the valley. I'd planned to find the first village with a bridge, cross the river and come back on the other side, but the first town was so underwhelming that I carried on in the hope the next would be better. And when it wasn't I tried the third...

And thus, with repeated disappointments, I came to Göppingen. where I took a shot of the railway station because I felt someone ought to.

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.08.JPG

The town centre looked okay:

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.10.JPG

And there were some interesting bikes:

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.09.JPG

DSC_0415.JPG

There was also a rather exclusive looking clinic/hospital on the edge of town with a large sculpture that I think is supposed to be a modern style St. Christopher...

As you can see the weather was as exciting as the scenery.

I'd come in on the 'northern cycle way', the signage of which I'd describe as 'variable': ie, it directed you down a cycleway which expired a hundred metres further, then pointed vaguely towards Göppingen. and gave up. I may have been following the route, I may not, it was hard to tell.

On the way back I tried the 'south' route, which sent through a couple of industrial areas before becoming a gravel track between dual carriageway and river, and went on, and on...

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.12.JPG

and on and on... and just for a joke got a bit narrower occasionally so I wasn't entirely convinced it wouldn't just disappear.

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.14.JPG

If we built the road network like these local towns built cycleways, we'd never have a problem with traffic.

Fortunately the next town took a more enlightened approach and had built some real infrastructure, like this rather fun winding bridge:

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.15.JPG

Eventually I found the valley towards our village and the local geography improved:

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.16.JPG

Having made it back up the hill, the sun finally came out, so I stopped for the obligatory 'new bike' picture on the 'Landscape steps' in the large new development in the next town but one. When I first came to Germany this was a US army base.

2019_08_12_Göppingen_Wayfarer.17.JPG

Anyway, 63k on the clock, rather more than I was planning, and my legs let me know their displeasure...

Last edited:
I had a really enjoyable ride yesterday with my regular cycling chum @ColinJ. Colin devised a route based largely on the 'Calderdale70 (which is downloadable from the Calderdale Council Cycling website). The difference being, instead of totalling 70 it was 60 miles and the last 10 miles were flat on the towpath instead of the hilly grind up towards Saddleworth. Nevertheless, it was a very hilly ride mainly on quiet high moorland roads with stunning vistas. My Garmin Explore seems to be consistently under registering the total ascent as it recorded 5147 ft as against my little Garmin 200 which recorded 7700 ft - big difference. I think the latter is much more like the actual total but I'm not sure how it compares with Colin's total.
Our route took us from Todmorden to Sourhall, Mereclough, Long Causeway, Colden, Blackshaw Head, Widdop moors, Thursden, Coldwell, Trawden, Laneshaw Bridge, Scartop, Stanbury, Haworth, Oxenhope, Denholme, Queensbury Southowram, Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge and back to Todmorden.

We had rain for the initial hour but this quickly cleared to become sunny and bright. There was a viciously strong wind and we had a mix of long stretches battling against the headwind counter balanced with long stretches assisted with the tailwind.

My total mileage was 71 as it included riding from Littleborough to Todmorden and back in addition to the planned 60 miles route. A highly enjoyable day out.

Some pictures below include our lunch stop by a reservoir entrance near Trawden, snack stopnear Sowerby Bridge and a heron spotted opposite the canal towpath near Sowerby Bridge. Can you spot the heron? You may need to enlarge the photo.
Snack stop near Sowerby Bridge.jpg
Zoom in to see the heron.jpg
Looking across the Moors near Trawden.jpg
Lunch stop near Trawden.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a really enjoyable ride yesterday with my regular cycling chum @ColinJ. Colin devised a route based largely on the 'Calderdale70 (which is downloadable from the Calderdale Council Cycling website). The difference being, instead of totalling 70 it was 60 miles and the last 10 miles were flat on the towpath instead of the hilly grind up towards Saddleworth. Nevertheless, it was a very hilly ride mainly on quiet high moorland roads with stunning vistas. My Garmin Explore seems to be consistently under registering the total ascent as it recorded 5147 ft as against my little Garmin 200 which recorded 7700 ft - big difference. I think the latter is much more like the actual total but I'm not sure how it compares with Colin's total.
Our route took us from Todmorden to Sourhall, Mereclough, Long Causeway, Colden, Blackshaw Head, Widdop moors, Thursden, Coldwell, Trawden, Laneshaw Bridge, Scartop, Stanbury, Haworth, Oxenhope, Denholme, Queensbury Southowram, Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge and back to Todmorden.

We had rain for the initial hour but this quickly cleared to become sunny and bright. There was a viciously strong wind and we had a mix of long stretches battling against the headwind counter balanced with long stretches assisted with the tailwind.

My total mileage was 71 as it included riding from Littleborough to Todmorden and back in addition to the planned 60 miles route. A highly enjoyable day out.

Some pictures below include our lunch stop by a reservoir entrance near Trawden, snack stopnear Sowerby Bridge and a heron spotted opposite the canal towpath near Sowerby Bridge. Can you spot the heron? You may need to enlarge the photo. View attachment 480248 View attachment 480249 View attachment 480250 View attachment 480251
Yes, a good day out, once that band of rain blew over. You can see me trying to dry my feet at the first snack stop (the photos are in reverse chronological order) . We had battled a fierce, blustery wind from Slack past Widdop reservoir until we sought shelter for a while.

I clocked my shorter ride at 1,950 metres of ascent, or 6,400 ft. There is some climbing in both directions between Littleborough and Todmorden so 7,700 ft sounds about right. I did exactly a metric century; I arrived home 0.75 km short and rode round the block to clock the extra.

I wasn't feeling grumpy or bewildered but the photos make me look like I WAS - ha ha!

My ride yesterday.
As the forecast was pretty good I decided to cycle over to dad`s. Now which way do I go ? I decided on the Rattlesden
Felsham route as I have done before but this time I did change things a little. I did an extra loop before getting to Felsham, part of which is on another route
which I hav`nt been on lately but noticed the aghast horror stone chippings sign. Luckily I turned right just before the chippings, I hate cycling on chippings because one you are more susceptible to punctures and secondly they diguise the pot holes that or dulks in the road that may have been there. Once at Felsham I then progressed on to Drinkstone via Gedding. Usually at Drinkstone I turn to Woolpit (where last time I went wrong) but this time I turned right to Woolpit Green and then a left to go over the A14 to Elmswell. It was actually a better route and quieter traffic wise, despite that though a motorcyclist was killed here last week. When I got to Elmswell I had done 19 miles but thought I`d round it up to 20 before getting to dad`s. In some ways that was a mistake as whilst the ride so far had been mainly cloudy and even a spell of sunshine. Whilst doing a loop in Elmswell it started to spit with rain, no worries I thought, wrong again. Within about 30 seconds the heavens opened and I got quite wet completing that last mile. It was a blessing that I had chosen my Claude Butler as it has mudguards so I did`nt get wet at the back. I only chose the CB as I wanted to test my new water bottle cage and the gearing which had been a bit sporadic with some gear changes. Pleased to report that the Sora 9 speed seems to be just right, no bad shifts. I have tinkered with it quite a lot whilst in dry dock ( the garage). I must remember that the levers have a longer throw than the 105 bike.

My journey back from Elmswell was a change to my usual one. I normally travel back via Wetherden, Haughley and Tothill into Stowmarket. Only trouble with that route is that the stretch from Tothill is not that great, very busy. To be fair though there is a cycle path but not that wide in places and I always fear of a puncture. So instead I retraced the last part of the route from Elmswell going via Warren Lane over the A14 towards Onehouse and past Stowmarket golf club and then along Combs Lane to Combs Ford and back that way. That was a good ride back as the wind was mainly behind me and with quite a good downhill stretch. I really felt that I was shifting it and my speed topped at 33 mph. This route was a little further by 2.5 miles making it 9 miles. The total ride ended at 29.9 miles at an average of 17.9 mph. I was really pleased with myself because that is the furthest I have cycled for a long time and pleased with my Claude Butler, it felt good. Man and machine in perfect harmony, now where have I heard that before ? No close passes either, result .

Attachments

• My route.jpg
    My route.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@ColinJ - looks like I will continue to use my basic Garmin 200, if only to record the ascent more accurately.

Ha ha, photos can deceive can't they? You were certainly not grumpy Colin, in fact I'm still chuckling at the amusing tales you shared with me as we stopped near Trawden for our pack up lunch.

Old jon

Guru
Some rain, some wind but a new toy to try out. Had to have a ride. Gears today, and I forgot to take a photograph before I even started. The front tyre is over 3500 miles old, the little cuts and other holes almost make a tread pattern of their own. Thank you Schwalbe!

Never mind that, start pedalling. Holbeck, Crown Point Road is open again so cross the Aire on the bridge that shares the name. Navigate past the bottom of Eastgate, aiming towards the Oakwood Clock. It is about ten o’ clock when I reach there and there are roads blocked already for the Ed Sheeran gig in Roundhay Park. Why block roads? Anyway, I rode through all those bollards on my way to the foot of Boot Hill, followed by the ride up that hill. And not far after the crest I turned left by the Wellington pub, also known as the boot. This road goes to Shadwell Main Street, turn left and enjoy the breezy ride to Slaid Hill. Turn right here and travel through Wike to East Keswick. A fast road in this direction until Keswick Beck is crossed. The village is uphill all the way from there.

Reach the A 659 and turn right for Collingham. The road descends nicely here, as it begins to level there is a left turn to Linton, crossing the recently repaired bridge. A small village of lumps, Linton is. But a shortcut into Wetherby also. Stop here for a munch and leave the town crossing the Wharfe and turning right onto the A 58, the other road through Collingham. It can be a busy little village. Bardsey next, and turn left at the lights and ride up Rigton Bank. I walked the last five yards of the steep bit, I blame traffic and leaden legs. Up, more, to Rigton Green and turn right for the road to Thorner.

Down Milner Lane briskly, only to meet one of those ginormous caravan things. Filled the road from side to side, it did. There was a short bit of wider road, I stopped there and waited. And waited. At last, rode into the village and out again, up Sandhills to Skeltons Lane. Turn right, across Coal Road was made difficult by the mini roundabout, everybody was being polite. Back on the A 58, down that hill and carry straight on at the bottom. No sense in piddling about through road closures again. Back across the River Aire and return to my front door. Big grin, it really was a good ride. Then play with the new toy, to save that ride.

The new toy is a replacement for my old garthing, an Edge 25, whose USB connection has become very unreliable. It has been replaced with an Edge 130, which has a few more bells and whistles and seems to be very optimistic about how much climbing I did. For the 33 miles ridden, which seems near enough, it is reporting over 2000 feet of climbing. I have no reliable method of checking this, and it matters little anyway. Suppose bigger numbers mean I am trying harder? Hmmm.

Map by new toy, this looks OK

17082019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rob A, Jules H, Pete M, Steve E, John G, Rich B, Sara P, Margaret PR and me made 9. Great gang. Steve decided Ledbury would work so we took the lanes to Pendock and on for Redmarley. Sara and I were deep in conversation so we missed the Dunnington turn. The others were awake so no harm done. Ledbury was busy but we found room in Cafe One. Rob and John scooted off while we all refreshed. Steve fancied the Hollybush climb so we rolled up and over. It's an easy hill. That took us back to our usual lanes. I left the others at Tunnel Hill for a fairly standard run back. All good on a nice if breezey day. 51 smiles

Last edited:
I suspect I'm not the first person to go on a ride as therapy.

This week someone who I trust(ed) managed to do be very hurtful in what I'm still hoping was a misunderstanding. Rather than sit around making the family depressed I spontaneously got on the new to me bike to get rid of the Black Dog and see if I couldn't get my head straight.

I decided this would require more than a quick pootle around the fields and set off for one of my favourite loops, along a valley known as the Siebenmühlental, back down the Neckar valley and over the hills to our village. I also decided to try a new route in the hills. This would either mean I got around a hill or would give me some new scenery to look at as I winched my way by.

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_01.JPG

I find I'm taking different routes on this bike, which is probably why I found this monument for the first time. It commemorates one Walther von Horwe, who accidentally killed his own son while hunting sometime in the middle ages, and as penance went on a pilgrimage to Rome. Clearly finding this wasn't enough to show his remorse he resolved to carry a wooden cross on the journey.

The pillar commemorates the point where he collapsed under the weight.

Continuing from this cheery monument, I wiggled through some of the outer suburbs of Stuttgart and on to the Siebenmühlental cycleway.

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_02.JPG

Which it turns out is just as lovely in the early evening as at silly o'clock in the morning.

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_10.JPG

Having navigated the low pass into the Neckar valley I nearly missed the turning for the bridge over the river. I really need to practice braking with drop bars.

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_11.JPG

For once I actually took account of basic matters like having the sun in the correct direction when taking a picture...

Past Nürtingen I turned out of the valley and into the 'rolling hills' between there and our village. I know the route here well having cycled it at least once a week when commuting to college some years ago, but today I decided I needed a bit more distance and legwork to work off the emotions from earlier, so I went exploring.

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_16.JPG

Sunsets: the mediocre photographers best friend.

I thought I'd be clever and get all the climbing done at once, so rode up to the ridge before turning towards the forest. This resulted in my following a track that petered out into nothingness. After asking a friendly dog walker for directions, I ended up going back down the hill...

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_20.JPG

And back up along the track I should have followed in the first place...

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_21.JPG

We live and learn.

By now the light was fading so I braved the trolls and other forest creatures and after apparently making a few oncoming cyclists nervous who had been wondering why a light was apparently floating through the trees at waist height, reached another town, from which there is a bridge over the valley to our side.

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_23.JPG

Not this bridge. It was a bigger one, but this is prettier.

By the time I was back on our side of the river, the moon had risen:

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_28.JPG

Thank goodness for hub dynamos.

Approaching the village, 60k riding and what turns out to be a lot more climbing than on the normal route:

2019_08_15_Siebenmühlental_Plus_(W)_31.JPG

Really need to work on that handlebar tape...

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Out after lunch today after family duties ie food shopping :sad: but I do get a cooked breakfast in the cafe :mrpig: .Out on a familiar 50km loop out to Wymeswold but due to road closures I had to take the long drag up Paudy lane out of Barrow a steepish 8-10% at the start then 3 miles of 2_3% with the aid of a nice tailwind I managed a Strava pr today averaged 18.1 mph :becool: well happy with that, no where near the Kom .It's the only time Ive noticed my average speed going up as I go uphill !.Just heading down narrow lane I heard a very distinctive sound of a single Merlin engine sure enough there in the sky was the unmistakable shape of a Spitfire don't know why but it's such an evocative sight and sound made my ride . Down through Wymeswold and turn into the headwind on what should be a fast descent into Loughborough my average speed went down !! Who said it wasn't windy . Back to Barrow then Quorn went through Swithland to avoid a 4 way temporary traffic lights in Cropston . 35.4 miles in the bag at 16.1 mph lovely ride in blustery conditions .

A tale of two rides. I thought that I`d repeat part of my ride that I did on Thursday when I went to visit my dad at Elmswell but making it approx 5 miles shorter to just 24.3 miles. I headed off into a bit of a head wind, always best if you know what I mean, I like reaping the rewards later. I took my camera this time as I wanted to take a photo of Drinkstone Mill which is in a sorry state of repair. It looks as if it is having work done on it. To summarize the route. Stowmarket - Combs Ford - Rattlesden - Felsham - Gedding - Drinkstone - Woolpit Green - back via Stow golf club and then the way I started. Where as on Thursday I had a nice downhill tailwind from Woolpit Green, today because the wind was WSW it was more of a crosswind, oh well, better than a continuous head wind. The ride ended at an average of 17.9 mph and that was on my Vitus carbon bike. No the carbon bike does`nt make me any faster on paper, only in my mind ! According to Gped maps I did 1187 feet of climbing, I can`t argue as I don`t have a Garmin or anything like. I am just a Cateye and magnet type of guy !
I did`nt get to take a photo of Drinkstone Mill as the light was not good enough but I did spot this weather vane that I had`nt seen before even though I have passed it, you just never know what else you miss. The weather vane is close to Rattlesden airfield which was used by the 447 Bomb group during WW2, I have posted a photo of their memorial on this website, that is on another route close by. Total for the year at present 2158 miles.

447 Bomb group vane.JPG

theloafer

Legendary Member
short ride while Karon was at hairstylist ^_^ out to Barny for a bacon buttie (they are yummy) at the The Teesdale Restaurant my fav café in Barnard castle ..back via Whorlton and over the suspension bridge where I was meet a road closed sign , ignored as I hate going back the same way I arrived lol. bridge was fine no works. back the usual route even got to ride past my fav ice cream place (Archer`s) as I was meeting Karon at the navy club for a pint :cheers: really enjoyed and the pint also lol 44 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2626967976

yummy
WP_20190817_001[1].jpg

WP_20190817_002[1].jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Flipping strange day here - one moment glorious sun, next overcast with a strong westerly / south westerly with some speedy gusts so back out on the ebiked hybrid on shopping duties, or it would have been if I had remembered the lock:sad: Going south across the Stray, the open parkland that surrounds a fair chunk of the town centre, was interesting with wind howling across the open land and potentially made more interesting by, what I presume was, a burst water main with passing vehicles ploughing through and creating shower plumes to either side - thankfully I managed to pass through it between vehicles:okay:
Risked leaving the bike at the farm shop on the basis with the battery switched off no one would get far with it and when I came back it had gained a couple of companions albeit locked. Something was on at the Showground and deciding against running my luck with avoiding an inadvertent shower I headed pass a large queue of traffic trying to exit and across Wetherby Road which in more chaos than in was last Sunday and then up to the Starbeck branch of NCN67. Went to ring the bell which I discovered the hammer had somehow twisted out of postion so cycled up behind the couple who were blocking the NCN branch such is its negligible width and "excuse me" - no reaction, so stopped and got the hammer back in place by which time the couple were some distance ahead but the bell rang whilst I was fiddling with it and it had the immediate effect Subsequently did see someone setting out on a road bike wearing a AG2R kit, not one I would choose:huh: 10.22 miles 567ft of the motor notably earning its keep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom