Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've just returned from the wilderness of Mid Wales so these are not from today, but I've spent most of the weekend with zero phone reception so this is the first chance I've had to post. The scenery and cycling are amazing around there, so I think its worth the wait.

I had arranged to go camping for a few days with friends near Cwmystwyth, so I met with them in Newtown and gave them all my camping gear and clothes and they drove off to the campsite, and I planned to cycle approx 30 hilly miles there. Weather was great and I left Newtown and headed along the super green valley floor on the back road to Caersws.
View attachment 482350
Its then along the back road through Trefeglys to Llanidloes, Its a great fast descent into town, where I hit 47 mph. After Llanidloes the road really starts going up.
View attachment 482351
Through Llangurig at 1000 ft above sea level. I do a short half a mile stretch along the A44 which is very busy with traffic, no doubt heading for the coast. But I soon turn off again onto the NCN 81.and am rewarded instantly as there is zero traffic. Its remote forest and hills round here, Hafren Forest is nearby where they do the UK stage of the World Rally Championships. Thankfully there's no rally cars today, in fact there is nobody at all, its great. But its hot, even the sheared sheep are seeking shade.
View attachment 482352
Already at 1000 ft and the road keeps going up
View attachment 482353
The road climbs for another 2.5 miles and I'm above the trees, and the shade runs out and I am all alone out on the moors in the beating sun.
View attachment 482354
This section is amazing and I cover 6 miles from turning off the busy A44 without seeing a single car, biker, walker or anyone, it was just me and nature on a great day. From the top I'm faced with an amazing looking descent that looks fresh out of cyclist fantasy, wow.
View attachment 482355
I come across an icy cold mountain stream that provides a welcome cooling point for head, hands and feet. The road goes through the river and is gated so no motor traffic can continue, looking at the road you can see why.
View attachment 482356
It suddenly gets worse and as per many a NCN route, is more suitable for a MTB than the road bike I'm on. I would normally be swearing out loud at these points, but the route and views are so amazing I don't care. I grew up on MTB's so just take care on my lines and go slow and all is well.
View attachment 482357
View attachment 482358
I arrive at the bottom where the campsite is, and my mates have already put up the tent and got the beers in, top work:okay:. The ride was a mere 27.9 miles, but climbed 2896ft in elevation. My London legs are throbbing. We cook an amazing meal on an open fire and had a sky filled with stars:notworthy:.
After breakfast my mates are all off in the car and I'm off into the hills, and no surprise its more of the same in terms if climbing. Its another cloudless sky and more epic scenery.
View attachment 482359
View attachment 482360
A 2 mile climb up to Ffair-Rhos got the blood pumping, then a rare bit of flat to Tregaron where I turn off towards LLyn Brianne. Again this is an amazing section of road that I have almost all to myself, apart from a few cars and some grinning motorcyclists. From Tregaron its a 1000ft climb up to roads over 1500ft and then it rolls through more deserted country
View attachment 482369
View attachment 482364
LLyn Brianne
View attachment 482370
Like yesterday I return on sections of NCN 81, and like before the roads vanish and speed slows dramatically, but again not a care was given as it was all ride-able with care, and looked great.
View attachment 482365
Cruising back to camp after another day in the hot sun, I've got definite tan lines and have a real thirst after another 6467ft climbed in just 61.5 miles, but can still manage a laugh at this.
View attachment 482366
Another night at camp then back to my parents in Adfa and back to London today. Aching legs but an all over satisfied glow after another amazing bike trip to Wales. I got lucky with the weather and it was a joy to avoid the bank holiday masses, it felt like I had Wales to myself it was nothing short of fantastic, and the scenery will live long in the memory banks.
Fantastic, i enjoyed reading that, and the pics too. Makes me want to drop everything, grab my bike and do the same ride.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
ED7970F0-6067-4B06-8FB5-F51B58BC4838.jpeg
0B8406BB-292D-40B9-B10B-69522EFAF6B3.jpeg
9831FA2B-7535-4F90-AD88-E2A64D1D0628.jpeg
D6395218-D81F-4B3F-B56B-5E337210EA0D.jpeg

Almost the same rides as yesterday, out on the trusty Tricross for the 6.7 mile commute with an average of 18.6 mph followed by an extended Home commute of almost 28 miles with an average of 13.7 mph.
Most of my riding from home and work is pretty flat which leaves you really exposed when it’s windy, tonight’s wind was brutal, 14 miles of head and crosswinds, I was nearly blown off! Glad to get home.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a 16 mile ride today.

The highlight was Darkie Hill Cross. I’m not sure what % it was, but when it got easy enough to look at my Garmin it said 21%.

I also found a few new stretches of lanes, covered in crap too!

21F81717-7A82-4309-BA3F-CD27EB6CCE93.jpeg

E9126F87-6E1D-4664-901E-D51271B9387F.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2667380209

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Fantastic, i enjoyed reading that, and the pics too. Makes me want to drop everything, grab my bike and do the same ride.

Thanks, when the sun is out Wales looks amazing at this time of year so the pictures advertise it more than my words ever could. I'm still amazed it doesn't get more cycle tourists than it does, its got some of the best riding in the country.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E, Pete M, John G and me today. There was rain in the forecast but we headed off anyway. Fairly standard route. At the Combertons the signs were up telling of closed roads for the Tour of Britain. A bit of local excitement to look forward to. Refreshments in Pershore meant good craic before we took to the extra loop by Stonehall Common which allows John to peel off. The wind was strong and hindering on the run back and the front which was supposed to bring rain was evident. It passed through with 3 drops of rain and that was it. Nice leg stretch and no soaking. 43 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've just returned from the wilderness of Mid Wales so these are not from today, but I've spent most of the weekend with zero phone reception so this is the first chance I've had to post. The scenery and cycling are amazing around there, so I think its worth the wait.

I had arranged to go camping for a few days with friends near Cwmystwyth, so I met with them in Newtown and gave them all my camping gear and clothes and they drove off to the campsite, and I planned to cycle approx 30 hilly miles there. Weather was great and I left Newtown and headed along the super green valley floor on the back road to Caersws.
View attachment 482350
Its then along the back road through Trefeglys to Llanidloes, Its a great fast descent into town, where I hit 47 mph. After Llanidloes the road really starts going up.
View attachment 482351
Through Llangurig at 1000 ft above sea level. I do a short half a mile stretch along the A44 which is very busy with traffic, no doubt heading for the coast. But I soon turn off again onto the NCN 81.and am rewarded instantly as there is zero traffic. Its remote forest and hills round here, Hafren Forest is nearby where they do the UK stage of the World Rally Championships. Thankfully there's no rally cars today, in fact there is nobody at all, its great. But its hot, even the sheared sheep are seeking shade.
View attachment 482352
Already at 1000 ft and the road keeps going up
View attachment 482353
The road climbs for another 2.5 miles and I'm above the trees, and the shade runs out and I am all alone out on the moors in the beating sun.
View attachment 482354
This section is amazing and I cover 6 miles from turning off the busy A44 without seeing a single car, biker, walker or anyone, it was just me and nature on a great day. From the top I'm faced with an amazing looking descent that looks fresh out of cyclist fantasy, wow.
View attachment 482355
I come across an icy cold mountain stream that provides a welcome cooling point for head, hands and feet. The road goes through the river and is gated so no motor traffic can continue, looking at the road you can see why.
View attachment 482356
It suddenly gets worse and as per many a NCN route, is more suitable for a MTB than the road bike I'm on. I would normally be swearing out loud at these points, but the route and views are so amazing I don't care. I grew up on MTB's so just take care on my lines and go slow and all is well.
View attachment 482357
View attachment 482358
I arrive at the bottom where the campsite is, and my mates have already put up the tent and got the beers in, top work:okay:. The ride was a mere 27.9 miles, but climbed 2896ft in elevation. My London legs are throbbing. We cook an amazing meal on an open fire and had a sky filled with stars:notworthy:.
After breakfast my mates are all off in the car and I'm off into the hills, and no surprise its more of the same in terms if climbing. Its another cloudless sky and more epic scenery.
View attachment 482359
View attachment 482360
A 2 mile climb up to Ffair-Rhos got the blood pumping, then a rare bit of flat to Tregaron where I turn off towards LLyn Brianne. Again this is an amazing section of road that I have almost all to myself, apart from a few cars and some grinning motorcyclists. From Tregaron its a 1000ft climb up to roads over 1500ft and then it rolls through more deserted country
View attachment 482369
View attachment 482364
LLyn Brianne
View attachment 482370
Like yesterday I return on sections of NCN 81, and like before the roads vanish and speed slows dramatically, but again not a care was given as it was all ride-able with care, and looked great.
View attachment 482365
Cruising back to camp after another day in the hot sun, I've got definite tan lines and have a real thirst after another 6467ft climbed in just 61.5 miles, but can still manage a laugh at this.
View attachment 482366
Another night at camp then back to my parents in Adfa and back to London today. Aching legs but an all over satisfied glow after another amazing bike trip to Wales. I got lucky with the weather and it was a joy to avoid the bank holiday masses, it felt like I had Wales to myself it was nothing short of fantastic, and the scenery will live long in the memory banks.
Mid Wales is always superb :thumbsup: Well done :thumbsup:

After having a couple of days off from cycling I really fancied a ride this afternoon. Without boring people with details it was a 24.3 miler to Felsham and Drinkstone and back. It has become perhaps my favourite route as it has nice country lanes with very little in the way of traffic, ok, some parts are busier I will admit. Today I took the camera and perchanced to stop by a field that had been cut from it`s wheat overlooking Felsham. The photos I took were not worthy of posting however. When I started off again I had that terrible feeling of " Oh dear I think I have a flat rear". I stopped and indeed it was soft. I changed the tube and searched for the culprit to no avail. The tyre was as clean as a whistle. After texting Mrs S to say that I`d be a bit later than I said that I would be home I continued on and actually had a quite a good ride. It was not as hot as earlier in the week and had a nice 15 mph SW breeze. Average speed was 18.1 mph so felt pleased with myself. I checked the old inner tube this evening for the puncture. I was`nt a puncture as such but a small hole right at the base of the valve, how does that happen ? I`d convinced myself that I`d thorned the inner tube when I stopped. At least it was`nt pouring with rain or cold.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another Sunday morning breakfast ride to meet the Fragrant MrsP, did a loop this morning instead of an out n back, it was a bit blowy on the way back, first 10 miles out though only three cars passed me, I like it when that happens.

No photos today, I forgot to take me phone.

1F3414E1-A362-4514-903D-8AF39F454D53.jpeg

A gnats gnadger over 25 miles, with a big full English at 14 miles, which was lovely.

Top Bottom