Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today was due the return leg from the homestead. The grey sky didn't look too appealing through the window but I pushed myself out at about 14:00 mindful of the empty fridge and Sunday closing hours. In the interest of speed / avoiding sketchy muddy bits I took the most direct route along the main road; not as pleasant for many reasons but more direct at about 20 miles versus 26.

Totally ignored the cycle paths through Yarnton remaining on the dual carriageway throughout, which caused no issues. Got back to Oxford in a little over an hour thanks to the convincing tailwind and general downward gradiant; averaging about 17.4mph (it was up to mid-18s before I had to slow down to go through town) - which is faster than I'd usually expect on the road bike, let alone the CdF.

Having got back in uncharacteristically good time I swapped to the Raleigh, sensible shoes and a bigger rucksack and hit the Co-op - succumbing to their ridiculously cheap beer and pizza deal (always the undoing of my allergies :sad: ) as well as a load of reduced munchie food. Next was Waitrose for a less fruitful, but none-the-less productive discount-trawl - spotting Radiohead's Thom Yorke dubiously eyeing the cheeses while I was there.

Not really feeling like going "home" I moseyed around for a bit, secreting myself in one of the little alcoves outside the Said Business School to eat my 38p egg and bacon sarnie in the sun, with some Mazzy Star and a couple of my 46p San Miguels courtesy of the thoughtful anti-skateboarding bottle openers provided by the building's achitects.

Spoils consumed and allergies predictably provoked I soldiered on towards town and the leaden sky looming beyond, however by this point tiredness had set in, the sun had gone and it was time to retire. Indulging in a guilt-free evening of youtube in bed with a view to a good sleep :smile:

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a lovely autumn day today if you were looking in the right direction, the other direction was dark grey clouds so I headed for the sun. Set off to Wolverley, Loppington, Nonely, Burlton turning up to English Frankton and towards Colemere turned off at Pikes End past the woods to Lyneal taking the lane past the church, vineyard and car park which was full round Colemere scattering a group of pheasants wandering in the lane, had to duck to avoid the 2 which were hiding at head height in the hedge bank as they flew off. Carried on back to Lyneal, Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. Lots of cyclists, walkers and runners out today. 23.05 miles. The trees and bracken are starting to change colour now and lots of acorns, conkers and chestnuts on the roads.
81BB5415-6D4A-4BBA-A85D-10BFBB4B7507.jpeg

4D60744B-B5B5-45D5-97A6-81DFC1BABD39.jpeg

colly

Re member eR
Late up because of a late night and it was a shortish ride out before I started on jobs that I have been volunteered for.

A local loop followed by a run out via Alwoodley to King Lane and the edges of Bramhope. Back into Adel and Lawnswood and a left at Shaw Lane saw me scampering up Potternewton Lane to the top of Chapletown Road , into Harehills and back up to home.

17.2 miles and 1200 ft up

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/57507340

Andy G spotted a weather window. Gospel Pass he asked. So I met up at the car park at Hardwicke. We had decided to save the best till last so we took to lanes new to us both heading towards Hereford. We looped to avoid the city for Kilpeck where we stopped to admire the 900 year old church with it's amazingly well preserved carving. It gets quite lumpy out this way so Cupid's Hill had to be conquered before we paused in Grosmont for lunchtime sandwiches. More climbs followed as we took in the views to the Black Mountains from Campston Hill. We dropped to cross the Abergavenny road to take the approach to the Gospel Pass. My chain broke at this point. Fortunately Andy had a chain tool so it didn't take long to get underway again. It's a lovely ride up through the valley and the climb from Capel-Y-Ffin needs a low gear but the views out over Wales and the Welsh Marches are stunning. We descended easily to pass through Hay-on-Wye and return to our cars. Lovely outing with a bit of everything today.
View attachment 551228
View attachment 551229
View attachment 551230
View attachment 551231
View attachment 551232
View attachment 551233 View attachment 551234
View attachment 551235 View attachment 551236
That doorway is particularly ornate for the period.
It's what I love about "Your Ride....." you get to see far flung and forgotten great architecture.

C R

Guru
The forecast for today was quite a cool morning, but bright and with no wind. Plan was to go to Rushock trying the back lanes between Holt and Hartlebury.

Out just a bit before 6:30, wearing full autumn clothing. Aim was to get to Holt Fleet via the west side of the Severn, so head out through St Peters, via Bath Road and past the cathedral to cross the river and head to Holt via Hallow. There was just a hint of pink in the east riding through Hallow, with Mars shining bright to the west, the moon somewhere before the zenith and Venus in the east.

Got to Holt Heath as the day was breaking, and I was quickly back on the eastern side of the Severn, taking the lanes from Holt Fleet towards Boreley and Lincomb. The lanes were quite muddy from the run off, and adding to that the fact that they are quite narrow, and I had to navigate a new to me route, meant progress was slow, but the views made it worth it.
IMG_20201011_072105284~2.jpg

After Lincomb I crossed the Stourport road heading for Hartlebury, and then the destination was Rushock churchyard, where I stopped for a drink a some contemplation by John Bonham's memorial
IMG_20201011_080915045~2.jpg

Next destination was Wychbold, via Elmbridge. By now I was a bit behind my expected time, due to the slow pace in the lanes earlier, so just pu my head down and pushed through the miles past Stoke Prior, Hanbury and then back via Tibberton and past the hospital.

Great route, but probably best kept for the summer, as the bike was filthy and I could hear the grit grinding in the chain, but all sorted after a fettle this afternoon.

The map
IMG_20201011_215312.jpg

I only noticed that I was just 0.2 miles short of 45 miles once I had already closed the garage door, grrr.

Mike_P

Guru
The Defy re-equipped with its strap on / clamp on mudguards headed west today. The A59 was quiet until I pondered staying on it so back to Penny Pot and then north then west to head north west to Greenhow; a long drag but the least steep way there. One of those strange overly long Strava segments tells me it took 9 secs under 68 minutes from the Army College on Penny Pot.
Turned west and into the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
west from Greehow.jpg

Some steep curvy down grades but the first upgrade had nice straight approach. Then turned south west via Barden.
2.jpg

4.jpg

Had an awkward moment; desperate to water some weeds I stopped behind two parked cars only, and immediately a motorcyclist stopped obviously thinking I had found some viewpoint.
Crossed the River Wharf on a narrow bridge hoping nothing was coming the other way, which was the case.
5.jpg

Then came the climb out of Wharfedale, hindered by a sharply curved approach I clambered up the immediate 11.4% grade hoping that the speed might pick up on the 6.1% false flat beyond; it did not and with a 17.7% grade looming opted for Shanks’s Pony. The decent was steep in parts as well and at the foot passed through Eastby to reach the xM of Embsay.
Embsay.jpg

Heading back east the Wahoo lead me through Halton East and along a gated road to Bolton Abbey. Over Bolton Bridge on the A59 and then on the narrow road through Beamsley to Ilkley, aside from one car basically appeared to be a bridleway. Up the climb from Askwith to reach Askwith Moor and the decent of Swindon Bank.
towards swindon bank.jpg

Through Fewston and a default route which the Wahoo notably disagreed with to reach Penny Pot and nipped home through the Country Park. Aside from a light shower initially it stayed dry despite a number of threatening clouds. Route map has a tracking error at Bolton Abbey where the Wahoo paused (okay, I pressed the wrong button without realising and it was not until I had turned off the A59 I noticed). Error corrected gives 52.17 miles 4332ft climbed.
11-10-20 route.jpg

Last edited:
The Defy re-equipped with its strap on / clamp on mudguards headed west today. The A59 was quiet until I pondered staying on it so back to Penny Pot and then north then west to head north west to Greenhow; a long drag but the least steep way there. One of those strange overly long Strava segments tell me it took 9 secs under 68 minutes from the Army College on Penny Pot.
Turned west and into the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
View attachment 551896
Some steep curvy down grades but the first upgrade had nice straight approach. Then turned south west via Appletreewick.
View attachment 551897
View attachment 551899
Had an awkward moment; desperate to water some weeds I stopped behind two parked cars only, and immediately a motorcyclist stopped obviously thinking I had found some viewpoint.
Crossed the River Wharf on a narrow bridge hoping nothing was coming the other way, which was the case.
View attachment 551900
Then came the climb out of Wharfedale, hindered by a sharply curved approach I clambered up the immediate 11.4% grade hoping that the speed might pick up on the 6.1% false flat beyond; it did not and with a 17.7% grade looming opted for Shanks’s Pony. The decent was steep in parts as well and at the foot passed through Eastby to reach the xM of Embsay.
View attachment 551901
Heading back east the Wahoo lead me through Halton East and along a gated road to Bolton Abbey. Over Bolton Bridge on the A59 and then on the narrow road through Beamsley to Ilkley, aside from on car basically appears as a bridleway. Up the climb from Askwith to reach Askwith Moor and the decent of Swindon Bank.
View attachment 551902
Through Fewston and a default route which the Wahoo notably disagreed with to reach Penny Pot and nipped home through the Country Park. . Aside from a light shower initially it stayed dry despite a number of threatening clouds. Route map has a tracking error at Bolton Abbey where the Wahoo paused (okay, I pressed the wrong button without realising and it was not until I had turned off the A59 I noticed). Error corrected gives 52.17 miles 4332ft climbed.
View attachment 551903

That first pic is a stunner!

ianbarton

Veteran
A day of decent weather before another bout of Autumn rain. I decided to repeat my Newport (Shropshire) loop. There is a steady climb from Whitchurch to the small village of Cheswardine. As you climb there are good views over the surrounding countryside, with fields of towering Elephant Grass on either side. Once in Cheswardine it's almost all downhill to Newport. On the way, you pass RAF Shawbury which is mostly for helicopter training. It was Sunday, so nothing flying. I stopped at Costa in Newport to refuel before starting back towards home on the other side of the A49. Shropshire is good for cycling because there are a few main roads which take almost all the traffic. Either side of the main road is a whole network of quiet country lanes. It's very easy to get lost, so a map or a GPS is useful! The views on the return leg are quite as expansive. However, you wind your way through quaint hamlets and large fields, which have recently been harvested.

11-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England_02.png
11-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Newport-England03.png

GOPR7396.JPG

Cheswardine Church.

IMG_20201011_131749774_HDR.jpg

RAF Shawbury
IMG_20201011_131731015_HDR.jpg

RAF Shawbury
GOPR7401.JPG

Newport main street

Attachments

• 11-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England_01.png
    11-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England_01.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 2
Andy G spotted a weather window. Gospel Pass he asked. So I met up at the car park at Hardwicke. We had decided to save the best till last so we took to lanes new to us both heading towards Hereford. We looped to avoid the city for Kilpeck where we stopped to admire the 900 year old church with it's amazingly well preserved carving. It gets quite lumpy out this way so Cupid's Hill had to be conquered before we paused in Grosmont for lunchtime sandwiches. More climbs followed as we took in the views to the Black Mountains from Campston Hill. We dropped to cross the Abergavenny road to take the approach to the Gospel Pass. My chain broke at this point. Fortunately Andy had a chain tool so it didn't take long to get underway again. It's a lovely ride up through the valley and the climb from Capel-Y-Ffin needs a low gear but the views out over Wales and the Welsh Marches are stunning. We descended easily to pass through Hay-on-Wye and return to our cars. Lovely outing with a bit of everything today.
View attachment 551228
View attachment 551229
View attachment 551230
View attachment 551231
View attachment 551232
View attachment 551233 View attachment 551234
View attachment 551235 View attachment 551236
Kicking myself that I never went to see the Kilpeck church, we used to camp at Kington for many years. It really is a romanesque beauty. The master mason had been on a visit to Santiago de Compostella in northern Spain, so the story goes... at least i got there on my bike once.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Time to get another qualifier in towards my Lunacy Challenge and the forecast looked good for Sunday. I needed a different route to the last few times so after pondering two or three settled on heading for Lake Vyrnwy which I haven't been to since a few days before the lockdown began in March.

I had the Raleigh out and was almost ready to go when it started to rain. A check of the rainfall radar online showed that it was going to clear out of the way but probably not for another hour or more.:dry: I decided to don my waterproofs and go for it anyway, setting out into the pre-dawn gloom.

I was doing a variation of the short route out, heading round the edge of a very quiet Shrewsbury to Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Pentre, The Royal Hill, Crosslanes, Maesbrook, Waen Wen and Llynclys where I had my stop for a second breakfast. The rain was showery for the first fifteen miles but I kept the waterproofs on as far as my stop where it had brightened up nicely. Some passers by stopped to chat and as usual were surprised that I was going so far.

Setting off again I headed towards the Tanat Valley. I'd hoped that the road would be fairly quiet at this time on a Sunday morning and it was mostly, apart from a large number of tractors and trailers shuttling between farm and the fields where harvesting was going on. Luckily I seemed to catch them at a point where the majority headed the other way and only about four overtook me, with courtesy.

The volume of traffic seemed to pick up as I passed Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant and I couldn't help noticing that most were carrying a mountain bike or two. By the first steep climb of the day my legs were feeling tired already which didn't bode particularly well. My mileage has been very low the last few weeks (only two rides in the last fortnight) and it's surprising how quicly the fitness can drop away. I took the climb gently from Pen Y Bont Fawr and got up it okay, helped by the fact that there has been some proper resurfacing work on the worst bits of this road, which was very welcome. I always find climbing seems a little easier on a smooth road compared to one that is covered in lumps and holes.

Sadly the descent to Llanwddyn hasn't been touched so needed some care to avoid the worst bits, although I did notice that a shovelful of tarmac had been slapped in one of the most dangerous holes (only one of the holes mind). After winding my way up to the dam I paused to take in the view and have my elevenses stop where I got chatting to a couple of cyclists from Bromsgrove (they hadn't ridden out). I learned from them that the road round the lake is closed :ohmy: which I wasn't aware of despite having checked for roadworks and closures along the route the night before. That potentially put my plan to achieve 100 miles in jeopardy but I set off towards the closure with the intention of going as far as I could, then coming back and doing the same the other side of the lake.

The first sign to warn of the closure is a couple of miles up the road from the dam and this was also around the point where it started to rain again. It was light at first but got steadily heavier until I got fed up and stopped under the trees to put my waterproofs on. A passing walker without waterproofs says "Did your forecast have rain on it?"

I was a lot slower than I usually would be along to the far end of the lake. The road for Bala is open but going around the lake it's closed by the car park for the Pistyll Rhyd Y Meinciau waterfall and the signs are most emphatic that there is access for nobody. I have since learned that a landslide blocked the road during the storms in August and the land has to be stabilized before it can be reopened. I retraced my steps to the dam (still in the rain), crossed over and headed around the other side of the lake. This was where most of the walkers and cyclists were today, but far fewer motorists were venturing past the closure signs on this side so it was much more pleasant. I worked my way down to the junction signed Dinas Mawddwy which, as expected, is also the other end of the closure.

The rain had cleared up again so I took the chance to remove the waterproofs then retraced my steps. I found a bit more energy this time and overtook a few cyclists along the way. A lunch stop was taken back at the dam during which I noted that many more people were arriving now than earlier on, so I was glad to be getting away before it got too busy. I dropped down to Llanwddyn and began the climb back into the hills which was slow and ponderous but I made it without needing to pause. I took what is now my usual alternative way back to Penybontfawr, which proved to be much busier than I'm used to (three cars :ohmy: :laugh:).

Having avoided problems on the last few century rides the legs did start to cramp up on the climb out of Penybontfawr and knew I'd have to be a bit careful on the way back. With this particular climb out of the way though I knew that I had a long run which was mostly downhill as I made my way back along the valley and I had the wind helping. As often happens, the road was busier now, although the traffic seemed to come in waves with lulls inbetween, and the driving was less courteous than it had been. The tractors and trailers were out in force still but I didn't have a problem with how they were driven (not this lot anyhow). The driving standard got worse as I neared Llynclys with the stand out moment being a white van doing a stupid overtake in the face of an oncoming vehicle then giving me the finger as though it was my fault. :angry: Suffice it to say I was glad to pull in for my next snack stop where I got chatting to a chap I've talked to here on a previous ride.

I was pretty keen to get off the main road as soon as possible and knowing that I'd lost about 3 miles from my planned route due to the Vyrnwy closure retracing my steps through Waen Wen was ideal to regain some of the distance lost. I thought I'd make a change from this morning and go on the lane past Llwyntidmon Hall rather than the short main road section to Maesbrook but this proved to be a mistake when I came across a freshly cut hedge and picked up a thorn plus twig in the new front tyre (fitted two days ago).:angry::angry: That took a few minutes to sort out and I was just putting everything back together again when I noticed a spot in my vision that signifies a migraine coming on.:cry: I get them occasionally but have never had one during a ride before. This could have been a ride-ender but I thought I'd go on a bit and see how it developed rather than phoning for help straight away. Thankfully the distortion went to the edge of my vision for a change so I was at least able to see to ride and the couple of miles while that effect lasted were on quiet lanes where I didn't meet any vehicles. The headache itself wasn't too bad this time.

By Pentre I was running out of energy so the jelly babies were opened which helped on the nasty little climb over to Great Ness. There were lots of tractors and trailers performing harvesting operations on the way to Montford Bridge and while most were fine, one of them decided to deliberately squeeze me into the verge even though I'd slowed and pulled over to let him by when it was safe.:angry:

The last climb of note was very slow and the cramp came back again but I was able to keep moving by dropping a couple of gears, however the wind was still behind me so I got along better than expected when things levelled out a bit and the road was really nice and quiet.

One of those rides where it felt like things were sent to try me and I was very glad just to finish, but another century is bagged.:okay:

102.5 miles at 13.1 mph moving average. With all the various stops the total time finished up a couple of minutes under 11 hours.:ohmy:

Crossing the Severn at Montford Bridge shortly before dawn.

Headed up the Tanat Valley.

On my way to Hirnant.

Arrival at the lake. I've missed coming up here over the summer.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!

Heading round the other side of the lake having been blocked. The weather was a little damp for a bit.

A favourite roadside waterfall.

The sun breaks through again.

Heading back via Cwm Fedw.

Near Maesbrook. A pox upon farmers who strew the road with hawthorns.

ianbarton

Veteran
I must revisit that area as it's only about one and a half hours in the car. We used to cycle around Llyn Vyrnwy with the children when they young. A couple of years ago I cycled from Bala up over one pass, round the lake and back over the other pass. I had ridden this once about 25 years ago and it was just as hard on the legs the second time!

footloose crow

Über Member
Around Carn Brea

Truro is one of the wettest cities in the UK. Wetter than Manchester, Bangor, Lancaster, Carlisle..... but not Glasgow. It rains here on average for 150 days a year, almost every other day.

Apart from that it is a lovely place. Warm enough all year round, we only have 4-5 frosty mornings a year. It just rains a lot.

Yesterday when it was raining (again) I turned to the internet to find out how much bike weight affects uphill cycling. The answer is 1kg of extra weight slows you down by one second for every 100 metres of ascent. There are four things you can do:

1. Improve power / weight ratio by losing weight or gaining power. Or both. If that's not enough turn to:
2. Reduce wheel weight. If thats not enough then and only then:
3. Reduce bike weight. But options 1 & 2 work better. Which leaves option 4:
4. Move to Norfolk.

There is a long uphill from Redruth to Four Lanes where I contemplated all four options quite seriously, especially option 4. Particularly during the half mile of 15-18% in the middle. But at least it wasn't raining; although the weather forecast said it would so I was lugging extra weight in terms of waterproofs and warm layers. Option 5 then, wear less clothing.

Some blue in the sky and some grey and a cold north westerly wind blustering around my legs. Out of Truro and uphill taking a line northwards to avoid the traffic. I have had more close passes and seen more generally crazy driving in the last month than in all the preceding years. Outside Chacewater there is a red hatchback at a junction waiting to turn across me. I look at the driver. He looks at me. I am wearing orange and yellow with a flashing front light and going at about 20mph. He looks at me again and when I am 10 metres away pulls out in front of me. My brakes lock as I swerve around the back of the car. This keeps happening.

Out of Chacewater and I am back on quiet lanes, uphill, downhill heading through the old mining villages, the frayed granite chimneys from the abandoned mine pumps popping up every few hundred metres. Spoil heaps where nothing much can grow because of the lead and arsenic in the soil. Patchy heathlands of gorse and bracken with whitewashed cottages sunk into the ground.

A long uphill brings me up to the spine of hills that run longitudinally across Cornwall and there is the sea, visible across the roofs of Redruth and Camborne, a darker grey smudge against the lighter grey of the sky.

To the west is the TV mast that is visible across mid Cornwall, tearing a hole in the clouds.

Downhill from here through the back lanes behind Redruth before the beginning of a long uphill past Carn Brea and up to Four Lanes. Carn Brea is an iconic hill, visible from much of mid Cornwall and dominating the mining towns of Redruth, Camborne and Pool that form an untidy and intermingled patchwork of housing, new industrial estates and old mine workings beneath the hill. The headstock wheels of the mines are still visible although only one mine remains open. This is where steam powered locomotives were invented; the giant beam engines that pumped out deep mines began here; some of the earliest rail tracks in the world were laid here. Now it is one of the poorest parts of the UK and in receipt of millions of pounds of EU funding as a deprived region of Europe, along with parts of Greece and Albania.

The memorial pillar on the summit of Carn Brea is tribute to 'caring capitalism'. The Bassett family owned many of the mines locally and did a lot (well more than most owners) to improve the welfare of miners, except perhaps pay them more. When Francis Bassett died it is said every mine closed and 20,000 people followed the funeral cortege and subsequently donated funds to create the 35m high obelisk. On a clear day you can see the north coast and the south coast from here.

I planned todays route on RidewithGPS whilst eating breakfast and missed the fact that the software had diverted from the road into a bridleway at one point. I thought at first it was just a short section but slipping through the mud and bouncing off stones for a mile cured me of that belief. It added variety to the day but I was hoping not to get a puncture.

From the hills behind Carn Brea it is a long downhill to Twelveheads on tiny lanes, weaving in and out of tiny woods and granite walled Celtic fields and then a gentle uphill for 300 feet through a quiet valley, rich with autumn colours from the scattered trees set among bracken slopes. The wind is quiet and no one is trying to kill me in a car or van. I feel very content.

What do you think about when riding alone? Thoughts drift through my mind but I can never catch them afterwards. They vanish like quicksilver dreams as soon as I arrive home. I just have the pleasant ache in my legs, a throat sore from breathing too hard, a sense of having been part of a landscape waiting for winter but enjoying autumn. Damp from yesterdays rain but vibrant with turning leaves and sudden vistas towards the sea or over patchworked fields.

The final lane to home.

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 15.15.56.png

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm currently in the Djursland Peninsula in Denmark and managed to get out for a lovely ride today in the Autumn sun. I planned the route on ride with gps and had no idea what it would be like, but it turned out absolutely lovely.

I started out on roads for the first few hundred metres before turning off onto the gravel and headed North. The landscape around here reminds me a little of my native North Devon, just no where as extreme with the hills!

The route goes up and down through small copses and valleys, the scenery ever changing until a short steep swction of hike a bike brings me up onto a plateau before quiet roads lead to a small village.

From there a gravel path shadows the road for a number of kilometres, the trees forming a delightful tunnel through the trees. At one stage the path crosses the road and I'm confronted by a strange wooden contraption that looks like a shower. Bemused, I press down on the tire, to discover it's a wooden wind instrument! A fun few minutes ensue as I play around with it.

Carrying on, several kilometres of enjoyable gravel wind there way through the woods, up and down,past copse and fields we fly until rounding a corner a final tunnel of trees awaits. New pine on one side and old Oak on the other and at the very end the sea awaits.

At the sea I pause for a while before turning the bike onto the gravel track that shadows the beach for the next 4 killometres.

Then it was back inland as we made our way back. Again the gravel tracks wound there way through the forests and clearings. A really fun and exhilarating ride with some lovely short climbs and fun downhills with the most wonderful gravel tracks.

Overall it was 35km of fun with over 90% off-road. Hopefully I'll get a few more rides in whilst I'm here.

I spent my 40th in that neck of the woods (Cornwall) ohhhhh years ago now, I did take my bike but on seeing all those hills it stayed firmly inside the whole trip, last year we did a family holiday nearby there again, I took my MTB with a triple and dinner plate sized cassette and apart from the punctures and sections of trail that were just rutted fields it was great, fun even.

back in sept we did an overnight trip with road bikes, my god that was super hard work I’d say harder than any long alpine climb, what is with all the unclassified super steep hills, I swear most of the climbs went easy 15-20%

gavgav

Guru
Yesterday's ride:

Time to get another qualifier in towards my Lunacy Challenge and the forecast looked good for Sunday. I needed a different route to the last few times so after pondering two or three settled on heading for Lake Vyrnwy which I haven't been to since a few days before the lockdown began in March.

I had the Raleigh out and was almost ready to go when it started to rain. A check of the rainfall radar online showed that it was going to clear out of the way but probably not for another hour or more.:dry: I decided to don my waterproofs and go for it anyway, setting out into the pre-dawn gloom.

I was doing a variation of the short route out, heading round the edge of a very quiet Shrewsbury to Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Pentre, The Royal Hill, Crosslanes, Maesbrook, Waen Wen and Llynclys where I had my stop for a second breakfast. The rain was showery for the first fifteen miles but I kept the waterproofs on as far as my stop where it had brightened up nicely. Some passers by stopped to chat and as usual were surprised that I was going so far.

Setting off again I headed towards the Tanat Valley. I'd hoped that the road would be fairly quiet at this time on a Sunday morning and it was mostly, apart from a large number of tractors and trailers shuttling between farm and the fields where harvesting was going on. Luckily I seemed to catch them at a point where the majority headed the other way and only about four overtook me, with courtesy.

The volume of traffic seemed to pick up as I passed Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant and I couldn't help noticing that most were carrying a mountain bike or two. By the first steep climb of the day my legs were feeling tired already which didn't bode particularly well. My mileage has been very low the last few weeks (only two rides in the last fortnight) and it's surprising how quicly the fitness can drop away. I took the climb gently from Pen Y Bont Fawr and got up it okay, helped by the fact that there has been some proper resurfacing work on the worst bits of this road, which was very welcome. I always find climbing seems a little easier on a smooth road compared to one that is covered in lumps and holes.

Sadly the descent to Llanwddyn hasn't been touched so needed some care to avoid the worst bits, although I did notice that a shovelful of tarmac had been slapped in one of the most dangerous holes (only one of the holes mind). After winding my way up to the dam I paused to take in the view and have my elevenses stop where I got chatting to a couple of cyclists from Bromsgrove (they hadn't ridden out). I learned from them that the road round the lake is closed :ohmy: which I wasn't aware of despite having checked for roadworks and closures along the route the night before. That potentially put my plan to achieve 100 miles in jeopardy but I set off towards the closure with the intention of going as far as I could, then coming back and doing the same the other side of the lake.

The first sign to warn of the closure is a couple of miles up the road from the dam and this was also around the point where it started to rain again. It was light at first but got steadily heavier until I got fed up and stopped under the trees to put my waterproofs on. A passing walker without waterproofs says "Did your forecast have rain on it?"

I was a lot slower than I usually would be along to the far end of the lake. The road for Bala is open but going around the lake it's closed by the car park for the Pistyll Rhyd Y Meinciau waterfall and the signs are most emphatic that there is access for nobody. I have since learned that a landslide blocked the road during the storms in August and the land has to be stabilized before it can be reopened. I retraced my steps to the dam (still in the rain), crossed over and headed around the other side of the lake. This was where most of the walkers and cyclists were today, but far fewer motorists were venturing past the closure signs on this side so it was much more pleasant. I worked my way down to the junction signed Dinas Mawddwy which, as expected, is also the other end of the closure.

The rain had cleared up again so I took the chance to remove the waterproofs then retraced my steps. I found a bit more energy this time and overtook a few cyclists along the way. A lunch stop was taken back at the dam during which I noted that many more people were arriving now than earlier on, so I was glad to be getting away before it got too busy. I dropped down to Llanwddyn and began the climb back into the hills which was slow and ponderous but I made it without needing to pause. I took what is now my usual alternative way back to Penybontfawr, which proved to be much busier than I'm used to (three cars :ohmy: :laugh:).

Having avoided problems on the last few century rides the legs did start to cramp up on the climb out of Penybontfawr and knew I'd have to be a bit careful on the way back. With this particular climb out of the way though I knew that I had a long run which was mostly downhill as I made my way back along the valley and I had the wind helping. As often happens, the road was busier now, although the traffic seemed to come in waves with lulls inbetween, and the driving was less courteous than it had been. The tractors and trailers were out in force still but I didn't have a problem with how they were driven (not this lot anyhow). The driving standard got worse as I neared Llynclys with the stand out moment being a white van doing a stupid overtake in the face of an oncoming vehicle then giving me the finger as though it was my fault. :angry: Suffice it to say I was glad to pull in for my next snack stop where I got chatting to a chap I've talked to here on a previous ride.

I was pretty keen to get off the main road as soon as possible and knowing that I'd lost about 3 miles from my planned route due to the Vyrnwy closure retracing my steps through Waen Wen was ideal to regain some of the distance lost. I thought I'd make a change from this morning and go on the lane past Llwyntidmon Hall rather than the short main road section to Maesbrook but this proved to be a mistake when I came across a freshly cut hedge and picked up a thorn plus twig in the new front tyre (fitted two days ago).:angry::angry: That took a few minutes to sort out and I was just putting everything back together again when I noticed a spot in my vision that signifies a migraine coming on.:cry: I get them occasionally but have never had one during a ride before. This could have been a ride-ender but I thought I'd go on a bit and see how it developed rather than phoning for help straight away. Thankfully the distortion went to the edge of my vision for a change so I was at least able to see to ride and the couple of miles while that effect lasted were on quiet lanes where I didn't meet any vehicles. The headache itself wasn't too bad this time.

By Pentre I was running out of energy so the jelly babies were opened which helped on the nasty little climb over to Great Ness. There were lots of tractors and trailers performing harvesting operations on the way to Montford Bridge and while most were fine, one of them decided to deliberately squeeze me into the verge even though I'd slowed and pulled over to let him by when it was safe.:angry:

The last climb of note was very slow and the cramp came back again but I was able to keep moving by dropping a couple of gears, however the wind was still behind me so I got along better than expected when things levelled out a bit and the road was really nice and quiet.

One of those rides where it felt like things were sent to try me and I was very glad just to finish, but another century is bagged.:okay:

102.5 miles at 13.1 mph moving average. With all the various stops the total time finished up a couple of minutes under 11 hours.:ohmy:

View attachment 551966
Crossing the Severn at Montford Bridge shortly before dawn.

View attachment 551967
Headed up the Tanat Valley.

View attachment 551968
On my way to Hirnant.

View attachment 551969
Arrival at the lake. I've missed coming up here over the summer.

View attachment 551970
YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!

View attachment 551971
Heading round the other side of the lake having been blocked. The weather was a little damp for a bit.

View attachment 551972
A favourite roadside waterfall.

View attachment 551973
The sun breaks through again.

View attachment 551974
Heading back via Cwm Fedw.

View attachment 551975
Near Maesbrook. A pox upon farmers who strew the road with hawthorns.
With all of those additional events to deal with, an extra :notworthy: is deserved

Top Bottom