Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Finally a day that felt spring like and only required 2 layers, instead of the 4 that I’ve been wearing for most of April! I took a route that I’ve not done for a while, with lockdowns, which included some hills.

I set out through the local estate and then onto Betton Abbots, Berrington, Eaton Mascott, Cound and onto CoundMoor. Hardly a breath of wind and pleasant sunshine, meant it was one of those days when cycling feels like the best thing in the world to be doing.

I then climbed Kenley bank, which is always a real pull and upon reaching the top, I perched on my usual bench for a chocolate bar and breather, amongst the spring flowers, enjoying the peaceful views.

I then turned South to Church Preen and on towards Longville, which is a section that always feels like a hard effort, due to the general constant incline, before veering West to Gretton and Cardington, where I looped through the village for a change. Sadly the Royal Oak is not open, as it only has about 3 tables outside the front.

I then climbed up Folley Bank, to Enchmarsh, before enjoying the exhilarating fast descent to Comley and along to Longnor and Ryton, which helps bring the average speed back up after the climbing.

I was heading for Dad’s, so continued onto Gonsal and Stapleton. Dad’s not been well this week, with a trip to A&E involved, so it was good to see him appearing a bit better, despite worries as to what is causing the problems. My Brother arrived, with Niece and Nephew, so we sat out enjoying the sun for a while, which was nice.

I then set out back home, via Exfords Green, Annscroft (traffic lights are STILL there!) Hook a Gate and Meole.

32.35 miles at 11.4mph avg.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Much better weather than last Sunday so I braved short sleeves and shorts for the first time this year although I did take some arm warmers just in case. Set off to Loppington, Commonwood and back to Nonely so far the only traffic was a plane from Sleap going round in circles above me. Onto the Ellesmere road to Myddle, Merrington, Old Woods, Eyton and into Baschurch. Took the lane to Stanwardine, Bagley , Lee then to Ellesmere, up Swan Hill and down the now very dusty rather than muddy lane to Welshampton turning to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. 36.7 miles on a lovely sunny spring day, didn’t need the arm warmers either.
F63C70C7-4F2A-4B5D-90E4-6F465149A0B9.jpeg

04DBEE0E-AF62-487C-8E75-44BAD86E4226.jpeg

9F004C16-A1B3-4A0E-B90D-9110EA917CAB.jpeg

Pictures of Stanwardine duck pond, Hampton Wood and the tiny corrugated metal chapel at Lee Bridges which I think is still in use.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I rode my ride today on Friday, the Combwich Century (100 miles). Today is the event proper. 27 entered, 3 DNSed, so, excluding me there are 22 on the road somewhere. The finish control is officially open, but the penultimate one, the Anchor Inn, only closes at 1630, so plenty of time. It's hilly as well.
View attachment 584556
21 finished. 1 DNF, who let me know. So the control is closed and the paperwork mostly complete. Next one is this Saturday.

Mike_P

Guru
A smidge after 11 and two chilly decents straight away did make me wonder whether not using leg warmers with the bib shorts was a good idea, but I quickly warmed up spinning up Skipton Road hill and seeing another cyclist ahead on Bilton Lane the competitive nature almost kicked in with Gardeners Arm climb ahead, however a family was cycling up the hill with the youngsters zig zagging all over the place; we both cautiously passed by when the opportunity arose.
High Street and Waterside avoidance route taken through Knaresborough and as the ebike had acquired a PR going up Stockwell Lane the Defy, seeking some bragging rights in the bike shed, achieved one going down.
East on the A59, turning north to Whixley and Little Ouseburn with a couple of PRs, then north east back on the route of NCN688 over the rattly Aldwarke Bridge in a PR. South east past the disused RAF airfield at Linton on Ouse joining the route of NCN65 to reach the 3rd character AZ of Newton on Ouse.

Beyond the village I differed from the NCN route and the road used was largely of an appalling standard with the inside third completely unsuitable for cycling on. East through Shipton to Wigginton and the immediately adjoined Haxby, a town within the wider City of York boundaries.

A Komoot plotted route northwards took me onto a bridleway; nicely tarmacked and then suddenly pot holed compressed gravel – slowly progressed onwards one foot unclipped. Towards Sutton-on-the-Forest the Wahoo screen went blank; ah! thats what I forgot to do.
A couple of wrong turnings subsequently followed – the second in Huby when I realised the village was far bigger than on my previous ride through it. Tollerton reached and roads suddenly became familiar with two more PRs. The toll bridge rattled again and then through Great Ouseburn and west to Ripley. The TTLs were still in situ beyond Killinghall but for once through them non-stop.
Managed to merge the Wahoo record with one I started on the phone; 62.24 miles 1925ft climbed with an elevational profile the opposite of yesterdays.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
18/4/21
Can it really be the 31st March when I last went for a decent ride on the Linear? No wonder I’m getting withdrawal symptoms. I was going to go out yesterday but found a broken spoke in the back wheel. No spares, so I nipped off to my nearest proper LBS and got a few as if one has gone, more may follow. If that happens it might be worth getting it rebuilt with new spokes for peace of mind. I hope that it’s a one off but it’s always good to have a plan B. I managed to do it as a a “roadside repair” but in my garage, without taking the wheel off and without losing the spoke nipple in the depths of the (surprisingly deep) rim. I checked the other spokes for tension and retensioned a few so they all sound approximately the same when tapped with a spanner.

So after that frenzy of nipple tweaking I was good to go today.

A fine day, sunny but not too hot with a slight but noticeable wind. Just the battered cap and tee shirt, and my shades. Slapped on some sun cream, just got an ordinary pair of trousers with my much travelled bike clips. I bought a pair of track mitts years ago from Aldi and they just refuse to wear out so they came too. I suppose I’ll lose one now having said that.

No faffing about, straight out of the back gate and off in the direction of Wettenhall, lime green bike clips reflecting alternately in the shiny chrome dome of the remote controlled belI. I rolled slowly through the lights at Darnhall bridge and had just started to climb up the other side of the dip when a mountain biker steamed past, having taken advantage of me triggering the green while he had momentum coming down the hill behind me. He soon disappeared and I never saw him again. I would have done the same thing too. Once on the level, my average speed held for a while at 13 mph but once I turned into the slight wind on the road to Oulton Park it slowly drifted down to 11 mph. I managed to keep rolling easily and the only other cyclists I came across were heading in the opposite direction.

Speed seemed to be low for a stretch then a short downhill past Oulton Park’s weathered red brick walls gave a boost before a left turn for Cotebrook. Across a problematical poorly sighted crossroads into Oulton Mill Lane with a lazy downhill in high gear until I came across a “Road Closed” sign. There was no barrier so I carried on through. Up a slight uphill where a ginger cat sat staring in horror at the approaching apparition which was me on my bike, before arching its back and running up a nearby drive. I eased off as I approached the A49 as I could see heavy traffic speeding by in both directions. A youth on a mountain bike came up behind me as I waited for a gap. Fortunately I got across without drama (uphill start! Need for a rapid getaway!) followed by the other cyclist. I turned right at the next crossroads at the top of a short hill while the other cyclist went straight on without any acknowledgement. Into all the high gears in each range and managed to get through the dips and climbs on this stretch of road which seems to get easier each time.

Average speed still about 11mph and rolling well to the crossroads at the Fishpool inn. More hectic traffic, but got across without too much delay. Continued, passed by several motorcyclists. Strangely I felt no urge to join them. I often feel that the greatest hazard at this time of year when out on my old Honda is posed by other motorcyclists in groups as the urge to get past at any cost often over rides self preservation. As on my bicycle, so on my fuel burner, my normal mode is solitary.

The crossroads that I least looked forward to negotiating, over the A556, today at least was easily dealt with despite its width, uphill nature and curved approaches from left and right. Clunking steadily into higher gears as I approached a small summit, I found speed building satisfactorily on the other side then again as it steepened towards the bottom before rising to Delamere Station bridge. Maintaining speed steadily I saw a knot of traffic ahead at the bottom of the hill at Hatchmere where it is permanently reduced to one lane due to cars being parked on the left. Fortunately the traffic had cleared by the time I reached it. Behind me was a horse transporter van which was going steadily with no sign of wanting to overtake me as I slowed on climbing the hill. An oncoming car stopped and waited as much for the van as for me and as I pulled into my lane beyond the last parked car the van and a dozen cars which were behind it went past. As I speeded up at the summit and began accelerating down hill a white SUV slowed down while passing me and I saw an occupant videoing me on their phone before it sped off. Perhaps I am now famous on someone’s facebook page, hopefully for the right reasons.

I gathered speed to get some momentum to attack the climb out of Hatchmere which soon pushed me back to 4-5 mph as I neared the top. I was able to slowly increase on the level and then make the most of the downhill. Straight across the Norley road and then a looong freewheel through Kingsley, along Roddy Lane to Mill Lane with a right turn towards Acton Bridge. After a mile or so I came to Crowton.

On the right was a turning into Bent Lane. The sign was very faded. I must have been this way many times and not noticed it. I rode up it and a little further on was a clearer sign with a signpost. A photo opportunity!

Bent Lane is actually pretty straight for much of its length. What it isn’t is flat. It has a deceptive gradient. It is as if the landscape has been propped up at an angle. The surrounding fields and the road itself look flat but I found myself changing down. At the far end it twists and turns a bit. I came to a T junction but was unsure of the route. I was actually just off the edge of the map I had in my bag. I could see the sun on the right so I presumed that was southerly. Unfortunately that was also uphill! I toiled away getting into lower and lower gears until I was in bottom. Then came a junction with a signpost. The direction I wanted was back downhill. I turned round and zoomed back the way I had just come. This lane seemed endless. Eventually I came across a turning on the right named Barrastitch Lane which rang a bell. I turned up here and although a little uphill brought me out on to another unmarked T junction. To the left was a steep downhill. To the right was a fairly steep climb. I reasoned that If I went uphill and it turned out wrong it was easier to go back down than to go down and have to climb up again.

After a mile or so I came across a couple of horse riders going the other way. I stopped and asked them for directions. The one who answered seemed to be more interested in telling me how unsafe I looked down there and how exhausted I must be after climbing that hill. I thought her horse was paying more attention to what I’d said than she was. Actually, the horse was looking at me, and seemed to be responding as if I was talking to it. It was rather strange. Fortunately her companion was actually listening and was able to point me in the right direction, which I was pleased to hear was the way I was already going.

Eventually I came out on a familiar road and was able to find my way on to the Whitegate Way which is a fairly direct route home. On the access slope which is narrow and fenced in I ran out of forward motion just as a mountain biker in all the gear came into sight. “Looks like you’re having fun” he said. “Usually I do”, I replied, “but I’ve run out of wobble room”. Fortunately I was able to restart and get under way without further embarrassment. I stopped for a snack at a wayside bench before pressing on.

As I was about to set off a horse rider came by. She said “hello” and I responded before we went our separate ways. The horse was immaculately groomed and the rider was smartly turned out.

I debated turning on to the road at Whitegate bridge and returning via Little Budworth but as I was already rolling downhill momentum carried me away. All gently downhill to the access at Grange Lane. I was rather closely followed down the gravelly dip before the paved road by an impatient motorist but it was no big deal. Back through the sports fields where there was loud music, a marquee and what looked like children’s entertainments at the sports centre. Through the “A” frame barrier, through an estate, left down Delamere Street, then sharp right on to Woodford Lane instead of the A54 roundabout. At the bottom of Woodford Lane, cross the dual carriageway via pedestrian/cycle access, downhill then through various estate roads to my back gate.
No nipple popping spoke twanging episodes on this trip. I hope it stays that way.

Distance 29.7 miles, Max speed 32mph, Average a measly 9.4mph. It never recovered after being knocked back by those climbs.
Total Ascent:​
801​
ft​
Total Descent:
802​
ft​
Start Elevation:
190​
ft​
End Elevation:
189​
ft​
Min Elevation:
56​
ft​
Max Elevation:
305​
ft​
wait30.gif

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday’s club ride was a hilly one with 697 m (2,287 ft) elevation over 50.89 km (31.62 mi). Too many riders for one group, we split into two again and four of us set off first. A ‘green’ ride, normally ridden between 10 and 14 mph (yesterday’s route would definitely have been an absolute max. of 12 mph with a full group of newbies), the four of us being relatively quick riders and happy to ride a little faster, we held an average of 14 mph. As a result, we finished 24 minutes quicker than the other group (according to Strava). We weren’t racing though :laugh: It probably helped that one of our number was an ex-pro, who aged 69, could ride rings around all of us. I’m not even sure he broke a sweat by the end of the route.

One of our number suffered a p*ncture in the grounds of Hardwick Hall, which was quickly fixed before moving on.

Normally, we would have had a café stop on the ride, but no where was open. It didn’t help that none of us knew the route well. We did know of one place (National Trust café where the p*ncture occurred), but as it was only 15-20 minutes from the end of the route, it wasn‘t worth stopping.

Enjoyable ride in great company.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been offline for a few days so this one is actually from last Thursday: It was a nice sunny day, although a little on the cool side still and I took the chance to get out and try the Longnor, Dudgeley, Wilderley, Pulverbatch route again.

I started out over Lyth Hill which gave great views as always, then dropped into Condover and I thought I'd take the longer way so headed for Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell on my way to the crossroads at Longnor and the continuing south. On a whim I decided to extend the ride further by taking the Cardington road up to the point it starts to climb steeply, then taking a right to go through Comley and drop down to cross the A49.

I seem to have strained my left knee a little bit so the lumpy section through Dudgeley, Walkmills and up to Smethcott was taken gently and I enjoyed the scenery. The road to Smethcott is usually very quiet so meeting six cars and another cyclist must be some sort of record.:laugh: About halfway up the climb one of the helicopters from RAF Shawbury flew over at only about 50 feet off the ground.

After Pulverbatch I decided on another change of route and headed through Wrentnall and Oaks before dropping down the hill and along Long Lane to Exford's Green then over to Hunger Hill and the return over Lyth Hill.

A great ride in some nice weather. I saw my first bluebells of the season, a partridge and two red kite in seperate places.

30.9 miles at 11.9 mph average.

The view from Lyth Hill.

A favourite view of Caer Caradoc on my way to Comley.

Approaching Botvyle with the Long Mynd as the backdrop.

Near Smethcott.

Bluebells starting to flower.

At Wrentnall.

Red Kite.

The view from Oaks.

bagpuss

Guru
I have been trespassing on Rickshaw Phils lanes for the last two afternoons . On Sunday I had a short ride down to Dorrington Longnor and Condover and Stapleton and today down to leebotwood up between Caer Caradoc and THe Lawley onto Hoar Edge/Yell Bank ,what a view from the ridge! .Down to Ruckley and Acton B . Into Condover and back to Pulverbatch.
WW2 ATC at Condover Airfield

Acton Burnell Castle.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
More sunshine this morning and a make it up as I go along sort of ride. Started out to Northwood and towards Welshampton, the first road to Lyneal was closed I assume to fix the water leak which has been keeping the lane wet for a few weeks now so I carried on into Welshampton and took the turning by the church to Lyneal, past Colemere on the sailing club side to Pikes End turning up past the woods back to Lyneal. Took the lane to Loppington, Horton, Paddolgreen and into Whixall. Had a short wait for some sheep which were moving fields being efficiently moved along by two collies, carried on to Stanley Green, Hollinswood, Alkington back into Whixall, along the canal towpath passing some loose sheep, towards Northwood. Looking at Garmin I would be home having done about 29 miles so took a detour down Ossage Lane back to Horton and home. 32.6 miles.
78BCC148-A30B-4534-A564-D58322DD3D15.jpeg

B0C0B956-5D52-4BB9-9654-A922AB620651.jpeg

6A87BAA1-02D9-42F5-A5E4-17EF229BC79F.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I have been trespassing on Rickshaw Phils lanes for the last two afternoons . On Sunday I had a short ride down to Dorrington Longnor and Condover and Stapleton and today down to leebotwood up between Caer Caradoc and THe Lawley onto Hoar Edge/Yell Bank ,what a view from the ridge! .Down to Ruckley and Acton B . Into Condover and back to Pulverbatch.
View attachment 584762
WW2 ATC at Condover Airfield View attachment 584765 View attachment 584766

Acton Burnell Castle.
I'm glad you've had great weather for it.:okay:

Unfortunately, with one thing and another I haven't been out on the bike the last few days otherwise our paths might have crossed.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Caught the train towards work today, but the view of morning sunshine out the window was so gorgeous I jumped off early and did a bit of riding across central London. Oof, it was a tad chilly in the shaded concrete canyons. Should have worn more than jeans, t-shirt and jumper; gloves/mitts would have been good too, so straight to work at a fast pace to keep warm.

Better temperatures in the afternoon; so took a meandering sightseeing path via the Wellington Arch. A flag at half-mast at Buck Palace was the only indication of Philip's departure. Then a quick sprint down the Mall.
1618856633450.png

1618856705449.png

1618856825362.png

Did a detour to pass Guy's & St Thomas' hospital; which saved the life of my daughter a few years back, when she had sepsis and organ failure . So the place already has special meaning for me, but I came past this on the perimeter wall:
1618865558017.png

I'd heard of the memorial wall but didn't know where it was and had only seen a glimpse of in on the news; I hadn't realised it was hundreds of metres long. A lot of people weren't paying it any attention, but there right at the end was a mother and two children adding their own tribute. Just a little heart breaking to see.

Bike selected; CGR, as it's my work-bike
Weather; cool, no cloud, blue skies, slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used; to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Nothing much, just part of my ride to work route, as I decided to head through NewLands Woods

And on looking right...

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.u...hall-newland-with-woodhouse-moor#.YH3-fJ-SnIU
(Text states; above the first pair is a panel with raised lettering "ES", enclosed by moulding linked to the dripmould, and above the second pair a similar panel with a raised double cross of St. John of the Hospital)

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3675572
https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2085088

Last edited:
Top Bottom