Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Two rides again today, my morning commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 17.8 mph . I skipped lunch today and only had one banana all day which was a bad idea. I had zero energy on my extended ride home, 28 miles with an average of 15.5 mph. Lovely early evening but feeling really knackered.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

I'm seriously lagging behind in my Lunacy Challenge and need to get some qualifying rides done, so it was an early start yesterday morning to get a metric century in.

The forecast was for the weather to be dry but overcast so it was a bit of a disappointment to find it very gloomy with a light drizzle falling when I got the Raleigh out. I went for it anyway, popped my lights on and was on the road shortly before 7am finding the roads nice and quiet as I headed to Condover, Ryton and Stapleton initially before turning west through Exford's Green and Plealey. The main road through Pontesbury was a little busy so I detoured round quieter parts of the village then used the cycleway to Minsterley.

I'd anticipated that the road into Westbury would be busy but it wasn't too bad. The drizzle I'd been riding through eased off after dropping down the hill to Coedwy which improved my mood, especially when I turned onto the quiet lanes through Melverley and Maesbrook, although I could have done without scraping the back of my leg on the pedal at a drink stop. Unfortunately the drizzle returned as I headed to Maesbury Marsh and by Oswestry it was quite unpleasant.

I had a pause for a snack beside Oswestry hill fort and when exchanging pleasantries with a passerby, noticed the start of a migraine coming on.:sad: With that and the pervading dampness I could quite easily have called the ride off there, however I decided to ride on and see how things went.

After Gobowen the wet weather eased off again and this time stayed dry as I followed the marked NCN route to Ellesmere. Coming round a blind bend to find a van parked blocking the road with its tailboard down felt like the setup for a comedy sketch - At my pace I wasn't likely to hilariously ride up into the back though and I did appreciate the fact that I wouldn't have any cars following me for a bit.

I had enough miles in hand at Ellesmere that I could head home the most direct way. The legs felt better than on the last couple of challenge rides at around this distance, but the head was aching a bit by now so stops for photos didn't appeal as I rode through Lower Hordley, Baschurch, Little Ness and Montford Bridge. I had thought about taking a longer route round the outskirts of Shrewsbury but just stuck to the easy but busier way instead.

Despite things not going quite as I'd hoped, another challenge ride is bagged. I'll have to pull my finger out now to get the rest in.:ohmy:

67.6 miles at 13.7 mph average.

Drink stop near Stapleton. A bit of a contrast to the photo I took in the same spot on a previous challenge ride.

Near Plealey, Earl's Hill is trying to hide in the cloud today.

At Pontesbury.

Melverley church.

At Maesbrook.

Crossing the Montgomery Canal at Maesbury Marsh.

Damp in Oswestry.

The corrugated iron Methodist chapel at Lee Bridges.

Last edited:
Just a circular 5 miler today and no need for ibuprofen afterwards. Very pleased!
Canal towpath, lanes, then wide separated cycle paths along wide roads leading past acres of new developments with scarcely a sign of 'normal' life going on in or around them. Herons fishing in the canal as usual, and a heavy harvest along the lanes and the towpath of rowan berries, haws, big fat sloes, blackberries and crab apples. Many of the elderberries are stripped already and it's clear who's been doing that from the evidence of all the purple bird poo around!

Yesterday: Ride curtailed by over-long fettling session, particularly on the Scott, which was today's steed. So just a quickie to Leg O'Mutton ramp and back. The fettling had worked, and the replacement rear mech, a venerable Altus from 2001, performed flawlessly, as it always did when attached to my old Trek 800 mtb. Front mech: better, and fewer poor shifts, but chain rub only on the left fott downstroke in certain gears. Chainrings aren't bent, so wonder if the cranks are a bit loose? More fettling needed; the next ride's on the Revell mixte.
It was very obvious that I'd not ridden for two weeks. Ouch! Drink stop at the turn-around point, half way up the ramp. While sitting there, a horse and rider came down, carefully. It's steep!
Stats:

Less hilly.
There, maybe! Apart from the NCN, there's no way out of Tavistock that doesn't involve climbing. Which is why I so often use the NCN! On the road, if you want to use the A386 in either direction, it's not bad hills-wise, just bloody dangerous. However, the hills in Cornwall are very definitely concentrated into a much smaller space...Never a flat mile, as they say.
Edit: I remember back in 2018 when a CCer from Bath/Bristol way (?) @heltorchasca, did the Devon C2C and back in one weekend. It was a nasty surprise, all those hills!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Today’s ride ruined by tubeless fiasco. Drove to Clapham for another attempt on some big Dales hills. All ready but noticed front had deflated a bit even though I’d pumped it before leaving. The mini pump wouldn’t work as the valve wasn’t properly opening due to the congealed sealant. So I decided to replace the valve core as I had a spare and the plastic tool. Inflated the tyre to something that felt ok but as I unscrewed the pump the core came out with it. Couldn’t face another workout-by-mini-pump so abandoned. Put a whole new valve in at home, replaced sealant and reseated tyre with Track pump. Will be replacing with tubes when these have worn out.

Peugeotrider

A ride I've wanted to do for a while so I set of alone on it today.
Setting off from Portadown and following the tow path along the canal that goes to newry some 20 miles away.
So...set off around 12 and today...it's hot here!
I'd estimate it's close to the mid 20s here today. An awful lot of cyclists on the route but it is very bike friendly and a dam good surface.
Definitely will use it again.
It's about 20 miles from my house so I have the rack on the car,drive there,park up and off we go.
Glad I didn't puncture as forgot the pump.
If you're based in n.i... definitely try this route

[ATTACH type="full"
IMG_20210825_141015029_HDR.jpg

al
IMG_20210825_143527425_HDR.jpg

t="605999"]605999[/ATTACH]
IMG_20210825_143730633_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210825_135829819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210825_135829819_HDR.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 4

AndreaJ

Veteran
The annoying click on my better bike is looking more like an annoying wobble now so I thought I had better ride my commuting bike for a bit rather than make it even worse or have it break miles away from home.
Started off to Whixall and up to Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank and across to Alkington. Turned off into Tilstock, past the pub then the next turning back into Whixall. Came across the first hedge cutter of the year which luckily hadn’t got very far so not too many sharp bits to dodge and turned off to Steele Heath onto the Whitchurch Road as far as the first turning to Prees. Into Prees taking the lane by the fire station to Edstaston back onto the Whitchurch road. Decided to turn back onto the lanes to Creamore to avoid the traffic, and into Wem. Over the railway crossing to Aston with the worst driving of the day courtesy of a police car overtaking me on a corner with a van coming the other way! Through Aston to Barkers Green, Tilley and Loppington. Took the slightly longer way home via Wolverley to make sure it was over 50km. 32.5 miles, saw a few other cyclists, a few runners and unusually nobody walking a dog.
61782BE0-F1EC-437A-9E1D-26DB21DC9D47.jpeg

61FA0E5F-45C8-4AC7-9FA7-1724E9A59EA6.jpeg

2021_08_62_Commute_01.jpg

On the way to work yesterday...

Old jon

Guru
A cool morning with some breeze, and I want to take the fixed out for a ride downstream at the side of the Aire. To Woodlesford, and decide where to go after that.

Keep on downriver was the decision, past Lemonroyd Marina. There is a lock at the southern end of this, down to the river again. The towpath is no more, but there is a bridleway to ride on, or a restricted byway. The surface is a bit variable and occasionally muddy, and eventually there is a couple of bridges across the river. The first is footbridge wide and the second a good bit wider. I went for the wider one forgetting that the roadway is lumpy. Ah well, St. Aiden’s RSPB reserve is next.

Once out of there the village of Great Preston is visible to the right, until I turned left to head for Swillington. The first upward tending road of the morning, it took a bit of effort. Turn right to head for Garforth and at the traffic lights before the railway station turn left. Barwick in Elmet is this way and it is usually a quiet road. Not this morning, I had forgotten all the local road closures. The Leeds Festival causes closures most years, including this one. And there is a crop of extra closed roads due to the construction of the East Leeds Orbital thing. Are we sending East Leeds into space?

Scholes after Barwick, Leeds Road is closed. A bit of A64 to Thorner Lane, which is only open to residents and this cyclist. A couple of people were asking car drivers something and telling most of them to turn around and go back. Carr Lane, as has become usual, out of Thorner, and there is another driver interrogation barrier, a hundred yards or so before reaching the A58. Where I turned left to head back to Leeds. All downhill, past the clock at Oakwood, cross the river at Crown Point and home is near. The end of the street it started on, I can see home, feel the smile. A good thirty one miles of pedalling, fixed wheel is like that, and close to 1300 feet of climbing. Great, it was.

And the graphical representation.

26082021.jpg

2608elev.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Third time lucky! After having a road closure requiring a change of plans at the weekend and the tubeless fiasco described above (thanks for the support) yesterday, I finally got out to Malham. parked in Clapham then out through Austwick and Wharfe to Stainforth. Cool and brisk headwind from NE. Climbed up the flank of Penyghent and dropped down into Halton Gill. I love that road with some great views. Then a fantastic ride down Littondale until its intersection with Wharfedale. Had lunch at the trout farm at Kilnsey then down to Grassington. i appreciated the change in direction and picked up a tail wind as I passed through Calendar Girls country to spare my blushes. Then followed the way of the roses to Airton. The road then took me to Malham which was heaving and up the steep climb at the side of the cove. then back to Clapham following the outward route. Lots of cyclists out for a weekday. Did a slow 54 mile loop with 1600m of climbing.

pictures looking back to Penyghent at top of Littondale, Malham limestone scenery and the descent home looking west to the sea.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: Plans for a ride in the afternoon didn't work out but it was a really pleasant evening so I got the knockabout bike out and headed off to do a variation of my Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound route.

The A49 was nicely quiet at the start which set the tone for the ride generally - it was almost like going back to the days of lockdown. One driver went for an overtake over the ramp by Frodesley Lane Farm but fortunately for him the recent closure here was to lessen the steepness of the approaches - makes me think the temporary repair of the weak culvert is going to be there for the long haul.

At Cound Moor there were the sounds of geese overhead and in the fields to the side of me. They seem to be gathering early this year - an indication of what the winter will be like? At the end of the long straight I had a good view of the sun about to set behind the trees.

There was the smell of a barbecue on the go at Harnage and again at Cound. I couldn't make out the flag of the day as there was no wind to stir it. It was a green one this time with what could have been a regimental crest on.

I decided to take the road towards Pitchford then Cantlop again and, like last time, extended the route to Condover via the Kingstreet crossroads and Lyon's Lane then headed the flatter way home as the light faded.

It would have been better if it hadn't been as cloudy but it was a really nice late summer evening that made me relax and take it easy.

25 miles at 13.2 mph average.

Usual view to the hills from Ryton. I needed to hold the camera up to see over the maize.

The setting sun as seen from Shore Lane. The scene was much redder to the naked eye than the camera has captured.

View to the Wrekin near Harnage.

Another favourite viewpoint on Lyon's Lane. The reflectives work well - hopefully I'm very visible to other road users.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another afternoon ride on a lovely sunny day. Set off taking the shorter route to Ellesmere through Northwood and Welshampton as far as the school where I turned off down Stocks Lane, it finally looked like the farmer had actually tried to scrape some of the mud and farmyard off the hill at last. Followed a slow tractor into Ellesmere then out to Lee. Carried on as far as Weston Lullingfields, Marton and Burlton before turning off to Loppington and back home. Lots of farmers busy cutting barley in the sun and moving bales of straw which always smells of summer. 24 miles.
E7ED6837-EAA2-4AA3-9915-B04309E564BE.jpeg

7DC6143D-C0A2-4528-B376-E452F3E2063B.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
After the sort of day working, that you wish you’d never got out of bed, with nothing going well, I simply had to get out for a blast in the beautiful warm evening sunshine.

My most regular weekday route, via Meole Village, Hook a Gate and Annscroft. I almost fell off the bike there, in shock, as the temporary lights that have been there for what must be at least 6 months, with no sign of anyone working, have been removed!!

Continued on to Exfords Green, then had half an hour at dads, before heading out again to Gonsal, Ryton, Berriewood, Cantlop, Betton Abbots and home.

A perfect evening and very relaxing ride, for 16.31 miles at 13.4mph avg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With the weather having settled down, today looked good for another Lunacy Challenge ride. I didn't set my alarm quite so early as I did on monday but still managed to get on the road for about 7.40am into an autumnal feeling morning with not too much traffic on the road, as I'd hoped for.

The route started off a bit meandering, heading south through Condover to Ryton then heading back towards Condover via Wheathall and Berriewood before joining the road to Cantlop, Pitchford, Acton Burnell and out towards Longnor. I was aiming for Cardington next so carried on along the old Roman road then up the climb to Folly Bank. The climb seemed a bit of a drag this time but the descent the other side was great with the speed topping out a little faster than I'm used to.

Turning northwards again meant turning into the wind which seemed a little stronger than I was expecting. As a result, progress was steady to Hughley and Lower Springs. My fleece came off at a snack stop not far from Harley but went back on again within half a mile as that wind was still quite chilly.

Approaching the main road at Cressage it looked quite busy but there was a lull during the short time I was on it, which is always nice. I headed through Eaton Constantine and climbed to Uppington, finding this stretch quite popular with cyclists. The descent of Bluebell Lane wasn't as swift as usual due to the headwind, which I would have for a while yet - I was starting to think it might have been better to ride the route in the opposite direction, although that would have meant starting and finishing with a headwind. Around this point I wasn't sure whether I'd judged the distance correctly so took a detour through Withington on the way to Rodington Heath, Roden, Poynton Green and Astley.

At Hadnall the legs started to feel like they had a bit more energy which helped on the climb out of the village and the climb to Shotton Hall a couple of miles later. I headed through Harmer Hill and completely neglected to take any photos here or in Myddle as I'd got into a good rhythm and didn't want to risk spoiling it. Even though the road to Baschurch wasn't busy I elected to take the quieter lane through Fenemere which was very enjoyable. A detour into the old part of Baschurch was good for a change of scene before I got back on track heading for Little Ness and Montford Bridge. A nice surprise at Nib Heath was finding a traction engine stopped at the roadside.

The road through Montford Bridge was relatively busy which enticed me to take the slightly longer alternative route round the western edges of Shrewsbury, through housing estates old and new, then along the lanes to Nobold (enjoying this area while it lasts as the local plan has all this down as development land over the next few years). Dropping through Meole Brace I rejoined my usual route to find everything grinding to a halt as the Bank Holiday weekend traffic works its way through. Fortunately by this point I'm on cycleways much of the way home so avoid all of it.

67.5 miles at 13.6mph average. No quicker than last time but the legs felt better in the later stages of the ride so that I'm a little more confident about being able to build back up to the longer rides I was doing before.

Early on, view to the hills from near Wheathall.

Cardington.

At Withington. I'm not certain whether the sign is original or a reproduction but I like it anyway.

Jumping on quite a bit - the New Inn in Baschurch.

Very nice Burrell tractor seen at Nib Heath. It should have been the County of Salop Steam Rally this weekend.

All getting a bit slow with the weekend traffic.

Top Bottom