Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Not a patch on the one above ^^^^^, but here is my bit.

A grey morning but that is no hindrance to riding a bike. Which bike? Let’s take the Spa today. Where to? Difficult, that one. But go north.

And it was cool this morning too. A brisk pedal into Holbeck and out again warmed me up, cross the Aire and it is a long way up to Slaid Hill. From there to Wike and turn left to return to Harrogate Road, aka the A61, and ride to Harewood. North, that is. Take the quiet way down the hill, through the estate and multiple dog walkers. All friendly today. Had to wait for traffic when I reached the A659, I was turning right. A couple of lasses rode past going the way I intended to. They were a fair bit ahead when I could start moving again.

Cross the Wharfe, oh, did I mention the first rain shower? The road rises a bit to the right turn onto Swindon Lane. The two in front had the space to turn, I had a solid line of traffic to wait for. By the time I / we reached the bottom of the climb to Kirkby Overblow I had caught up. A phone rang, they stopped and I carried on. The views leaving the village, on the way to Sicklinghall, were really good this morning. You could see the rain approaching. At the top of Sicklinghall, the village is built on a hill, I stopped for a munch, and was passed by those two again.

Carry on, the road leads to Wetherby, and I took the right turn to Linton. That couple did also, but far enough in front of me that I did not see them turn. By the time Linton Main Street was reached I had decided to turn whichever way they did not. Wetherby it was, for me. From there, Collingham put me back on my intended course, go up Jewitt Lane.

And it was busy! Yes, Bank Holiday and various road closures locally will change traffic patterns, but Jewitt Lane goes nowhere from nowhere. Ah well. A bit short of the top I turned onto Compton Lane, which was relatively quiet. All the way to Rigton Green when things slowed down again. Police (Yes, police!) were directing drivers away from Holme Farm Lane. Odd, and I was waved through. Good. Two more checkpoints on the way to Thorner, leave there on, you guessed, Carr Lane and one more spy movie checkpoint on the way to the A58.

Turn left for the easy way home from here, in fact unless I want to ride back to Slaid Hill it is the only way home. Back across the River Aire on Crown Point Bridge, out of Hunslet by riding along a bit of Jack Lane and turn left for the flyover. Soon home after thirty eight miles of pedalling enjoyment, with 2116 feet of upness in the recipe. Worth much more than a grin.

The garthing did its usual excellent job,

30082021.jpg

3008elev.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Another ride out on the Spesh Roubaix to Naburn Marina for Cappuccino. 26.2 miles with an average of 16.9 mph.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Blackpool .... early morning weekend rides.
0700hrs on Saturday morning from Little Bispham car park.
0630hrs on Sunday morning from little Bispham car park.
Both mornings the weather was beautiful, warm bright sunshine ... and lots of people about on cycles and jogging and a few rough sleepers stirring from the shelters along the promenade .... council workers out in high numbers clearing up the rubbish and machining the surface of the beach ready for a new onslaught from the public ...
A total of 36 miles for the 2 days, 23 Saturday and 13 Sunday .....

North Pier Saturday morning.

Not sure whether this is "Lazy Racism” by Blackpool Council, ... A tribute to the Taliban, .... or possibly a scene from Aladdin ... probably Aladdin .^_^.. this is a section from the illuminations .... The prom is closed on Tuesday for a cycle through along the length of the illuminations.

There is a outdoor dance-floor near the tower that is made of marble slabs with the best of British comedy jokes all over it ... i was riding round in circles in fits of giggles .....It’s called the Comedy Carpet .... google it its brilliant.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Blackpool .... early morning weekend rides.
0700hrs on Saturday morning from Little Bispham car park.
0630hrs on Sunday morning from little Bispham car park.
Both mornings the weather was beautiful, warm bright sunshine ... and lots of people about on cycles and jogging and a few rough sleepers stirring from the shelters along the promenade .... council workers out in high numbers clearing up the rubbish and machining the surface of the beach ready for a new onslaught from the public ...
A total of 36 miles for the 2 days, 23 Saturday and 13 Sunday .....

View attachment 606830

North Pier Saturday morning.
View attachment 606831

Not sure whether this is "Lazy Racism” by Blackpool Council, ... A tribute to the Taliban, .... or possibly a scene from Aladdin ... probably Aladdin ... this is a section from the illuminations .... The prom is closed on Tuesday for a cycle through along the length of the illuminations.
View attachment 606833

There is a outdoor dance-floor near the tower that is made of marble slabs with the best of British comedy jokes all over it ... i was riding round in circles in in fits of giggles .....It’s called the Comedy Carpet .... google it its brilliant.
View attachment 606834
If you are still there tomorrow from 6pm, I believe it is the annual Ride The Lights event.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Enthused by my two recent metric centuries for the Lunacy Challenge I decided to use the bank holiday to get another one in while the weather is settled. Another earlyish start on the Raleigh and I was out into a cool and overcast morning with the intention of doing the reverse of the route from Friday, but with a few variations to keep things fresh.

The hope was that by doing the ride this way round I'd get the roads that would become busy later out of the way first. Not many people were out and about this early which gave me the chance to ride on the road round the old bypass for a change, then enjoy the road through Bicton to Montford Bridge without being hassled by the traffic (there was a petrol tanker having a bit of moment at Shelton - they realised they were in the wrong lane at the last minute and had to do a quick lane change. No complaint from me as it triggered the traffic light I needed to change.^_^). Reaching Montford Bridge I took the road to Shrawardine as the first of my route variations and enjoyed the undulating lanes with hardly a soul to be seen. Reaching Wilcott I thought I'd have a bit of an explore so headed to Kinton and took a lane I've never ridden before that crosses the new A5 and connects with the old one to take me into Nesscliffe. The speed sign triggered as I passed it - 15mph and a smiley face.:laugh:

Having passed through Nesscliffe I took the road to Great Ness and headed for Baschurch. No detour here this time but went straight for the lane through Fenemere which as always is nice to ride, although much of it is uphill in this direction. I had the road into Myddle to myself until it starts to climb up sharply at the opposite end of the village and of course a car came up behind me while I was plodding.:rolleyes:

Having turned off in Myddle I was on to lanes again through a very quiet Harmer Hill and on towards Hadnall, Astley and Ebreywood where a snack stop was taken in a gateway. I could hear the sound of motorbikes most of the way to Poynton Green (sounded like it was a motocross event or similar) and passed a group of cyclists checking their directions.

The tailwind was welcome as it helped the cruising speed along the flat roads through Roden and Rodington Heath. At Walcot I decided to change the route again having ridden this way only yesterday so took a right onto the B4394 and headed for Norton and Wroxeter instead, then took the quieter way through Eyton on Severn. The B4380 sounded really busy as I approached it but was actually very quiet and so was the road to Cressage. What really suprised me was on reaching Cressage, the A458 was completely deserted - I thought that the trek home at the end of the holidays would have been underway for many people by now. Some traffic did come in the opposite direction as I climbed up to my next turning but nothing was headed in my direction.

The lumpy section of the ride starts from here and progres slowed as I worked my way towards Harley, then doubled back passing Lower Springs on the way to Kenley Common. I saw more traffic along this road than I had on the main road, including a couple of nicely turned out Minis (original, not the new ones). A right then a left took me to Church Preen School the alternative way - a bit of a pull up the hill followed by a nice fast descent going this way.

The legs were getting quite tired by now but I plodded on up the various climbs on the way to Cardington then had the ascent to Folly Bank, which is a reasonable climb but fortunately is a fairly steady gradient from this side. At the top I found the Graham Bufton memorial bench missing and initially feared the worst but there is a note attached to the adjacent signpost explaining that it's been taken away for refurbishment.

The descent from Folly Bank was a lot of fun as always with its twists and turns. The highest speed of the trip was clocked up here - 32mph. The legs felt better as I headed northwards again, helped by the gradient being mostly in my favour for a few miles through Longnor and on towards Ryton and Condover. Although I had been lucky with the roads being very quiet so far I didn't want to push my luck and decided to go over Lyth Hill as I only have to do a short stretch on the A49 going that way. I have seen this road busier than it was, but it was probably the right choice today.

68.2 miles at 13.5 mph average. Another challenge ride ticked off.

Shrawardine.

View to the Briedden from near Kinton.

Kinton.

Crossing the A5 Nescliffe bypass - empty now but it'll be a different story in a matter of hours.

I do like this house at Harmer Hill. ^_^

Passing the ruins of Viroconium (Wroxeter).

Gateway overlooking the Severn Valley at Dryton.

The classic view of the Royal Oak at Cardington.

The crossroads at Folly Bank with missing bench.

gavgav

Guru
it’s been a dismally grey and cool Bank Holiday Monday in Shropshire. I went for a walk with friends along Wenlock Edge, this morning/early afternoon, but was back in time to get out for a bike ride as well. Cool enough to need a jacket on, for the first time in quite a long while.

I set off along the cycle paths to Heathgates, had some very courteous drivers let me across the tricky crossing at the roundabout and then went through Sundorne, before joining the still overgrown old canal path to Uffington.

From there it was mostly quiet lanes to Upton Magna, East Haughmond and Rodington Heath. I’d been cycling into the blustery north easterly wind for most of the ride until now, but it was nicer to have it behind me, as I turned south and back to Upton Magna, then Berwick Wharf and Atcham, where I paused on the old bridge

I decided to follow Chilton Lane, rather than my usual route to Cross Houses and Berrington, as I didn’t fancy mixing it with the likely busy holiday traffic on the A458. It’s a long climb up to King St, before I turned north again to Betton Abbots and home.

21.06 miles at 12.7 avg mph

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The road takes you along a ridge overlooking the southern bank of The Orwell and one of the pics I took has a line of trees in the distance that I (and @Jenkins) have included many a time here.
Suffolk in Summer.
View attachment 606629
:hello::hello: :hello: from the other side of the river on this afternoon's outing
Stratton Hall.jpg

Nothing special - and that includes the weather! Just a ride out through Levington & Nacton, taking in the minimun necessary of Ipswich and back out into the countryside for a long loop around the north of town, then out to Martlesham and back home via Waldingfield, Newbourne & Kirton.
An unrelentingly grey and cool day with low cloud and a stiff breeze - just another August Bank Holiday.
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 17-55-51 Afternoon Ride Ride Strava.png
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 17-56-14 Afternoon Ride Ride Strava.png

Yesterday's ride was a repeat of the previous one, but on the Scott instead. Before setting off, I checked the crank bolts to see if the chainset was moving, causing previously noted chain rub. A bit.
Then decided to cast an Allen key over the chainring bolts.
Oh dear...
Every one was at the very least, not tight enough, and the one behind the crank arm was nearly out.
Instant internal review of manintenance...It needs to... tighten up!
The appropriate Park Tool has been ordered.
As I progressed, I twiddled the barrel adjuster on the shifter, and everything smoothed out well. However, once the tool arrives, I will redo the front mech alignment from scratch. Do I need Loctite for the chainring bolts?
The ride itself was pleasant if uneventful, very busy, as to be expected for a Bank Holiday Monday. Many cyclists, even more walkers, and the moorland ponies took great delight in general havoc-playing with the traffic.
Stats:

This ride brings up the ton for the month, which is what I try and average. Will just about make my target for the year, I think!

Collection of rides in Anglesey, last week up until this morning.
Started out with a Newborough Forest ride last tuesday on a beautiful evening. 14 miles of some tricky gravel, powdery sand and road, with quite a bit of walking through the sand tracks.

Newborough beach very quiet prior to the bank hol crowds, fairly busy with walkers on the forest tracks though, MTB 'may' have been the best option all things considered. ^_^
On to wednesday and an 18 miler around Mount Parys disused copper mine on the north side if the island. Stonking weather again, pic doesn't really show the 'orangeness' of the landscape with bits of copper ore lying around....

Short 12 miler around South Stack and Trearddur on Friday, some pics from the cliff top.

A variety of pubs and restaurants beckoned as the crowds arrived friday pm and saturday (very lively) so next time the bike came out was sunday, with a 22 mile outing Lligwy/Cemaes area on north coast.

Some surprisingly tough hills on this part of the coast, considering how flat the terrain normally is, so a breather at Lligwy beach before heading back for a few well deserved ales.

"Are we there yet?" the impatient among you will be clamoring. Not quite.
Gave monday a miss as the head was a bit sore, but headed out on last leg at 11am today for 25 final miles.
'Proper' rural inland Anglesey, a fairly typical scene, tiny school overlooking a tiny medieval church graveyard (mmmm?), a rarely used post box and some fields with sheep in, not much else at Llandyfrydog really ^_^

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This was the sort of ride I've been itching to do for ages. The closure of the Welsh border during the covid crisis didn't help, and I was also surprised to discover that I hadn't actually got out on my own for a solo ride since the 26th of May. Time to put that right. Today I somehow managed to cram in three castles (imaginatively collectively known as the "Three Castles") and a fortified bridge into a 30 mile ride. That and lots and lots of climbing.
The "Three Castles" are a collection of Norman fortifications just on the Welsh side of the border, between Monmouth and Abergavenny, and comprise Skenfrith Castle, White Castle and Grosmont Castle. I decided to take in the fortified bridge in Monmouth while I was at it. First up, Skenfrith Castle, just a 1/4 mile from where I had parked my car for the day:

From there, I made the massive mistake of taking an apparent shortcut along the River Monnow southwards to Monmouth. Should have stuck to the main road! A narrow, bumpy, son-of-a-b***h lane that was, with at least 3 steep sections that forced me to get off and walk within the first 2 miles. I made it to Monmouth all right, and rested up for a moment by the river, getting this shot of the old bridge .... one of the last fortified bridges left in Britain:

From there, I had a decent stretch of main road, including a nice hairpin bend just past Rockfield, before heading back into the hills towards White Castle. Spotted a nice wild flower patch on the way, where I stopped for another glug of energy drink and some fig rolls:

White Castle took a little finding. Direction signs mentioned only villages that did not appear on my map, and I ended up discussing directions with some equally lost Polish tourists, who I was to encounter time and again on this ride and who ended up shouting goodbye to me as they passed me as I arrived back at my own car. I was well impressed with it, as it still has a deep moat full of water, outer walls and an impressive keep:

A quick descent and then yet more climbing followed, as I made my way to Grosmont Castle via Cross Ash and Hoaldalbert. My wife and I drove this way a few days ago (giving me the idea for this ride) and we didn't get to see this castle as we were unable to find anywhere to park in Grosmont. This time I had the advantage, as I could just hang a left at the narrow, traffic free alley opposite the village post office and cycle to the castle. An old chap immediately got chatting with me about my bike, as he had been a keen cyclist in his day. Grosmont Castle, like White Castle, has a moat. It also has a section of ramparts that is accessible via an extremely steep set of steps. Outside, there are a few picnic tables laid out in a grassy field. I liked it:

Heading back to Skenfrith was a little bit of a slog. More uphill than I had expected. Or maybe I was just starting to flag. Made it back to the car, though, to complete an epic tourist ride. Only just over 30 miles in all, but plenty of climbing, some great views over to the Black Mountains and a great half day out. Also more squirrels crossing the road than I've ever seen. The flat grey weather didn't matter at all. A great day out in Wales.
Cheers, Donger.

Edit. p.s. Great minds think alike. This was almost exactly what I was calling this hill on the way to Grosmont:

Last edited:
Nice trip down to the big smoke yesterday. Thanks to @tallliman for the train recommendation! Not the best of routes from a speed perspective- having to ride straight through the cycle lanes of Northampton and Milton Keynes and to a lesser degree Watford slowed me right down. But it was scenic and very lumpy! The route did take me down Abbey Road once I got into London so I inevitably stopped to take photos.
Would love to have another go in the future avoiding the big towns.

Top Bottom