Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
200km yesterday, roughly following the ice-bound solstice ride of ten years ago. Seven of us out on an AUK DIY event.

IMG-20211114-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20211114-WA0001.jpg

1636914346730.png

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday afternoon and another leafy path for the Defy to pass along; this time in the local country park.

West along Penny Pot then south on the B6451 up to and down Norwood Edge and then the climbs away from Lindley Wood Reservoir to Farnley and down to Otley. Having navigated slow traffic due to the TLs in the centre headed west to the ABC roadname of Ilkley Road on which is the Grove Hill Club.

Took a loop to the south of Otley along Birdcage Walk and a narrow lane to reach the A659 opposite the rugby ground. East on the A road through Pool in Wharfedale and Arthington to join the A61 north over Harewood Bridge. Then up to Kirkby Overblow and onto the A658 north east turning off onto Rudding Lane where the TLs on the bridge were green but still a slog up the climb away. Joined the A661 north west with slow moving and queuing traffic passable on the inside. Turned off and a right turn into suburbia was made easy by a car driver giving way:okay: Across the Stray and normal Defy route home. 34.67 miles 2162ft climbed.

C R

Guru
Plan for today was the Longdon Tewkesbury loop with some minor variations, aiming to be back by nine.

Last weekend I was a bit underdressed, so today I wore my full autumn kit. Fully dark as I set off at quarter past six, out through Kempsey, then left for Kerswell Green and on to Kinnersley. Past Kinnersley some pink was starting to light the eastern horizon, and I took a left towards Dunstall. The tower looked interesting in the pre dawn gloom.
20211114_063605.jpg

Next was left at the Pershore Rd, and then right by the farm shop towards Strensham. Daylight was breaking now, and as the cloud cover was lifting the temperature was dropping, so nothing for it other than working harder to keep warm. ;)

Over the M5, and then head towards Upton, which was just stirring now. From here it was the standard run to the Mythe Bridge via Longdon. For some reason it was feeling harder work than usual, not managing to achieve anything like my normal speeds around here. I finally made to the bridge, and stopped for a bite and a drink. While I was stopped there a red velomobile went past, making much better speeds than I could ever dream of.

Stomach satisfied, I was now on my towards Bredon along the northern edge of Tewkesbury. I noticed a few ponies grazing in the verges just outside the town, which made me wonder, until I saw some traveller's wagons a parked a bit further up the road. Hadn't seen any of these for the last couple of years.

My intention was to turn towards Eckington at Bredon, but there was a road closure sign at the turn, so decided to go go round the hill via Beckford and Elmley Castle. It was definitely harder work than I expected, and even the descent to Pershore, which is usually quick, took some pushing of the pedals.

Another stop by the old bridge at Pershore, and then the last leg home via Wadborough and Littleworth taken slowly, as my legs were really not up to much speed.

When I got home I noticed that the rear wheel didn't seem to move totally freely, and on closer inspection I realised that one of the brake pads was rubbing on the disc :wacko:. I wonder how many virtual metres of elevation this added to the ride. That's the fettling for tomorrow. Good enjoyable ride nonetheless, though I was still slightly underdressed.

The map
Screenshot_20211114-215107_Connect.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After what should have been a quick fettling session turned into something more protracted on Saturday my test ride on the Raleigh had to wait until Sunday afternoon. My regular Condover - Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage - Berrington route was used.

I've fitted a new pair of wheels to the Raleigh and while doing so found that the rear tyre was bulged in two places so had to get a new one of those too (have decided to try a Vittoria Revolution Tech). I neglected to check whether the spokes had been stress relieved so the start of the ride was accompanied by tinkling noises, which soon calmed down.

The A49 was a bit busy so I had to wait for a gap to get out onto it but after that it was reasonably quiet to Condover and along the road to Ryton, encountering a handful of other cyclists on the way. I'd usually pick up a tailwind after Longnor but today it was near enough a dead calm so no helping hand. One of the residents at Frodesley greeted me as I climbed the hill there and complimented me on the bike.^_^

I enjoyed swooping through the bends on the way to Acton Burnell and down the couple of short, sharp descents on the way to Cound Moor. A small gear adjustment was wanted at the turn for Harnage then all ran smoothly through Cound (a remembrance themed flag hoisted today from what I could see of it) and along to the A458. I took the direct lane to Berrington then round to Kingstreet, Lyon's Lane and back to Condover before heading back to the A49.

It's nice to have quiet wheel bearings again and my first impression is that the new tyre gives a more supple ride than the previously fitted Marathon.

23.9 miles at 14.5 mph average.

View to the hills approaching Ryton. Shame it wasn't sunny like it had been in the morning.

Showing off the new wheels. Shiny!^_^

This one came out a little disappointing; The light coming through the gap in the clouds was really orange in real life.

a.twiddler

Veteran
14/11/21
An unseasonally fine afternoon so after some squirting of oil and checking of tyres on the Linear the garden chair hits the road once more. Out the back gate, out on to Swanlow Lane, through the uphill traffic lights (which remain on green for for long enough for me to sail through) and on to the A54 roundabout then downhill to the town centre. Reach a max of 22.5 on the way down, making me wonder if the brakes might be binding. The roads are busy for a Sunday. Left at the lights on to Grange Lane then follow it to the access to the Whitegate Way. Up the steep slope, temporarily blinded by the orange eye of the Westering sun striking through the the trees. No need for any ridiculously low gears, my legs manage despite not having any testing rides since my trip to mid Wales a month and a half ago.

The surface is muddy in places and dry and gritty in others. Soon I’m annoyingly aware of an intermittent gritty grinding from the back mudguard. There isn’t much space in there particularly towards the front, and I press on, expecting it to stop once the excess mud or whatever falls off.

This doesn’t happen so anticipating a twig having got in there I lie the bike down for a look. Nothing there, so I carry on with my ride. The noise subsides at times but returns. I put up with it, making a note to check the mudguard alignment at some time after getting home.

I carry on, enjoying the autumn colours and hoping that my mudguard doesn’t collect too many technicolour leaves. The Linear was originally manufactured with a 26” rear wheel. A previous owner fitted a 700C wheel hence the limited space inside the mudguard.

I arrive at Whitegate car park and find that the conveniences, which have been closed for a good chunk of the last 18 months, are open. Being of a certain age I never waste the opportunity to take a leak so dive in to inspect the plumbing. Out again, and under way. I notice that the sun is near the horizon so press on a bit. This is not aided by the crowds of walkers, dog walkers and cyclists. There are even a few horse riders.

Feeling quite good, I glance at my bike computer to see what speed I’m doing. This is mounted on a bracket quite far forward in my line of sight, but not immediately visible when I’m looking where I’m going. I’m rewarded by the uninformative sight of two metal contacts on a plastic base. I think back to when I last looked at my speed. I’d been too distracted by the noise from my rear mudguard to be forever checking my speed. The last time was before I laid the bike down to look for that twig. I surmise that it might have fallen off while the bike was on its side. I remembered that it fell off on 17/7/21 when the bike went over while I was wrestling with a bridleway gate, when I spotted it straight away. The clip wasn’t all that secure. Annoyed, I decide it isn’t worth going back now, as I am going to go back that way later. I carry on, passing more walkers, and making room for oncoming horse riders. Quite a few family groups with small children on bikes.

I come to Kennel Lane bridge and the rideable part of the old line becomes narrower and muddy. The tyres seems to pick up more of it and the mudguard noise becomes louder. I come to a large party of walkers travelling in my direction and taking up the whole width but they are making such a lot of noise that they can’t hear me. I hang back and freewheel as the line slopes downhill at this point. I catch them up again just before a bridge carrying a minor A road over the line. It is made narrower by a row of concrete supports. Nevertheless someone at the back says “cyclist” and they all stand to one side and I go past. The line is in a gloomy cutting at this point but the sun is lighting up the colourful foliage higher up.

I continue down the slope and pass under the A49 through a wide arched bridge. The cutting becomes shallower and brighter. I continue to pass walkers and cyclists coming uphill. The line levels out and I soon find myself on an embankment. I come to a signboard and a picnic bench where I stop for a snack.

Various walkers, cyclists, dogs etc continue to pass by. While I’m putting my rubbish back in my bag to take home I hear a rustling and a very fluffed out collie type dog stops at a distance and barks at me. I say “hello dog” and it stops barking. Its lady owner arrives and calls it and they both carry on.

I head back the way I came. The slope doesn’t seem so steep and my legs manage all right. After passing through a couple of bridges I come across a horse rider stopped on the right to let a sporty cyclist with hi vis and flashing lights coming towards me get past. The horse is stamping its hooves and shaking its head so I say would it be better if I stopped and let you get past? The no-nonsense lady rider says ”Thank you. He’s just being obnoxious because he doesn’t like to stop” . Once going, the horse seems more settled, and they go past without more ado.

I keep going, and see less passers by now, as it’s getting darker in the shady parts of the trail. I pass under the Kennel Lane bridge, and the surface improves immediately. I find myself changing up, and the slope eases.

Whatever’s stuck in the mudguard is still there, but the drier surface is helping to clear mud from the tyre. I’m going well now and slowly overhaul a man jogging who is travelling at a good pace. I’m about to ring my bell because I don’t think he can hear me over the steady thump of his feet but he glances over his shoulder and moves aside.

As I approach Whitegate Station bridge the trees fall away and the trail is brighter. I pass under the recently refurbished and reinforced bridge and pass the platform and buildings of Whitegate Station.

The track is muddy in parts and the mudguard becomes noisy again. I take a detour across the car park to the conveniences and inspect the plumbing once more.

I experimentally wheel the bike backwards hoping that whatever might be lurking in the rear mudguard might be persuaded to fall out but no such luck. I put the lights on and continue on my way. I’ve ridden this and similar trails before on this bike with no mudguard problems. The mudguard isn’t loose and hasn’t moved, and the wheel is central. It will need further investigation.

It’s level then downhill once back on the trail. There’s a lot of ambient light but it’s dark beneath the trees. I stop at the spot where earlier I laid the bike down to look for the twig or whatever might be causing the mudguard noise in the hope of finding the AWOL bike computer but no joy. I press glumly on.

I stop at a break in the trees to look at the mist rising up from the fields. Although I’m on an embankment I can feel the damp chilly air.

As I trundle on I pass a couple of unlit cyclists coming the other way then an increasing light from behind heralds a cyclist in a hurry who passes me in a blaze of light and soon is gone.

Before long I am descending the access ramp to Grange Lane where I turn right, drop down a dip and am soon climbing up to the populated area. I surprise myself at how easily I am climbing. I don’t feel particularly Herculacious but I’m obviously still fitter than I thought. As I’m climbing I hear shouting and cheering across the fields and assume that something is going on at the sports centre. I pass through the sports centre car park and see a marquee. I turn a corner and see a dispersed crowd watching a football match. They are intent on watching the football so I manage to ride quietly by. It is quite misty and it is strange to see the indistinct figures running about in the gathering gloom. I wonder why they aren’t using one of the main football pitches.

As I come to a turn in the path and emerge from behind a hedge I see why. The main sports pitches are at a lower level and are covered by a blanket of mist. It is brilliant white and though the sun has set the sky is still light. The mist has a sharp line along the upper surface. Above, it is clear, below, shining white mist. My path runs straight for it and as I descend it is a surreal experience. One second I’m in the clear, next I’m in a lake of water vapour. As the path descends gently at this point I have the bizarre experience of the bike and its low mounted light disappearing from sight below me, lighting it up with a white glow from within, while my upper body is still in the clear. Unfortunately no photo as there's just not enough light. I can see along the top of the mist, and the only thing that disturbs it in the still air is me. Then I’m in a chill white soup. I slow right down. Two dark shapes appear talking loudly in front of me, then turn off across the grass and disappear. I can see the difference between the grass either side and the path in front, but not much else. Somewhere ahead a tall dark shape and a small dot turn on to the path but as I’m going so slowly they fade and disappear. I look up and am surprised to dimly see the sky and a tiny moon. The hunched dark shape of a waste bin appears on the left, then the path starts to rise. Before I know it I’m at the A frame barrier. I paddle through in the murk and then pedal unexpectedly easily up the steep lane beyond. I come out of the mist and head for the road. Through an estate, on to Delamere St, wondering at the amount of traffic which has magically appeared.

I slow down approaching the A54 roundabout. Traffic is controlled by a traffic light at the preceding exit, but traffic from Delamere St must control their own destiny. I’m still rolling as I reach the roundabout and just as I get on it I see the traffic at the lights start to move. I pedal furiously to get to my exit but get a severe dose of beeping at for my pains from someone who must not be delayed at any cost. Well pardon me for adding .002 seconds to your journey, mate. This vehicle carried on round the roundabout, so what was that all about then?

I roll along Swanlow Lane keeping a wary ear out and an eye on the mirror but despite the volume of traffic they all give me plenty of room. I’m soon home. I give the rear wheel and mudguard a good hosing but nothing unusual appears. Looks like I’ll have to get serious with the tools to solve this mystery.

Distance 14.35 miles. Max Speed 22.5mph. Average speed? Only the computer knows, and it ain’t telling.

��

Total Ascent:​

408​

ft​

Total Descent:

407​

ft​

Start Elevation:

184​

ft​

End Elevation:

185​

ft​

Min Elevation:

121​

ft​

Max Elevation:

284​

ft​

According to Bikehike

Last edited:

Fat Lars

After what should have been a quick fettling session turned into something more protracted on Saturday my test ride on the Raleigh had to wait until Sunday afternoon. My regular Condover - Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage - Berrington route was used.

I've fitted a new pair of wheels to the Raleigh and while doing so found that the rear tyre was bulged in two places so had to get a new one of those too (have decided to try a Vittoria Revolution Tech). I neglected to check whether the spokes had been stress relieved so the start of the ride was accompanied by tinkling noises, which soon calmed down.

The A49 was a bit busy so I had to wait for a gap to get out onto it but after that it was reasonably quiet to Condover and along the road to Ryton, encountering a handful of other cyclists on the way. I'd usually pick up a tailwind after Longnor but today it was near enough a dead calm so no helping hand. One of the residents at Frodesley greeted me as I climbed the hill there and complimented me on the bike.^_^

I enjoyed swooping through the bends on the way to Acton Burnell and down the couple of short, sharp descents on the way to Cound Moor. A small gear adjustment was wanted at the turn for Harnage then all ran smoothly through Cound (a remembrance themed flag hoisted today from what I could see of it) and along to the A458. I took the direct lane to Berrington then round to Kingstreet, Lyon's Lane and back to Condover before heading back to the A49.

It's nice to have quiet wheel bearings again and my first impression is that the new tyre gives a more supple ride than the previously fitted Marathon.

23.9 miles at 14.5 mph average.

View attachment 617873
View to the hills approaching Ryton. Shame it wasn't sunny like it had been in the morning.

View attachment 617874
Showing off the new wheels. Shiny!^_^

View attachment 617875
This one came out a little disappointing; The light coming through the gap in the clouds was really orange in real life.
Reading about stressing your spokes brought back a memory of mine when I had attempted to replace a broken spoke and couldn't get it true so took it into the LBS. I got it back and tried it out straight away. Unfortunately I must have done some damage as going over a bump well into my training ride and about 2 hours from home I heard a loud twang and abruptly stopped. The wheel was about 4 inches out of true and the rim destroyed. Unridable. I have never done any wheel truing since.

pjd57

Veteran
Plan yesterday was a run out of Glasgow through Paisley and Lochwinnoch ,carry on to the Ayrshire coast and then a train back to the city.

But the weather by the time we reached Lochwinnoch was very wet and misty , so we ditched the planned route over Fairlie Moor and just detoured back towards Glasgow.
Mileage wise it was around the same.
strava446423195410660332.jpg

Tribansman

Veteran
Got the train out to Ipswich to pick up eBay purchased single speed bike.

Then cycled the 100 miles back to pick up mini T from school. Cracking ride, loved the simplicity of just pedalling and it's in great nick. Struggled when gradient exceeded 7% but that was only a couple of climbs. Mixture of A-roads and lanes, all pretty quiet so a lovely chilled ride through the Suffolk, Cambs and Herts countryside. Stayed dry and virtiually windless so conditions favourable.

Mini T excited to see another new bike and see if he could beat me in a few sprints on our ride home. The little pest kept his biggest effort for the steepest, not bad tactics for a 7 year old :laugh:

Averaged just over 16mph. Chuffed with that as was a month ago that I broke my sternum.

20211115_093944.jpg

20211115_140348.jpg

20211115_151755.jpg

Me and the Missus havent sat astride a bike for the last 2 months so decided yesterday since we both had the day off,to go for a gentle pootle. We decided to do a out and back up the Lea valley Canal path to West Ham. When I say pootle we only averaged 9 mile per hour
It was pleasant apart from one incident. We came up behind a middle aged woman with very long dyed ginger hair dressed very much Hippie style. We both slowed ,dinged out bells and even gave out a good morning. She did not react or move out of the middle of the path. No problem we just went around her on the grass. This raised a torrent of abuse, you should slow down, ring your bell etc etc.
I took her as just being one of those people who hates cyclists and will shout at anyone so ignored her. My Missus was quite upset that she may have done something wrong. I assured her it was just a cycle hater and engaging with her would be completely pointless and just make it worse.

A hour later we came back the same way , in front were a family of 4 and the lady was stood by the path telling them all off. I told the missus to stay close carried on at just above walking pace, the woman of course gave us some gob. I then looked back to find my Missus had stopped to take issue with her . I groaned and went back. She was not shouting but was in conversation mode. Turns out she lives on one of the boats and simply does not want ANY cyclists cycling past her "home". My missus was trying to make a case for people cycling on the path but the woman was not having it. In her opinion all cyclists should dismount when a pedestrian is come across.
I wondered how many cyclists this woman actually shouts at every day, must be quite a few.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Me and the Missus havent sat astride a bike for the last 2 months so decided yesterday since we both had the day off,to go for a gentle pootle. We decided to do a out and back up the Lea valley Canal path to West Ham. When I say pootle we only averaged 9 mile per hour
It was pleasant apart from one incident. We came up behind a middle aged woman with very long dyed ginger hair dressed very much Hippie style. We both slowed ,dinged out bells and even gave out a good morning. She did not react or move out of the middle of the path. No problem we just went around her on the grass. This raised a torrent of abuse, you should slow down, ring your bell etc etc.
I took her as just being one of those people who hates cyclists and will shout at anyone so ignored her. My Missus was quite upset that she may have done something wrong. I assured her it was just a cycle hater and engaging with her would be completely pointless and just make it worse.

A hour later we came back the same way , in front were a family of 4 and the lady was stood by the path telling them all off. I told the missus to stay close carried on at just above walking pace, the woman of course gave us some gob. I then looked back to find my Missus had stopped to take issue with her . I groaned and went back. She was not shouting but was in conversation mode. Turns out she lives on one of the boats and simply does not want ANY cyclists cycling past her "home". My missus was trying to make a case for people cycling on the path but the woman was not having it. In her opinion all cyclists should dismount when a pedestrian is come across.
I wondered how many cyclists this woman actually shouts at every day, must be quite a few.
Mental health services are inadequate. Maybe this person is struggling with her demons.

Not sure I'd be able to remember that if she shouted at me!

Old jon

Guru
A bit dull out there this morning, but I did have a go at sorting out the front wheel of the fixed yesterday. So it seemed like a good idea to find out if it worked.

And it did. But I will keep a check on it for quite some time I think. I chose a simple flatlands route today, one of the regular rides when I take the fixed out. The usual detour around Holbeck, away towards Crown Point and to the Armouries and the track downstream. Very quiet this morning, cross the river, just where the Aire and Calder Navigation starts. A bit lower down there is another bridge, back across the Aire on that and a cormorant flew across my track in front of me. Don’t often see them that close, the pic was taken on the East coast.

Cormorants.jpg

Keep going downstream, Thwaites Mill is next. The river is away out of sight on my left and the canal is to the right. Turn right, before reaching the mill, and cross the canal. A bridge is available. A leaf covered track leads to the next bridge, up a steep ramp. Lift the bike over the armco at the top, cross both bridge and road, so back with the canal on the right. And descend to towpath level again. Down this, hardly the stairway to heaven . . .

BridgeNFixed01.jpg

After that it is easy riding, and peaceful too. OK the M1 crosses both waterways, but high up enough to mute the traffic noise. Nothing but the breeze moving on the canal, on this stretch. Reach Fishponds Lock and cross the canal again, another length of leaf covered track which eventually reaches Woodlesford Lock.

Then back on the road, rising to Swillington and beyond, on the way to Garforth. The view towards Hook Moor was shrouded in mist, this mattered little as I was going there anyway and would have a closer view. A free run around the roundabout there, first, then up to cross the railway lines, staying on the A642 all the way to the roundabout above the M1. Straight on to the gates at Lotherton House and then turn left.

From Aberford, take Cattle Lane to Barwick, and then Scholes. A very short length of the A64 and a bit more bike carrying to put tyres on tarmac on Thorner Lane. Skeltons Lane follows and Red Hall Lane goes to the A58. And I go left there all the whizzy way back to Leeds’ centre and cross back over the Aire at the Armouries. Very close to home now, a grin found its way to my face and at my front door thirty miles after leaving it, with 1368 feet of climbing in with all that. A good ‘un, and the front wheel is too!

The garthing's contributions . . .

16112021.jpg

1611elev.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
We're in the Lake District this week. This is the pick of the rides I've done so far.

It was Mrs. jg's turn to go out this morning so after she'd completed her circuit of Derwentwater I grabbed an early lunch and set off for the Newlands valley. After picking my way carefully through the traffic congested lanes of Braithwaite I was suddenly free in the open countryside round the back of Catbells.

20211116_114947[1].jpg

Newlands valley side of Catbells

There was a playful breeze ruffling the fallen leaves as I pedalled on but nothing to hinder progress. What did hinder progress was Farmer Palmer herding a flock of Swaledale sheep along the road, riding a quad and accompanied by the obligatory slavering collies. It gave me an excuse to stop for a blow and take some more pics.

20211116_120846[1].jpg

Upper Newlands valley

Those hills are Hindscarth and Robinson (I think). Named after a local firm of solicitors (possibly). Once the sheep had been shooed into Keskadale farmyard the real graft began with a short single chevron climb into the upper valley. It's a magnificent prospect from the top of this climb. The hills at the top of the valley huddle together and a ribbon of tarmac can be seen climbing between them while the tresses of Moss Force draw the eye away from the pain to come.

And come it does. Double chevrons on this section and that playful breeze is now a powerful, spiteful monster trying to hurl me back to Braithwaite. I gave up. Forced to a standstill, once my left foot had dabbed the road I knew I'd be unable to start pedalling again into such a strong wind on such a steep gradient. Another excuse to get the camera out then.

20211116_123241[1].jpg

Moss Force near Newlands Hause

After walking up the final 200m of the pass I raced a couple of cars down the other side into Buttermere.

20211116_124033[1].jpg

Buttermere Bentley

20211116_124212[1].jpg

Buttermere

High Stile and Red Pike in the background (I think)

20211116_124914[1].jpg

Crummock Water

Had a wonderful ride along the lake side with a now friendly wind bowling me swiftly along. The scenery, although still picturesque was becoming much less dramatic as the road dropped towards Cockermouth. That wasn't on my route though and I took a tiny lane that brought me to Hopebeck. The turn off this lane onto an even narrower one was blocked by a bloke sat in a blue VW staring at his satnav. I got off the bike and squeezed past the front of his car which galvanised him to action and he sped off towards Buttermere.

20211116_131529[1].jpg

Skoggy lane at Hopebeck

Two minutes later as I was cranking up the side of Hope Beck a car came speeding up behind me. Guess who? Yes it was the blue VW. I did the right thing and stopped to let him by. Didn't get even the faintest acknowledgement from blue VW bloke. Grrrr! But less than thirty seconds later guess who's coming back down the hill towards me? This time I rode on, making it clear it was his turn to stop, which he reluctantly did.

20211116_132134[1].jpg

Gated road above Hopebeck

Once through the gate the surface of the road became much smoother and the climbing was benign compared to the Newlands valley so I made good progress to the top of this pass. At the top I could see heavy showers queueing up to the west so I didn't hang about. There's a bit of a rollercoaster from here to the B5292 which climbs easily up to Whinlatter Pass. All that was left was a screaming descent into Braithwaite for a huge mug of tea and a slice of Bryson's Lakeland Plum Bread.

1637082362456.png

Attachments

• 20211116_132134[1].jpg
    20211116_132134[1].jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Reading about stressing your spokes brought back a memory of mine when I had attempted to replace a broken spoke and couldn't get it true so took it into the LBS. I got it back and tried it out straight away. Unfortunately I must have done some damage as going over a bump well into my training ride and about 2 hours from home I heard a loud twang and abruptly stopped. The wheel was about 4 inches out of true and the rim destroyed. Unridable. I have never done any wheel truing since.
Sounds a bit like my first attempts at spoke replacement and wheel truing.:shy: It's worth persisting with as it's a useful skill to have and not as much of a dark art as it is sometimes portrayed.

Top Bottom