Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Steady run for me today . Make miles while the sun shines , been my order of the day.
A fast group past me at Dalbury Hollow , with tired legs from yesterdays ride I soon gave up any notion of getting a tow .:eek:
Continuing to Sutton , Church B Airfield & Foston . I noticed the A50 was very busy with West bound traffic as I spun along the Cycle path . This is on the part of the old A 50, from HMP Foston Hall to Sudbury .Past Sudbury Hall .Down hill from Doveridge to raid Starbucks at Uttoxeter A50 services . Refuelled I rode back up hill to Doveridge and back towards Sudbury .
I gave up my plan to ride to Somersal Herbert due to hedge cutting and a very poor road surface. Another back lane took me to Oaks Green . Here left for a short section of the A515 . Hanger right to Boylestone .

The top of Harehill at Boylestone which has great panorormic views on all side . I had forgotten my camera so a M/P picture will have to do .
Down to the Village proper and to Church Broughton . Here I joined my outward route and returned home .

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Friday – A bike emerged from the shed for the first time this month. Day off work and a planned outing on the Defy scuppered by an expected DPD delivery of a new mobile. Enough time before hand to use the ebike on a Lidl trip; more successful than the last one as I did not leave my keys their. Roadworks precluded a necessary right turn off the A59 so the bike wheeled pass then at the low point of Bilton Lane the remains of a line of sandbags.

Down the Beryl Burton Cycleway to Knaresborough where last weeks InTheWater Marigold Cafe had returned to being on Waterside. As the battery indication had been stuck on half full for the ride so far I decided against overly flattening it by going up the climb of Castle Ings and instead almost immediately came to a stop while a delivery van squeezed behind a smaller van and a wall. A car driver thereafter gave me right of way across the B6163 onto Abbey Road.

Returned down Castle Ings and up the A59 hill; standing traffic from the TLs at Forest Lane Head overtaken and made the required right turn with only the briefest of stops for once. The Starbeck branch of NCN67 showed clear evidence that the stream alongside had not been its normal docile self.

14.04 miles with 896ft of elevation and two-fifths of battery left.

DPD turned up after a brief panic of the supplier messaging me the mobile had been delivered before it actually was. As I had expected it needed a nano sim so another outing for the ebike, this time into town to the O2 shop for a sim swap and also picked up some potato flour from Holland & Barratt. On the return at a set of TLs a pick up had stalled and traffic was overtaking it; of course just as I did the lights went red and then the pick ups engine started. A momentarily hesitation then when the lights turned green until I realised the pick up driver was giving me right of way. 4.06 miles with 338ft of elevation and one virtually flat battery.

Saturday and the Defys turn. A warm southerly said the forecast, certainly a southerly but once out of the door a quick U turn made for a gilet. Followed the cycle route to the B6161 rather than using the A59, a bit warily through the wooden bit given the scattering of thin branches. Through Hampsthwaite I had noted the front derailleur was not changing the chain off the smaller chainring so stopped at the top of the climb to Clapham Green and fiddled with the cable adjuster, then down to Birstwith. There were a couple of sections of almost half flooded carriageways but I presumed the closure due to flooding last week was further on where the road is close to the River Nidd.

Through Darley, onto the B6451 down to the mill, up to Dacre and down to the second word ABC of Dacre Banks.

The climb into Summerbridge, an arrow the wrong one on the OS, I had mistakenly hoped for a tail wind but it needs a SSW not a southerly – plodded up it but still quicker than I managed it in two attempts last year.

Ups and downs on the B6165 to Ripley and then along NCN67 Nidderdale Greenway as I did not fancy the wind through Killinghall and on the B6161. 22.71 miles 1864ft climbed 11.6mph avg.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
No photos, but something quite special yesterday.

I had been trying to get a 50k ride in for the monthly challenge. A bit time-constrained due to work, so had done a 30k loop just after lunchtime, stopped to do a few work things in the afternoon, then back out for another ride after 5 to make up the distance.

So riding just before 6, which is just after sunset. On a farm road, just outside a large town. Lights on.

As I approached a bend, heard a noise to the right, and caught some movement out of the corner of my eye.

A young deer jumped through the hedge onto the road beside me, ran alongside me for a few seconds, then crossed in front of me and jumped over a gate on the left into some woodland.

Quite special.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a lovely day for a bike ride - compared to the rest of the month that is. There was still quite a bit of a breeze, especially on the open bits (of which Suffolk has quite a lot), but it was mostly from the south and was accompanied by sunshine all the way.

Today ended up being my longest ride of the year so far at just over 50 miles. The boringly normal bit was getting to the west of Ipswich and then it was out to Bury St. Edmunds on mostly 'B' or unclassified roads through Burtall, Kersey, Little Wadringfield, Lavenham, Shimpling, Stanningfield & Nowton followed by a short break at Bury before getting the train home.

Just to prove that Suffolk isn't as flat as some people like to think, this is a view of the rolling countryside that we do have
Towards Alpheton.jpg
plus a picture of the snowdrops in the grounds of Stanningfield church

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As usual some enviable accounts in this thread :smile:

Circumstances finally conspired to get me out on the bike yesterday, for the first time in over three months.

Braced for disappointment after months of self neglect / abuse and apathy in the face of the grotty weather I sold myself the idea that just getting out had to be a win and the sun was enough to tip me over the edge.

I finally got out at about three and did a shortish, familiar local loop. It was warm in the sun but the temperature quickly dropped away in its absence. The wind was obvious throughout; largely at my back on the way out and very much against me on my way home. Usually I try to plan for this in my route so that I get the worst of the wind at the beginning of the ride - however this would have meant heading out South on pretty nasty roads.

The roads were fairly kind, with less traffic than I'd expected and everyone was pretty considerate (I didn't feel the need to verbally abuse any other road users for once!). The worst muppetry being two (separate) women who thought it was OK to overtake me on a blind bend as long as they were going really slowly...

The sun had brought out a fair few folk, yielding some welcome positive (if fleeting and shallow) interactions with dog walkers, horse riders, drivers and surprisingly few other cyclists now I think about it.

Seems I managed to get the ride length right as heading back into the village my extremities were really starting to get cold as the shadows grew and I had very little left in the tank. Unsurprisingly the numbers were pretty sad - around 22 miles at about 11.5mi/hr and an average heart rate of 153bpm; so lots of effort for not a lot of speed; although the wind evidently didn't help.

I was aware of my high heart rate throughout although somewhat oddly it felt manageable despite being consistently on the high side, while I was both surprised and lucky that my Asthma left me alone.

Usually I'm conscious of the point in a ride when the endorphins hit and I find myself just smiling for the pleasure of being out; however I didn't get that far this time. Mentally I don't feel the usual step-change post-ride if I've gone out feeling miserable, but I do feel better for it with a bit less negatively / more perspective. I also got a significant and enduring afterglow in my chest and stomach, which felt like something positive was going on..

Anyway, lots of words for a short and unremarkable if significant ride. I'm really hoping it marks the beginning of more regular excursions as I could really use some dopamine from something other than carbs and alcohol..

Last edited:
Sun 27th
Bike selected; CGR, I knew it would be muddy, indeed even 'grotty'!
Weather; cool, some sun, blue-ish skies, a slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used, to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Just a local, mainly, off-road potter about
No particular place to go…

Partially on an off-shoot of the ‘Trans-Pennine Trail’, & the ‘Wakefield Wheel’

NewLands Lane, towards the Pond
This was taken about 11:30, so it must have been colder than I thought overnight!!
It's just over the bridge, to the left, with the anglers vehicles breaking it en-route to the 'Pylon-Pond'
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2735074

At the 'cross-roads', where I turned onto an arm/off-shoot of the Trans-Pennine Trail, the track is being gravelled
At the moment, it's like riding on railway ballast, & I wouldn't have fancied my chances of riding back up it!

Looking towards where I was stood; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3520331
It can be seen descending to the pond, here; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3520330

Further down towards the largest pond (ex clay extraction, for the brickworks)

I passed through this, but the present track isn't shown on this version of the map; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2667767
See the previous Geograph link, as that's the top end of the trail, from this barrier!

I rode along a compacted gravel 'road' that was put in place, when Kirkthorpe Weir Hydro-Electric was being constructed, it 'shadows' the railway, entering Kirkthorpe under this bridge; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6093263

Half-Moon was the next spot
An ox-box lake, created when the railways arrived in the mid-late 1830s, & an embankment was built, re-routing the River Calder
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6452125

There is a curious little 'boat-house' there; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6452152
https://britishlistedbuildings.co.u...ank-of-the-half-moon-lake-warmfield-cum-heath
Who it was built for is an odd point, maybe someone in one of the bigger houses up at Heath??

Through the Ash-Fields, & over the 'Blue Bridge'; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/959995
There were settlement ponds here, from the Wakefield Power Station

Along the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, from Broad-Reach Lock, via the tow-path to 'Stanley Ferry'
A 'flood-lock'; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6790582

Past the new Ramsdens Bridge, a swing-bridge, but now only foot/horse/cycle-traffic, not vehicles; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5701925

The 'Trash-Screen Bridge' behind the 2 aquaducts, shows the remnants of last weeks high water levels
(the Calder is now about 15 foot below the bridge; normal levels!!)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/7045295
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4742071
Rising waters; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4740035

Entrance to the Upper Cemetery, showing the state of the bike

The last call, was to look at one of the remaining brickworks chimneys, but the approach to it is across a very clay-based soil field
This was the only location that I lost traction all the way round!!!
(Schwalbe Marathon tyres)

Edit @20:42
This was the Trash Screen Bridge last Saturday about 14:30, & it got higher over the day/evening

A46906E9-65FB-46D3-9A9B-C87F5C97BC97.jpeg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My longest post-covid ride so far, but only just. Rode 22.1 miles out to Frampton on Severn and back, taking in a couple of little lanes I'd (remarkably) never ridden before. Just a gentle ride, rarely reaching club ride speeds, but it was quite enough for me. Checked my heart rate soon after arriving home and it was 144bpm. An hour later and it is still about 25 higher than my usual resting rate. Clearly I'm going to have to keep being careful and make only gentle increments to the distance/speed/effort rate on my rides, but I am making progress. As you can see, it was a glorious sunny day in Gloucestershire, so it was great to get out there. This was the swollen River Severn at Stonebench near Quedgeley:

I decided not to avoid the short but punchy little incline at Elmore, as I need to make sure I don't avoid hills altogether. Going that way is quite rewarding as it is a nice little lane to Epney via Longney, with some great little half timbered cottages along the way:

After Epney and Frampton, I detoured down a little lane that I've only just noticed on Google Maps. I always thought it was just the entrance to the Cullimores gravel depot so I've passed it dozens of times, but it turns out that it leads to a small collection of houses gathered around the River Frome opposite the weir and mill pond at Fromebridge water mill l before returning to the A38. Before my climb up the short hill on the A38 to Whitminster, I also hung another left along a dead end lane to the Fromebridge Mill Inn on the opposite bank, which I had also never ridden before:

Back home via Saul Junction, Epney, Moreton Valence and the A38 again. My heart rate is still in the high 90's after typing this! Looks like it will be a long road back.

geocycle

Legendary Member
February finally relented and sunshine replaced the storms of recent weekends. Still cool and a moderate south easterly wind made the return hard. Headed out to the Lakes and made it to Fell Foot park at the very southern tip of Windermere. Route took me north through the Silverdale and Arnside AONB, cross the deer park of Dallam Tower and then the flatlands of the Kent estuary. Crossed the Lythe valley to Witherslack, a limestone promontory that radiates south from the Lakes. Went up a steep climb to High Newton then picked my way to Fell Foot. Standard National Trust fayre in the old boat house. Then a monster climb up Gummerhowe and then back roads to retrace my steps with some subtle variations. Was hard work riding back in the wind and feel distinctly weather beaten. 63 miles or 102 km and 1500m of climbing.

Picture of the cafe at Fell Foot and up the lake from the jetty.

Last edited:

bagpuss

Guru
With no particular destination in mind, I pedalled up hill out of our estate, and thought 'left or right' at the top of the road? After a quick ponder, I turned right and headed towards Kedleston. I was soon spinning through the grounds of Kedleston Hall, which were splendid under the crystal blue sky & winter sunshine. I found my way up Buck Hazels Hill, following the ridge along and over the A52 down to Long Lane. The steady up hill climb to the village of Alkmonton was the next part of my ride. Thence, down Cubley Bank and to the Howard Arms, over the A515 and into Marston Montgomery, where crocuses and snowdrops vie for control of the verges. After a photo stop, it was down Marston Bank and into Rocester, where I raided the Spar shop for some goodies for lunch. From Rocester, through Denstone, and over Quixhill, which for me wasn't very quick! Down to Ellastone, and into Norbury for an early lunch on a well placed stone wall by the river. Passing the old railway station on my left and up the hill, I turned left for Snelston. The long freewheel to said village was a delight. Another photo opportunity was taken in the village. From Snelston I headed up hill as I did so the Church bells chimed Miday . Finding my way into Ashbourne, which was being boarded up for the forthcoming annual Shrovetide football match, wher the Uppards & Downards do battle. Up the main road out of Ashbourne. From here my ride went T-shaped, I called in to see a life long friend at the top of the hill, where tea and scones were the order of the day. After 3/4 hour of yapping, I sallied forth to the village of Bradley, crossing the old threshold of RAF Ashbourne (a WW2 training station, of which little now remains). More tea duly followed at another friend's house in Bradley. On leaving there I met another friend who was out on his bicycle and we rode through the lanes to Brailsford, shooting the breeze as we went. Here we parted company, and I continued through Ednaston, Hollington and down to Longford. The final part of my ride took me through Thurvaston, Trusley and Dalbury Hollow & back into Allestree. A splendid spin in glorious winter sunshine & enough tea to float a boat.

The village P.U.M.P ,pump at Martson Monty

Kedleston Hall Park from a previous ride. Note leaves still on trees.

The Weaver Hills from the top of Marston Bank.

Snelston village I reckon the time is out on my camera!

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday and the Defy once again seeking to avoid the worse of the twigs on the cycle path to the B6161; a gusting south easterly was evident as I headed northwards through Killinghall and along the A61 to Ripon; the 14.2% max climb at Wormald Green was noticeably windless.

Onto the B6265 pass the Racecourse and over the River Ure. As the road twisted through Bridge Hewick a headwind struck and I was glad I was turning off to Copt Hewick and then to Rainton for a snack break. A sign declared “Bridge Closed” which was a bit of a worry as the only bridge I knew of was the one across the A1(M) but then I came across the same sign in the opposite direction and indeed the bridge over the A1(M) was open. Thereafter across the A61 onto a road a patchwork quilt of patching; I sought to avoid the rougher / lumpier ones. Through Melmerby and Wath to the second word ABC of Norton Conyers; a parish dominated by Norton Conyers House, a Grade II* listed building.

Heading south a noticebly cropped hedge to the east side of the road gave way to an open boundary and the cross head wind slowed progress to Nunwick. More buffering boundaries onto Hutton Conyers and beyond to the A61. Down Hutton Bank, across the Ure once again, and pass Ripon Cathedral to pick up the route of NCN688. I paused for another snack break just before crossing the bypass and then discovered an aquatic route ahead in Littlethorpe. I kept one foot on the muddy bank on the right side of road as the bike progressed through just in case their was a hidden pot hole.

Beyond Bishop Monkton again the wind was more than a niggle and I turned up the more sheltered narrow Straight Lane to Burton Leonard where a sunny bench was acquired for a further snack. Out of the village towards Copgrove the road descends which usefully mitigated the wind. A slog followed up to Farnham crossroads and onto Knaresborough where after climbing up Boroughbridge Road a further bench was acquired. Up the A59 hill, along Bilton Hall Drive and the full length of Bilton Lane.
42.37 miles 2343ft climbed 12.6mph avg

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
A lovely sunny morning although it was still frosty when I left to ride to Ellesmere to meet up with the Sunday group ride. 6 of us were out today and one of my suggested routes was chosen which doesn’t involve any Welsh hills.
After everyone had admired my new bike we set off through Ellesmere past the marina to Tetchill, Hordley, Bagley and through Weston Lullingfields to Baschurch. The road works in Baschurch have finally finished but they hadn’t done a very good job cleaning the road off with lots of stones left on it. Took the turning at Marton to Burlton and over the road to Loppington and Horton where we had a short stop for those who wanted a snack along with a plea to slow the pace down a bit We got moving again to Northwood where one of the groups tyres exploded with quite a bang, we all waited/ helped while he sorted it out before carrying on to Welshampton and back to Ellesmere for our usual coffee at The Boat House. There were bikes in every available space at The Boat House with lots of other groups there and an Audax event passing through. The usual ride home via Coptiviney, Welshampton and Northwood.42 miles in good company, mostly in sunshine although it was a bit breezy.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Out at 9:30 this morning, in winter layers and gloves. Then back in for a buff too.
Was a little nippy in the shaded sunken lanes, but the beautiful sun made it worthwhile.

Did a 30 mile lumpy loop of the Greensand Ridge and North Downs, all taken at a gentle speed - which meant hordes of thin young people kept zooming past and making feel old.
1645994735688.png

1645994788688.png

1645994843751.png

Top Bottom