Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
First long ride of June due to family events. Had decided to take a day off some time ago with a view to cycling in the Eden Valley, unfortunately forgetting about Appleby horse fair. Then I decided on Dales but woke up to very strong winds from the SW. A rapid change of plan took me on a linear route eastward to Skipton. Normally I’d take the Yorkshire route via Malham but was concerned about the exposure to winds so instead went south to the Ribble Valley and deepest Lancashire. Harris End fell was hairy with cross winds but I got to Bleasdale ok, then on to Longridge and Clitheroe. Clitheroe seemed busy as it was Friday not a weekend but had a snack from a bakery. Winds were better with distance from the coast but still pleased they were behind me. I was then in new territory, first to Downham and an ice cream then on to Barnoldswick along some very minor roads. It was hillier than I thought and the climb of Stoney Bank outside Earby was challenging toward the end of the ride. Finally a fast descent into Skipton and train home. 52 miles or 84 km with 1600m of climbing.

Pictures are of Ribble Valley looking suitably bucolic, sheep blocking a gated road and then the view from Elslack Moor looking toward Skipton.
0D4953B3-8E48-4751-AF8E-9B311C9F8544.jpeg

0A09E69B-4749-4109-B498-6C2FFCC70C07.jpeg

C4770147-51F4-4EAB-8BC9-8A35E312E037.jpeg

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
i had a ride over to Tudhoe cemetery to have a chat with a great friend who now resides there...
1f972.png
1f972.png
typical of me i went the scenic route.. boy was it windy still got 44 miles done
1f600.png
1f600.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/7285598203
20220610_113633.jpg

20220610_113644.jpg

20220610_113657.jpg

20220610_121444.jpg

20220610_121935 - Copy.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Another two rides today. My morning commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 17.7mph.
A 4pm finish and a lovely afternoon so out on the Tricross for an extended ride home. Wighill, Healaugh, Askham Bryan, Copmanthorpe and on to my usual stop overlooking the Ouse at Naburn.
I then took the Sustrans cycle path which has just been resurfaced and is almost finished. Found my way to Selby then home via Wistow Lordship, Cawood and Ulleskelf.
Great ride but struggled in the headwind which was real blustery at times.
36 miles with an average of 15 mph.
7C1EBD21-481E-4A0F-8433-56FF2957E313.jpeg

DFE3CDBE-3D36-413A-B583-95A269CD6E02.jpeg

1B3B03C5-8EF8-49FF-ADF0-9520E3A2F805.jpeg

E8B94172-0620-4707-B1A2-2B58A2B7F767.jpeg

CC78FA59-6E4B-4FE5-B72D-9251DD6BE95E.jpeg

Last edited:
Having got fed up with my current commute route I did a bit of reasearch today on how I could miss out the train , so do a drive cycle and add in a bit of hill as my canal path commute is pan flat. So I scoped out a 4 mile section from Buckhurst hill to Ponders End Lock. The route is mostly off road and gives me a 14 mile commute altogether instead of my old 20 but with a section of hills ( 623 ft of climb) .
Well I wasnt disapointed there is a really nice downhill section through the trees which should have me arriving at work with a grin. Not so much on the way home. With my single ring set up of a 42 chainring, 36 sprocket the hill on the way back was a bit of a ask. The picture does not do it justice due to the camera angle but if you look at the angle of trees you get a idea of the real steepness.( hit 27mph on the way down, ) Pity my 10-42 wont go on from my MTB as my CX wheels are not SRAM XD.

buckhurst hill.PNG

On my ride today I stopped at a pub for a spot of lunch.

On the table next to me two youngsters were chatting how they would spend their £650 government payout for being on benefits.

Would these hard up people spend it on food, heating? no, they planned to spend it on drugs!!!!

Unfortunately a common problem; I've known people "self medicate" on alcohol and drugs because they're struggling with psychological issues. often related to being stuck on benefits but sometimes it's the pre-existing condition that causes the inability to work and thus the meed to be in benefits.

Sometimes, it's because of damfool life decisions, but equally, those are rarely made in isolation by happy people who are in control of their lives...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Forecast SW winds today reaching 20mph meant it was ideal for a Skeggy ride. A traditional ride in Leicester is to do the clock tower in Leicester to the clock tower in Skegness.

Up and out the door just after 05:30 and at the Leicester clock tower for 05:45

IMG_0602.JPG

Through town, along the glorious Belgrave Road and its millions of traffic lights and out into the countryside, Wasn't long before I hit the first climb of the day as I went up to Burrough on the Hill. Skirted round Oakham and up the short but steep climb into Market Overton. 32 miles in and pretty much all the climbing is done.

Next 15 miles to Bourne are pretty much downhill with the odd little up to get me on the edge of fens and the flat low ground. First Veloviewer square is grabbed as I ride into a square, turn round to exit it and hit the wind that has been pushing me along all morning.

Get into Boston just after 10, 78 miles on the clock so perfect for a McDonalds breakfast. A roundabout route to get to Skegness as I bagged more Veloviewer squares and got to the clock tower pretty much bang on 12.

IMG_0603.JPG

Onto the beach and the tide is out, but not enough to get a bonus square, I did try and was tempted to go wading but thought better of it.

Anyway, another detour back to the station saw a couple more squares bagged. At the station for about 12:30, grabbed an ice cream and brew and got on a train at 13:15. Train ride totally uneventful (thankfully)

IMG_0604.JPG

Finished the ride on just under 110 miles, that's my 11th imperial century of the year. much improved on the 8 I did last year. I think I've got my distance bug back, I just need to get the commuting one back now :rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7290104200

Mike_P

Guru
The third stop of this afternoons ebike ride was unusually at the main set of bike stands in the town centre
TC.jpg

and any on looking cyclist would have thought I had a clipless moment as I tumbled onto the pavement with the bike. My right foot however had been on the ground and my not so good left leg was free. At least there were plenty of willing helpers to help me but I was completely puzzled as to what had happened; a grazed elbow was the outcome. Reaching home after some heavy rain the same thing almost happened again and I realised the issue was the new Craghoppers Jacket I was wearing (the old one having a broken zip) was snagging on the front of saddle as I started to dismount. Soggy jeans changed and the jackets pull cords tightened. The ebike has now passed 20,000ft of climbing this year despite only have done 290 miles.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Rough one today :sad:
friday i felt light headed for a few hours but still had to do a full shift at work , saturday i felt a bit tired all day so today i woke up feeling ok but nothing in the legs when i was on the road .Ran into the road closures for some tri that was going on so had to divert a few times so ended up at a different cafe to where i had planned then made my way home for a total of 54 miles .
Sundays have died again at the club so this was my last ride under the guise of velo moira

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Lovely weather in Gloucestershire today, and I got up early (for me anyway) and out for a mystery ride. No idea where I was going to go, just made it up as I went along. It turns out I did a 34 mile loop out to the Cotswold Edge via Frocester, Coaley and Cam, then across to the Black Shed at Slimbridge before riding the canal path back to my 10 miles from home mark at Splatt Bridge in Frampton on Severn and my usual route home from there. I stopped a few times, where there were well placed benches, at Cam, Slimbridge and the obligatory cider stop at the Anchor Inn in Epney.
Lovely view of Frocester Hill from near Coaley:
DSCF1253.JPG

You can see the line of the road that climbs up to Coaley Peak. This used to be my favourite climb locally, but at about 1.5 miles long and between 7 and 10 percent it is beyond me since I caught covid. It used to be one of my training hills when I was preparing for the Alps.
After a drinks break by the war memorial in Cam, I set off again and stopped for this pic across the fields towards Dursley:
DSCF1255.JPG

I stopped again at the canal bridge near the Black Shed cafe in Slimbridge, but the cafe was closed. I stayed a while watching the comings and goings on the canal. The guy on the right had the right idea, cruising along entirely under daughter power:
DSCF1258.JPG

The canal path from Slimbridge to Frampton is a bit lumpy and rutted, but with my bomb-proof Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and Slime inner tubes, it was an easy decision to ditch the A38 on the way home and follow the canal path as far as Frampton instead:
DSCF1261.JPG

Back on my usual lanes from Frampton onwards, I made for the banks of the Severn at Epney, where I stopped for a leisurely pint of Stowfords cider. I find myself going back to Epney with regularity, as my dad retired to a riverside house three doors down from here in 1979 and I have many fond memories of life on this stretch of the Severn:
DSCF1263.JPG

I mentioned in a previous post the extraordinary collection of original Jack Russell cricket art on the walls at the Anchor. Here is just one small part of the collection:
DSCF1262.JPG

There is another painting that I particularly like, being a front on shot of legendary umpire "Dickie" Bird raising the finger. In the end, I ended up doing a 34 miler today. One of my longest post-covid rides. An hour and a half after getting home, my heart rate is still 90bpm, having fallen from 132bpm when I arrived home from what should have been a leisurely pootle. My resting rate is normally in the 70s, but covid seems to have reduced my lung capacity and made cycling a bit more of a cardio vascular effort for me. Although I fear my club riding and audaxing days may be over, I'm determined to make the most of things and be the strongest cyclist I can be. Closing in on the 500 mile mark for the year now .... about a thousand miles behind my usual target for the end of June.
p.s. After my recent post from the finish line of Stage 3 of the Women's Tour, here is an aerial shot showing me and my buddy Simon (in the yellow rain jackets) in our perfect vantage point (as see on ITV4):
DSCF1249.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom