Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Always nice to get Half Century a month Challenge rides in early, during the Winter months where possible and with the weather set fair for the first time in ages, I did just that.

I set out onto the beautiful sunshine, but about an hour later than originally planned, due to overnight frost and reports of ice on the radio road reports.

I’d originally thought of heading towards Wales, but with the River Severn in flood, binned that idea and headed South. I began by heading through Betton Abbots, then on to Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell. It was so nice to be out in almost completely calm conditions, with just a gentle breeze, for the first time in what seems like months of strong winds.

I turned past Concord College, pausing to take a photo of the Wrekin, with the very blue skies
C8CDEDB8-3F08-4D6B-B300-4A5DC498BD47.jpeg

I then turned down to Evenwood and Coundmoor, following the Roman Road and then turning right and left to aim for Harley. Traffic had been quiet until there, but I encountered a few cars on the lanes to Hughley, before I paused at Church Preen for a snack.

The long steady climb up to Gretton didn’t feel too bad today, then it was the beautiful village of Cardington, where I was surprised to find the Royal Oak pub open on a Bank Holiday Monday. I didn’t stop though and instead climbed up to Enchmarsh then enjoyed the fast descent down the “corkscrew” to Hollyhurst.

Instead of taking the road to Longnor, I then decided to add some more hills, by taking the lane to the A49, which I crossed with surprising ease. I was heading to Dudgley, from there, where some more climbing begins, up to the crossroads. I exchanged pleasantries with another cyclist there, about how nice it was and how glad we were to be out.

From there it was a bit muddy and wet along the lanes towards Leebotwood, but I was turning left and a bit more climbing up to Walkmills, where I took a right and followed the lane to Netley. I used to spend a lot of time at a family friends house along that lane, as a child, so it was good to reminisce in the head a bit. They’ve now moved with the children having grown up and indeed one of them, Marc, is a very keen cyclist and does lots of touring in the U.K. and overseas.

From Netley I dropped down towards Dorrington, but took the lane past Bulkrite. This lane was basically an off road track for about the last 5 years, due to potholes and gravel but has been completely resurfaced for its full length and so was a pleasure to ride again.

The short section on the A49 was quiet, before I turned off to Stapleton. I called on Dad for an hour, finishing the remains of my lunch that hasn’t yet been eaten. I was also rather annoyed to find that my Brother hadn’t drunk any more of the Purple Moose Elderflower beer keg that I’d brought for Christmas and left with him to finish. It’s use by date is the 4th Jan and so I jolly well had a pint of it!!! I don’t like waste, at the best of times and certainly not of excellent beer! He has about a pint to finish off and so Dad said he make sure to get my Brother to drink it.

I set back out and whilst it wasn’t warm before, the temperature had dipped considerably in that hour I’d been stopped. I pressed on through Exfords Green to Annscroft, where that junction has also been properly resurfaced, finally, as it was a mess of water and potholes there since before Covid.

I joined the main road to Hook a Gate and as I passed through the end of that village, met the gritter spreading its load before tonight’s frost. Not very pleasant on a bike, but he did turn the spreader down a bit and slowed down for me 👍🏻

I was crunching grit with my wheels from there to Nobold, where I turned through Meole Village, to Meole Brace. I used the cycle path that cuts through the middle of the big roundabout there, as the Reabrook was in flood under the tunnel. I did notice that the bike, which has been leaned up against the fence by the river for a couple of weeks, was still there, now in the river though, but hadn’t been swept away.

I arrived home having thoroughly enjoyed the ride, probably the best solo ride I’ve done since the late Summer, in terms of feeling good from it.

38.65 miles were done at 11.0mph avg and 2308 ft of climbing.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
How do you guys remember all the details of your rides, do you have a note book or are you ex coppers!

buzz22

Über Member
20230103_165053.jpg

20230103_165944.jpg

20230103_170002.jpg

It finally feels like summer is here.
29 degrees in Sydney and a strong wind brought out what seemed like every kite surfer and sailing craft.
That wind made it a challenging ride so it was nice to pull into the driveway at the end.
The new brakes I fitted to the Abeni made it a fuss free ride and cemented this bike as a go to when the bike paths call.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Thankyou, it is a nice old thing.
And the scenery is stunning, despite the wind the beaches and parks were packed with people enjoying a day off.

I bet there was. I would have been too !

l live right by the East Coast here in the U.K. too. It’s lovely. But not the warmest place this time of year.

This was out stretching the legs at 8am a couple of days ago:

D78A37E5-0C4D-4BF0-AA02-958242A50159.jpeg

Happy New Year 👍

galaxy

Veteran
Yesterday started off with a lovely 6.5 mile Dog walk
Then home for lunch. Still eating all the pickles etc bought for Xmas. Lucky I enjoy em.
We have been buying our milk from a Milk Machine in town. So we decided a ride into Leominster for milk to be good excuse to get out.
Having got out milk we shared a Milkshake from the machine. Now I don’t like Bannans and I don’t like Milkshakes. But from hear there amazing. So a gentle ride home and 11 cracking smiles and a good deed done.

Mike_P

Guru
Final day off work and the rain stopped so I thought I would risk the ebike to Sainsbury's. Quickly drizzle arrived and perhaps a touch heavier.
Despite being under cover, just, at the cycle stands the saddle was well wet by the time I returned with a half full rucksack of shopping.
Less wet however on the return during which I realised the rear wheel, at least, could do with pumping up.
9.24 miles with 626ft of elevation.
Both valves seem to be stuck up with slime so put aside for a dryer day to remove and clean them.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It's always good to mix things up a bit and today I revisited a route I'd last rode over three years ago before I'd purchased the Kona. I'd never been too keen on it and so last night I created a new route using some of the best parts from it and mixing in new trails I either knew, or looked promising on the map. The forecast looked OK, so this morning I set out bright and early with the thermometer showing 2 degrees. One thing became abundantly clear straight away, the forecasters were wrong about the weather, it was absolutely stunning, the sky mostly cloud free and bright sunshine with barely a breeze, you couldn't ask for more in January.

P1010640.JPG

The first half of the ride would be my usual stomping ground, due north into the edge of the heathland. I was soon under the eaves of the forest and making my way through familiar trails, first on rough mud tracks and then onto the wider gravel roads.

P1010649.JPG

The first hour passes pleasantly enough, the sun is painting the forest in a beautiful light and I'm making fast progress on the gravel. I'm soon down onto the shores of Angelbecksteich where I take a break. There's no one in sight this morning and apart from the birdsong there's nothing to disturb the peace.

P1010655.JPG

From here I ride a few hundred metres further north, then rather than head up onto the Tiefental, I take another gravel road that strikes due north, then starts to swing round to the west before I then head south again. These are all trail I've not ridden since that ride three years ago and the riding is really pleasant, each corner bringing a new patch of forest, all so different in their character.

P1010659.JPG

Several kilometres on, the trail turns to tarmac as we pass through a small farming village and for a while now I'm riding through a mix of fields and woods, on a mix of surfaces. Then I turn from my old ride and take a new forest track that bends and twists, sometimes through plantations, other times through deciduous woods, that feel open and bare. I stop for another snack and hang the bike up as I eat.

P1010662.JPG

I'm loving the riding through here, the ground is firm and the scenery is ever shifting and changing, the light from the sun is spectacular.

P1010665.JPG

I'm lost in thought as the Garmin keeps me on course through the maze of trails and tracks that weave their way through here. Passing through another small village and back out into farmland, then into more woodland. I'm suddenly bought short by a junction that's not marked on my map. I've been shadowing the river Örtze and an unmarked track continues to follow it's banks, whereas my marked trail moves inland a short way. I decide on an adventure and set off down the trail.

P1010667.JPG

Unfortunately my mini adventure ends not too far away at a hunters stool. There is no way through beyond, at least, not without some major hike a bike and bushwacking. I swing round and rejoin my intended route. Before long, it too swings back to the river and I cross on an old rickety, moss covered bridge.

P1010672.JPG

I'm back in familiar territory now and from here I join the old post road, a fast gravel road that goes on for a few kilometers, before linking to another fast gravel road.

P1010674.JPG

I'm not far away now from home, one last section of forest awaits me and this proves to be hard work, forestry workers have made a mess of the trail and it's a stern test for me and the bike, several times I lose control on patches of slippery mud, it's all good fun though. The last kilometre or two winds between open fields and before long I'm riding the gravel trail around the edge of the forest near to the house. It's been a lot more fun than I was expecting, a really lovely ride in some stunning weather, I do love it when you get bonus days like this in Winter, I'll remember this on those wet grey days that are no doubt still ahead. Overall 57 fun filled kilometres.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday:

With a dry and calm day forecast it looked ideal to get a challenge ride in to start the New Year. I had it in mind to do my usual circuit around the north of the county as that isn't too hilly and I'd have a good section in the middle with the wind behind me. A complication arose late on New Years Day when it was announced that the flood barriers were being put up in Shrewsbury. If the river is high enough for that then certain roads I'd need to use in the Melverley area would be impassable, so after browsing the map I aimed to start off the route differently to make up for the lost distance.

I headed for Condover to start with on what I thought were surprisingly busy roads for this time on a Bank Holiday morning. After that it was really quiet as I climbed up to Cantlop followed by the descent to Cantlop Bridge where there was a frost in the valley - fortunately this road gets gritted.

The roads remained quiet to Weeping Cross (greeted the first cyclist I'd seen this trip) and it was nice to head for the centre of Shrewsbury with only a few other vehicles around. There were a handful of people walking in The Quarry then I left town via Porthill, Shelton and headed for Montford Bridge. The sun was rising by now and casting a nice light on everything ahead of me on the way to Great Ness. It felt colder on the way to Pentre and I started to notice ice on the puddles at the edge of the road on the way to the village. Between here and Kinnerley there was obvious ice on the road itself so I slowed down and took it very carefully.

I had a stop at Knockin for a bite to eat then carried on towards Maesbury and Oswestry. I'd assumed that this road would have been gritted since it's a wide and fairly fast one, but there was more ice on the road surface on the way to Woolston, then at Maesbury it got really slippery and I had to go extremely carefully. At one point the back wheel was frequently sliding down the camber of the road and I was really concerned about coming off. Thankfully as I approached Oswestry the road went back to being just wet - I thought it might be best to take the direct route through the industrial estate this time rather than the more scenic lane and back roads which I've been using lately. Even on this route I couldn't see any sign of it having been recently gritted.

After passing through the centre of town I went the usual way past the ancient hill fort towards Lower Hengoed. I was surprised that the road here is still closed (it's not on the list of closures any more) but thankfully the barriers have been moved to allow pedestrian and cycle access. Gobowen passed without incident then I joined the signed cycle route to Ellesmere along the rather muddy, potholed and occasionally flooded lanes through Hindford, Old Marton and Crickett. I didn't see any other cyclists along here this time but did meet four horses.

Joining the B5068 there was a flood to wade through and a tractor hedge cutting, both of which I could have done without. It was about time for another snack stop so I thought I'd go round to The Mere for that this time. I'd only just got there when a passer by who wished me all the best for the New Year went into a bit of a monologue, starting with the Beeching cuts, then through several other subjects including trans rights and housebuilding and finishing by telling me how great the Netherlands and Barcelona are for cycling infrastructure but how London and Cambridge do it all wrong because they spend too much money and allow us too much room. :wacko: All I wanted was to look at the view and eat my flapjack.

It took a few miles on the way to Lee, Whitemere and Colemere to get the contented feeling back. A couple of really polite drivers on the way helped with that and by Northwood I was enjoying myself again. The very light breeze was behind me now as I headed through Dobson's Bridge to Coton. At Prees railway station the level crossing was closed so I thought I'd take the opportunity to take a layer off and transfer some water into the frame-mounted bottle. With this done there was still no sign of a train - a look at the electronic boards on the platform suggested that it might not arrive for another ten minutes so I thought I might as well try going round another way. This detour didn't add too much distance and goes over the line on a bridge so was much easier on this occasion.

The climb through Prees was slow as always but didn't feel quite as much of an effort this time. It was nice to see that the road to Ightfield has had some of the worst potholes repaired then when I got there I stopped to eat my lunch using the bus shelter. A handful of cyclists came past while I was here.

After the stop I was feeling the cold more so the layer I'd taken off earlier went back on for the rest of the ride. The legs were feeling a bit sluggish too and took a while to get going again. At about the 65 mile mark a couple of twinges in the legs warned me that I might be trying a bit too hard so I eased the pace slightly, which helped on a couple of steepish hills headed for Longslow and Longford. I knew that I didn't have the mileage in hand that I'm used to, so took a tour round the centre of Market Drayton to add a bit of distance before heading out of town past the golf club and through Sutton.

At Tern Hill airfield the wind socks were hardly stirring in the light wind, which was quite nice to see. I wasn't very quick by now but kept plodding on to Stoke on Tern and Ollerton where I had another pause for a bite to eat with 78 miles on the clock. I opened the jelly babies here which helped to Eaton upon Tern and Little Bolas but really seemed to kick in after Heath Lanes on a climb that usually seems a real drag with this kind of distance under my belt.

The main road at High Ercall was quiet when I joined it then there seemed to be a rush of vehicles beore my turn off towards Rodington Heath - thankfully they were all well behaved. The sun set around here, lighting the clouds beautifully - I left it a bit late to try and get a photo and missed the best of it.

By Withington I was fairly happy I had enough mileage to be sure of the century so it was just a case of keeping moving to Upton Magna, Atcham and Cross Houses. Near Berrington Hall I met another motorist who doesn't think that they need to dip their lights for cyclists - this is getting really annoying now. In this case the car was fairly new so I wonder if it's possible that automatic dipping headlights don't recognise a single light as being a vehicle? Do motorcyclists get the same problem?

The last few miles to Condover then up the main road to head home were nicely uneventful.

102.10 miles at 12 mph moving average. Total time with all the stops was 10 hours and 25 minutes which was a little more than I'd hoped it would take, but I am up and running with this years challenge.^_^

20230102_072956.jpg

On my way to Cantlop well before dawn.

20230102_075734.jpg

Headed over the English Bridge into Shrewsbury.

20230102_083430_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The sun rises at Forton.

20230102_093400_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At Knockin.

20230102_111937.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

20230102_125434.jpg

Prees.

20230102_131911_Richtone(HDR).jpg

My lunch stop at Ightfield.

20230102_142402.jpg

Market Drayton.

20230102_152517_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Little Bolas.

20230102_164213.jpg

The afterglow of sunset as I cross the old Atcham Bridge

cwskas

Über Member
I managed 150 miles the last week of the year, but will only report on the last 2 very enjoyable and fun days camping with one of my grandson's. I will separate into two different posts.

The primary goal was to motivate him for longer rides with a secondary goal of trying to do a better job of camp cooking and trying out some different options. A third goal was to get quicker setting up camp and packing up the next day. The gear we had with us was only slightly more than could have been carried on both trikes for an extended trip, but was only packed for that intent and was carried in the van with the two trikes this time.

15 year old and 6'3" Will has done quite a few rides with me but his longest is just over 20 miles. So this was more of a sight seeing, exploring and just enjoying the experience together trip.

Our first night, 12-28, was Cleburne State Park, to/from which I have ridden before but not really explored yet. We were assigned a campsite that would have been fine for someone in a trailer but was miserable for tents - not a patch of grass, small gravel and twigs everywhere. I considered trying to switch to a different site, but it had taken longer for us to arrive than planned and I reckoned sometimes in the future we would have to settle for less than ideal situations. So we did the best we could in preparing two tent sites and setting up our tents before it was dark.

I managed a satisfying meal (for me, not for Will) of chicken and rice and we both retired to our tents and fell asleep to the wonderful quiet sounds of the night. I had managed a fairly smooth spot but did not realize that there was a root underground, but near the surface. When I was in just the correct spot it was not bad and even comfortable, but I evidently move around quite a bit in my sleep, requiring regular rearrangement of position during the night.

We awoke to the most annoying alarm at 7 am - a large truck moving through the park and emptying all of the large garbage containers. I cooked a breakfast of eggs and sausage. We packed up and loaded our gear into the back of the van and headed out to explore the park and some of it's surroundings. A very satisfying 13.1 miles with a short 13.5 grade, not far from the campsite, which I very nearly didn't complete.

20221229-Will-1.jpeg

20221229-Will-2.jpeg

20221229-Will-3.jpeg

Cleburne_State_Park_with_Will.jpg

cwskas

Über Member
Lake Whitney State Park

Early afternoon we set out to follow a bike route I had calculated for a future ride from Cleburne State Park to this park. It turned out to be quite nice, with only a brief section of non-pavement and very nice rural scenery.

Our campsite has thick grass and is at the end of the section, with only 2 other campers in this section. Setting up the tents was quicker and we did a little exploring of the area on foot.

20221230-Will-06.jpeg

20221230-Will-05.jpeg

Then Will made a very nice fire and we played cards until it was bedtime.

20221230-Will-01.jpeg

The next morning was quite cool and humid, we had breakfast and set out to explore the park.

20221230-Will-08.jpeg

20221230-Will-07.jpeg

20221230-Will-09.jpeg

20221230-Will-10.jpeg

Lake_Whitney_State_Park_with_Will.jpg

Another short, but very enjoyable ride with Will.

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride.

I'm still on holiday, and as the day was reasonably nice, if a bit windy, I decided to go for my first ride of the year.

Out to Littleworth, then Wadborough and towards Drakes Broughton. By now I had realised two things

1. I chose the wrong direction for the loop, with a stronger than expected wind either on the side or ahead

2. I am very unfit after a month of no cycling

The head wind was hard work, needing to get into the drops and work hard to keep 13mph in places where I would do 18 to 20 without effort. The side wind was rather unnerving, with a couple of occasions where my front was nearly blown from under me going past hedge openings.

Just before Drakes Broughton I took the back lane to Rebecca Road and then the back lane to Besford. The lanes have been resurfaced in the worst places, but the ditches haven't been cleaned, so there's a lot of surface water.

After Besford headed towards Croome, and now I had a headwind all the way past Croome and on to High Green. I really had to work hard, in places struggling to get to 10mph against the wind, in a bit of road that's either flat or downhill.

After High Green I headed for Pirton, with a stop on the motorway flyover for a breather. I now had a bit of tail wind to the edge of Pirton, but then it was in the side again up the hill and on the way home.

A couple of other cyclists were out as well, taking advantage of the clear day. I quite enjoyed being out, but not the unexpected extra workout provided by the wind. I normally do this loop in about an hour without stops, but today I needed a stop and took close to an hour and a quarter. I need to get back on the bike and get some miles in my legs.

The map
Screenshot_20230105-095754_Connect.jpg

Top Bottom