Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also on the same weekend as the above had a short camping trip with the better half in that Naarfolk.
Train to Lynn and then easy ride to Bircham windmill campsite, then a couple of days mooching around the coast.

IMG_4510.jpeg

'Wildlife' at the campsite;

IMG_4519.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

IMG_4516.jpeg

Geoff the horse looking at chomping on the bikes;

IMG_4514.jpeg

IMG_4512.jpeg

Bikes on the beach;

DSC_1184.JPG

Thornham;

DSC_1178.JPG

Brekkie at Thornham Deli;

IMG_4525.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another weekday ride to beat the weekend forecast. July has been awful and I have had to work hard to find weather windows. Today looked promising so headed out to the Dales. Followed the Way of the Roses route to Settle in Ribblesdale where the Naked Man provided refreshment. Then it was out of town via the cobbles and up the very steep hill cursed by WotR riders. Surprised by the number of cars about so took refugee at the lovely farm shop and cafe in Airton for a good lunch. I continued up Malhamdale toward the cove, then took the steep road up to the plateau and Tarn for the second big climb of the day. Dropped down to Stainforth and admired the Force that was running high after the rain. Home via Austwick and Clapham. Rained heavily as Ineached home. 115 km with 1600 m of climbing.
pictures are of the approach to the Dales from Keasden with interesting clouds, bike looking nonchalant near Malham Tarn and an interesting view of Penyghent.

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Miracle occurred - a day off work, sunny, not overly hot and no gale blowing. A full month after its last use the Defy dragged out of the bike shed having discovered the rear had a complete flat. Tyre had no incursions in it so a new inner tube fitted.
Normal route to Knaresborough via Humps and a hill and Bilton Lane where conveniently the vehicle barrier was being opened by a local resident as I arrived expecting to have to squeeze through normal opening.
The pedestrian crossing by the Worlds End pub as usual precluded a run at the climb of Bond End
WORLDS END.jpg

The temporary lights on the Boroughbridge Road had vanished and non-stop through Farnham, Staveley, Minskip and Boroughbridge to the riverside park for a snack.
Rside.jpg

The River Ure was roaring over the weir but largely hidden by shrubbery.
Then followed the Way of the Roses route through Roecliffe to Bishop Monkton where with hilly terrain beyond I took another snack break.
BM.jpg

Up Moor Road and the climb after Markington before a fast decent of Scarah Bank.
From Ripley I followed the Nidderdale Greenway; making a rather dumb decision to change the front derailleur as I hit a cattle grid – cue dropped chain.
With roadworks on the normally taken route along part of the A59 to avoid followed the Greenway further than normal and took a route immediately north of the town centre to link up with a route normally taken from the south.
First metric half century for two months – 34.34 miles (55.47km) 1719ft climbed 13.4mph avg
26 July.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Promised sunshine and clouds by the BBC ..... so it rained for most of my ride. Never mind, ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Can't recommend the Tarka Trail in North Devon highly enough. Other than the Lake Annecy greenway, this has to be by far the best off-road trail for road bikes that I have ever ridden. A superb example of what can be done with old railway lines to keep cyclists away from busy roads.

I joined the trail somewhere to the South of Great Torrington at a small car park at Watergate Bridge near Langtree and it was tarmac all the way past Bideford, Barnstaple and Instow as far as Braunton. Much of it was supremely smooth Formula 1 quality brand new tarmac and the gradients were negligible. I'm not sure whether recumbents or tandems would find it so easy getting through the occasional barriers, but it is perfect for standard road bikes. Woods, tunnels, bridges across the winding River Torridge, estuary views, cafes and all completely stress-free. I threw in a small on-road by-pass of Braunton at the end of the trail by taking a minor road detour through the marshes, followed by a short climb of a busy A road up along the headland towards Croyde. The traffic was unpleasant, but the views down to the surfers off Saunton Sands were well worth it. I stopped there for a swig and a bite to eat before heading back towards Langtree, doing a straight re-trace.

There was a steady Scotch mist or drizzle for most of the ride, but it only got heavier for a few minutes while I was waiting to be served at a riverside cafe at Fremington. They were very good and found me a table inside to finish off my bacon and egg bap. The food of champions. By the time I made it back to my car I'd done 52.6 miles, which was something of a long-awaited milestone for me. My 100th ride of 50 miles or more. I won't be deliberately setting out to cover such distances in future, so I might have saved the easiest one for last.

A few photos (Honestly, it is difficult to time this ride, as you'll want to stop every hundred yards or so. I had a job selecting the pictures for this post):
219..JPG

221..JPG

222.Puffing Billy Cafe.JPG

223..JPG

227..JPG

228..JPG

231..JPG

236.Saunton Sands from viewpoint.JPG

244.Bideford across the salt marshes.JPG

246.Beam Aqueduct.JPG

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Not ridden for a few weeks since my welsh adventure but now fully healed.
Also managed to get my hands on a cheap smart trainer and have been doing a fair few miles on Zwift the last couple of weeks which I've surprisingly enjoyed however with the Zwift chat being in training section, I've kept quiet due to fear 😄. Nothing beats a real ride out though so after the girlfriend picked up a couple of last minute night shifts an impromptu ride out was planned for today to keep me out the house.

Massively enjoyed getting out and remembering why I love cycling so much. Bit windy but avoided the rain and have caught the sun a bit which is always a bonus. Saturday rides have never been my favourite with more traffic on the roads with today being no exception but, the numerous close passes and head shakes from uneducated drivers still couldn't shake that feeling of euphoria that cycling gives me.

20230729_095835.jpg

Rode the long way up to Withernsea to get the first 25 miles in, poor diet of late showed here but with an empty stomach decided to push on to our favourite cafe in Patrington

20230729_095837.jpg

20230729_110308.jpg

"Cakey Bakey Yum Yum" is the cafe with every word of its name being true. Lots of beautiful home made treats that I always look forward to when out that way.

20230729_124342.jpg

Small chat with another group of cyclists just leaving which is always pleasant and away for the last few miles of the day.
At this point I thought my lack of fitness was beginning to show as I was suddenly struggling hugely, then I felt the tell tale sign of the rim hitting the road. A very rare puncture for me which my mate took great pleasure in ribbing me about as its usually him. With 6 miles to go shot some CO2 into it with the hope it would hold which it did and with my mate quietly satisfied that my tyres aren't invincible made it home in time for a few beers in the garden while the girlfriend sleeps.

magicut_1690640690911.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride of lanes and bridle ways. The sun was out and there was a pleasant breeze. 14 and a bit miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/9543806536

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
After sitting in the rain most of last weekend supporting a clubmate on the 24, and a rather short (20km) Wednesday pubrun in heavy rain, I thought I'd better get out this weekend. I did a 12 mile walk yesterday, so thighs ached a bit first thing. However, the legs soon loosened up on the bike.
I joined the club-run partway round their circuit. They were a bit raggle-taggle with riders off the back and a couple sprinting off the front, so I slowed the main group down, waited till the top of a hill, stopped everyone and reminded them what no-drop meant. After that we chugged along in a tidy(ish) group with enough breath for conversation.
We did have a bit of fun on the lead into town, but then regrouped and finished at the quay, joining the other groups at the cafe.
I followed my nose for a wombling route home, stopping to photograph a small memorial in a hedge. 90km - couldn't be bothered to add another ten.
IMG_20230729_132640121_HDR.jpg

soc.JPG
https://www.strava.com/activities/9543414991

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Also on the same weekend as the above had a short camping trip with the better half in that Naarfolk.
Train to Lynn and then easy ride to Bircham windmill campsite, then a couple of days mooching around the coast.

View attachment 700361

'Wildlife' at the campsite;

View attachment 700364

View attachment 700365

View attachment 700366

Geoff the horse looking at chomping on the bikes;

View attachment 700367

View attachment 700368

Bikes on the beach;

View attachment 700371

Thornham;

View attachment 700372

Brekkie at Thornham Deli;

View attachment 700373

Love the purple bike 😀

Jameshow

Veteran
Promised sunshine and clouds by the BBC ..... so it rained for most of my ride. Never mind, ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Can't recommend the Tarka Trail in North Devon highly enough. Other than the Lake Annecy greenway, this has to be by far the best off-road trail for road bikes that I have ever ridden. A superb example of what can be done with old railway lines to keep cyclists away from busy roads.

I joined the trail somewhere to the South of Great Torrington at a small car park at Watergate Bridge near Langtree and it was tarmac all the way past Bideford, Barnstaple and Instow as far as Braunton. Much of it was supremely smooth Formula 1 quality brand new tarmac and the gradients were negligible. I'm not sure whether recumbents or tandems would find it so easy getting through the occasional barriers, but it is perfect for standard road bikes. Woods, tunnels, bridges across the winding River Torridge, estuary views, cafes and all completely stress-free. I threw in a small on-road by-pass of Braunton at the end of the trail by taking a minor road detour through the marshes, followed by a short climb of a busy A road up along the headland towards Croyde. The traffic was unpleasant, but the views down to the surfers off Saunton Sands were well worth it. I stopped there for a swig and a bite to eat before heading back towards Langtree, doing a straight re-trace.

There was a steady Scotch mist or drizzle for most of the ride, but it only got heavier for a few minutes while I was waiting to be served at a riverside cafe at Fremington. They were very good and found me a table inside to finish off my bacon and egg bap. The food of champions. By the time I made it back to my car I'd done 52.6 miles, which was something of a long-awaited milestone for me. My 100th ride of 50 miles or more. I won't be deliberately setting out to cover such distances in future, so I might have saved the easiest one for last.

A few photos (Honestly, it is difficult to time this ride, as you'll want to stop every hundred yards or so. I had a job selecting the pictures for this post):
View attachment 700587

View attachment 700588

View attachment 700589

View attachment 700590

View attachment 700593

View attachment 700594

View attachment 700595

View attachment 700604

View attachment 700597

View attachment 700598

Yeap my favourite ride in North Devon..

The Bideford railway cafe is best avoided as the coffee and cake is poor better to go to the independent coffee shop over the river/estuary and to the right..

Last edited:
Top Bottom