Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Took advantage of the lovely sunny conditions this morning and nipped out for another 50km ride. You would think the Red Arrows had just flown by, but we seem to be right under the trans-Atlantic passenger flight path judging by all the vapour trails.
DSCF1808.JPG

When I got to Arlingham, I was astonished to see a different ship in the boat yard opposite. For as long as I can recall, (several years at least), the "Altea" has been sat there looking rusty, and with only the occasional flash of a welding torch saying that it was being worked on at all. Now suddenly the ship has gone and this tug boat (?) has taken its place. Evidently it is still an active ship repair yard after all .... and in just about the last navigable spot on the Severn.
DSCF1809.JPG

I headed for home via Fromebridge Mill.
DSCF1810.JPG

The pub on the site is one that I've visited with my missus on several occasions over the years, and it has always either been terrific or appalling. Nothing in between. Now under new ownership as a Greene King pub, so we might give it another chance. Certainly a nice spot to sit outside on a sunny day. Back home and hosed now, with another 32 miles added to the year's total. Glad I got my backside into gear.

ruffers

Veteran
I am not back in work until tomorrow and with my son being off for the Easter holidays we decided to get the bikes in the car and head over to Blackpool.
The weather when we got there was a lot better than the weather we got on the journey over. Clear skies, minimal wind and a nice temperature for cycling.
We parked not far from the pleasure beach and headed north, getting within touching distance of Fleetwood. Then made our way back.
Lovely ride and even better to spend time with my son.
1712075957802.jpeg

1712075992322.jpeg

Landsurfer

Veteran
First ride with Connor today (grandson)… he started cycling last week while we were away in Cornwall… he has resisted cycling with great skill over the last 20 years.
He goes out at first light and does around 6-8 hilly miles …. And a bimble with me this afternoon … just going to let him get on with it …

IMG_0427.jpeg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another quickie today. I needed some Tunnocks Wafers so I nipped out on the Brompton and took the long way into town to the little shop, bloody windy today, and it didn’t matter what way I turned heavy gust seemed determined to take my breath away.
Anyway I got to the little shop after about five miles, folded the B in trolly mode, using the shops App to scan the purchase and pay for it on the phone without going anywhere near a till. Fabulous, I love A.I.
Once outside, unfolded the bike and set off the long way back in the other direction.
Once I got to my village I did a little loop to round the trip up to just over ten miles.
Bloody windy though, at least the roads were mainly dry.
IMG_4965.jpeg

I saw some baby baa lambs on the way back.
IMG_4969.jpeg

Typical cottage in my neck of the woods.
IMG_4964.jpeg

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Another quickie today. I needed some Tunnocks Wafers so I nipped out on the Brompton and took the long way into town to the little shop, bloody windy today, and it didn’t matter what way I turned heavy gust seemed determined to take my breath away.
Anyway I got to the little shop after about five miles, folded the B in trolly mode, using the shops App to scan the purchase and pay for it on the phone without going anywhere near a till. Fabulous, I love A.I.
Once outside, unfolded the bike and set off the long way back in the other direction.
Once I got to my village I did a little loop to round the trip up to just over ten miles.
Bloody windy though, at least the roads were mainly dry.
View attachment 726415
I saw some baby baa lambs on the way back.
View attachment 726416
Typical cottage in my neck of the woods.
View attachment 726417
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I like the Brompton grip. I find I hold mine further back in the triangle between seat post and crossbar and let the bike tilt forward. Somehow it feels more comfortable.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Half a ride to report today. Was drizzling this morning but promised to stay dry near the west coast so I decided to go down to Lytham St Anne’s and visit the Apex bike shop and cafe there. All went well, pancake flat through the agricultural villages of the Fylde. But, when I was just approaching Lytham rolling down a public single carriageway road I came to a sudden stop and ended up in a puddle! The road was part flooded at both sides with a narrow strip of water about a metre across at the crown. I headed for that and must have gone down a huge flooded pothole. I pulled myself to the side and to a house being renovated to be greeted by another cyclist with blood from a head wound. He’d done exactly the same thing and according to the builders I was the fourth that morning! The handlebars were twisted along with a brake lever and mudguard. I undid the ahead set and twisted the bars back but the wedge disappeared down the head tube. With only roadside tools I decided to fasten it in place a s well as I could and limp into Lytham and bike shop cafe. They were brilliant and James sorted the bike while I had some lunch. He was also going to report the pothole. By now my knee and wrist had stiffened up so was contemplating a train home. But good fortune occurred and I bumped into a local cyclist called Glen at the bike shop who insisted on taking me home. Must have been a 90 minute round trip for him, so kind. So 51 km completed, a torn waterproof and a slightly swollen knee.

No pictures unfortunately.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Half a ride to report today. Was drizzling this morning but promised to stay dry near the west coast so I decided to go down to Lytham St Anne’s and visit the Apex bike shop and cafe there. All went well, pancake flat through the agricultural villages of the Fylde. But, when I was just approaching Lytham rolling down a farm road I came to a sudden stop and ended up in a puddle! The road was part flooded at both sides with a narrow strip of water about a metre across at the crown. I headed for that and must have gone down a huge flooded pothole. I pulled myself to the side and to a house being renovated to be greeted by another cyclist with blood from a head wound. He’d done exactly the same thing and according to the builders I was the fourth that morning! The handlebars were twisted along with a brake lever and mudguard. I undid the ahead set and twisted the bars back but the wedge disappeared down the head tube. With only roadside tools I decided to fasten it in place a s well as I could and limp into Lytham and bike shop cafe. They were brilliant and James sorted the bike while I had some lunch. He was also going to report the pothole. By now my knee and wrist had stiffened up so was contemplating a train home. But good fortune occurred and I bumped into a local cyclist called Glen at the bike shop who insisted on taking me home. Must have been a 90 minute round trip for him, so kind. So 51 km completed, a torn waterproof and a slightly swollen knee.

No pictures unfortunately.

And a call to your solicitor …

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You may know dear reader that I have a bit of a soft spot for 1960s/70s Dawes Kingpins, I am not alone and it will not surprise you to know that’s there’s a group of like minded individuals who congregate virtually on the book of faces. Today some of us got together in that London for a pootle.

A midweek ride with some like minded friends which, for me, started with a puncture 1/4 mile from my start station which meant an anxious and hurried walk to catch the train, and because I wasn’t paying attention I boarded the wrong train. Anyway I eventually got to Paddington with plenty of time to swap the inner tube out and arrived at the meeting point on time. We had sun, we had wind, we had rain, quite a lot, but mostly we had a nice ride with great company on old shopping bikes. A little bit silly really.

IMG_4974.jpeg

Puncture.

IMG_4976.jpeg

Upside down in a quiet corner of Paddington Station .
IMG_4978.jpeg

Fixed.
IMG_4979.jpeg

IMG_4980.jpeg

IMG_4981.jpeg

IMG_4982.jpeg

Some monkeys ( I think) .
IMG_4983.jpeg

Lunch from a Yurt.
IMG_4985.jpeg

That London.
IMG_4986.jpeg

Landsurfer

Veteran
I have today purchased a Raleigh Twenty .. actually 2 … back in the 70’s there was a Kingpin with a derailleur… 5 speed I believe … I lusted after one …
Back to the Twenty …. There was a website .. French I believe, that had the most amazing Twenty conversion featured … anyone have a link ….

Pick it up in the morning … so excited …..

I have today purchased a Raleigh Twenty .. actually 2 … back in the 70’s there was a Kingpin with a derailleur… 5 speed I believe … I lusted after one …
Back to the Twenty …. There was a website .. French I believe, that had the most amazing Twenty conversion featured … anyone have a link ….

You ain't got it till we see the pics :okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

The Kingpin Sprint. As rare as tits on a shark, from the 60s
I know of two in existence.
IMG_4989.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom