Zebra crossing footage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nobody is suggesting that anybody does that, you are way off the topic under discussion now and way off your original POV. You started off defending him: Then you tried justifying his actions:Now you're suggesting that people that don't agree with you are "pro cycle around pretending that you're in a motor vehicle". I'd drop this while you still can if I were you.
I don't think @mjr was in any way defending or justifying the cyclist's actions, just trying to understand and explain them. And his point about motor vehicles was in response to a rather motor-centric post.

Reactions: mjr

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Fed up with cyclists thinking that they shouldn't behave like other road vehicles.
Well, you would need to take that up with its author, but my guess would be that @Metal8 didn't mean that we should all go around making brum brum noises, but have a bit of respect and good manners when it comes to things like stopping at crossings. Like I say, this is only my opinion, and I may be wrong.
That's a lie, but at least you've left the quote link so people can easily click the arrow and see that I was only attempting to answer your "why".
Well, in future you should perhaps post less ambiguously, but I am prepared to take you at your word, without feeling the need to call you a liar.
In any case, you still haven't been able to explain the point of the maneuver, and you also missed this bit of my last post:
Then you tried justifying his actions:
In your own time :smile:

r04DiE

I don't think @mjr was in any way defending or justifying the cyclist's actions, just trying to understand and explain them. And his point about motor vehicles was in response to a rather motor-centric post.
I can understand and explain them; he's a "me, me, me, I'm first, I'm more important than everybody else", turd. It's got nothing to do with saving energy or trying to stay upright due to being unstable. I'll say it again, he's a turd, it's easy to see.

r04DiE

If so, then this and similar posts seem like trolling:

Which is why I'm not continuing to reply to the demands for explanations.
How does me saying a) he should have stopped, and, b) he's a selfish turd, make me a troll? Go and look troll up in the dictionary. And the reason that you aren't replying to my points (not demands), is that you have no answer for them. Its obvious that his reasons for not stopping had nothing to do with energy conservation or balance.

There is absolutely no need for you call me a troll or a liar, either. Its just not necessary, so please try to keep things polite.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How does me saying a) he should have stopped, and, b) he's a selfish turd, make me a troll?
That doesn't. It's the playing the innocent "I don't see why he did that" when you have your own explanation (that he's a turd) and then constantly arguing with any alternative explanations which was trolling. Pointing out such things may be impolite, but then I already know I'm a blunt midlander.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Its obvious that his reasons for not stopping had nothing to do with energy conservation or balance.
Of course they did. He made a calculation that he could pass behind the pedestrian at the speed and trajectory he did, thus maintaining balance and momentum and getting to his destination quicker. This may well have been unconscious and manifested itself as the thought "I reckon I can make that gap", but the calculation was made. What mucked it up was the pedestrian deciding to step into his path, which the cyclist hadn't anticipated, or had dismissed as being so unlikely as to be worth the risk. If he had taken this possibility into account and left a larger gap, this would have brought him into conflict with the pedestrian crossing from the left.

Something I always try and do in the road is to act predictably, and to anticipate the actions of others. In this case, seeing the cyclist travelling at speed and moving to the right, his actions were predictable. The pedestrian's sudden change of direction, less so.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ultimately, it saves energy and that rider looked a bit unsteady so maybe really wanted to avoid stopping. I don't agree with it but I think I see the likely point of the attempt.

Now, I asked first: why's it pointless?
I would suggest that if a rider feels the need to take this sort of risk to save energy...they need to get out on the bike more and get stronger.

Stopping is a part of riding in town.

D

Deleted member 26715

Of course they did. He made a calculation that he could pass behind the pedestrian at the speed and trajectory he did, thus maintaining balance and momentum and getting to his destination quicker. This may well have been unconscious and manifested itself as the thought "I reckon I can make that gap", but the calculation was made. What mucked it up was the pedestrian deciding to step into his path, which the cyclist hadn't anticipated, or had dismissed as being so unlikely as to be worth the risk. If he had taken this possibility into account and left a larger gap, this would have brought him into conflict with the pedestrian crossing from the left.

Something I always try and do in the road is to act predictably, and to anticipate the actions of others. In this case, seeing the cyclist travelling at speed and moving to the right, his actions were predictable. The pedestrian's sudden change of direction, less so.
So you think the cyclist was correct in what he did?

D

Deleted member 26715

No. He should have given the pedestrian more room, which means he would have been in conflict with the pedestrian crossing from the left, which means he should have stopped.
So why all the brolacs before defending him, the cyclist was being an utter & complete cockwomble & should have stopped or at the very least slowed dramatically.

r04DiE

That doesn't. It's the playing the innocent "I don't see why he did that" when you have your own explanation (that he's a turd) and then constantly arguing with any alternative explanations which was trolling.
It was said tongue-in-cheek, so maybe I should have made that clearer. Apologies for that then.
Pointing out such things may be impolite, but then I already know I'm a blunt midlander.
It's not pointing out things that make you impolite, it's name-calling on a not-an-awful-lot-of-evidence. Its got nothing to do with being blunt. Check out my other posts on here and tell me if they tie in with my being a trolling liar. Go on, I dare you.

Last edited:

r04DiE

There's about as much evidence of that as there is for "Sod all those pedestrians, I'm going to squeeze through if I can and if I hit one then so be it".

Top Bottom