Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
šŸ˜„ I keep forgetting I have that avatar. Maybe I should change it to something more neutral so I donā€™t put some people off voting šŸ¤”... nah!

Del, Carl. I donā€™t think you guys voted. To be fair your comments were all far more thought out than mine!
Sorry - didn't spot the vote button. Done šŸ‘

Del C

Veteran
šŸ˜„ I keep forgetting I have that avatar. Maybe I should change it to something more neutral so I donā€™t put some people off voting šŸ¤”... nah!

Del, Carl. I donā€™t think you guys voted. To be fair your comments were all far more thought out than mine!
Voted now.

Sorry. Missed the voting option when I posted.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Back from your visit to the states? How was it?

Hey Randy sorry I didnā€™t reply earlier. I was in Las Vegas. We didnā€™t venture very far out of Vegas either. One of the guys I went out there with used to have an apartment there and I spent a bit of time there stating with him in my twenties. If we needed reminding, over the last few days we were reminded, none of us are in our twenties anymore. It may be a while before me and my liver are back on speaking terms. Good times though. Iā€™ve been to America a few times and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever failed to meet some great people. Even in Vegas!

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
when does the clock go to 0:00 Al? You mean as we set off or is there a timer on screen as we cross under a banner?
Yeah sorry I wasnā€™t very clear. My thinking was soft pedalling as a group to the official start banner once the meet up releases us from our virtual turbo trainers. Iā€™d agree though that it would only take one person to taker a flyer and that could marr the whole event.

Zwift should sort it by introducing the ability to set up private races, and groups of friends as Iā€™m sure it is a torture for @bridgy trying to remember everyone not to mention having to follow each person. Perhaps the club feature (coming Zoon) Will make this possible. until then I guess keeping it simple and the ā€œbats out of hellā€ start works for everyone.

Brusgaard

Ɯber Guru
Yeah sorry I wasnā€™t very clear. My thinking was soft pedalling as a group to the official start banner once the meet up releases us from our virtual turbo trainers. Iā€™d agree though that it would only take one person to taker a flyer and that could marr the whole event.
We could soft pedal to the banner and then STOP. When the organizer sees that everyone is at the line, he waits 10 seconds and then starts. Pretty much like the starts on Bkool.

bridgy

Legendary Member
We could soft pedal to the banner and then STOP. When the organizer sees that everyone is at the line, he waits 10 seconds and then starts. Pretty much like the starts on Bkool.
Don't think this will work. It would be hard to stop exactly on the line (can't brake). Also, how would people know exactly when the organizer starts counting to 10 and therefore when the race would start? If we were to do something like this I think it would just have to be a rolling start with everyone staying behind the race leader at an easy pace until we pass the start banner

Brusgaard

Ɯber Guru
Don't think this will work. It would be hard to stop exactly on the line (can't brake). Also, how would people know exactly when the organizer starts counting to 10 and therefore when the race would start? If we were to do something like this I think it would just have to be a rolling start with everyone staying behind the race leader at an easy pace until we pass the start banner

You press T (I think) which brings you to the Garage and effectively stops your avatar. The organizer stay at the line, and we just have to keep an eye on your avatar and be ready to ride, when you start. A second or two delay probably doesn't matter, at least not compared to the way we do it today, where there could be 10-30 seconds between riders crossing the segment start/banner.

<Tommy>

Going from zero to pushing full pelt would not be popular with my knees! And it just seems way too complicated to get perfect. And then there would still be time gaps between us.

Honestly I think the simplest thing to do in the circumstances is look out for the bridgy beacon and stay close to it. I havenā€™t done a race yet where there isnā€™t enough time before the banner to find Bridgyā€™s wheel.

As I said earlier I think this itā€™s harsh on bridgy to make it an ā€˜officialā€™ tactic because it limits his own starting tactics. But generally if we all try to do this we will start around the same time.

bridgy

Legendary Member
You press T (I think) which brings you to the Garage and effectively stops your avatar. The organizer stay at the line, and we just have to keep an eye on your avatar and be ready to ride, when you start. A second or two delay probably doesn't matter, at least not compared to the way we do it today, where there could be 10-30 seconds between riders crossing the segment start/banner.
Ah OK that sounds like a good way round the stopping issue.

I still think just a rolling start would be better/easier - I (or the ride leader) is effectively getting a jump on everyone else at the start otherwise which also doesn't seem right. The timing of when you cross the start banner is really only an issue for riders you're very closely matched with. We all know who these people are when we start a race - just mark each other and ensure you cross the line together and it will be fine. If someone decides to shoot off at top speed from the start and drop everyone before the start banner they clearly don't mind about this issue so it's up to them really. Either they will regret it as their competitors will be grouped together behind them and catch them while drafting together so they'd have wasted their energy, or they are confident they can stay away on their own in which case it's up to their competitors to try and stay with them at the start.

In other words I see what you choose to do before the timed segment to be just part of the overall race tactics really, and I kind of like that as it adds an extra dimension.

Having said that, if people would prefer a slow rolling start behind the race leader to the start banner I'm happy to do that - we have done it before and it worked fine.

Tommy, I don't think it will penalise me any more than anyone else because if we all go slowly together as a group with/behindme then the start tactics are the same for everyone really. I'm happy to go with the concensus.

I might try and set up a vote/poll.....

<Tommy>

My thinking was that if youā€™re committed to maintain speed and keeping everyone together it limits your options on the start. But like you Iā€™m more than happy just to go with the majority.
The way it is at the moment lee, Lars and Adam seem to go off like coiled springs and we catch them up the road so I have no problem with that scenario :cuppa:

bridgy

Legendary Member
My thinking was that if youā€™re committed to maintain speed and keeping everyone together it limits your options on the start. But like you Iā€™m more than happy just to go with the majority.
The way it is at the moment lee, Lars and Adam seem to go off like coiled springs and we catch them up the road so I have no problem with that scenario :cuppa:
See you on the start later :hugs:

:okay:

<Tommy>

See you on the start later :hugs:

:okay:

I have a feeling if I try and make any specific excuses I may just get shot down (canā€™t think why! :whistle:).

But I will just say on a general point Iā€™m thinking about tonightā€™s race with a certain level of dread.

Any chance we extend the rolling start until the finish line? Bridgy I think I want to change my vote!

Top Bottom