Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ryan lawman

Über Member
Didn’t Ryan Lawman use to ride brim? He has just done 2 rides in Zwift today totalling about 308km -and he was strong and fast. Immense.
Yes I did use the bkool sim and I did do the rides in the summer cup this year . But I do prefer zwift racing .. Yesterday on zwift was a 24 hour team event , were I managed 420 km and 4500 accent . I did want to ride the 24 hours but my boss put a stop to it by canceling my day of work on friday . I do 12 hour outdoor mtb racing 1x5th 1x7th this year . But doing it indoor is a different world it's hot sticky boring and no real life riders and support team pushing u (my 12 year old daughter is on my support team that is always a extra push ) anyway in the 24 hour race I done 3 rides . ride 1 . 1 1/2 times the pretzel 120 km . ride 2 the diamond back challenge 180 km hills and ride 3 120 km flat volcano 8 . Were at the end I think my laktat level was very high after a heavy week at work .. I am maybe looking at a 12 or 24 hour event in the uk next year and will be looking at needing a couple of people for support team .. :bicycle::hello::hello:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
The long turbo sessions, I prefer to call them sessions rather than rides, are mind altering. This was my experience on my virtual IoW ride.

The first hour or so is just like a normal go on the trainer. You're in a familiar place doing the usual thing but at a slightly less frenetic pace, knowing I would be there for a while I took it easier to begin with. The second hour is just an extension of the first. You get into the rhythm of the slightly lower intensity and trundle along to the music or video or whatever you are doing in addition pushing the pedals round.

The third hour you start to pick up on the little niggles of your riding position. You begin to stand up more frequently as the sit bones start to irritate you. Your hands start to give you grief so you start moving them around a lot more. You start to feel as though you want to hop off the bike for a pee, but fear that you will not want to get back on, so soldier on.

The fourth hour was where it went dark for me. The ' I'm gonna complete this ' mentality kicks in and you body really starts to moan at you. The hands hurt, the feet hurt, the sit bones hurt, the back starts to poke at you to remind you it's there. My legs surprisingly didn't hurt much, but I was not racing, just trundling along. The last 15 minutes was where I went a little loopy.

The end is near and I was fearing a bsim crash taking all my hard work with it. I wanted it to be over. I had kept myself fed and well watered so I needed the loo. The choice of riding position is by now a 30 second relief point, hoods 30 seconds, stand 30 seconds, bar top 30 seconds, upright 30 seconds and so on. the last k's arrive and you are counting down the centimeters until the finish. Done :wahhey::bicycle::wahhey::surrender::wahhey::unsure:.

With it over and done with you wonder what you have just done and try to switch off the pain of various parts. You get off the bike and stagger to wherever you need to go, for me it was the loo.

I was left wondering if I'd want to do that again. IRL riding gets you somewhere that virtual riding doesn't. But virtual riding allows you more options in the manner in which you attempt the longer rides. It just takes a while to work out if it was worth the effort you put in. In my case I think it was as I now had the knowledge of longer rides than I had attempted previously. I just know that I can do them now and although difficult the sense of achievement is immense. I just need to get IRL rides done more often now :unsure:

TL;DR Long trainer sessions hurt various parts and you wonder why you did it.

TB I don't think I could do anywhere near that long on a turbo. Your write up really painted a vivid picture off all the physical and mental challenges you went through and I can understand why you felt such a sense of achievement, very well done mate.

Like you say, now you've done it once you'll of learned lessons you can use going forward. Changing position often, from the start of a ride, will help to stave off aches and pains later on. You'll still get to a point where things start to ache but prevention is always better than cure as they say. Also you've got to get off the bike once in a while! I'd say maybe every 30 or 40 miles at least. I know what you're saying about fear of not wanting to climb back on but... I you get off, have a stretch out, take a toilet break etc, it makes a huge diffference. I think at a guess when we did IOW we stopped 4 or 5 times at least. Once for chip butties!
You'll have to come out for a pootle with me and @bobinski at some point TB. Could be a good laugh. Not too pacey I promise.

<Tommy>

Yes I did use the bkool sim and I did do the rides in the summer cup this year . But I do prefer zwift racing .. Yesterday on zwift was a 24 hour team event , were I managed 420 km and 4500 accent . I did want to ride the 24 hours but my boss put a stop to it by canceling my day of work on friday . I do 12 hour outdoor mtb racing 1x5th 1x7th this year . But doing it indoor is a different world it's hot sticky boring and no real life riders and support team pushing u (my 12 year old daughter is on my support team that is always a extra push ) anyway in the 24 hour race I done 3 rides . ride 1 . 1 1/2 times the pretzel 120 km . ride 2 the diamond back challenge 180 km hills and ride 3 120 km flat volcano 8 . Were at the end I think my laktat level was very high after a heavy week at work .. I am maybe looking at a 12 or 24 hour event in the uk next year and will be looking at needing a couple of people for support team .. :bicycle::hello::hello:

Consider us your virtual support team Ryan! :hello:

Ryan lawman

Über Member
I don’t know but I am thinking about doing a Kiss 100 race :eek:
On Sunday's there 2 one at 6 am were the pace is very high I was 10 th last week were my legs went going up box hill the 5th time . And ther is one at 2 pm Kiss Europe , if I remember correctly it's a high pace but a flat course but I am not sure u would have to look in the race details ...

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Yeah, "don't get sick" is really important.

If you're not a premium strava subscriber, you can use Golden Cheetah to track your fitness level. Here's my curve (the lightblue).
I was supposed to peak at an event at the vertical line. Every single og those longer declining lines represents illness or injury. The curve respresent quite well how it felt: every time a was gaining a bit of fitness I was bumped back to square one.

View attachment 379737

Golden cheetah is really useful to me. Much more detail than strava. Only annoying thing is I have to manual upload from my wahoo bolt via the laptop.

Breedon

Legendary Member
The long turbo sessions, I prefer to call them sessions rather than rides, are mind altering. This was my experience on my virtual IoW ride.

The first hour or so is just like a normal go on the trainer. You're in a familiar place doing the usual thing but at a slightly less frenetic pace, knowing I would be there for a while I took it easier to begin with. The second hour is just an extension of the first. You get into the rhythm of the slightly lower intensity and trundle along to the music or video or whatever you are doing in addition pushing the pedals round.

The third hour you start to pick up on the little niggles of your riding position. You begin to stand up more frequently as the sit bones start to irritate you. Your hands start to give you grief so you start moving them around a lot more. You start to feel as though you want to hop off the bike for a pee, but fear that you will not want to get back on, so soldier on.

The fourth hour was where it went dark for me. The ' I'm gonna complete this ' mentality kicks in and you body really starts to moan at you. The hands hurt, the feet hurt, the sit bones hurt, the back starts to poke at you to remind you it's there. My legs surprisingly didn't hurt much, but I was not racing, just trundling along. The last 15 minutes was where I went a little loopy.

The end is near and I was fearing a bsim crash taking all my hard work with it. I wanted it to be over. I had kept myself fed and well watered so I needed the loo. The choice of riding position is by now a 30 second relief point, hoods 30 seconds, stand 30 seconds, bar top 30 seconds, upright 30 seconds and so on. the last k's arrive and you are counting down the centimeters until the finish. Done :wahhey::bicycle::wahhey::surrender::wahhey::unsure:.

With it over and done with you wonder what you have just done and try to switch off the pain of various parts. You get off the bike and stagger to wherever you need to go, for me it was the loo.

I was left wondering if I'd want to do that again. IRL riding gets you somewhere that virtual riding doesn't. But virtual riding allows you more options in the manner in which you attempt the longer rides. It just takes a while to work out if it was worth the effort you put in. In my case I think it was as I now had the knowledge of longer rides than I had attempted previously. I just know that I can do them now and although difficult the sense of achievement is immense. I just need to get IRL rides done more often now :unsure:

TL;DR Long trainer sessions hurt various parts and you wonder why you did it.

That pretty much sums it all up TB, i basically had 2 goals first was elevation, i had done that and pleased with it, next goal was distance i really wanted to do a 100 miler, when you see people who have done 80+ miles on zwift you've got to give them respect for that much time on a turbo.

On a turbo you have little rest, no sitting at traffic lights no coasting on the flats and little rest on the down hills as i kept on turning the pedals so i didn't seize up it's just going and going, but the biggest and hardest thing is the mind once your mind starts to think it doesn't like what your doing then game over.
It would be harder on bkool as your by yourself so extra kudos for that :notworthy:, on zwift it slightly easier as your with real people who you can ride with/draft and change direction as and when you want.

I would recommend it to anyone as it's not just the body that gets a work out but also the mind.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I intend to do one 100 mile Zwift ride before the end of the year. I want to beat my best 2 hour, 3 hour and 4 hour average Power from last year. Might be a bit of a challenge doing them all in one ride :smile:

LBHIFI

Veteran
What do all the pretty colours mean?
Purple ATL (Acute Training Load)
Yellow TSB (Training Stress Balance)
Light Blue CTL (Chronic Training Load)

Basicly CTL is your current fitness level.
TSB could be viewed as "race readiness". E.g. even the most extraordinary fitness would be useless if you are too fatigued for that special event.

I slipped in a 20 min peak power curve (red) as well, because it's important for my TT.
Note that I hit higher peaks 3 times after my event, and 2 of those were just while training on the turbo (not even racing). A good indication that I was not at my best when I did my TT event in August.

Ryan lawman

Über Member
Didn’t Ryan Lawman use to ride brim? He has just done 2 rides in Zwift today totalling about 308km -and he was strong and fast. Immense.
and if anyone is intrested here a link to a 12 hour MTB race on a hot summers day this year were i was 7th with 130 mile and over 17000 feet of climbing . i think i lost over 4 lbs in Body weight in this race https://www.strava.com/activities/1019701310

BurningLegs

Veteran
I completed my first Zwift race today, the WBR 3 Laps hilly race. I got a RideOn from a fellow CCer whilst racing, so thanks for that.

There were 25 racers in Cat C and I finished 5th so very happy with that for a first race! I did make a mistake at the start and raced with a Cat B group for the first lap which nearly killed me before I realised and dropped back.

Here is the race on ZwiftPower if anyone is interested: https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=13751

Looks like I was promoted into B Cat which I was half expecting - my old FTP (before Zwift Acadamy) put me on the borderline of B/C, but after the race my FTP increased to 3.6W/KG

Loved the race though, and looking forward to doing more!

Breedon

Legendary Member
I completed my first Zwift race today, the WBR 3 Laps hilly race. I got a RideOn from a fellow CCer whilst racing, so thanks for that.

There were 25 racers in Cat C and I finished 5th so very happy with that for a first race! I did make a mistake at the start and raced with a Cat B group for the first lap which nearly killed me before I realised and dropped back.

Here is the race on ZwiftPower if anyone is interested: https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=13751

Looks like I was promoted into B Cat which I was half expecting - my old FTP (before Zwift Acadamy) put me on the borderline of B/C, but after the race my FTP increased to 3.6W/KG

Loved the race though, and looking forward to doing more!
What's your name on zwift

Top Bottom