Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
https://www.strava.com/activities/1240251051 :biggrin:
dam less than 13k of climbing must try hard next time
:notworthy:

The virtual IoW I did last month left me sore in places that shouldn't be, in half the time you did yours in with a 1/4 of the climbing.

:notworthy:

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Didn’t Ryan Lawman use to ride brim? He has just done 2 rides in Zwift today totalling about 308km -and he was strong and fast. Immense.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Bob, 100k or miles?

Lee, very impressive climbing up the pretzel:okay:

100km today and the kiss race is also 100 km.

Lee got super excited after seeing some video of where we will be riding in the Pyrenees ^_^ said he was rushing off to Zwift. I reckon he will peak to early:laugh:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
well theres no way that i am doing 117 mile on turbo ! i toyed with the idea of doing the 100k but even then i think i would rather be outside
long rides on turbo play major mind games and i doth my cap to all who do it
i am happy doing long rides outside where i dont care about up hills as they mean theres a down hill coming and a rest but a continuous solid ride on turbo i think is a lot harder - plus - if you head out from home and do 50 mile - you aint got no choice if you want to get home but to do the 100 - its too easy to just hop off the turbo
if we done a marathon ride of time on turbo it would interesting to see what happened - apart from a lot of middle aged men walking funny for a couple of days !

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
well theres no way that i am doing 117 mile on turbo ! i toyed with the idea of doing the 100k but even then i think i would rather be outside
long rides on turbo play major mind games and i doth my cap to all who do it
i am happy doing long rides outside where i dont care about up hills as they mean theres a down hill coming and a rest but a continuous solid ride on turbo i think is a lot harder - plus - if you head out from home and do 50 mile - you aint got no choice if you want to get home but to do the 100 - its too easy to just hop off the turbo
if we done a marathon ride of time on turbo it would interesting to see what happened - apart from a lot of middle aged men walking funny for a couple of days !
The long turbo sessions, I prefer to call them sessions rather than rides, are mind altering. This was my experience on my virtual IoW ride.

The first hour or so is just like a normal go on the trainer. You're in a familiar place doing the usual thing but at a slightly less frenetic pace, knowing I would be there for a while I took it easier to begin with. The second hour is just an extension of the first. You get into the rhythm of the slightly lower intensity and trundle along to the music or video or whatever you are doing in addition pushing the pedals round.

The third hour you start to pick up on the little niggles of your riding position. You begin to stand up more frequently as the sit bones start to irritate you. Your hands start to give you grief so you start moving them around a lot more. You start to feel as though you want to hop off the bike for a pee, but fear that you will not want to get back on, so soldier on.

The fourth hour was where it went dark for me. The ' I'm gonna complete this ' mentality kicks in and you body really starts to moan at you. The hands hurt, the feet hurt, the sit bones hurt, the back starts to poke at you to remind you it's there. My legs surprisingly didn't hurt much, but I was not racing, just trundling along. The last 15 minutes was where I went a little loopy.

The end is near and I was fearing a bsim crash taking all my hard work with it. I wanted it to be over. I had kept myself fed and well watered so I needed the loo. The choice of riding position is by now a 30 second relief point, hoods 30 seconds, stand 30 seconds, bar top 30 seconds, upright 30 seconds and so on. the last k's arrive and you are counting down the centimeters until the finish. Done :wahhey::bicycle::wahhey::surrender::wahhey::unsure:.

With it over and done with you wonder what you have just done and try to switch off the pain of various parts. You get off the bike and stagger to wherever you need to go, for me it was the loo.

I was left wondering if I'd want to do that again. IRL riding gets you somewhere that virtual riding doesn't. But virtual riding allows you more options in the manner in which you attempt the longer rides. It just takes a while to work out if it was worth the effort you put in. In my case I think it was as I now had the knowledge of longer rides than I had attempted previously. I just know that I can do them now and although difficult the sense of achievement is immense. I just need to get IRL rides done more often now :unsure:

TL;DR Long trainer sessions hurt various parts and you wonder why you did it.

Last edited:
The long turbo sessions, I prefer to call them sessions rather than rides, are mind altering. This was my experience on my virtual IoW ride.

The first hour or so is just like a normal go on the trainer. You're in a familiar place doing the usual thing but at a slightly less frenetic pace, knowing I would be there for a while I took it easier to begin with. The second hour is just an extension of the first. You get into the rhythm of the slightly lower intensity and trundle along to the music or video or whatever you are doing in addition pushing the pedals round.

The third hour you start to pick up on the little niggles of your riding position. You begin to stand up more frequently as the sit bones start to irritate you. Your hands start to give you grief so you start moving them around a lot more. You start to feel as though you want to hop off the bike for a pee, but fear that you will not want to get back on, so soldier on.

The fourth hour was where it went dark for me. The ' I'm gonna complete this ' mentality kicks in and you body really starts to moan at you. The hands hurt, the feet hurt, the sit bones hurt, the back starts to poke at you to remind you it's there. My legs surprisingly didn't hurt much, but I was not racing, just trundling along. The last 15 minutes was where I went a little loopy.

The end is near and I was fearing a bsim crash taking all my hard work with it. I wanted it to be over. I had kept myself fed and well watered so I needed the loo. The choice of riding position is by now a 30 second relief point, hoods 30 seconds, stand 30 seconds, bar top 30 seconds, upright 30 seconds and so on. the last k's arrive and you are counting down the centimeters until the finish. Done :wahhey::bicycle::wahhey::surrender::wahhey::unsure:.

With it over and done with you wonder what you have just done and try to switch off the pain of various parts. You get off the bike and stagger to wherever you need to go, for me it was the loo.

I was left wondering if I'd want to do that again. IRL riding gets you somewhere that virtual riding doesn't. But virtual riding allows you more options in the manner in which you attempt the longer rides. It just takes a while to work out if it was worth the effort you put in. In my case I think it was as I now had the knowledge of longer rides than I had attempted previously. I just know that I can do them now and although difficult the sense of achievement is immense. I just need to get IRL rides done more often now :unsure:

TL;DR Long trainer sessions hurt various parts and you wonder why you did it.
For me the long sessions, like a long ride outside make anything less much easier. The thought in the back of your mind that you did the virtual IoW will make a 2 hour ride seem like a walk in the park. It's why the goat league is good for me. It forces me to do climbs that I never choose but then anything less than a steady uphill slog is fun.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
@theboxers Didn't you say you got into the London Pru for 2018?. Long multi hour rides plus HIT is needed for you to build strength/endurance, so the Pru 100 isnt a physical slog.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Yeah, "don't get sick" is really important.

If you're not a premium strava subscriber, you can use Golden Cheetah to track your fitness level. Here's my curve (the lightblue).
I was supposed to peak at an event at the vertical line. Every single og those longer declining lines represents illness or injury. The curve respresent quite well how it felt: every time a was gaining a bit of fitness I was bumped back to square one.

upload_2017-10-22_8-43-16.png

Top Bottom