Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
How do what?!?

Ryan lawman

Über Member
Happy birthday Bob - they must be party poppers i can hear !! i thought it was your knee :biggrin:
Happy Birthday Bob , i'll have a few German Protein Shakes for U ..

Attachments

• IMG_20171022_211834.jpg
    IMG_20171022_211834.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 40

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
As a Black Country boy born and bred, below are some words we used as kids :okay:

Bostin'
is a well-known word meaning amazing, brilliant or excellent. Bost is (like the similar word bust) slang for broken, and so the word bostin' means the same as 'smashing.'

Our kid is a term for a brother or sister (usually younger). It's also used to refer to any younger relative, friend or colleague 'Come on our kid, let's get the bus into town.'

Babby is a local variation of baby, and the shortened form bab is often used as an affectionate term for 'love or dear', as in 'How are you, bab?

Wench is an affectionate term for a girl or young woman.

Fittle is a local word for food, and therefore 'bostin' fittle' is a way of saying great food - it's also the name of a restaurant in Dudley.

Going round the Wrekin is a popular local phrase in the Midlands. It means taking a long and rambling route to a destination or taking a long time to get to the point of a story. The Wrekin is a hill in Shropshire.

The word noggy means old-fashioned or outdated, according to @cjp22 31m via Twitter

A cob is the local word for a bread roll, supposedly because the small round loaves look like street cobbles.

To bawl is to cry loudly, such as the noisy wailing and sobbing of an upset child.

The phrase 'go and play up your own end' is shouted at children who are being a nuisance in the street, telling them to go away and play outside their own homes instead.

Pop means any fizzy soft drink such as lemonade.

Lamp means to hit or beat up as 'I'm going to lamp you if you carry on', 'He gave him a right lamping.'

Birmingham folk call a forward roll a gambol

The West Midlands has an extensive canal network and Birmingham is said to have more miles of canal than Venice. Locally, residents refer to a canal as 'the cut' such as saying they are going 'up the cut' - meaning they are heading along the canal towpath to get somewhere.

Back of Rackhams - this phrase had its origins in the red-light spot once at the back of Rackhams department store (now House of Fraser) in Birmingham city centre.

'She'll be round the back o'Rackhams' might be said of someone accused of being promiscuous. 'I'll end up round the back o'Rackhams' might be heard if a woman jokingly felt she would be forced into prostitution to pay all the household expenses. #

If someone is accused of being cack-handed or caggy-handed, they are usually doing something in a clumsy or fumbling way. The phrase also describes someone who is left-handed.

Hard sweets are often known as rocks.

Someone who is half-soaked is stupid or slow-witted.

Breedon

Legendary Member
As a Black Country boy born and bred, below are some words we used as kids :okay:

Bostin'
is a well-known word meaning amazing, brilliant or excellent. Bost is (like the similar word bust) slang for broken, and so the word bostin' means the same as 'smashing.'

Our kid is a term for a brother or sister (usually younger). It's also used to refer to any younger relative, friend or colleague 'Come on our kid, let's get the bus into town.'

Babby is a local variation of baby, and the shortened form bab is often used as an affectionate term for 'love or dear', as in 'How are you, bab?

Wench is an affectionate term for a girl or young woman.

Fittle is a local word for food, and therefore 'bostin' fittle' is a way of saying great food - it's also the name of a restaurant in Dudley.

Going round the Wrekin is a popular local phrase in the Midlands. It means taking a long and rambling route to a destination or taking a long time to get to the point of a story. The Wrekin is a hill in Shropshire.

The word noggy means old-fashioned or outdated, according to @cjp22 31m via Twitter

A cob is the local word for a bread roll, supposedly because the small round loaves look like street cobbles.

To bawl is to cry loudly, such as the noisy wailing and sobbing of an upset child.

The phrase 'go and play up your own end' is shouted at children who are being a nuisance in the street, telling them to go away and play outside their own homes instead.

Pop means any fizzy soft drink such as lemonade.

Lamp means to hit or beat up as 'I'm going to lamp you if you carry on', 'He gave him a right lamping.'

Birmingham folk call a forward roll a gambol

The West Midlands has an extensive canal network and Birmingham is said to have more miles of canal than Venice. Locally, residents refer to a canal as 'the cut' such as saying they are going 'up the cut' - meaning they are heading along the canal towpath to get somewhere.

Back of Rackhams - this phrase had its origins in the red-light spot once at the back of Rackhams department store (now House of Fraser) in Birmingham city centre.

'She'll be round the back o'Rackhams' might be said of someone accused of being promiscuous. 'I'll end up round the back o'Rackhams' might be heard if a woman jokingly felt she would be forced into prostitution to pay all the household expenses. #

If someone is accused of being cack-handed or caggy-handed, they are usually doing something in a clumsy or fumbling way. The phrase also describes someone who is left-handed.

Hard sweets are often known as rocks.

Someone who is half-soaked is stupid or slow-witted.
Dont call HID a wench :B) :laugh:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
I would reply 'How-do' :biggrin:

Interesting - I would reply ‘now then’ Na-then.

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Interesting - I would reply ‘now then’ Na-then.
In today's climate that'd bring out the pitchfork gang, depending how it was said. :eek:

I can't post a similar list for us Londoners. There are too many dialects inside the M25 and that's just in English, allegedly. Just going from where I live to Croydon, where I work, requires a translation dictionary at times :whistle:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
we tend to miss out a lot of letters and change vowels in words what gets confusing for even the most persevering as maybe Dean and Andy know - even though i am trying my best not to do it while in posh company :okay:
there was even a sign put up in town promoting something but put in the way we speak - and a load of people complained as they hadn't got a clue what it said
eg - you fat pig = yer grut ug
the nearest big town is kettering but it becomes ke'rin - missing out half the letters and one syllable

Last edited:

Gary E

Veteran
I've worked and lived in the south of England now for 30 years and I've obviously picked up some of the lingo.
Unfortunately for me I'm now ostracised by both ends of the country - in the south people still refer to my Northern accent whilst in the North, when I go home, my own family often say things like "A'up ah Ga'reh, don't you speak posh".
It would appear that one cannot please all of the people all of the time ;)

Top Bottom