100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would seem that a fixed gear ride attracts more participants than a normal geared one, nearly 4 years ago now I organised my first forum ride for fixed gear and 4F was the only taker, I'm sure he will remember that in some detail :whistle:.
Trying to get this moved as it is now an informal Cycle Chat ride, albeit fixed, is their a direct line to a mod or does one have to send a pm?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Trying to get this moved as it is now an informal Cycle Chat ride, albeit fixed, is their a direct line to a mod or does one have to send a pm?
Use the report link below your post, and explain what you want doing in the box which pops up.

Use the report link below your post, and explain what you want doing in the box which pops up.
Yep, done that, given a title, no one at home :sad:
*Rushes out to bike shed to weigh up fixie conversion options on son's 531 framed Raleigh Vittesse*

It's possible, and I like a challenge. I shall watch this thread with interest Steve

It's about time we did another, and what a way to kick off the season, I was wondering if there might be an invasion of northerners :smile:.

Put me down as a possible,I'll have to price up train tickets,b and b etc
unless anyone wants to share petrol money from Manchester area and give us a lift,
I take it Oakham is going to be the nearest train station to the start of the ride?
Yep. There are two train routes - either Manchester Pic - B'ham NS, change at B'ham NS and straight to Oakham (easiest route as only one change), or Manchester Pic - Sheffield, Shef - Leicester, Leic - Oakham. £42.80 off peak return or cheaper if you buy singles. We can look around for the best B&B prices in Oakham if you want.

Aye lad an' I'll come along messen.
A pardon then from them as comes from wrong side of pennines:tongue:

To keep this going through the winter months let's have a bit about the bikes you are riding / hoping to ride. I may have another frame by then because the current Pearson I ride is alu and beginning to look the worse for wear, not surprising after almost 40,000 miles in some grim weather, hoping for a steel frame at some point. I will be riding a 75" gear, I certainly couldn't go much bigger around here although the route will be at the worst rolling with just a couple of hills requiring a bit of grinding.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Put me down as a possible......unless anyone wants to share petrol money from Manchester area and give us a lift,......?
If my plan comes together and I am not working on the chosen date then you will be welcome to a lift with me Paul. I have a rack for 4 bikes on the roof, just need to build a bike to qualify.

A pardon then from them as comes from wrong side of pennines:tongue:

To keep this going through the winter months let's have a bit about the bikes you are riding / hoping to ride......

My plan is to build a matching wheel so I can convert THIS RALEIGH quickly and easily from fixed to geared as required. If I'm not mistaken then all I will need is a wheel and spare chain. This will mean I can whip off the rear derailleur and swap tyres over then I'm ready to roll? Am I missing anything here?

D

Deleted member 1258

Fixed Commuter.jpg

My Pearson, its lost its black front mudguard after I broke it putting it in the car, back to silver, a little over six years old with about 20000 miles under the wheels, currently running 700cx25 tyres, 165 cranks and a 48x19 66inch gear, its in surprisingly good shape considering the hard use in all weathers I've put it through, I'm thinking about a steel framed home brew fixed as a replacement but not any time soon, I couldn't finance one.

D

Deleted member 1258

If my plan comes together and I am not working on the chosen date then you will be welcome to a lift with me Paul. I have a rack for 4 bikes on the roof, just need to build a bike to qualify.

My plan is to build a matching wheel so I can convert THIS RALEIGH quickly and easily from fixed to geared as required. If I'm not mistaken then all I will need is a wheel and spare chain. This will mean I can whip off the rear derailleur and swap tyres over then I'm ready to roll? Am I missing anything here?

It would be a shame to butcher that for a fixed conversion, it looks glorious as is, I'd leave it alone and just enjoy it.

THIS RALEIGH[/URL] quickly and easily from fixed to geared as required. If I'm not mistaken then all I will need is a wheel and spare chain. This will mean I can whip off the rear derailleur and swap tyres over then I'm ready to roll? Am I missing anything here?

I have a campag track wheel that i bought that had
a crude painted rim,I put another rim on it,replaced one
of the cone nuts,just needs truing,possibly new balls
and regreasing (cant remember if i changed these
when i replaced the cone nut),it could do with a new
track nut on one side as there is a split in the washer,
works fine tho never slipped.
It's only gathering dust up in the attic,if you can put it
to use just let me know.

On the Rutland thread a question has arisen from Colin who would like to know if gears can come along. I think this needs to be a democratic decision. My own view is that anyone on a geared bike might feel a tad uncomfortable and / or out of place among a bunch of fixed riders but not up to me..
It stands to reason [I hope] that any fixed rider contemplating riding 100 miles is going to be reasonably strong so the distance shouldn't in itself be a problem, as always it will be about pacing. Myself or dr_pink will set the pace which will be steady and aim to complete in 8 hours including stops, a bit longer if we are unlucky with punctures.
How does that sound?

colly

Re member eR
Sounds good to me TF. :thumbsup:

As for geared riders ? I'm easy. (as has been said to me before in my younger days)

Top Bottom