100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I still am, apparently
It's a burden I know.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
This is my steed for the day!
bianchi_zps19e4dd16.jpg

Currently on 48x18 (70inch).
Have you any provisional dates in mind? It'll be good to have an idea of when, to give us lazy, fair-weather cyclists northern snow and ice bound riders chance to get some miles in;)

I have no great opinion either way on geared riders coming along, as long as they don't free wheel down the hills making "weeeeeeeeee!" noises while my legs spin off.:eek:

This is my steed for the day!
bianchi_zps19e4dd16.jpg

Currently on 48x18 (70inch).
Have you any provisional dates in mind? It'll be good to have an idea of when, to give us lazy, fair-weather cyclists northern snow and ice bound riders chance to get some miles in;)

I have no great opinion either way on geared riders coming along, as long as they don't free wheel down the hills making "weeeeeeeeee!" noises while my legs spin off.:eek:

Well, given last year's weather I'm not into making dates this early except I had hoped to do it sometime in April. We have to wait until early January though because our race schedule doesn't come out until then.
I have just realised where you are from, good man making the trip down. The last time we were there was in Keswick on the hottest day of the year when dr_pink raced 100 miles...........in 4hrs 31 min, just sayin :rolleyes:.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Well, given last year's weather I'm not into making dates this early except I had hoped to do it sometime in April. We have to wait until early January though because our race schedule doesn't come out until then.
I have just realised where you are from, good man making the trip down. The last time we were there was in Keswick on the hottest day of the year when dr_pink raced 100 miles...........in 4hrs 31 min, just sayin :rolleyes:.
No probs, personally I'd prefer a little later, but hopefully we'll have a mild winter and I can get out and ramp the mileage up a bit.
I have family in that part of the world so I'll make a weekend of it (assuming you are thinking of a weekend ride).
That's a good average speed, was it all down hill :rofl:

D

Deleted member 1258

On the Rutland thread a question has arisen from Colin who would like to know if gears can come along. I think this needs to be a democratic decision. My own view is that anyone on a geared bike might feel a tad uncomfortable and / or out of place among a bunch of fixed riders but not up to me..
It stands to reason [I hope] that any fixed rider contemplating riding 100 miles is going to be reasonably strong so the distance shouldn't in itself be a problem, as always it will be about pacing. Myself or dr_pink will set the pace which will be steady and aim to complete in 8 hours including stops, a bit longer if we are unlucky with punctures.
How does that sound?

Sounds good to me.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'd vote for Fixed and singlespeed only, but I won't cry if I get out-voted

8 hours including stops sounds good

Any other views? IMO it should probably do what it says on the tin, which is a fixed gear ride. From past experience when everyone is riding fixed there is a great sense of all for one and one for all, plus a greater understanding of each others bikes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I also vote for the 'fixed only' rule. For me that is the attraction to the ride and I am intending to build/convert a bike to fixed so I am entitled to come along.

Pennine Pauls kind offer of a wheel on loan means I will need very little, if anything, in the way of parts to make my intended bike into a fixed for the day (although I do intend to ride it a little bit before committing to a century ride!).

I also vote for the 'fixed only' rule. For me that is the attraction to the ride and I am intending to build/convert a bike to fixed so I am entitled to come along.

Pennine Pauls kind offer of a wheel on loan means I will need very little, if anything, in the way of parts to make my intended bike into a fixed for the day (although I do intend to ride it a little bit before committing to a century ride!).
Phew!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I will throw my cap in and say Fixed only, although I would consider letting the singlespeed crowd along as well :reading:

I will throw my cap in and say Fixed only, although I would consider letting the singlespeed crowd along as well :reading:
Similar feelings, not sure about the crowd bit though.
As a singlespeed rider I would love to come along.
Can you not borrow a fixed rear wheel and discover the pain joy of riding 100 miles without stopping pedalling
[apart from cakes, naturally]?
I was also hoping that somewhere among the twenty odd thousand members there might be another female fixed rider to keep dr_pink company, but I have never heard of one outside the London LFGSS mob.

Top Bottom