100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I was also hoping that somewhere among the twenty odd thousand members there might be another female fixed rider to keep dr_pink company.

I'm sure with the right inducements one of the chaps could be called upon to wear a dress and a bonnet. What we need is a volunteer. :thumbsup:

I'm sure with the right inducements one of the chaps could be called upon to wear a dress and a bonnet. What we need is a volunteer. :thumbsup:
Being as you thought of it............................

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You're able to raid Mrs Colly's wardrobe, which gives you an instant advantage over me. And in any case, I'm not sure my legs are good for a fixed century.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Your size Colly?

2012_6_12_15_25_46.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

And in any case, I'm not sure my legs are good for a fixed century.

I'm working on the legs, over 400 miles in November, over 70 miles so far in December, and no I'm not volenteering to wear a dress, it would look out of place with my beard.^_^

colly

Re member eR

I'm still on 65", same as always. That's good for me up to about 65-70 miles at 75ft ascent per mile. I might not manage another 30-35 miles, unless it was a lot flatter (in which case I'd be wanting a bigger gear).
Been mulling over this and I am fairly sure you would manage the ride. I'm not really into the numbers game except to give a distance on "Your ride today", so your 75ft of ascent per mile means nothing to me. However, I do know that when a group of people on fixed are riding together it is so different to anything else I have experienced.
I have ridden on a few occasions on fixed with several of those on this thread, one of whom is well into his sixties and I am confident we will all make it.
Rides of 50 - 70 miles [depending on terrain] are good preparation because over 100 miles the group will do the rest. I have no idea of your experience or anything else but if it was me I would try a rear sprocket with one less tooth and ride maybe 68" or 69" and see how that feels.
The 8 hours is not written in stone, and anyone struggling a bit towards the end will get a lot of help from the others. In my experience you are less likely to encounter testosterone fuelled / erratic riding with those on fixed because we have absolutely nothing to prove.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm still on 65", same as always. That's good for me up to about 65-70 miles at 75ft ascent per mile. I might not manage another 30-35 miles, unless it was a lot flatter (in which case I'd be wanting a bigger gear).

I'm currently running 48x19 on 700cx25 with 165 cranks, that gives me a 66.6 inch gear, I find that a good compromise between climbing and speed on the flat.
For several years I ran 44x18 on 700cx28 with 165 cranks, that gave me a 65.4 inch gear, I went well on that though I did tend to spin out on the flat when I had a tail wind.

I use the rabbit gear calculator and run it outside the browser.

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is it just me that mashes a big gear then?
I currently ride 45/15 78.9" or 45/14 84.5"
I find anything lower than 70" way too spinny

I tend to ride 48/18 70.2" most of the year but will as the mood / weather suits flip to 48/16 78"9. I don't think that even in the flatlands of Suffolk I would like to go higher than that.

colly

Re member eR
A frantic 44 x 18 for me which is a little over 64''. Weather permitting I'll try a 17 cog this weekend which would make it a whole 68''
Managing 45 x 14 would be hard on the old knees, let alone trying to crank that uphill.:ohmy:

Top Bottom