100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dr_pink

Hello all, thanks for the good luck messages. TF is doing well, surgery went v well & much quicker than anticipated - surgeon confirmed his excellent reputation!
TF was discharged that afternoon! I had to drive him home - think that was scarier than the op ;)
Biggest challenge now is making him rest... He's determined to get out on the bike today...
Happy Xmas all xxx

D

Deleted member 1258

Good news, glad it went well, rope him to a chair if you have to, but make him rest, best wishes to both of you for an excellent Xmas

Howard Peter T

Uh I guess this is a good a place as anywhere...I'm contemplating visiting UK from Israel and lugging my Bianchi Pista with me. April 16 to May 6th...was looking at going from the wall to Kielder (or at least some of the way), along the wall, and from Ravenglass to Birker Fell, Ravenglass to Honister Pass and Honister Pass to Penrith, at a minimum...I could take my mountain bike but frankly I much more enjoy the fixie. Does my plan sound insane? Thanks

colly

Re member eR
Uh I guess this is a good a place as anywhere...I'm contemplating visiting UK from Israel and lugging my Bianchi Pista with me. April 16 to May 6th...was looking at going from the wall to Kielder (or at least some of the way), along the wall, and from Ravenglass to Birker Fell, Ravenglass to Honister Pass and Honister Pass to Penrith, at a minimum...I could take my mountain bike but frankly I much more enjoy the fixie. Does my plan sound insane? Thanks
Hi. :welcome:

I'm assuming you will be riding on the road. There are some 'interesting' climbs around those parts so you would need to select a suitable gear. Other than that I can't see a problem.
Cross country though ?? Deffo insane. :smile:
Have you plotted any kind of route? If you have post it up and someone with local knowledge might be able to give you some good tips.
You might have more luck with relies by posting in 'Touring' or even 'General Cycling'

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Honister is very steep, to give you an idea how steep have a read of this
http://www.lakesroadclub.org.uk/events/the-fred-whitton-on-fixed/
You'll walk the climbs and when you get to the top you'll look at the state of the road and steepness and walk down the other side too!
I love the lakes passes and I love riding fixed, but imho the two don't mix very well (not if you want to enjoy it!)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Honister is very steep, to give you an idea how steep have a read of this
http://www.lakesroadclub.org.uk/events/the-fred-whitton-on-fixed/
You'll walk the climbs and when you get to the top you'll look at the state of the road and steepness and walk down the other side too!
I love the lakes passes and I love riding fixed, but imho the two don't mix very well (not if you want to enjoy it!)
What an interesting read, an inspiration not an off putter IMO.

Fixed 100mile for spring................any date suggested yet?
Not as yet because I have a shoulder op to get through first and that is scheduled for sometime in March. If I recover quickly then I am going to say sometime in the second half of April. There is plenty of time for the weather to turn nasty before then which will mean some will not be able to get the miles in beforehand. I will give a couple of possible dates in 12 days time when we get the TT handbook, but will definitely aim for late April and at the latest the first week of May.

Good luck with that!

Has your pulse settled down now, post-op? (Mine has been a lot better the past few weeks, but I still have to be careful not to make hard efforts without a good warm up or my heart starts beating way too fast.)
Completely recovered and then some! Resting pulse now in 30's and I am climbing hills better than ever [dr_pink rolling eyes] Took heart rate up to 170 ten days after op without any problems. Been doing physio every day to prepare for the shoulder op but can't have it done until March because I have to take aspirin for 6 weeks then they have to wait a further 7 or 8 weeks before operating after that, but looking good thanks.

colly

Re member eR
Had me worried for a while there.
Mrs Colly has booked a cottage in the Peak District in May..........fortunately its the 23rd onward.:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

That gives me a chance to get the legs better sorted, I'm very slow at the moment, I've done no training this winter, unfortunately I've been too busy, work before Xmas, no point trying to train when your knackered after a busy day, since Xmas I've been decorating the back bedroom, doing it in the evening after work.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as you aren't swinging off that shoulder too soon you should be ok. I was off the bike two weeks and managed a 40 mile hilly ride just after a month. Glad the ticker is sorted.

Top Bottom