100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Not getting many miles in at all sadly. :sad:
50 something a week last Saturday and nothing since. However, the evenings or early mornings are looking a good bet for the next couple of weeks and next weekend should be OK for me too.

Assuming the weather is not 'End of the World' stuff I'll be out a bit.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've not been getting out much at all due to the wind and cold. Although I 'managed' a 72 miler a couple of weeks ago on my geared bike (including a trundle over Kirkstone pass).
It's been turbo trainer all the way at the moment. As soon as the weather gets better I'll be out more, especially as the days get longer.
Has a date been finalised yet?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nothing of any distance but all commuting miles are fixed so about 100 a week on average

I've not been getting out much at all due to the wind and cold. Although I 'managed' a 72 miler a couple of weeks ago on my geared bike (including a trundle over Kirkstone pass).
It's been turbo trainer all the way at the moment. As soon as the weather gets better I'll be out more, especially as the days get longer.
Has a date been finalised yet?
11th May, if I change that date 4F will not be a happy teddy, and neither will teddy who will find himself in a corner.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
11th May, if I change that date 4F will not be a happy teddy, and neither will teddy who will find himself in a corner.
:laugh:
What time would you expect the ride to finish? I'm just thinking in terms of having to drive back 'oop north' that night as I'll be in work the following morning. I might be able to persuade my better half to pilot us back.

I am assuming you will be staying down here the night before? Let me know if you need any help with that if you are. I think the latest we want to be away is 0900, but if we can make it any earlier so much the better, this will be dependent on everyone of course. I would hope to be back by 1700 give or take.
When we go up to your neck of the woods we went A1 and A66. I think I remember we did Keswick in about 3 hrs 15 mins. All being well it might even still be light when you get home.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I am assuming you will be staying down here the night before? Let me know if you need any help with that if you are. I think the latest we want to be away is 0900, but if we can make it any earlier so much the better, this will be dependent on everyone of course. I would hope to be back by 1700 give or take.
When we go up to your neck of the woods we went A1 and A66. I think I remember we did Keswick in about 3 hrs 15 mins. All being well it might even still be light when you get home.
I've got family in Melton so I should be able to blag an overnight the night before.
I'm in the South Lakes so A66 is a good bit out of my way. A1 is the usual and then cutting across the M62 and then onto the M6. Sometimes I head across country on the A500 and then north on the M6.
I was more concerned with staying awake driving home after 8 hours on the bike. :ohmy:
I'm hoping to persuade my co-pilot to drive home!
^_^

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Up until now most of my fixed rides have been 30 mile max. The biggest problem being that whichever way you go it's hard to do a route that doesn't have a few bloomin' big hills in the way.
This isn't helped by me raising my gearing a bit (now on 48/16- 80inch). Anyhow, today I bit the bullet and despite the 20+mph winds did a rather lovely 68 miles. Yay - go me!:wahhey:
The route I took is here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4068513 and is relatively flat apart from the big lump at 10 1/2 miles that nearly killed me and the rather larger but less steep lump at 20m. I was really flagging on the last 10miles - grovelling into the headwind, despite it being flat.

So what are you guys up to? Any big rides done or in the pipeline?
Only two months (and a bit) to go :tongue:

Not too bad, better than last year that's for sure, we did 81 miles at a quick pace last weekend that had me cramping for the last 15 miles. Tomorrow another reliability ride with Melton Olympic which in all will be over 70 miles, I think this will be tougher because of the strong wind forecast. As you have discovered a big gear fixed into the wind isn't easy. Why are you riding such a big gear up there?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Not too bad, better than last year that's for sure, we did 81 miles at a quick pace last weekend that had me cramping for the last 15 miles. Tomorrow another reliability ride with Melton Olympic which in all will be over 70 miles, I think this will be tougher because of the strong wind forecast. As you have discovered a big gear fixed into the wind isn't easy. Why are you riding such a big gear up there?
It sounds like a bad forecast tomorrow, I'm going to wimp out.
Re the big gears - On my usual routes I just spin out way too soon and I've not had any problems on the hills. I know I'm way over-geared if I headed off to the mountains but on the rolling hills it's all good. I wouldn't go any bigger and I've got the 18t sprocket on the other side of the hub in case I need a bail out.

Bump. Thought it best to warn everyone that the ride may be off, I say "may" because I go in for the shoulder op on Tuesday. The advice is that it will be 3 months before I can lift heavy objects [think about wrestling a fixed uphill], I can't do anything for at least one week and will be unable to drive for a minimum of 4 weeks. Without getting too graphic if they don't find anything else besides just having removing some bone, plus I make a miraculous recovery, it is possible the ride may be on. However I don't want to let anyone down so how would everyone feel if we put it back one month? Meanwhile I am working on something that will enable me to sit on the turbo / rollers asap.
Feel bad about this but I was a being a bit optomistic I guess, should have paid more attention to what @fossyant was saying.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS it's worth it in the long run, but you will be sore for about 18 months, not the three to six they say, as you are a fit active fella.

Use it as soon as possible, it will hurt. I was back on the bike for gentle stuff in two weeks, and did a hilly controlled ride after four weeks. Back to commuting after about seven, but it did not feel great for a very long time. I also had myofacial pain too, that eventually got addressed with some steroid injections.

Thumbs up though, I would recommend getting it done. Just don't expect a fast recovery even though you are fit. It's our sport that causes the stress. My man bits know about this very much...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best of luck. You will start laughing at how badly you can get dressed.. You will need help at first. Be prepared though, you've beat some other crap fast, but it's a complicated joint. Do push the hospital physio though, explain your history...

Chin up, it feels like shite after the stated recovery period, why, because you are fit and active. It gets better though... Takes time..

Best wishes mate. PM me if needed..

colly

Re member eR
Bump. Thought it best to warn everyone that the ride may be off, I say "may" because I go in for the shoulder op on Tuesday. The advice is that it will be 3 months before I can lift heavy objects [think about wrestling a fixed uphill], I can't do anything for at least one week and will be unable to drive for a minimum of 4 weeks. Without getting too graphic if they don't find anything else besides just having removing some bone, plus I make a miraculous recovery, it is possible the ride may be on. However I don't want to let anyone down so how would everyone feel if we put it back one month? Meanwhile I am working on something that will enable me to sit on the turbo / rollers asap.
Feel bad about this but I was a being a bit optomistic I guess, should have paid more attention to what @fossyant was saying.

Phew !!
Don't feel bad about it, not on my account anyway. I haven't even looked at my bike since Feb or early March so if you do put it back I will be able to get some miles in before hand. ^_^
I hope your op goes well and the recovery is sure and swift. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom