The annoying thing about helmets...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What's wrong with second hand pants? So long as you darn the holes!
A while ago, I bought a pair of army surplus arctic rated long johns on ebay. "MOD Extreme Weather" or something. There was an indelible brown/yellow stain somewhere near the groin area. The seller told me it was due to a leak of hydraulic fluid at the storage depot.

They were really warm and cost pennies.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
After a while, hot sweaty helmets suddenly start to stink something horrible. It suddenly creeps up on you. A big bucket, a large weight, and a whole load of Ariel Bio sorts it out, but you are left with a feeling of not quite knowing how bad your bonce smelled before you realised that drastic action was required. It's a worry.

swansonj

Guru
Pinching your skin under the chin with the clasp is the most irritating kind of pain known to mankind.
Twenty years ago, we got our one-year-old daughter into a nursery up the road a bit, and bought a cycle trailer to transport her there, It had quite a big novelty value, and on the first day, pretty well all the nursery staff came out to see me put her into it at the end of the day. I managed to pinch her skin in the clasp of one of the straps. She, understandably, screamed blue murder for the next fifteen minutes. I do not think I created a good impression of cycling Dads.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For the follicly challenged the sweat just lingers in the padding. Ewww cold wet sweaty head after a brief stop.

The simple answer to that one is to wear a buff on your head; it soaks up sweat, keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter when you can even pull it down over your ears, it makes the helmet more comfortable and you don't get smelly helmet pads.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Leaving aside euphemisms, I don't wear one, unless it's required for an event (sportive etc).
I find them uncomfortable to wear, and the flow of air gives me sinus-freeze, or ice-cream headache, as I call it.

Stephenite

Membå
Twenty years ago, we got our one-year-old daughter into a nursery up the road a bit, and bought a cycle trailer to transport her there, It had quite a big novelty value, and on the first day, pretty well all the nursery staff came out to see me put her into it at the end of the day. I managed to pinch her skin in the clasp of one of the straps. She, understandably, screamed blue murder for the next fifteen minutes. I do not think I created a good impression of cycling Dads.
I often take my, now, 4 year old in the trailer or in the bike seat. He has known this pain. He stays stock still now when his helmet's coming on or off.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I wish I was joking. Just last Thursday evening, the Hole, a group of 4 cyclists came in and sat round a table slowly sipping their pints while retaining their helmets in place. Why? I do not know, perhaps they were scared they would be stolen or damaged.
I can see their point. There are a few pubs I have been in where wearing a cycle helmet would make sense; as would full body armour!
Come to think about it; they are probably much more useful in a pub than they are on a bike .... I wonder what the stats are on head injuries in pubs v head injuries on cycles? I would place more faith in a plastic hat protecting me from a glancing blow from a pool cue more than I would from an off on a bike.

Last edited:

SteveF

[QUOTE 3835433, member: 259"]It could be worse - it could be Marge![/QUOTE]
Ha Ha... or Sideshow Bob

broadway

Veteran
I wish I was joking. Just last Thursday evening, the Hole, a group of 4 cyclists came in and sat round a table slowly sipping their pints while retaining their helmets in place. Why? I do not know, perhaps they were scared they would be stolen or damaged.

Maybe they were drinking helmets?

Top Bottom