Winchester to London (well Croydon actually) - 28 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
No.

mikeee

After the disappointment and letting all my lovely darn sarf riding buddies down on the Brighton ride I feel I need to make ammends and journey down for this.
Never been to Winchester but I believe its very nice
Need to ride up Box Hill (have definately heard it mentioned in cycling circles before!!)
Been through Croydon on a train
Gutted for Teef, hope your on the mend soon.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Never been to Winchester but I believe its very nice
It is on the whole, although the area around the station and the planned route out of town are not on the tourist trail. They've also just put a mahoosive scaffold roof on the cathedral while they fix the lead, which is a shame.

Anybody fancy a short loop around the sights and prettier parts of the city before the ride proper starts, I can run a flat 20 minute loop that would have us back at the station in time for kick-off.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Just a little bump for this. Could those of you who are definitely coming along ping me a PM with your mobile number in case ipof last minute change of plans. I'll then reply with mine.

I'll post the final routes (there and back) mid-week and will ring both cafe stops to check they'll be open. For anyone who wants to ride down to Winchester with me, the plan is still to leave HPC at 2.00am. The ride proper will leave Winchester station at 9.00am. And don't forget, the ride ends at Croydon, not Central London, although it's an easy (15 mile) ride back to the centre of town or a short train ride.

Cheers
Ross

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just a little bump for this. Could those of you who are definitely coming along ping me a PM with your mobile number in case ipof last minute change of plans. I'll then reply with mine.

I'll post the final routes (there and back) mid-week and will ring both cafe stops to check they'll be open. For anyone who wants to ride down to Winchester with me, the plan is still to leave HPC at 2.00am. The ride proper will leave Winchester station at 9.00am. And don't forget, the ride ends at Croydon, not Central London, although it's an easy (15 mile) ride back to the centre of town or a short train ride.

Cheers
Ross
You have PM.

sagefly

Veteran
Pm sent, see you on Saturday

mikeee

Advice, help needed please!
Planning to drive down to London, Croydon Friday night for the 2am HPC depart, any ideas n suitable (read cheap!!!) car parking?
Many thanks.......

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Early weather forecasts indicate it's likely to be dry but very blowy (about 20 mph according to both the Beeb and the Norwegians)- vaguely like a tailwind for the main ride and London-Winchester (shifting direction during the morning) but looking more like a crosswind should I ride up. Might opt to let the train take the strain for that first part and I'll have to weigh up return options, crosswind would be nasty.

Last edited:

sagefly

Veteran
Any Londoners interested in group save from Waterloo to Winchester on Saturday morning for this ride?

Eddie_C

Über Member
Ross
I'd like to join you on the ride down (0200 from HPC) - chance for a belated Mothers' Day visit!
Eddie

Top Bottom