£3k - What would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Be interested to see how you find the R J.ACK as its on my list of possibles :okay:
I think you should grab one and let me know how it is. :smile:

I have emailed them a few questions on Friday, but not heard back yet. I can accept that on Easter Bank Holiday, considering they are a smaller company.

Will post back anything of interest.

vickster

Legendary Member
There’s at least one J Laverack owning cyclechatter
The short warranty put me off when I was seriously considering a disc braked Ti in the summer

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
The short warranty put me off when I was seriously considering a disc braked Ti in the summer
That is the only worry. Even if it came with a longer warranty, it’s a risk with newer/smaller companies I guess.

Also like the Enigma Evade Ti, so checking that out too. Not as exclusive as the J. Laverack though.

vickster

Legendary Member
That is the only worry. Even if it came with a longer warranty, it’s a risk with newer/smaller companies I guess.

Also like the Enigma Evade Ti, so checking that out too. Not as exclusive as the J. Laverack though.
Enigma are much more customisable though

The J Guillem Orient might reappear on my wish list at some point before July 5

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry. Bikes in general I meant.

Did you get a ride in any?
Yes. Very springy as Ti is. Might have been the Etape non disc

I’ve also ridden the Orient and the Spa Elan (The price clearly reflects the finishing and attention to detail)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
(Not trying to be provocative, just interested alert)

It's my perception that, considering how relatively few there are out there, Ti frames seem disproportionately prone to cracking.

...or is it that I've noticed one or two and am suffering from confirmation bias, 'n' stuff?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
My comment with my only knowledge of bpsmith from here is that ti bike just doesn't seem to match your riding style.

Perhaps that's down to my pre conceptions of ti bikes being all day tourer, pannier racks and leather toe clips maybe rounded off with a brooks saddle. Don't ask me where all that came from

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
(Not trying to be provocative, just interested alert)

It's my perception that, considering how relatively few there are out there, Ti frames seem disproportionately prone to cracking.

...or is it that I've noticed one or two and am suffering from confirmation bias, 'n' stuff?
That's my thoughts, have known people in the past who have ridden them, but they don't ride them now.

vickster

Legendary Member
My comment with my only knowledge of bpsmith from here is that ti bike just doesn't seem to match your riding style.

Perhaps that's down to my pre conceptions of ti bikes being all day tourer, pannier racks and leather toe clips maybe rounded off with a brooks saddle. Don't ask me where all that came from
@ianrauk rides Ti, he doesn’t meet that stereotype for me although he rides long distances at high speeds

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I think you should grab one and let me know how it is. :smile:

I won't be in a position to order until the end of the summer & I've some time off work in September, so will be out for a few test rides before deciding.

Think I can live with a 10 year warranty, it's unlikely to be a manufacturing defect if it happens after 10 years & I'll probably apply for a credit card to pay the deposit for that extra bit of insurance, although not sure if it would cover the 10 year warranty should the company stop trading :blush:

Top Bottom