42mph in a 30mph zone

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nice to see 'Mr Clean' getting off on a technicality,even though he admits to doing 59 mph in a 40 mph zone.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...arrives-court-fight-stars-speeding-charge.htm He could easily have taken the points,but he instead decided to employ that greasy git to argue his case. God knows why the greasy git charges many thousands to get them off points that us commoners would have to absorb? Surely if the 'police speeding letter' arrives too late then any solicitor out there could point this out to a magistrate.

He doesn't. The court decides whether a person is convicted of an offence, not the defending lawyer. All he does is to put his clients case to the bench and by all accounts this guy is pretty good at that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And what is that case? "The speeding letter arrived late". Does it need special talent to say that to the court? I must be missing something here.
Any decent solicitor would have said the same thing whether his client was a celebrity or not, the fact that Beckham chose to pay for Freeman is his business.

The law that states a NIP must be sent out within a certain time frame applies in all cases and if it was me I'd have used the same defence, as I suspect would all of us despite what may be claimed on here. Whether you think that particular law is good or bad does not alter the fact that it is the law.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think anyone is disputing that it is the law. What aggrieves us is that someone can endanger those around them in such a cavalier manner and get away with it because of a piece of process which exists because the Government of the time didn't want to be seen as being "unfair" to motorists. No other category of offender is permitted such a narrow window for a prosecution process to commence, even those who commit offences that present no risk to society. It's just another example of the motoring masses again getting their own way, because every Government places their chances of re-election ahead of their duty to do the right thing.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Any decent solicitor would have said the same thing whether his client was a celebrity or not
That's what i'm questioning. Why does it need a 'celebrity lawyer', when as you say, any decent solicitor could get you off the points and fine?

Edit... Also. Why aren't the police sending the letters out before the time limit if they know this technicality will be brought up in the defense?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No other category of offender is permitted such a narrow window for a prosecution process to commence, even those who commit offences that present no risk to society. It's just another example of the motoring masses again getting their own way, because every Government places their chances of re-election ahead of their duty to do the right thing.
Digital cameras present the evidence to the police within seconds of the offence being committed, unlike in more serious cases where they might not be informed until well after the event and evidence needs to be gathered, witnesses interviewed, etc. The whole process is automated so there is no reason a NIP cannot be sent out in good time.

Plod simply cocked this one up.

Top Bottom