A thread for garmin problems you've fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yet my Garmin Edge Touring battery life is excellent. It will last a good 12 hours and more.
Garmins are funny things.
Mine was pre-loved when I got it from a well known auction site and has never made it to double figures, gives up after seven or so. Off to read @Crackle 's thread as an alternative to working.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I know a few people who use a 200 and they have no problems either.

It seemed strange that Garmin had been quite capable of designing some reliable GPS products but others have been notoriously unreliable. Somebody suggested to me that it was because of business takeovers/mergers resulting in different electronic engineers coming in and others leaving the company. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it.
Parallel software development teams. Their tin is generally pretty good, the code, less so.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Parallel software development teams. Their tin is generally pretty good, the code, less so.
Actually, yes, it might have been different software teams rather than different hardware ones! Mind you, management should have taken charge and enforced standards. It is crazy how long serious bugs on certain models have remained unfixed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The last but one update on the 705 very much nearly borked them - the GPS went right off. Instructions were out straight away to roll it back a version, then a new update was released. That was the last update.

Howyadoinoutthere

My Edge 1000 at random times will display "touchscreen locked" and I am unable to do anything unless I stop my ride and start it again. Does anyone know how to disable the touchscreen lock feature?

When you press and hold the button on the left hand side to shut the Edge 1000 down what message shows? I have "Lock Screen" at the top and at the bottom:
Power Options
Sleep
Power Off

I see that if you press Lock Screen it changes to Unlock Screen.
I don't know if it helps but may be worth checking.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Actually, yes, it might have been different software teams rather than different hardware ones! Mind you, management should have taken charge and enforced standards. It is crazy how long serious bugs on certain models have remained unfixed.

It is often management who cause the problems trying to hit deadlines with no respect for the estimates or realities they are given by the lead engineers. Cost and time overriding quality. You can blame Star Trek for this, Scotty saying she'll never make it, Kirk overruling and everything turning out alright.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is often management who cause the problems trying to hit deadlines with no respect for the estimates or realities they are given by the lead engineers. Cost and time overriding quality. You can blame Star Trek for this, Scotty saying she'll never make it, Kirk overruling and everything turning out alright.
Indeed!

Or even the simple Jean-Luc Picard version ...

Make It So.jpg

:laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Division2... Tough game.... Top tip kill everyone :okay:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Garmin Edge 1000: the "2019 bug". Fixing files so Strava will accept them:
This is where rides are marked with a date, often in April 2019, which causes the strava upload to fail. Garmin will almost certainly never fix this problem
I guess this is a Strava problem rather than a Garmin problem.

As I understand it, the April 2019 problem is that GPS works on week numbers, and when the date got to the end of week 1023, on April 6th, the next week was week 0. If you have a file for week 1022, before the change over, and load it to Strava after the changeover, the week number can be interpreted as giving a date in 2039, which causes the file to be rejected.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/12/current_gps_epoch_ends/

GPX files will be OK - they hold the date as text, like "2019-04-12T08:13:45Z".

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The latest model is delivered to a launch date determined by sales and marketing not by the engineering teams
Once launched the product is, by definition, already obsolete as the engineering teams are already 3/4 through the build process for its replacement and successor.
Why bother fixing the bugs in the code in the now launched but obsolete current product when the new launch date of the new one, as determined by sales and marketing not by the engineering teams, is just around the corner and sheeple will just buy the latest one to work around the bugs in the current one anyway?

Product development by the customer. It's the 21st C way.

yello

My old 305 is still in use. It's battery life is probably not as good as new but it more than suffices for my needs.

I have had to replace the rubber button covers as I'd worn them through (spares kindly provided by someone whose 305 had died) This involved prising the unit apart and was surprisingly straightforward, much like a battery replacement.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My Edge 810 now refuses to sync with my phone :sad: Been working reasonably well up until recently. So I assume its an app update thats broke it ?? Really not sure I would buy another Garmin. Tempted now to try some other brands ? Suuntu or something.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Did that worked once and now it’s broke again. Had this before and it magically started working again. Might be time to jump brands

Top Bottom