ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Q,R,S and T yesterday https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-1729#post-6035280
The Q as indicated previously is a bit off tangent and due to my own incompetence I failed to video the T, although had passed through and videoed a T earlier on the ride. UW and Y are relatively easy but I am going to have to use the three passes on V X and Z. There is a hill V north of Thirsk with a farm of the same name but Google Streetscene does not show a signboard for the farm at the end of its access so that does not look like a possible fudge.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
N & O today.
1592227024477.png

1592227044526.png

Alveston, Berkeley, Cam, Dursley, Eastington, Frocester, Gossington Bridge, Ham, Iron Acton, [J skipped], Kingswood, Little Badminton, Malmesbury, Newport, Oldbury-on-Severn.

Mike_P

Guru
With only Y to go (on the basis X and Z are impossible) thinking of a keyboard version next QWERTY. Indeed the Q (which would be the same fudge again) and W would neatly follow on from the Y and ERTYU make up a neat combination with a couple of changes from those used for the ABC.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
For my "namesakes" version of this challenge I've been stuck on G for most of the year; there seem to be surprisingly few good examples nationwide and the one I'd been looking at was Grosmont, which lies just inside the forbidden land west of Offa's Dyke.

Then I noticed there's a Gretton in Northants, significantly larger than the one near here and, crucially, the Wikipedia entry is the one that Google lists first. So my ride of a couple of days ago was planned accordingly, with H easily picked up a bit later on:

Despite the miracle of Strava, I can't tell you the other guy's name this time.

Much the most suitable I seems to be Ireland in Bedfordshire, which would require a different sort of adventure to anything I've been able to do lately. Alternatively there's a little place called Iron Cross, north of Evesham which does have signs and which I can get to much more easily. It's a namesake after a fashion.

But I can only see one J - Jersey Marine, near Swansea. I'm expect the locals call it simply "Jersey". This is going to take a while.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Out today riding to churches for the church pic thread I stopped to take this pic for this thread. My input here will probably be intermittent and when I do post will very likely replicate some of @Spinney's photos as it seems we live in the same neck of the woods, indeed a pic of my home village sign has already been posted by her/him.

Anyway here's a pic of a sign for Ashleworth taken on today's ride.

Top Bottom