And most Overrated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PaulB said:
:laugh: Steve Wonder is generally acknowledged to be one of the most gifted musicians on the planet today. Esteemed classical musicians and musical critics rate Wonder as a genuine heir of Mozart and Beethoven and his songs have brought pleasure to millions and millions of people. But then you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't like Stevie Wonder either. These "overrated" threads are always difficult though; you need to distinguish between stuff that is good but not your thing (eg, Frank Sinatra, for me - I'd rather cut my ears off) and stuff that is genuinely overrated (eg, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Robbie F*cking Williams and so forth). Phil Collins is a good drummer, by all accounts.:smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
I don't like Stevie Wonder either.

I don't get that. Not that I'm a super-fan of Wonder's but I'm amazed people can come out with such a line. Wonder's career has spanned five decades and encompassed several genres of music. From the poppy early energetic stuff through to the political 70's output to the smooth, soulful mid 80s albums, he has consistently stood head and shoulders above most of his peers and is still coming outr with the odd gem today. Okay, it's generally accepted his lyrics don't always match up to the musical ability he displays and he has produced some turgid MOR crap at times but come on! I'll bet if you examined his output more closely, you'd find lots of stuff you'd like.

Whatever accusation you care to throw at Stevie Wonder, over-rated could never be one of them.

PaulB said:
I don't get that. Not that I'm a super-fan of Wonder's but I'm amazed people can come out with such a line. Wonder's career has spanned five decades and encompassed several genres of music. From the poppy early energetic stuff through to the political 70's output to the smooth, soulful mid 80s albums, he has consistently stood head and shoulders above most of his peers and is still coming outr with the odd gem today. Okay, it's generally accepted his lyrics don't always match up to the musical ability he displays and he has produced some turgid MOR crap at times but come on! I'll bet if you examined his output more closely, you'd find lots of stuff you'd like.

Whatever accusation you care to throw at Stevie Wonder, over-rated could never be one of them.

You haven't actually read my previous post, have you? I made just the same distinction between "I don't like X" and "X is overrated". I also don't like Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra or Yes, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're good. Stevie Wonder may well be culturally important, very clever and musically excellent, but I don't like the noise he makes. No further explanations needed.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
:wacko: It's the name of my band. We nick ideas from anywhere we can. Including (I think) a Stevie Wonder riff, which really is ironic.

Where do you play? I haven't seen a live band for ages and no-one decent ever plays round here. There's a guy who looks like a right dosser who goes in our local and when he's had a few on a Saturday night, he can be persuaded to get out his guitar and sing. I have to say he is tremendous and I love the way he plays but it looks and sounds odd coming from him as he's such a Harry Ramp.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Can't decide, but anyone who can't play their own instruments, write the songs etc.

Basically they are just karaoke performers.

PaulB said:
Where do you play? I haven't seen a live band for ages and no-one decent ever plays round here. There's a guy who looks like a right dosser who goes in our local and when he's had a few on a Saturday night, he can be persuaded to get out his guitar and sing. I have to say he is tremendous and I love the way he plays but it looks and sounds odd coming from him as he's such a Harry Ramp.

Mostly around Herefordshire and the Midlands. We're doing a few festivals this year. Keep an eye on the MySpace link in my signature, it all appears on there sooner or later. If you come to a gig, make yourself known to me and I'll buy you a beer.:smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Mostly around Herefordshire and the Midlands. We're doing a few festivals this year. Keep an eye on the MySpace link in my signature, it all appears on there sooner or later. If you come to a gig, make yourself known to me and I'll buy you a beer.:smile:

Count me in!

Top Bottom