Another pathetic dim witted tweeting driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im not defending her as what she said is moronic but as for being fined and given 3 points as long as the car was out of gear and the handbrake on then she hasn't done anything wrong with taking and tweeting the pic.

She could have taken a different route to work as if it was a race surely it would have been advertised before the day of the race....I change my stance...hang the bitch lol

She's in the middle of a road in a car using a mobile. Ban her for life.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Perhaps it is the stated intention to run over cyclists that is also part of the problem?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
This, exactly 100% this. You aren't stuck in traffic, you ARE the traffic. The cyclists aren't holding you up, the traffic is. They will be out of your way long before those cars in front are too...

While cutting her any slack at all feel slightly dirty. There is the possibility that she's been stuck around bikes that weren't sat in traffic for the last 5 miles and she's waited until she was sat still in traffic to take the picture. We drove to Bedgebury with the mountain bikes yesterday and around 8 miles of the route coincided with the Tour of Kent (or similarly named) Sportive. There were a lot of bikes doing 15-20mph on NSL roads. We were fine, we know what it's all about. I took conservative gaps where they came up to make a little progress, but was happy to pretend I was kind of involved. I'm not sure the other cars around us (including the VW directly behind me, I can't believe he would've only taken the gaps I chose) shared the sensation.

I'm not saying she's right, I'm not saying it needs forgiving. But the concept of understanding in what way she's broken (she can't work out that everyone on the road is allowed to be there, the speed limit is a maximum not a target and threatening to cause someone actual harm is never a joke) is something I can get behind.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Im not defending her as what she said is moronic but as for being fined and given 3 points as long as the car was out of gear and the handbrake on then she hasn't done anything wrong with taking and tweeting the pic.

She could have taken a different route to work as if it was a race surely it would have been advertised before the day of the race....I change my stance...hang the bitch lol
Still unlawful, and I suspect few who have a phone within that close reach restrict to only using it whilst not moving. So for me they haven't the correct attitude to be driving and at the minimum need a kick up the backside to wake them up to the dangers they present to others and themselves.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If she thinks that is a bike race then she is very clueless. OK, one guy has a number on his rucksack. Yes, I said rucksack. That will be the Cavendish, then, I guess!
She thinks that is a bike race as much as she actually intends to run them over, ie not in the slightest.

Paul99

Über Member

I think this applies if you are parked up safely, not in lane 2.

Edit: Confirmed https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Retribution03

I stand corrected :smile: but as my other post states I'm hanging the bitch anyway lol

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What she says is that she was stück behind them all the way to work. I agree that there is nothing wrong with the photo she posted. But if like my experience last week, there are 40 more bikes in front of them who take up the whole of your side of the road for mile after mile without leaving any gaps for anyone to overtake, it is frustrating.

I didnt want to batter down the road at 100 mile an hour but myself and the huge queue stück behind this peleton of day cyclists did want to make progress.

Steve

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What she says is that she was stück behind them all the way to work. I agree that there is nothing wrong with the photo she posted. But if like my experience last week, there are 40 more bikes in front of them who take up the whole of your side of the road for mile after mile without leaving any gaps for anyone to overtake, it is frustrating.
In the picture, I see four bikes, and four cars. The cars are taking up more space :smile:

TBH, anyone living/driving in Britain who thinks bikes are the reason they're getting held up in traffic so often surely qualifies for dual citizenship in cloud cuckoo land.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What if it was several tractors? That happens sometimes, and then car drivers don't see it as such a blockage! I've been stuck behind one for several miles on my commute before now.
What if it was cars?

The things are so inefficient at using space that it only takes, say, one set of temporary traffic lights to bring everything to a complete standstill. And it's not always safe for more efficient traffic to filter past either.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Interesting @summerdays nobody ever tweets about being stuck behind tractors, combine harvesters, wide loads etc and wants to run them off the road. Good point well raised.
Stupid tweeters only seem interested in damaging vulnerable road users. I wonder how long it will be before a picture of a lollypop lady and a load of kids crossing the road will appear on twitter with an attached rant? We get held up by our lollypop lady for ages and ages. She gets to the middle of the road when she sees people coming! Lets one car through at a time some days. Sure it slows us down but people have to use the road safely.

Top Bottom